Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
Then you hack the interwebz and erase mitch from history

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Can he beat Green Bay? All that matters.

Bears are 3-18 vs Pack in last 20+ matchups

When a team gets swept every year by the top dawg in the division, said team is relegated to wildcard lottery hopes

Beating Green Bay is not the only thing that matters.....if the Bears go 2-14 and the only wins are vs the Packers then there are more important things....

The Bears need to win football games...vs anyone at this point.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
My picks were Carman and Faalele.

Carman to plug in at RT on day one, replacing Massie outright.

Faalele needs some developmental work, but has size and some ability. Practicing against Mack and Hicks might be a good way to do that.

The question is, does he directly replace Leno at LT in 2022, or does he take RT, with Carman switching to LT that year?

I think Carman is a day 1 star in the making at LT. Cosmi would fit in a place where they throw 45 times a game. Like Cincinnati with Joe burrow. Also A place like the Bears would be perfect because Cosmi is fast as hell for as LT and can fly around securing running lanes.

However. Carman is the most aware LT in the draft. That guy does a great job of taking ends out of runs and then getting a great second level block. That’s NFL day 1 pro bowl stuff you just can’t seem to teach. It’s a timing, speed, strength, awareness issue and only so many guys have this skills.

Leatherwood is a monster 1 on 1. I don’t see him as a second level run blocking attacker or a fast enough runner to pull or get out in space and be special. Not saying he can’t though. Just not certain about it.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
You know when he did look this good? Last year when he played Detroit and Dallas back to back. Everyone thought he'd turned the corner then too

Yeah and if you recall we rolled him out against Dallas a bunch and let him run then stopped to go back to Nagys offense.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Mitch aint a great qb.

Mitch, however, does have some NFL traits. Issue is visorman refused to build an offense around those traits.

The best thing for him will be to go to san fran at the end of the season. Shanny could turn him into a borderline probowlers by letting him manage games and not throw deep too often.

He's not a complete bust, but a major disappointment for a #2 pick. Had we taken him in the 2nd round it wouldn't be an issue, but for the #2 pick, esp via tradeup, you better hit big on that pick.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Yeah and if you recall we rolled him out against Dallas a bunch and let him run then stopped to go back to Nagys offense.
Look i think bringing mitch back for a year or 2 is probably a good idea. But I also realizes he's a mediocre qb that feasts on bad defenses. My guess is gameplan didn't so much change after Dallas, instead he probably faced good defenses that schemed to keep him in the pocket and prevent rollouts

Bust

Liked Posts:
Part of it, but in 2018, Nagy called plays, and Trubkisy made the Pro Bowl.

Mitch needs a great RB, a very strong O-Line, and a good TE to be at his best. He lost all of those in 2019, but I'd take his 2019 as a down year from any QB.

Was first year with Nagy's offense. Opponent scouts were still in evaluation catch up phase in terms of Nagy's play call tendencies. The offense also had great field position cause the 2018 defense lead the league in turnovers.

Regardless, everything centers around the Green Bay Packers. Get swept every year by the top dawg you are pretty much relegated to wildcard lottery hopes.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
Mitch aint a great qb.

Mitch, however, does have some NFL traits. Issue is visorman refused to build an offense around those traits.

The best thing for him will be to go to san fran at the end of the season. Shanny could turn him into a borderline probowlers by letting him manage games and not throw deep too often.

He's not a complete bust, but a major disappointment for a #2 pick. Had we taken him in the 2nd round it wouldn't be an issue, but for the #2 pick, esp via tradeup, you better hit big on that pick.

This is where we completely agree! So fucking mark the post bud!

He isn’t great! I hope he would be, and cheered for him to be.

The proof shows that he’s a good NFL QB with the ability to win games and get first downs in multiple ways. He won games with the most stubborn and delusional playcaller in franchise history. Now with a more traditional and balanced offense he has 5 TDs and 1 really stupid red zone interception in 3 games. The offense putting up 30 points was unheard and unimaginable 4 weeks ago! Now all of a sudden it’s not a big deal because it’s Mitch?

30 points is solid no matter who you play!

I’d like to see Nagy stay on as HC and Lazor groomed into the next HC for the Bears.

This gives Nagy a chance to redeem his career next year as HC. And move somewhere else with his positive reputation in tact.

