Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Everyone wants Fields to start day one. Am I wrong to agree with Nagy about waiting a few weeks? This won't be a season long thing unless Dolton;) plays lights out.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

CHIBEAR

Liked Posts:
Everyone want Fields to start day one. Am I wrong to agree with Nagy about waiting a few weeks? This won't be a season long thing unless Dolton;) plays lights out.:rolleyes:

Wait a few weeks for what ? When you consider the way the nfl regular season practice schedule has now changed and the ridiculous amount of qb protection put into games . There is zero reason that a team who biggest weakness is qb to be waiting to put its best one on the field

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Protection was our biggest weakness and we have a rookie LT that hasn't had many reps on that side in college. Or, reading/attacking Ds has been out biggest problem. Let the kid observe how this O reacts to NFL Ds while the line gels, better understand his reads and how to attack NFL coverages. Fan base is starry eyed right now but Fields is still a rookie QB. I don't think starting him right away will necessarily hurt him but it probably wont help as much as sitting a few weeks either.

Both Simms and Casserly had Fields getting picked around 30 in this draft. I personally think that's wacky and Fields dropped more than he should have but it's not like he was the #1 pick without a vet to fill in for a bit. The Bear also didn't need to get into a bidding war for him at 11. Don't know what the secret flaw is but I suspect it stays hidden :) , LOL.

Last edited:

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
If he is better than Dalton you play him, don't waste time with him on the bench. He will get reps against one of the better defenses in the league so if he is the "savior" let him start day 1.

Bears Backer 54

Liked Posts:
I'm of the opinion that we can play him from the outset if he shows he is ready for it in training camp and preseason. While I know the common speak is that letting someone sit and learn is prudent, I really don't know if the benefits are all that great. Watching the game from the sidelines surely can't be all that different than sitting with coaches and reviewing previous season game tape and having them explain why they called this or that and the thought process going into it. Watching from the sidelines to get used to "NFL speed" is another one I don't think is as big of a benefit. Watching fast players on a field or video is really limited on its benefits compared to being out there and learning to adjust in practice or games. If Fields comes out and show he's ready to take on the starter role, I don't know that keeping him on the sidelines while we go 0-3 or something is really going to be any big benefit as he would have to come in and instantly perform to get them back to competitive. Let him take his lumps against the AFC teams and hopefully by NFC time he is starting to look like the game changer we hope he becomes.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I think if the Bears make the playoffs and outscore all of their opponents, then they will be a true contender

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Everyone wants Fields to start day one. Am I wrong to agree with Nagy about waiting a few weeks? This won't be a season long thing unless Dolton;) plays lights out.:rolleyes:
It all depends on how he looks in camp. If he out performs Dalton, then he should start. Experience is the best practice

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
The guy on the right/Collinsworth's left is a clown. Unmatched intelligence with hot takes like "you hope Fields pays attention in weekly prep so the head coach can be excited" makes me question subscription prices of $10 or $35 a month--because--and I can't believe I'm saying this--half of this board could have come up with that one...

I get it's pretty much hand in hand with all sports these days, but betting/odds now have no bearing on the final record and 'if I were betting' has no correlation...

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Chris Collinsworth is a bozo

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Don't understand why so many ppl act like this has to be decided right now.
This.

Things need to be set up for his long-term success, not just for this coming season. He has to be ready in all aspects to play. Not perfect...just ready. Last thing we want is a QB picking up bad habits, or not developing, because they were thrown in too soon. Also, the OL needs to be solidified. It would do Fields no good running for his life most of the time.

Can all this happen before game 1? Of course it can. Is it likely to happen? Probably not...

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My issue with that plan is that it costs Fields valuable reps.

Everyday that Dalton is the #1 is reps that Fields is not getting for his eventual time as the starter.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This.

Things need to be set up for his long-term success, not just for this coming season. He has to be ready in all aspects to play. Not perfect...just ready. Last thing we want is a QB picking up bad habits, or not developing, because they were thrown in too soon. Also, the OL needs to be solidified. It would do Fields no good running for his life most of the time.

Can all this happen before game 1? Of course it can. Is it likely to happen? Probably not...
If you think he will start by week 4, then start him week 1.

Do not waste all of those camp reps on Dalton to simply hold a spot for a few weeks. Invest those reps in Fields so he is further along.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Protection was our biggest weakness and we have a rookie LT that hasn't had many reps on that side in college. Or, reading/attacking Ds has been out biggest problem. Let the kid observe how this O reacts to NFL Ds while the line gels, better understand his reads and how to attack NFL coverages. Fan base is starry eyed right now but Fields is still a rookie QB. I don't think starting him right away will necessarily hurt him but it probably wont help as much as sitting a few weeks either.

Both Simms and Casserly had Fields getting picked around 30 in this draft. I personally think that's wacky and Fields dropped more than he should have but it's not like he was the #1 pick without a vet to fill in for a bit. The Bear also didn't need to get into a bidding war for him at 11. Don't know what the secret flaw is but I suspect it stays hidden :) , LOL.
We will know if the OL is a liability in the preseason.

If Nagy keeps the playbook closer to what it was for Mitch I cannot see a more talented OL struggling to run an OL friendly system.

CHIBEAR

Liked Posts:

Everyday that Dalton is the #1 is reps that Fields is not getting for his eventual time as the starter.

Exactly people are ignoring how the NFL actually works in favor so some dream situation where somehow you learn how to make mental in game adjustments standing on the damn sideline holding a clipboard .

There are very limited amount of full pad practices both in training camp and the season so if he's not actually starting games he's basically going through glorified walk thrus the majority of the time .

As far as we know hes not splitting reps

If hes not splitting reps then he is getting very few reps with the starters its as if half the fanbase actually forgot what happened last August with Mitch and Foles having to split reps

Fields needs ALL the practice reps

Fields needs ALL the game reps

We all know Nagy plays no one in the preseason anyway so basically we are basically watching history repeat itself and its baffling that some are willing to go through it again .

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
Exactly people are ignoring how the NFL actually works in favor so some dream situation where somehow you learn how to make mental in game adjustments standing on the damn sideline holding a clipboard .

There are very limited amount of full pad practices both in training camp and the season so if he's not actually starting games he's basically going through glorified walk thrus the majority of the time .

As far as we know hes not splitting reps

If hes not splitting reps then he is getting very few reps with the starters its as if half the fanbase actually forgot what happened last August with Mitch and Foles having to split reps

Fields needs ALL the practice reps

Fields needs ALL the game reps

We all know Nagy plays no one in the preseason anyway so basically we are basically watching history repeat itself and its baffling that some are willing to go through it again .

This is the rub. I lean towards the let Fields develop and take his time, but it is resource management game, isn't it?

There's a limited Quantity of reps and it's a primary source of development vs. the need to digest the mental aspects of the game as the rest of the team, primarily a rookie Lt who had less than a half a game of experience there in college as the net sum total.

So, I am really leaning more towards the this shouldn't be decided now camp, but I am heavily swayed by the need to get quality reps in argument.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

It's about knowing he'll be able to have good reps as opposed to max reps for me.