Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
We will know if the OL is a liability in the preseason.

If Nagy keeps the playbook closer to what it was for Mitch I cannot see a more talented OL struggling to run an OL friendly system.
No we won't. Starters get limited reps and if they get more it's against scrubs. Vets also aren't taking as many risks/effort as the regular season unless fighting for a job. Preseason games are more about the bottom of the roster than the top.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
No we won't. Starters get limited reps and if they get more it's against scrubs. Vets also aren't taking as many risks/effort as the regular season unless fighting for a job. Preseason games are more about the bottom of the roster than the top.
If they suck in the pre-season it is going to be pretty apparent they are a liability.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It's about knowing he'll be able to have good reps as opposed to max reps for me.
What makes it a good rep?

He needs the maximum amount of reps he can get and he needs the maximum number of reps with Robinson and Mooney.

The #2 QB gets neither of those things.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If he looks ready, if he grasps the system, if he's as good (or better) than Dalton, start him. He's the future. The ONLY reason I wouldn't start him right away is injury or if he looks terrible. But I'm hoping neither happen.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
It's about knowing he'll be able to have good reps as opposed to max reps for me.

That's a good way to frame it: max reps vs. quality reps, good ole quality vs. quantity.

I get it.

mecha

Liked Posts:
for the last 2 weeks everyone has been saying the Bears aren't winning any games.

now you're on board with them being CONTENDERS?

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:

He needs the maximum amount of reps he can get and he needs the maximum number of reps with Robinson and Mooney.

Eggsactly. Timing is everything for a QB and his WR's.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Everyone wants Fields to start day one. Am I wrong to agree with Nagy about waiting a few weeks? This won't be a season long thing unless Dolton;) plays lights out.:rolleyes:
It's a tough question.

I personally don't think sitting a QB for a while is what's best for every rookie. I think it's better for some QBs to start because otherwise, you're taking development snaps away from them, and every QB becomes a little rustier the longer they don't play in a real game.

But I'm sure some QBs might feel a little overwhelmed starting Game 1, and that can lead to bad games that emotionally scar them... that creates a phobia in them.

So, yeah, just let Nagy and crew feel him out.

msadows

Liked Posts:
It's a tough question.

I personally don't think sitting a QB for a while is what's best for every rookie. I think it's better for some QBs to start because otherwise, you're taking development snaps away from them, and every QB becomes a little rustier the longer they don't play in a real game.

But I'm sure some QBs might feel a little overwhelmed starting Game 1, and that can lead to bad games that emotionally scar them... that creates a phobia in them.

So, yeah, just let Nagy and crew feel him out.

As I pretty much have mentioned in every "start fields" thread it will become quite apparent to everyone, even meatball fans, who should start come training camp/pre-season.

There is a lot of circle jerking over fields but he hasn't even faced an NFL practice defense yet.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Well that was condescending as fuck

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
All you hear is that NFL coaches absolutely love competition between players at all positions and that nothing should be a given. Last I heard, quarterback is an NFL position.....why should that be any different? If Dalton can beat out the kid....he starts and if he doesn't he holds a clipboard.

Best man wins.....

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
All you hear is that NFL coaches absolutely love competition between players at all positions and that nothing should be a given. Last I heard, quarterback is an NFL position.....why should that be any different? If Dalton can beat out the kid....he starts and if he doesn't he holds a clipboard.

Best man wins.....
Well said.

There's no reason to name Fields starter. It's possible Dalton is a better QB in 2021. Let them compete.

Regardless of who starts, Fields or Dalton, you have a capable backup.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well said.

There's no reason to name Fields starter. It's possible Dalton is a better QB in 2021. Let them compete.

Exactly. I don't want Fields thrown out there just because everyone wants to see what he can do and I don't want Dalton starting just because the Bears are paying him $10 million.

Just play the guy who is better....

Sculpt

Liked Posts:

If Nagy decided to give Fields all the benefits of a starter, I'd be fine with that. He knows plenty about the QB position.

I also think it would be good for Fields character development to have to complete with Dalton.

I would guess Fields will be the better QB this year, but there could be reasons he's not.

CHIBEAR

Liked Posts:
Well said.

The problem again that's been mentioned before but keeps getting washed over in this thread but they have not said Fields will be allowed to compete for the job .

Last year we saw them let Mitch and Nick compete for the job and they did so by splitting the reps with the ones equally. Nagy has gone out of his way to say Dalton is QB1 and will get the reps with the ones . There is no competition for the starting spot unless you are getting reps with the ones and everyone including the players knows this.

When you look at the history of this team under Nagy I don't know how you can be anything but skeptical when you know he doesn't play starters in the preseason

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
Protection was our biggest weakness and we have a rookie LT that hasn't had many reps on that side in college. Or, reading/attacking Ds has been out biggest problem. Let the kid observe how this O reacts to NFL Ds while the line gels, better understand his reads and how to attack NFL coverages. Fan base is starry eyed right now but Fields is still a rookie QB. I don't think starting him right away will necessarily hurt him but it probably wont help as much as sitting a few weeks either.

Both Simms and Casserly had Fields getting picked around 30 in this draft. I personally think that's wacky and Fields dropped more than he should have but it's not like he was the #1 pick without a vet to fill in for a bit. The Bear also didn't need to get into a bidding war for him at 11. Don't know what the secret flaw is but I suspect it stays hidden :) , LOL.
Casserly is lost in space....

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Sit him. Tank, replace Nagy before he screws this kid up. I'm more interested in the longterm then just next season. I believe any and all QBs would fail in Nagy's so called system. The opposing defenses knew our plays better then our own offense did. Nagy will force this kid to learn his crap system and then he will just have to learn a different one next year.