Whether Mitch is here or not you need either a solid LT or a mobile QB to play here. You already have the winning QB and now your playcalling finally fits him. You do not have a LT. You still need a good one to play pocket passer football.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mitch has done this before against the Cowboys and I think the Redskins. Did Nagy stop playing that way or did defenses adjust?

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
Look i think bringing mitch back for a year or 2 is probably a good idea. But I also realizes he's a mediocre qb that feasts on bad defenses. My guess is gameplan didn't so much change after Dallas, instead he probably faced good defenses that schemed to keep him in the pocket and prevent rollouts

No. It did change. The press covered it and so did the board. That’s what actually fueled the “Is Nagy the problem” narrative.

Like jet fuel on a lit match, Nagy being the guy pumping the fuel.

We went into the end of the season talking about Nagys offense working with a better QB. Because as Remy reminded us the Oline was really good and Leno was better than average as a LT. In reality they were so fucking awful it got exposed instantly when we switched to Foles.

Nagys idea of offense works with Elite tackles, an elite passer, and 2 superstars like Hill and Kelce with 2 really solid 2nd and 3rd WR options.

They built that in KC. You cannot just will that into existence. Those are all high round picks, trade poaches, and highly sought after free agents.

The Bears meanwhile have spent one 1st round pick on offense in 4 years. Then a TE, two Interior lineman in the second round.

The fact that Nagy thought he could copy and paste that offense on this roster tells you just how lost he is as a HC.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
Mitch has done this before against the Cowboys and I think the Redskins. Did Nagy stop playing that way or did defenses adjust?

Again, Nagy stopped. This was discussed by the board and the media. He went away from what worked for what he wanted.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
If Trubisky needs a great/good offensive line and a gameplan totally centered around running the ball effectively in order to get him looks off play action then he's probably not a guy you want to keep around as anything more than a high-level backup. In today's NFL you're not going to win the big one without a game-changing QB.

Look at last year's superbowl. The 49ers were basically the epitome of what we're trying to be as a team right now (elite D + run-based offense) and they got pretty easily handled by Mahomes. I understand that Mahomes is next-level good but you've got to find a top 10 QB who can win a game for you when needed if you want a shot at not just making it to the superbowl.

greg23

Liked Posts:

So this system features stretch zone runs, enables the qb to have easy reads, is a functional and productive offense, is qb friendly making almost everyone successful..........yet it took our genius head coach 2.67 years to hand off the play calling to someone else who would actually implement it???

The article should impeach him more than Trubisky.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Is Mitch Trubisky a bad quarterback? Let's look at some other QBs drafted (excluding Mahomes) in the 1st round from 2015-2018, and see their career numbers as compared to Mitch.

QB A: 75 games, 70 starts, 19,812 passing yards, 121 TD, 88 INT, 264.4 yds/game, 86.9 rating over career, 28-42-0 record as starter
QB B: 64 games, 61 starts, 13,433 passing yards, 77 TD, 45 INT, 209.9 yds/game, 85.9 rating over career, 29-32-0 record as starter
QB C: 68 games, 68 starts, 17,937 passing yards, 107 TD, 54 INT, 263.8 yds/game, 92 rating over career, 42-26-0 record as starter
QB D: 68 games, 68 starts, 16,811 passing yards, 113 TD, 50 INT, 247.2 yds/game, 89.2 rating over career, 35-32-1 record as starter
QB E: 52 games, 51 starts, 13,850 passing yards, 98 TD, 35 INT, 266.3 yds/game, 103.7 rating over career, 28-23-0 record as starter
QB F: 44 games, 43 starts, 10,634 passing yards, 74 TD, 43 INT, 241.7 yds/game, 89.7 rating over career, 22-21-0 record as starter
QB G: 36 games, 36 starts, 7,656 passing yards, 42 TD, 37 INT, 212.7 yds/game, 78.4 rating over career, 12-24-0 record as starter
QB H: 20 games, 16 starts, 2,845 passing yards, 12 TD, 19 INT, 142.3 yds/game, 63.5 rating over career, 3-13-0 record as starter

Mitch: 49 games, 48 starts, 10,092 passing yards, 62 TD, 35 INT, 206 yds/game, 87.1 rating over career, 28-20 record as starter

Really, the only QBs who are definitively better is QBs C, E, and F. The rest, you can make a good case that Trubisky has performed better. The numbers, I think point to Trubisky being a good quarterback, probably underappreciated due to his draft position (#2 overall), the fact he was traded up for (the Bears spent four picks to move up that one spot), and the phenomenal success of Mahomes. But in terms of being a bad quarterback... I don't think that is fair to say.

