Pitching Options for The 2014-2015 Winter

chibears55

Liked Posts:
My point of this whole thing is develop your own pitchers. I don't want to go backwards any more. Some may be okay with it, and that's there choice.

for what its worth, they have drafted big the last 2 years after the first 2 rounds in pitching..

here are a few notable pitchers in their system that they are developing..

CJ Edwards (22), Pierce Johnson (22), Arodys Vizcaino (23), Neil Ramirez (24), Kyle Hendricks ((24), Corey Black (22), Rob Zastryzny (21), Ivan Pineyro (22)
Paul Blackburn (20) OTHERS: Dallas Beeler , Eric Jokisch, Dillon Maples, Brett Marshall, Jefferson Mejia, Armondo Rivero, Jen-HO Tseng, Ben Wells

they have some live arms in their system now, its just a matter of time before we see how they develop...

id be surprise if they didn't use their first two picks this year on college pitchers...

1. Tyler Beede
RHP
21.0 AGE
Vanderbilt
6'4/215

2. Carlos Rodon
LHP
21.5 AGE
North Carolina State
6'1/235

3. Sean Newcomb
LHP
21.0 AGE
Hartford
6'5/240

4. Michael Cederoth
RHP
21.5 AGE
San Diego State
6'6/210

5. Brandon Finnegan
LHP
21.1 AGE
TCU
5'11/185

6. Jeff Hoffman
RHP
21.4 AGE
East Carolina
6'4/185

7. Nick Burdi
RHP
21.4 AGE
Louisville
6'4/220

8. Luke Weaver
RHP
20.8 AGE
Florida State
6'2/175

9. Aaron Nola
RHP
21.0 AGE
LSU
6'1/185

10. Trevor Megill
LHP
20.5 AGE
Loyola Marymount
6'8/235

11. Sam Coonrod
RHP
21.7 AGE
Southern Illinois
6'2/180

12. Daniel Mengden
RHP
21.3 AGE
Texas A&M
6'1/215

13. A.J. Reed
LHP/1B
21.1 AGE
Kentucky
6'4/230

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
id be surprise if they didn't use their first two picks this year on college pitchers...

I would say the odds are in favor but it wouldn't surprise me at all if they didn't. The cubs farm system was pretty barren when Theo took over outside of Baez and Alcantara. To put it bluntly, the top 3 prospects in 2011 were Rizzo, Jackson, and Matt Szczur who was #9 last year. What the cubs did was to spend their top picks on positional players because positional players have a better success rate. Obviously now they have a lot better positional prospects but that factor doesn't change. If you feel the positional player is a better prospect in your eyes I think you take him especially if it's at a position like SS because you often can deal them for pitchers closer to the majors and less likely to bust. The Dbacks gave up Trevor Bauer who was a top 10 prospect before the 2012 season for didi gregorius.

Chris J

Chris Jelinek
Liked Posts:
Carlos Rodon is going to Houston. No doubt about it

patg006

Liked Posts:
for what its worth, they have drafted big the last 2 years after the first 2 rounds in pitching..

here are a few notable pitchers in their system that they are developing..

CJ Edwards (22), Pierce Johnson (22), Arodys Vizcaino (23), Neil Ramirez (24), Kyle Hendricks ((24), Corey Black (22), Rob Zastryzny (21), Ivan Pineyro (22)
Paul Blackburn (20) OTHERS: Dallas Beeler , Eric Jokisch, Dillon Maples, Brett Marshall, Jefferson Mejia, Armondo Rivero, Jen-HO Tseng, Ben Wells

they have some live arms in their system now, its just a matter of time before we see how they develop...

1. Tyler Beede
RHP
21.0 AGE
Vanderbilt
6'4/215

2. Carlos Rodon
LHP
21.5 AGE
North Carolina State
6'1/235

3. Sean Newcomb
LHP
21.0 AGE
Hartford
6'5/240

4. Michael Cederoth
RHP
21.5 AGE
San Diego State
6'6/210

5. Brandon Finnegan
LHP
21.1 AGE
TCU
5'11/185

6. Jeff Hoffman
RHP
21.4 AGE
East Carolina
6'4/185

7. Nick Burdi
RHP
21.4 AGE
Louisville
6'4/220

8. Luke Weaver
RHP
20.8 AGE
Florida State
6'2/175

9. Aaron Nola
RHP
21.0 AGE
LSU
6'1/185

10. Trevor Megill
LHP
20.5 AGE
Loyola Marymount
6'8/235

11. Sam Coonrod
RHP
21.7 AGE
Southern Illinois
6'2/180

12. Daniel Mengden
RHP
21.3 AGE
Texas A&M
6'1/215

13. A.J. Reed
LHP/1B
21.1 AGE
Kentucky
6'4/230

Right now (albeit, tons of time left) Rondon, Jeff Hoffman, and Trea Turner are the consensus 1-3 of 2014, pending major injury. Things can change. This time last year Kris Bryant was a late 1st/comp pick area, so projections are tougher.

