Perspective on Mitch Trubisky

CHIBEAR

Liked Posts:
I cant believe how many people are campaigning for us to get Bortled WTF

Mitch is not a good qb no matter how many times he shows up against a bad team and every other QB on that list would love to have 4 years of top 10 defensive play to bail them out . The fact that the OP was trying to claim Mitch wins when he starts is ridiculous when you consider things like

One of the few playoff teams we beat with Mitch starting was the Panthers(11-5) his rookie year but then you realize we beat them 17-3 and Ejax scored 2 td defensive tds LOL

2017 panthers 17-3
2018 Seahawks 24-17 difference in game is a Prince int return
2018 Rams 15-6 Mitch has 3 picks
2019 Vikings 21-19 difference in the game safety
2020 ~ would have to beat the packers

Anyone thinking that Pace , Nagy OR Mitch should be back has lost it . None of them have shown they deserve to be back as they have all been nothing short of mediocre

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:
The thing with Mitch is that he would be actually pretty good if he just could make many of the easy throws and reads he has missed in his career. All those deep balls that should have been easy TDs for example. He doesn’t need to be slinging it like Mahomes to be good. He just has left so many easy completions on the field that makes him an enigma.

I imagine it would be difficult making routine throws like that (other than the last 4 weeks) in an offense that doesn't let him get into a rhythm. Nagy's square peg in a round hole philosophy has not worked.

Think about it: Since Bill Lazor has taken over play calling duties, they've been running the kind of plays we have been screaming for. For the first time in his career he's being utilized to his strengths.

Since Lazor took over, Mitch has been undeniably sharp. For the first time since 1965, the Bears have scored 30 plus points in 4 consecutive games. I have to imagine the Bears are at or near the top of the league in scoring over the last 4 weeks. When is the last time we could say that?

Over 4 games, Mitch has thrown for 1,001 yards, he's thrown for7 TD's, rushed for 1 TD, and has only thrown 2 interceptions. Assuming that pace for a full season under Lazor, that's 4,004 yards, 28 passing TD's, 32 total TD's, 16 int's and just under75 percent complete.

Not only that but his presence immediately improves the run game since defenses have to worry about Mitch Scrambling. If his numbers would even come close to that over a full 16 game season under Lazor then I want to see more, especially given that he's still developing (really just started his development due to the bears mismanagement of him).

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:
I cant believe how many people are campaigning for us to get Bortled WTF

Mitch is not a good qb no matter how many times he shows up against a bad team and every other QB on that list would love to have 4 years of top 10 defensive play to bail them out . The fact that the OP was trying to claim Mitch wins when he starts is ridiculous when you consider things like

One of the few playoff teams we beat with Mitch starting was the Panthers(11-5) his rookie year but then you realize we beat them 17-3 and Ejax scored 2 td defensive tds LOL

2017 panthers 17-3
2018 Seahawks 24-17 difference in game is a Prince int return
2018 Rams 15-6 Mitch has 3 picks
2019 Vikings 21-19 difference in the game safety
2020 ~ would have to beat the packers

Anyone thinking that Pace , Nagy OR Mitch should be back has lost it . None of them have shown they deserve to be back as they have all been nothing short of mediocre

You are football Special person.

Hutch1975

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Edmonton Oilers
  1. Brigham Young Cougars
Not only that but his presence immediately improves the run game since defenses have to worry about Mitch Scrambling. If his numbers would even come close to that over a full 16 game season under Lazor then I want to see more, especially given that he's still developing (really just started his development due to the bears mismanagement of him).

I wouldn't say mismanaged.

In 2017, Fox rushed Trubisky in - largely because Glennon was an unmitigated disaster. But in 2018, Trubisky made a lot of progress under Nagy. 2019 was more about injuries to Burton, Gabriel, and on the O-Line, plus the trade of Jordan Howard than any regression on Mitch's part. This year, Nagy did go too long with Foles, should have handed over to Lazor sooner, and quite frankly, viewed the running game as an afterthought, if that.

mecha

Liked Posts:
I wouldn't say mismanaged.