Of the nine non-Mahomes QBs picked in the first round from 2015-2018, Mitch's rating is right in the middle. When he starts, his team has generally won - in fact, he's arguably got the second-best win-loss record among all these QBs.

What do the Bears need to do to help him get better? Probably fortify the offensive line - to the tune of a new RT and an eventual replacement for Leno at LT. The draft has two guys who I think could do that in Jackson Carman of Clemson (a 6'6", 345-pounder) and Daniel Faalele of Minnesota (6'9", 400 pounds). Which ends up at RT and which is the eventual LT is hard to say, but both also look to be very good in the run-blocking department.

Draft a young bruiser at RG to solidify that group (Trey Smith could plug in as starter, with Daniels as reserve), or draft Josh Myers in the first round (have him back up C/G behind Daniels-Mustipher-Whitehair), and then I think the Bears are in shape. They probably need another good RB as well to make Trubisky really effective, but I don't think Trubisky is a bad quarterback, and the comps of first round picks from 2015-2018 bear that out.

By the way, here are the comps:
QB A is Jameis Winston - currently a backup for the Saints
QB B is Marcus Mariota - currently a backup for the Raiders
QB C is Jared Goff - Rams starter
QB D is Carson Wentz - Eagles starter on his way out due to injuries
QB E is Deshaun Watson - Texans starter
QB F is Baker Mayfield - Browns stater
QB G is Sam Darnold - Jets starter
QB H is Josh Rosen - Buccaneers backup

Wentz blows trubisky away.
17-19 he averaged 3500 yards a year, 27 tds and 7 picks.
there is infinitely more reason to believe this year is an anomaly for him than there is reason to think trubs can finally hit his stride.

Darnold and rosen were flat out busts. Arizona moved on immediately and the jets were dumb as hell to keep darnold.

Mariota and Winston, if you compare the numbers, are literally the same guys as mitch for the most part. Both of those guys were sent packing from the team that drafted them. That was the right choice.

Chicago has spent 17 years give or take trying to build an all star roster to prop up 3 middling or poor qbs, and despite some spectacular defenses and rushing attacks, it gets chicago nowhere.
It is about damn time they try a different, more decisive route.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
So this system features stretch zone runs, enables the qb to have easy reads, is a functional and productive offense, is qb friendly making almost everyone successful..........yet it took our genius head coach 2.67 years to hand off the play calling to someone else who would actually implement it???

The article should impeach him more than Trubisky.
I guess it might be something of a chicken or the egg thing. Are you going to effectively admit defeat on your franchise QB early on and make him into a game manager, or are you going to give him every chance to be the game winner you drafted him to be and let him (and your offense) take it on the chin in the process?

In other words, is there a wrong way to go about developing a guy? The Bears basically threw Trubisky into the fire in many ways and hoped the pressure would form a diamond. Would it have worked out if we babied him along only asking him to make big time throws and win us games when we were desperate for it? No way to tell for certain.

I think we know where he is right now as being that game manager guy with some definite strengths and weaknesses, I'm thinking that we would have arrived here no matter what. Had we never asked or tried to put Trubisky in those spots but won more games because of it then the fans would probably be saying that Nagy needs to take the shackles off. Chicago fans are like that: they'll find any reason to complain, especially about the QB.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
I guess it might be something of a chicken or the egg thing. Are you going to effectively admit defeat on your franchise QB early on and make him into a game manager, or are you going to give him every chance to be the game winner you drafted him to be and let him (and your offense) take it on the chin in the process?

In other words, is there a wrong way to go about developing a guy? The Bears basically threw Trubisky into the fire in many ways and hoped the pressure would form a diamond. Would it have worked out if we babied him along only asking him to make big time throws and win us games when we were desperate for it? No way to tell for certain.

I think we know where he is right now as being that game manager guy with some definite strengths and weaknesses, I'm thinking that we would have arrived here no matter what. Had we never asked or tried to put Trubisky in those spots but won more games because of it then the fans would probably be saying that Nagy needs to take the shackles off. Chicago fans are like that: they'll find any reason to complain, especially about the QB.
great points IMO.....i think regardless of the scheme they've found something he can do fairly well and put up points......who knows maybe this will help him grow...maybe continued success will build confidence that will continue to grow

greg23

Liked Posts:

id say running the ball 7 times in a game that's close, shows that you're hc/oc is in love with himself and his system