Perspective on Mitch Trubisky

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Can he beat Green Bay? All that matters.

Bears are 3-18 vs Pack in last 20+ matchups

When a team gets swept every year by the top dawg in the division, said team is relegated to wildcard lottery hopes
Green bay isnt the only team in the league

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Only thing i can say is he has looked better than hes ever looked since Nagy relinquished play calling duties. Even his throws look better.
He was pretty shitastic against Green Bay. His last three are the best he’s ever played.

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
I don't dislike Trubisky, but he has limitations. He has a propensity to shit his pants and take sacks, and to shit his pants and commit bad turnovers. Not a ton of them, but he still does it. He also has a horrible deep ball.

When the pocket is moving, he plays much better. When he's a threat to run the ball, he's a weapon. The biggest problem, is that his limitations make him a middling QB. Even if Lazor completely tailors his offense to suit Trubisky, and Trubisky plays really well all season long, he'll still just never be an elite QB.

We should not stop looking for a QB until we have an elite one that can take over any given game. We all know too well that a QB like that isn't easy to find, but that doesn't mean that we should settle for an "okay" QB. We need to find the one.
I agree with this. I don't think Mitch is bad per say I just KNOW that he'll never be great or even very good, he could be a decent starter in the NFL I think (like Jared Goff-ish). You're never going to make deep playoff runs because of him, you'll always need someone else or a certain group (like a great defense) to be an elite contending team if he's your QB.

Essentially, he won't hold you back but he won't take you anywhere either. Is that good enough? For me you have to look to find a QB that WILL take you places. Chicago needs to have a QB like that someday. I want to see how Mitch closes out the season before I say that I want him here next year or not. I think that you have to be looking for a QB from now though, even if you bring him back.

Hutch1975

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Edmonton Oilers
  1. Brigham Young Cougars
6 foot 9
400 lb
Slow footed
Left tackle

Sounds awesome.

Try another mock where you get 20 picks and tell us how you drafted an entire rookie oline!!

Here are a couple of the scouting profiles on Faalele:

The first one notes he is suited for a power-running game. Commitment to that in recent weeks has taken the offense to at least an acceptable level, and Faalele would fit on that basis.

There are any number of options. They could start Carman at RT, have Faalele develop for a bit to take over for Leno at LT. They could instead have Carman flip to LT after a year at RT, and have Faalele slide in at RT.

I think he slides enough to be available in the third round. Trading down for the extra draft capital would make sense to get this guy.

Unless you think keeping Massie around makes any sense...

ImSure

Liked Posts:
i don't know what to think of Mitch. now that we're learning that Nagy wasn't calling plays to his strengths (and the entire offense's strengths) it's harder to judge.

i posted a while back that he may need to be in a good situation (elsewhere) before we really know if he's above average or below average.

my wildest guess is he will go somewhere else, the starter gets hurt and he has a good year or two.

Bust

Liked Posts:

The first one notes he is suited for a power-running game. Commitment to that in recent weeks has taken the offense to at least an acceptable level, and Faalele would fit on that basis.

There are any number of options. They could start Carman at RT, have Faalele develop for a bit to take over for Leno at LT. They could instead have Carman flip to LT after a year at RT, and have Faalele slide in at RT.

I think he slides enough to be available in the third round. Trading down for the extra draft capital would make sense to get this guy.

Holy motherload Batman! 400 pound Tackle? That is one large human lol

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:
Irregardless as we say on the Southside, Trubinsky is slightly below/average at best. That said, a really good OL and solid play calling can make some somewhat average/better than average skill players look great. I'm looking at you Troy Aikman and Emmit Smith.

Stopped reading after "irregardless."

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:

I’m a huge fan of the biggest athlete on the field being on my team. Note: (Huge fan of Dan McCullers, defense is best when he’s on the field) It gives you a distinct advantage in specific situations. Faalele would give you a significant advantage in short yardage situations and if you dedicated to an under center lead blocking run game he’d be very easy to run behind as he’d create a successful pin point 1 yard upfield on a majority of run plays.

I personally think he’s too slow to play RT in the NFL day 1 though . Idk but he might get toasted by speed rushers and decent pass rusher at the NFL level.