In 2017, Fox rushed Trubisky in - largely because Glennon was an unmitigated disaster. But in 2018, Trubisky made a lot of progress under Nagy. 2019 was more about injuries to Burton, Gabriel, and on the O-Line, plus the trade of Jordan Howard than any regression on Mitch's part. This year, Nagy did go too long with Foles, should have handed over to Lazor sooner, and quite frankly, viewed the running game as an afterthought, if that.

he always ran the offense unbalanced. give Trubisky props, with the frequency Nagy had him passing he threw for like half as many interceptions as Cutler would year in and out. LOL

what's aggravating about these Nagy teams is they'll find success running and then Ron Turner it away like SB41. success on either side of the ball, they just completely abandon it. it's unbelievable.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Mitch is still Mitch. Not seeing things. Poor choices on options, reads, when to hold em and when to fold them etc. Viable in this O but we need to get prospects in the pipe. He'll never be better than midpack, even with that physical skill set. Can't replace his processor.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
Wentz blows trubisky away.
17-19 he averaged 3500 yards a year, 27 tds and 7 picks.
there is infinitely more reason to believe this year is an anomaly for him than there is reason to think trubs can finally hit his stride.

Darnold and rosen were flat out busts. Arizona moved on immediately and the jets were dumb as hell to keep darnold.

Mariota and Winston, if you compare the numbers, are literally the same guys as mitch for the most part. Both of those guys were sent packing from the team that drafted them. That was the right choice.

Chicago has spent 17 years give or take trying to build an all star roster to prop up 3 middling or poor qbs, and despite some spectacular defenses and rushing attacks, it gets chicago nowhere.
It is about damn time they try a different, more decisive route.
Where’s the all star offensive players?!

crazy buddy

Karensman

Liked Posts:
The decision on Trubisky [ as well as all the coaching staff ] will be made after tomorrow's game with Green Bay. It's okay to talk hypothetical but if the Bears win and Trubisky continues to play well, we may not be able to financially absorb his salary hit. I have felt all along that Trubisky is a much better QB than most Bears fans think. I blame that on the less than brilliant sports writers who expect him to perform at Mahomes level. Note : I also blame it on Nagy who wants him to play like Mahomes instead of just playing like himself. What is not really pointed out is that Mahomes has a Tyreek Hill & Travis Kelsey to help him out rather than scrbs like Wims and Adam Shaheen. I was also curious about Trubisky's "down year" last year when he came back from a shoulder injury [ most likely too soon ] and played with a shoulder harness to protect him. I'm guessing he was warned not to try to run the ball at all because of the danger of further injury but limiting his mobility hinders one of his best assets. He did not play well but none of his teammates " threw him under the bus" because of his lack of success.
I'm one of the few that thought that he would be a better option than Foles before the season started because of his mobility. Nagy panicked and brought Foles into the 3rd game and Trubisky became an afterthought. He rotted on the bench while Foles proved that an immobile QB would be a disaster with our O-line and his inept play calling. Nagy watched the Bears [ and possibly his head coaching career ] go down the tubes after losing 5 games in a row and was forced to make a move to Trubisky because Foles was too banged up. In a strange twist, Trubisky was the catalyst for a major offensive turnabout which depending on tomorrow's game, may have rescued Nagy's career in Chicago.
During the 5 game losing streak, our offense performed at a level that was complete s--t. After initial resistance, Nagy was shamed into giving up the play calling due to the complete ineptitude of the offense. Foles had issues with the play calling saying that many of the plays that Nagy wanted to run were not likely to be successful, as well as Nagy refused to let the offense play quickly when they started to get into a rhythm . BTW, Foles has had some success - if you consider winning a Super Bowl a good bullet point on a resume.
After 3 weeks of the "new" Trubisky and a revamped offensive line, Nagy held a press conference and told the reporters that the 5 weeks off for Trubisky may have saved his career and he is a new QB ! Thanks to the genius of Nagy ! In response Trubisky told the reporters that his newfound success was due to the offense being changed and now structured to feature plays that were more suited to Trubisky's strengths. I'm guessing that there is less than a close relationship between the two. I also think that under no circumstances does Trubisky want to play for Nagy after the end of this year. If management decides to keep Nagy , Trubisky will sign elsewhere.

Karensman

Liked Posts:
I
This is where we completely agree! So fucking mark the post bud!

He isn’t great! I hope he would be, and cheered for him to be.

