PFF: Bears are 2021 contenders with Fields

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
As I pretty much have mentioned in every "start fields" thread it will become quite apparent to everyone, even meatball fans, who should start come training camp/pre-season.

There is a lot of circle jerking over fields but he hasn't even faced an NFL practice defense yet.
You seem upset that Mitch was hot basura on a hot Ecuador day

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
What makes it a good rep?

He needs the maximum amount of reps he can get and he needs the maximum number of reps with Robinson and Mooney.

The #2 QB gets neither of those things.
Having the line be viable enough to run plays and sequence his reads etc. Have him be far enough along to know expectations and fulfill them. Watching this O with Dalton for a few games while the line gels is the safer way. I won't complain if he starts the season but I sure won't if he doesn't either. Top 3 QBs in this league didn't start out of the gate. The next 3 did.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
The problem again that's been mentioned before but keeps getting washed over in this thread but they have not said Fields will be allowed to compete for the job .

Last year we saw them let Mitch and Nick compete for the job and they did so by splitting the reps with the ones equally. Nagy has gone out of his way to say Dalton is QB1 and will get the reps with the ones . There is no competition for the starting spot unless you are getting reps with the ones and everyone including the players knows this.

When you look at the history of this team under Nagy I don't know how you can be anything but skeptical when you know he doesn't play starters in the preseason
Hey, you're right. I hadn't heard Nagy named Dalton starter, but he did.

It's unlikely he'll change his mind. But it's still possible.

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
I doubt there is much fields learns in let’s say five weeks or so on the sidelines that he doesn’t already know or will know by that point.

its basically same offense he ran at Ohio state too.

if they wait five games or so, the bears will already probably be out of playoff picture, players will be pissed off including fields deep down.

if they do wait that amount of time and then put him in it was probably only to see how the oline gels.

I haven’t heard a good reason to hold him out unless he’s truly not ready which I highly doubt. He’s the most ready of anyone I’ve ever seen. I also just want so badly to have a good qb for once.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Dalton may be the starter but fields will absolutely get reps whether he is competing or not. Everyone including Dalton will understand too

Myrradah

Liked Posts:
Exactly people are ignoring how the NFL actually works in favor so some dream situation where somehow you learn how to make mental in game adjustments standing on the damn sideline holding a clipboard .

There are very limited amount of full pad practices both in training camp and the season so if he's not actually starting games he's basically going through glorified walk thrus the majority of the time .

As far as we know hes not splitting reps

If hes not splitting reps then he is getting very few reps with the starters its as if half the fanbase actually forgot what happened last August with Mitch and Foles having to split reps

Fields needs ALL the practice reps

Fields needs ALL the game reps

We all know Nagy plays no one in the preseason anyway so basically we are basically watching history repeat itself and its baffling that some are willing to go through it again .

Before you can make mental adjustments in a game situation, you have to be able to visually see the play in your head. Once you can do that, then actual reps will help but until then you learn the offense and get that mental image. You jump ahead and you can destroy his mental makeup. This is why people are saying it depends on how he does in the preseason. It will be evident if he has that mental image or not.

That being said, from what I learned of him he should pick it up quickly. But you never know.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I doubt there is much fields learns in let’s say five weeks or so on the sidelines that he doesn’t already know or will know by that point.

its basically same offense he ran at Ohio state too.

if they wait five games or so, the bears will already probably be out of playoff picture, players will be pissed off including fields deep down.

if they do wait that amount of time and then put him in it was probably only to see how the oline gels.

I haven’t heard a good reason to hold him out unless he’s truly not ready which I highly doubt. He’s the most ready of anyone I’ve ever seen. I also just want so badly to have a good qb for once.
If you really want a good QB in Chicago (for the first time in forever), I’m sure you can be patient and wait a couple games for it.

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
Everyone wants Fields to start day one. Am I wrong to agree with Nagy about waiting a few weeks? This won't be a season long thing unless Dolton;) plays lights out.:rolleyes:
He`ll have the pre season to earn a week 1 start. If he outplays Annie he should start.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
It's a tough question.

I personally don't think sitting a QB for a while is what's best for every rookie. I think it's better for some QBs to start because otherwise, you're taking development snaps away from them, and every QB becomes a little rustier the longer they don't play in a real game.