Ty Beade has a big chance to jump up boards. Right now I see him being Theo's 1st pick.

He HAS to be on the Chris Sale/Wacha route. A couple starts in A+ after signing then jump him to AAA.

Bring him to the bullpen fast, give him his lumps then convert to starter. The cubs don't have time to fuck around and keep babying kids. Sooner or later these kids have to sink or swim without the floaties or over-parenting from this inept front office.

Chris J

Chris Jelinek
Liked Posts:
Is Tyler Kolek a guy like Bundy that can make it to the majors in his first full season right after high school? He has an elite fastball

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Another thing that often doesn't come up when talking about addressing the cubs pitching is Castro. I still think a Castro trade will make a lot of sense if he rebounds to at least 2012 levels. Obviously, this is dependent on Baez sticking at SS and not sucking. But if he does, it leaves you with a weird situation. Alcantara profiles best at 2B though potentially he could play in the OF. That being said, it seems obvious the front office wants to keep those guys at SS/2B respectively if possible. Obviously you get your best bang out of Olt if he sticks with you at 3B rather than trotting him out to trade. They also have Bryant and Villenueva among others who could eventually be every day 3B so keeping Baez out of 2B/3B has other benefits as well.

I still feel like a Castro + parts for Noah Syndergaard(Mets) + parts makes a lot of sense in that situation. He's at AA which is close to the cubs timeline and had 11.50 k/9 with 2.00 bb/9 with a 3.00 ERA in 54 IP at AA last year. At A+ he was 9.05 k/9 with a 2.26 bb/9 with a 3.11 ERA. You may ask why does this make sense for the Mets? Well for one they already have a lot of good young pitching. Harvey(25) was fairly dominant before getting hurt. Gee is a decent mid-rotation type and is only 28. Niese is another decent mid-rotation type and he'll be 27. Zach Wheeler is going to be 24 and was the #6 prospect before the 2012 season projecting as a top of the rotation type. Jeremy Hefner was their 5th last year and while he wasn't very good he's still only going to be 28 plus finding 5th starters is something you can do in FA. They also have Rafael Montero who's #85 on MLB.com's top 100.

On the other hand, they trotted out Justin Turner(now a FA) for 214 PAs at SS, Omar Quintanilla for 359 PAs (.222/.306/.283) and Ruben Tejada for 227 PAs(.202/.259/.260). Their best SS prospect is Gavin Cecchini who was #9 before the 2013 year. He's going to be 20 this year and hit .273/.319/.314 in A- last year. So, he's light years away and the mets could be ready to compete as soon as this year and definitely should be ready when Harvey fully returns. They supposedly are mildly interested in Stephen Drew which would obviously make this less likely but if they don't get him then they may have few options.

Oh one more thing. There's a possibility that Trea Turner(SS) may fall to the cubs in the draft in which case it matters even less that Baez sticks at SS. You'd essentially be trading Castro and <insert pitching prospect> for Syndergaard and Turner in that case and I personally would feel much more comfortable having Syndergaard as the pitching prospect because he's at AA and thus closer to the majors.

patg006

Liked Posts:
Another thing that often doesn't come up when talking about addressing the cubs pitching is Castro. I still think a Castro trade will make a lot of sense if he rebounds to at least 2012 levels. Obviously, this is dependent on Baez sticking at SS and not sucking. But if he does, it leaves you with a weird situation. Alcantara profiles best at 2B though potentially he could play in the OF. That being said, it seems obvious the front office wants to keep those guys at SS/2B respectively if possible. Obviously you get your best bang out of Olt if he sticks with you at 3B rather than trotting him out to trade. They also have Bryant and Villenueva among others who could eventually be every day 3B so keeping Baez out of 2B/3B has other benefits as well.

I still feel like a Castro + parts for Noah Syndergaard(Mets) + parts makes a lot of sense in that situation. He's at AA which is close to the cubs timeline and had 11.50 k/9 with 2.00 bb/9 with a 3.00 ERA in 54 IP at AA last year. At A+ he was 9.05 k/9 with a 2.26 bb/9 with a 3.11 ERA. You may ask why does this make sense for the Mets? Well for one they already have a lot of good young pitching. Harvey(25) was fairly dominant before getting hurt. Gee is a decent mid-rotation type and is only 28. Niese is another decent mid-rotation type and he'll be 27. Zach Wheeler is going to be 24 and was the #6 prospect before the 2012 season projecting as a top of the rotation type. Jeremy Hefner was their 5th last year and while he wasn't very good he's still only going to be 28 plus finding 5th starters is something you can do in FA. They also have Rafael Montero who's #85 on MLB.com's top 100.

