Hutch1975

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Edmonton Oilers
  1. Brigham Young Cougars
Is Mitch Trubisky a bad quarterback? Let's look at some other QBs drafted (excluding Mahomes) in the 1st round from 2015-2018, and see their career numbers as compared to Mitch.

QB A: 75 games, 70 starts, 19,812 passing yards, 121 TD, 88 INT, 264.4 yds/game, 86.9 rating over career, 28-42-0 record as starter
QB B: 64 games, 61 starts, 13,433 passing yards, 77 TD, 45 INT, 209.9 yds/game, 85.9 rating over career, 29-32-0 record as starter
QB C: 68 games, 68 starts, 17,937 passing yards, 107 TD, 54 INT, 263.8 yds/game, 92 rating over career, 42-26-0 record as starter
QB D: 68 games, 68 starts, 16,811 passing yards, 113 TD, 50 INT, 247.2 yds/game, 89.2 rating over career, 35-32-1 record as starter
QB E: 52 games, 51 starts, 13,850 passing yards, 98 TD, 35 INT, 266.3 yds/game, 103.7 rating over career, 28-23-0 record as starter
QB F: 44 games, 43 starts, 10,634 passing yards, 74 TD, 43 INT, 241.7 yds/game, 89.7 rating over career, 22-21-0 record as starter
QB G: 36 games, 36 starts, 7,656 passing yards, 42 TD, 37 INT, 212.7 yds/game, 78.4 rating over career, 12-24-0 record as starter
QB H: 20 games, 16 starts, 2,845 passing yards, 12 TD, 19 INT, 142.3 yds/game, 63.5 rating over career, 3-13-0 record as starter

Mitch: 49 games, 48 starts, 10,092 passing yards, 62 TD, 35 INT, 206 yds/game, 87.1 rating over career, 28-20 record as starter

Really, the only QBs who are definitively better is QBs C, E, and F. The rest, you can make a good case that Trubisky has performed better. The numbers, I think point to Trubisky being a good quarterback, probably underappreciated due to his draft position (#2 overall), the fact he was traded up for (the Bears spent four picks to move up that one spot), and the phenomenal success of Mahomes. But in terms of being a bad quarterback... I don't think that is fair to say.

Of the nine non-Mahomes QBs picked in the first round from 2015-2018, Mitch's rating is right in the middle. When he starts, his team has generally won - in fact, he's arguably got the second-best win-loss record among all these QBs.

What do the Bears need to do to help him get better? Probably fortify the offensive line - to the tune of a new RT and an eventual replacement for Leno at LT. The draft has two guys who I think could do that in Jackson Carman of Clemson (a 6'6", 345-pounder) and Daniel Faalele of Minnesota (6'9", 400 pounds). Which ends up at RT and which is the eventual LT is hard to say, but both also look to be very good in the run-blocking department.

Draft a young bruiser at RG to solidify that group (Trey Smith could plug in as starter, with Daniels as reserve), or draft Josh Myers in the first round (have him back up C/G behind Daniels-Mustipher-Whitehair), and then I think the Bears are in shape. They probably need another good RB as well to make Trubisky really effective, but I don't think Trubisky is a bad quarterback, and the comps of first round picks from 2015-2018 bear that out.

By the way, here are the comps:
QB A is Jameis Winston - currently a backup for the Saints
QB B is Marcus Mariota - currently a backup for the Raiders
QB C is Jared Goff - Rams starter
QB D is Carson Wentz - Eagles starter on his way out due to injuries
QB E is Deshaun Watson - Texans starter
QB F is Baker Mayfield - Browns stater
QB G is Sam Darnold - Jets starter
QB H is Josh Rosen - Buccaneers backup

Bust

Liked Posts:
Can he beat Green Bay? All that matters.

Bears are 3-18 vs Pack in last 20+ matchups

When a team gets swept every year by the top dawg in the division, said team is relegated to wildcard lottery hopes

Last edited:

Hutch1975

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Edmonton Oilers
  1. Brigham Young Cougars
Only thing i can say is he has looked better than hes ever looked since Nagy relinquished play calling duties. Even his throws look better.

Part of it, but in 2018, Nagy called plays, and Trubkisy made the Pro Bowl.

Mitch needs a great RB, a very strong O-Line, and a good TE to be at his best. He lost all of those in 2019, but I'd take his 2019 as a down year from any QB.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Ummmmmmmmmm.....:what:

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wentz+Trubs would be a good QB room.