But I'm sure some QBs might feel a little overwhelmed starting Game 1, and that can lead to bad games that emotionally scar them... that creates a phobia in them.

So, yeah, just let Nagy and crew feel him out.
Yeah you don't want to start a rookie QB game 1 and then him be really bad for the first 2-3-4 games and rumors start swirling about if he should of sat and the media takes off with it and things can go real bad with that QB's confidence real quick. I don't think J.Fields is one i'd be worried about that happening to but there's countless QB's that were drafted high in the 1st round that everyone thought was gonna be great that ended up busts.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I keep circling back to things Ryan Day said about Fields when he got to Ohio State which seem to have been confirmed at rookie camp to some degree. The talent was obvious, the work ethic matched, and Fields was sharp in the meeting room translating classroom to the field.

As a coach, you have to trust your eyes and not overthink it. If Fields continues to show command through OTAs and into camp, he's your guy. There'll be some ups and downs as he adjusts to the pro game. The only other factor here is whether the line is a hot mess.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
LOL Oh yeah, he's here too.

I loved having Foles as our backup at the beginning of last season. He played a few games pretty decent. Some suggest Nagy's offense was not good for Foles, but he basically wasn't good enough. I hope someone wants him via trade, but I'm not holding my breath.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I keep circling back to things Ryan Day said about Fields when he got to Ohio State which seem to have been confirmed at rookie camp to some degree. The talent was obvious, the work ethic matched, and Fields was sharp in the meeting room translating classroom to the field.

As a coach, you have to trust your eyes and not overthink it. If Fields continues to show command through OTAs and into camp, he's your guy. There'll be some ups and downs as he adjusts to the pro game. The only other factor here is whether the line is a hot mess.
Nagy is the type of guy to overthink getting out of bed: “You know for me, I could get up and out of bed from the side, or I could scoot down to the end of the bed, but it’s my job to figure out these decisions and as a staff, my wife and I, we work through all these scenarios to make sure we’re making the best decision for the Nagy family.”

Count on one thing…Nagy will overthink it

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Once they need to start game planning with Justin, his ability to get teaching on the O will be noticeably more limited. It's not just about him being better than Dalton. It's about him being the best he can be for the stretch run and playoffs. He's obviously well prepared for this level and a smart guy that should get there quicker than most but he's likely not at that point by the end of camp.

This isn't the Mitch situation who should have sat the year and he may not need to sit at all but it's likely prudent to do so and get a feel for where he's at during actual pregame meetings/practice, sees more fronts and how to attack them in real time etc.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

I loved having Foles as our backup at the beginning of last season. He played a few games pretty decent. Some suggest Nagy's offense was not good for Foles, but he basically wasn't good enough. I hope someone wants him via trade, but I'm not holding my breath.
Nagy doesn't like playing his starters a lot in preseason so if he's not planning on playing them a lot this preseason then he should do everything he can to make Foles look as good as he can. I'm really hoping Fields gets some good playing time but i just don't know how much Nagy will play him.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

The problem with Foles is he needs a line. He started getting hapoy feet as he face some of the tougher DLs.

napo55

Liked Posts:
Until the rookie LT (who played only one game at the position his final year at OK State) shows he is decent at the position, why risk what you hope is your franchise QB? If the OL jells and Fields outplays Dalton, then put him in.

Last edited:

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:
Everyone wants Fields to start day one. Am I wrong to agree with Nagy about waiting a few weeks? This won't be a season long thing unless Dolton;) plays lights out.:rolleyes:
But why wait if Fields give you the better chance to win? If he indeed walks circles around Dalton in camp, and Nagy still forces Dalton just because and they start...0-4, how does that help the team?

It's what is best for the team, not Dalton's ego. Unless Dalton wins the camp battle and passes the eye test, why wait on the rookie with the better talent?

Maybe you need to go back and rewatch the 4 Glennon games to address your question.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
But why wait if Fields give you the better chance to win? If he indeed walks circles around Dalton in camp, and Nagy still forces Dalton just because and they start...0-4, how does that help the team?

It's what is best for the team, not Dalton's ego. Unless Dalton wins the camp battle and passes the eye test, why wait on the rookie with the better talent?

Maybe you need to go back and rewatch the 4 Glennon games to address your question.
Because it isn’t about “winning now”. It’s about the long term...