On the other hand, they trotted out Justin Turner(now a FA) for 214 PAs at SS, Omar Quintanilla for 359 PAs (.222/.306/.283) and Ruben Tejada for 227 PAs(.202/.259/.260). Their best SS prospect is Gavin Cecchini who was #9 before the 2013 year. He's going to be 20 this year and hit .273/.319/.314 in A- last year. So, he's light years away and the mets could be ready to compete as soon as this year and definitely should be ready when Harvey fully returns. They supposedly are mildly interested in Stephen Drew which would obviously make this less likely but if they don't get him then they may have few options.

Oh one more thing. There's a possibility that Trea Turner(SS) may fall to the cubs in the draft in which case it matters even less that Baez sticks at SS. You'd essentially be trading Castro and <insert pitching prospect> for Syndergaard and Turner in that case and I personally would feel much more comfortable having Syndergaard as the pitching prospect because he's at AA and thus closer to the majors.

Bunch of things.

1) it takes 2 teams to trade. Many people forget this.

2) Mets said they don't want to replace/upgrade Reuben Tejada. Tejada just turned 24 and coming off a tough year he played part time in, mainly because the mets fucked him and sent him down for summer.

3) Mets have also said no plans to move Syndergaard, and plan their future rotation to include Harvey, Wheeler, and Noah. They would more likely move Gee or Niese for hitters. Why trade for this guy only to flip him a year and change later?

4) Castro is a gigantic liability defensively. So it would only be realistic that the mets demand a top prospect with Castro to receive Syndergaard package deal.

5) Teams don't make deals because 'they make sense.' Teams make deals to improve their team. A package as you suggest with Castro as the centerpiece (provided he bounces back) makes little sense for a team like the mets with options at SS, not dire and desperate of need. If they trade any of their arms, it will be for a major need down the line when they make their pick or can't afford one.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Bunch of things.

1) it takes 2 teams to trade. Many people forget this.

2) Mets said they don't want to replace/upgrade Reuben Tejada. Tejada just turned 24 and coming off a tough year he played part time in, mainly because the mets fucked him and sent him down for summer.

3) Mets have also said no plans to move Syndergaard, and plan their future rotation to include Harvey, Wheeler, and Noah. They would more likely move Gee or Niese for hitters. Why trade for this guy only to flip him a year and change later?

4) Castro is a gigantic liability defensively. So it would only be realistic that the mets demand a top prospect with Castro to receive Syndergaard package deal.

5) Teams don't make deals because 'they make sense.' Teams make deals to improve their team. A package as you suggest with Castro as the centerpiece (provided he bounces back) makes little sense for a team like the mets with options at SS, not dire and desperate of need. If they trade any of their arms, it will be for a major need down the line when they make their pick or can't afford one.

1) I gave reasons it makes sense for both teams
2) Tejada even in the minors isn't projected as even average. In the majors he's .259/.323/.319 with no power and speed(13 SB in 1359 PAs). The past 3 years in AAA he hit .288/.337/.379, .246/.314/.353 and .280/.329/.344. His best case is an slightly below average major league hitter and he's not reached that in 1400 PAs. Castro in 2012(his 2nd worst year) hit .283/.323/.430 with 25 SB and 15 HRs. I'm not going to pretend to be a big Castro fan here but to compare these two there's no real comparison. Castro is a better version of him in every regard. Even if you want to talk defense, Castro's UZR/150 is -2.8 vs 0.8 which is a marginal difference.
3) Plans can always change. As for why you would trade for him and flip him a year later, they wanted some return for Dickey and the Jays were the ones biting. He wasn't the only player they got out of the deal. And as is case with a lot of teams you can't always match what you need with what is available so you often have to make multiple moves.
4) Debatable. Again, I'm not a huge Castro backer so I'm not going to sit here and defend him. However, didi gregorius was a 1.4 WAR player last year. Castro was a 3.1 and 3.2 WAR player in 2011-2012. Gregorius was traded for Bauer who was the #38 prospect before last year. So, we can sit here and debate but given recent trades that are similar it's a fair trade without any other major pieces.
5) I'd argue they are in dire need. Tejada isn't a solution. He's playing because he's literally all they have. Castro despite his flaws was still a top 10 SS from 2010-2012. What other offense do they have? Wright is clearly a good building block. Byrd was good last year but he's gone. Murphy's decent at 2B. That's what amounts to their offense. They have really great young pitching but no offense. Travis d'Arnaud will help at C. But after him they don't have impact bats ready.