The proof shows that he’s a good NFL QB with the ability to win games and get first downs in multiple ways. He won games with the most stubborn and delusional playcaller in franchise history. Now with a more traditional and balanced offense he has 5 TDs and 1 really stupid red zone interception in 3 games. The offense putting up 30 points was unheard and unimaginable 4 weeks ago! Now all of a sudden it’s not a big deal because it’s Mitch?

30 points is solid no matter who you play!

I’d like to see Nagy stay on as HC and Lazor groomed into the next HC for the Bears.

This gives Nagy a chance to redeem his career next year as HC. And move somewhere else with his positive reputation in tact.

Whether Mitch is here or not you need either a solid LT or a mobile QB to play here. You already have the winning QB and now your playcalling finally fits him. You do not have a LT. You still need a good one to play pocket passer football.
ly agree

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Thanks for the perspective. I just tried to turn around after a hit and run and threw two interceptions in the end zone

Karensman

Liked Posts:
The only thing we disagree with on is that i would prefer someone other than Nagy next year. I was a big Nagy fan when he first got here but as time went on I began to question some of his decision making. Most fans forget the double doink loss to the Eagles in the 2018 playoffs which Nagy as well as everyone else blamed on the kicker . What I remember is that Trubisky drove them into field goal range and Nagy had him take a knee rather than get closer to improve the chances of a successful kick. There was another game in 2019 when he did the same and we lost and he refused to respond to reporters because he would make the same decision every time. I'm not sure that being stubborn and unwilling to adjust is the road to success for an NFL Head Coach.
In his first year as head coach, Nagy used onside kicks, fake punts, a lot of gimmick plays etc. which were mostly successful. Since that first year he forgot them. His offense play calling was :
First Down : incomplete pass
Second Down : inside plunge up the middle for 2 yards
Third Down : Long pass attempt either incomplete or QB sacked.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Trestman did similar, just not in a playoff game. It was zero confidence in his offense

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Irregardless as we say on the Southside, Trubinsky is slightly below/average at best. That said, a really good OL and solid play calling can make some somewhat average/better than average skill players look great. I'm looking at you Troy Aikman and Emmit Smith.
You forgot watson

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
great points IMO.....i think regardless of the scheme they've found something he can do fairly well and put up points......who knows maybe this will help him grow...maybe continued success will build confidence that will continue to grow

It’s something that throws defenses off balance. Allowing the playcaller to change from that half field one read playcall to a full field multi read playcall.

How?

Someone becomes assigned to the QB if he’s rolling out all game. Usually a linebacker spy’s the QB giving him an opportunity to throw at a much softer zone due to the linebacker staying closer to the line.

Guys like Robinson then get their 1 on 1s outside or a TE gets a mismatch on a linebacker.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
I imagine it would be difficult making routine throws like that (other than the last 4 weeks) in an offense that doesn't let him get into a rhythm. Nagy's square peg in a round hole philosophy has not worked.

Think about it: Since Bill Lazor has taken over play calling duties, they've been running the kind of plays we have been screaming for. For the first time in his career he's being utilized to his strengths.

Since Lazor took over, Mitch has been undeniably sharp. For the first time since 1965, the Bears have scored 30 plus points in 4 consecutive games. I have to imagine the Bears are at or near the top of the league in scoring over the last 4 weeks. When is the last time we could say that?

Over 4 games, Mitch has thrown for 1,001 yards, he's thrown for7 TD's, rushed for 1 TD, and has only thrown 2 interceptions. Assuming that pace for a full season under Lazor, that's 4,004 yards, 28 passing TD's, 32 total TD's, 16 int's and just under75 percent complete.

The offense he has been running for 4 weeks has only begun to iron out the details and scratch the surface of its possible complexity.

Its basic and it is working. When the whole team starts bringing new ideas to the table and the offense communicates new routes based on the coverages they are seeing it could really mature into something even better.

Mitchs eyes are just starting to see the opportunities he has both on the field and on film. Adjustments will be made and hopefully for the better.

gopher72

Liked Posts:
Speaking of coaching and mgmt would some knowledgeable Bears fan please tell me what the chances are that any coach or front office person(s) will be replaced if the team does not make the playoffs?

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
My perspective is Mitch when at his best is a bum slayer.

0 games against above .500 teams with a QB rating over 100. A truly remarkable stat.

The only more impressive stat in a bad way is Stafford’s most consecutive years as a starter for 1 team with 0 playoff victories.