So would Wentz+Foles.

Or Wentz+ a rookie.

I just found out Josh Rosen was available for free and we didn't sign him even after he got to observe Brady interact with human beings on a personal and relatable level for a bit. Seeing the GOAT handle the energy of a room must have been good for him, to see what leadership looks like.

Do they put pacifiers in the mouths of Rosen and Winston during meetings?

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

So would Wentz+Foles.

Or Wentz+ a rookie.

I just found out Josh Rosen was available for free and we didn't sign him even after he got to observe Brady interact with human beings on a personal and relatable level for a bit. Seeing the GOAT handle the energy of a room must have been good for him, to see what leadership looks like.

Curious if you watched Wentz lately. Last year he started to slide. This whole season has been a disaster, and since his benching the Eagles have shown some life. I don't know what happened.

Hutch1975

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Edmonton Oilers
  1. Brigham Young Cougars
Curious if you watched Wentz lately. Last year he started to slide. This whole season has been a disaster, and since his benching the Eagles have shown some life. I don't know what happened.

Wentz has injury problems. May end up being like Foles, a top 5 backup QB, but too fragile to be a starting QB.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I don't dislike Trubisky, but he has limitations. He has a propensity to shit his pants and take sacks, and to shit his pants and commit bad turnovers. Not a ton of them, but he still does it. He also has a horrible deep ball.

When the pocket is moving, he plays much better. When he's a threat to run the ball, he's a weapon. The biggest problem, is that his limitations make him a middling QB. Even if Lazor completely tailors his offense to suit Trubisky, and Trubisky plays really well all season long, he'll still just never be an elite QB.

We should not stop looking for a QB until we have an elite one that can take over any given game. We all know too well that a QB like that isn't easy to find, but that doesn't mean that we should settle for an "okay" QB. We need to find the one.

tcmtrinity

Liked Posts:
Wentz has injury problems. May end up being like Foles, a top 5 backup QB, but too fragile to be a starting QB.
Perhaps. But damn if he wasn't really good at times. I almost think if healthy (a big if) he could be a Ryan Tannahill type in the right situation.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
As bad as Wentz was this season, that OL was a bigger mess than ours. Get him healthy, and put him behind a decent OL(not ours), and he'll be much improved, I'm sure.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Is Mitch Trubisky a bad quarterback? Let's look at some other QBs drafted (excluding Mahomes) in the 1st round from 2015-2018, and see their career numbers as compared to Mitch.

QB A: 75 games, 70 starts, 19,812 passing yards, 121 TD, 88 INT, 264.4 yds/game, 86.9 rating over career, 28-42-0 record as starter
QB B: 64 games, 61 starts, 13,433 passing yards, 77 TD, 45 INT, 209.9 yds/game, 85.9 rating over career, 29-32-0 record as starter
QB C: 68 games, 68 starts, 17,937 passing yards, 107 TD, 54 INT, 263.8 yds/game, 92 rating over career, 42-26-0 record as starter
QB D: 68 games, 68 starts, 16,811 passing yards, 113 TD, 50 INT, 247.2 yds/game, 89.2 rating over career, 35-32-1 record as starter
QB E: 52 games, 51 starts, 13,850 passing yards, 98 TD, 35 INT, 266.3 yds/game, 103.7 rating over career, 28-23-0 record as starter
QB F: 44 games, 43 starts, 10,634 passing yards, 74 TD, 43 INT, 241.7 yds/game, 89.7 rating over career, 22-21-0 record as starter
QB G: 36 games, 36 starts, 7,656 passing yards, 42 TD, 37 INT, 212.7 yds/game, 78.4 rating over career, 12-24-0 record as starter
QB H: 20 games, 16 starts, 2,845 passing yards, 12 TD, 19 INT, 142.3 yds/game, 63.5 rating over career, 3-13-0 record as starter

Mitch: 49 games, 48 starts, 10,092 passing yards, 62 TD, 35 INT, 206 yds/game, 87.1 rating over career, 28-20 record as starter

Really, the only QBs who are definitively better is QBs C, E, and F. The rest, you can make a good case that Trubisky has performed better. The numbers, I think point to Trubisky being a good quarterback, probably underappreciated due to his draft position (#2 overall), the fact he was traded up for (the Bears spent four picks to move up that one spot), and the phenomenal success of Mahomes. But in terms of being a bad quarterback... I don't think that is fair to say.