I’d give him a day 2 grade late 2nd early 3rd.

He could play RG but not if he’s asked to pull. He’s a straight forward guy and you want his range laterally limited.

Carman looks like a day 1 starter. Great run and pass blocker and shows some real force in his blocking.

Sam Cosmi is not as good of a run blocker but is definitely a legit day 1 pass protecting stud at LT. He’s beatable. But he’s going to be really good in the NFL when he gets comfortable.

Leatherwood is going to be a really good starting LT in the NFL. Thought he was a RT but he’s definitely a LT and a good one in the NFL.

Walker little. No idea at this point. 5th round pick high risk, high reward.

Tape says Carman and Leatherwood are the guys that can do it all. Cosmi might be the best pure pass protection guy out of the top tackles we can possibly get.

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
Part of it, but in 2018, Nagy called plays, and Trubkisy made the Pro Bowl.

Mitch needs a great RB, a very strong O-Line, and a good TE to be at his best. He lost all of those in 2019, but I'd take his 2019 as a down year from any QB.
Agree but even in 2018 he didnt look this good outside of his 6 td game against TB.

Hutch1975

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Edmonton Oilers
  1. Brigham Young Cougars
I’m a huge fan of the biggest athlete on the field being on my team. Note: (Huge fan of Dan McCullers, defense is best when he’s on the field) It gives you a distinct advantage in specific situations. Faalele would give you a significant advantage in short yardage situations and if you dedicated to an under center lead blocking run game he’d be very easy to run behind as he’d create a successful pin point 1 yard upfield on a majority of run plays.

I personally think he’s too slow to play RT in the NFL day 1 though . Idk but he might get toasted by speed rushers and decent pass rusher at the NFL level.

I’d give him a day 2 grade late 2nd early 3rd.

He could play RG but not if he’s asked to pull. He’s a straight forward guy and you want his range laterally limited.

Carman looks like a day 1 starter. Great run and pass blocker and shows some real force in his blocking.

Sam Cosmi is not as good of a run blocker but is definitely a legit day 1 pass protecting stud at LT. He’s beatable. But he’s going to be really good in the NFL when he gets comfortable.

Leatherwood is going to be a really good starting LT in the NFL. Thought he was a RT but he’s definitely a LT and a good one in the NFL.

Walker little. No idea at this point. 5th round pick high risk, high reward.

Tape says Carman and Leatherwood are the guys that can do it all. Cosmi might be the best pure pass protection guy out of the top tackles we can possibly get.

My picks were Carman and Faalele.

Carman to plug in at RT on day one, replacing Massie outright.

Faalele needs some developmental work, but has size and some ability. Practicing against Mack and Hicks might be a good way to do that.

The question is, does he directly replace Leno at LT in 2022, or does he take RT, with Carman switching to LT that year?

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
Can he beat Green Bay? All that matters.

Bears are 3-18 vs Pack in last 20+ matchups

When a team gets swept every year by the top dawg in the division, said team is relegated to wildcard lottery hopes
I would even bet those 3 wins were with Aaron Rodgers not playing or got injured in the game and didn’t come back.

Hutch1975

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Edmonton Oilers
  1. Brigham Young Cougars
Holy motherload Batman! 400 pound Tackle? That is one large human lol

Just feel sorry for the poor folks facing Faalele every Sunday...

And feel sorry for Faalele when he practices against Mack/Hicks during the week.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Is Mitch Trubisky a bad quarterback? Let's look at some other QBs drafted (excluding Mahomes) in the 1st round from 2015-2018, and see their career numbers as compared to Mitch.