Of the nine non-Mahomes QBs picked in the first round from 2015-2018, Mitch's rating is right in the middle. When he starts, his team has generally won - in fact, he's arguably got the second-best win-loss record among all these QBs.

What do the Bears need to do to help him get better? Probably fortify the offensive line - to the tune of a new RT and an eventual replacement for Leno at LT. The draft has two guys who I think could do that in Jackson Carman of Clemson (a 6'6", 345-pounder) and Daniel Faalele of Minnesota (6'9", 400 pounds). Which ends up at RT and which is the eventual LT is hard to say, but both also look to be very good in the run-blocking department.

Draft a young bruiser at RG to solidify that group (Trey Smith could plug in as starter, with Daniels as reserve), or draft Josh Myers in the first round (have him back up C/G behind Daniels-Mustipher-Whitehair), and then I think the Bears are in shape. They probably need another good RB as well to make Trubisky really effective, but I don't think Trubisky is a bad quarterback, and the comps of first round picks from 2015-2018 bear that out.

By the way, here are the comps:
QB A is Jameis Winston - currently a backup for the Saints
QB B is Marcus Mariota - currently a backup for the Raiders
QB C is Jared Goff - Rams starter
QB D is Carson Wentz - Eagles starter on his way out due to injuries
QB E is Deshaun Watson - Texans starter
QB F is Baker Mayfield - Browns stater
QB G is Sam Darnold - Jets starter
QB H is Josh Rosen - Buccaneers backup

6 foot 9
400 lb
Slow footed
Left tackle

Sounds awesome.

Try another mock where you get 20 picks and tell us how you drafted an entire rookie oline!!

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

So would Wentz+Foles.

Or Wentz+ a rookie.

I saw that too that the niners signed Rosen off of TB's practice squad. Sounds kinda like a no brainier to bring in a former first rounder. Odds are he sucks and a reason he was on the practice squad but he's gotta have more upside than Tyler Bray

Rgrigutis

Liked Posts:
Look, the one constant over the last 25 years or so has been ripping it up every 3-4 years. We have a gm who has made some mistakes but-he also has found some success. Nagy is learning and i think maybe hes turned a corner with trubisky. Phillips needs to be removed surgically from all football operations Looks like we might have something starting with the interior ol. Need tackles. Bars and whitehair both have played tackle in college. Got a fire started with montgomery. Kmet and mooney, nuf said. Gotta find a way to keep arob Oc has been a godsend. Really, the point is staying the course with what we’ve got, assuming we can keep trubisky. D has maybe another year or two left as presently configured and theres some guys waiting in the wings. Pagano can , should be replaced. We have the horsepower to dominate in a more aggressive scheme. This stuff is like trying to start a fire with wet wood. Theres really a lot of guys in this organization who I wouldn’t hesitate to go to war with. Forgive my rambling, I’m on my second dickel double. STAY THE COURSE!

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Look, the one constant over the last 25 years or so has been ripping it up every 3-4 years. We have a gm who has made some mistakes but-he also has found some success. Nagy is learning and i think maybe hes turned a corner with trubisky. Phillips needs to be removed surgically from all football operations Looks like we might have something starting with the interior ol. Need tackles. Bars and whitehair both have played tackle in college. Got a fire started with montgomery. Kmet and mooney, nuf said. Gotta find a way to keep arob Oc has been a godsend. Really, the point is staying the course with what we’ve got, assuming we can keep trubisky. D has maybe another year or two left as presently configured and theres some guys waiting in the wings. Pagano can , should be replaced. We have the horsepower to dominate in a more aggressive scheme. This stuff is like trying to start a fire with wet wood. Theres really a lot of guys in this organization who I wouldn’t hesitate to go to war with. Forgive my rambling, I’m on my second dickel double. STAY THE COURSE!
I hope you don't talk like you post.

Bust

Liked Posts:

While the Bears are up to the cap next year <thanks Robert Quinn!!> and will have decisions to make on Akiem Hicks and guys like Carlos Santos the EAGLES ARE ON ANOTHER LEVEL OF CAP HELL!

Wentz already came out publicly he is not interested in sitting on the bench and wants to be traded if he is a backup. Coming off the season he has no chance any team trades for him with his 39 milion dollar cap hit. Eagles can't release him cause they'll be absorbing 60 million dead cap hit in 2021 and 30 million dead cap hit in 2022

Eagles are screwed!