QB A: 75 games, 70 starts, 19,812 passing yards, 121 TD, 88 INT, 264.4 yds/game, 86.9 rating over career, 28-42-0 record as starter
QB B: 64 games, 61 starts, 13,433 passing yards, 77 TD, 45 INT, 209.9 yds/game, 85.9 rating over career, 29-32-0 record as starter
QB C: 68 games, 68 starts, 17,937 passing yards, 107 TD, 54 INT, 263.8 yds/game, 92 rating over career, 42-26-0 record as starter
QB D: 68 games, 68 starts, 16,811 passing yards, 113 TD, 50 INT, 247.2 yds/game, 89.2 rating over career, 35-32-1 record as starter
QB E: 52 games, 51 starts, 13,850 passing yards, 98 TD, 35 INT, 266.3 yds/game, 103.7 rating over career, 28-23-0 record as starter
QB F: 44 games, 43 starts, 10,634 passing yards, 74 TD, 43 INT, 241.7 yds/game, 89.7 rating over career, 22-21-0 record as starter
QB G: 36 games, 36 starts, 7,656 passing yards, 42 TD, 37 INT, 212.7 yds/game, 78.4 rating over career, 12-24-0 record as starter
QB H: 20 games, 16 starts, 2,845 passing yards, 12 TD, 19 INT, 142.3 yds/game, 63.5 rating over career, 3-13-0 record as starter

Mitch: 49 games, 48 starts, 10,092 passing yards, 62 TD, 35 INT, 206 yds/game, 87.1 rating over career, 28-20 record as starter

Really, the only QBs who are definitively better is QBs C, E, and F. The rest, you can make a good case that Trubisky has performed better. The numbers, I think point to Trubisky being a good quarterback, probably underappreciated due to his draft position (#2 overall), the fact he was traded up for (the Bears spent four picks to move up that one spot), and the phenomenal success of Mahomes. But in terms of being a bad quarterback... I don't think that is fair to say.

Of the nine non-Mahomes QBs picked in the first round from 2015-2018, Mitch's rating is right in the middle. When he starts, his team has generally won - in fact, he's arguably got the second-best win-loss record among all these QBs.

What do the Bears need to do to help him get better? Probably fortify the offensive line - to the tune of a new RT and an eventual replacement for Leno at LT. The draft has two guys who I think could do that in Jackson Carman of Clemson (a 6'6", 345-pounder) and Daniel Faalele of Minnesota (6'9", 400 pounds). Which ends up at RT and which is the eventual LT is hard to say, but both also look to be very good in the run-blocking department.

Draft a young bruiser at RG to solidify that group (Trey Smith could plug in as starter, with Daniels as reserve), or draft Josh Myers in the first round (have him back up C/G behind Daniels-Mustipher-Whitehair), and then I think the Bears are in shape. They probably need another good RB as well to make Trubisky really effective, but I don't think Trubisky is a bad quarterback, and the comps of first round picks from 2015-2018 bear that out.

By the way, here are the comps:
QB A is Jameis Winston - currently a backup for the Saints
QB B is Marcus Mariota - currently a backup for the Raiders
QB C is Jared Goff - Rams starter
QB D is Carson Wentz - Eagles starter on his way out due to injuries
QB E is Deshaun Watson - Texans starter
QB F is Baker Mayfield - Browns stater
QB G is Sam Darnold - Jets starter
QB H is Josh Rosen - Buccaneers backup
So 4 definite fails, 1 mystery in Wentz, 2 questioned but seem viable starters and Watson. Of the last 4 that are starting, How many took almost 4 years to throw a ball OB instead of running out the sideline for a sack? Mitch's awareness is at or near the bottom of that pack and always has been.

He has as much or more ability than most of those but QB is more than a #s game unless your setting some very high #s. He's doing a lot better in an O designed for him but top QBs have a very good sense of situational risk/reward, clock and field position. They also make decisions faster than he does. It's getting better but the questions remain.

I don't mind so much that Pace probably missed but a good drafting GM doesn't draft him in the way we did if you understand that drafting qbs is a crapshoot. In a very weak draft with one standout, sure roll those dice and move up but there were 3 guys with similar potential to fail quotients here. At 3, you wait for one, especially after the 1st pick was a DE. If you move up in that draft, you better be right or need to deal with the consequences.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
The thing with Mitch is that he would be actually pretty good if he just could make many of the easy throws and reads he has missed in his career. All those deep balls that should have been easy TDs for example. He doesn’t need to be slinging it like Mahomes to be good. He just has left so many easy completions on the field that makes him an enigma.