Now I'm not saying it's a guarantee to happen but the deal makes sense for both teams. The mets have little offense currently and are especially weak at SS while having lots of pitching. The cubs have Baez who is knocking on the door at SS and could even consider moving Lake back if they dealt Castro and Baez didn't stick and they need quality pitching. Like I said, I am not in love with Castro and that's the reason I'd be open to trading him in the first place. But it's not like he doesn't hold value. He's young, has been a top 10 SS in the past who's locked up long term.

Also, I do find the juxtaposition with you sort of humorous. When cubs prospects are brought up they are lottery tickets who don't matter til they are proven MLB players. But when we're talking about Syndergaard for a proven MLB SS it's Castro who's not enough. Just seems like stuff is always browner on the cubs side of the fence with you.

patg006

Liked Posts:
1) I gave reasons it makes sense for both teams
2) Tejada even in the minors isn't projected as even average. In the majors he's .259/.323/.319 with no power and speed(13 SB in 1359 PAs). The past 3 years in AAA he hit .288/.337/.379, .246/.314/.353 and .280/.329/.344. His best case is an slightly below average major league hitter and he's not reached that in 1400 PAs. Castro in 2012(his 2nd worst year) hit .283/.323/.430 with 25 SB and 15 HRs. I'm not going to pretend to be a big Castro fan here but to compare these two there's no real comparison. Castro is a better version of him in every regard. Even if you want to talk defense, Castro's UZR/150 is -2.8 vs 0.8 which is a marginal difference.
3) Plans can always change. As for why you would trade for him and flip him a year later, they wanted some return for Dickey and the Jays were the ones biting. He wasn't the only player they got out of the deal. And as is case with a lot of teams you can't always match what you need with what is available so you often have to make multiple moves.
4) Debatable. Again, I'm not a huge Castro backer so I'm not going to sit here and defend him. However, didi gregorius was a 1.4 WAR player last year. Castro was a 3.1 and 3.2 WAR player in 2011-2012. Gregorius was traded for Bauer who was the #38 prospect before last year. So, we can sit here and debate but given recent trades that are similar it's a fair trade without any other major pieces.
5) I'd argue they are in dire need. Tejada isn't a solution. He's playing because he's literally all they have. Castro despite his flaws was still a top 10 SS from 2010-2012. What other offense do they have? Wright is clearly a good building block. Byrd was good last year but he's gone. Murphy's decent at 2B. That's what amounts to their offense. They have really great young pitching but no offense. Travis d'Arnaud will help at C. But after him they don't have impact bats ready.

Now I'm not saying it's a guarantee to happen but the deal makes sense for both teams. The mets have little offense currently and are especially weak at SS while having lots of pitching. The cubs have Baez who is knocking on the door at SS and could even consider moving Lake back if they dealt Castro and Baez didn't stick and they need quality pitching. Like I said, I am not in love with Castro and that's the reason I'd be open to trading him in the first place. But it's not like he doesn't hold value. He's young, has been a top 10 SS in the past who's locked up long term.

Also, I do find the juxtaposition with you sort of humorous. When cubs prospects are brought up they are lottery tickets who don't matter til they are proven MLB players. But when we're talking about Syndergaard for a proven MLB SS it's Castro who's not enough. Just seems like stuff is always browner on the cubs side of the fence with you.

Your 'reasoning' is that the mets have 5 other guys and you insinuate they're all better than Syndergaard, so he should be traded because of it.

It takes 2 teams to trade. Your 'package' includes a player trying to bounce back an inconsistent year.

They're not dire, you look at Tejada's 2013 and assume they're in dire need, yet his pretty good years in 2012 and 2011 get ignored. You don't take into account he got hurt in May 2013 with his quad, he had a hot start to the year, and then came back in September struggling until he got hurt again. He's in their plans for at least 2 more years. Is he the long term solution? Unknown. But to call the Mets' need of a SS 'dire,' you're overcompensating.

Very very rarely will you see a team trade for a prospect then flip him shortly after, players too. Unless his name is Ryan Langerhans.

The mets dont need Castro as much as you think. And no matter how many times you can pull off the trade in MLB2K, there's no guarantee NYM will even entertain the idea of the deal unless the cubs throw in a juicy OF prospect, something the Mets are lacking right now, especially with Cesar Puello getting busted for PEDs.

Your rationale that Castro makes sense for the mets because he provides more offense with Wright/Murphy is laughable. So if the DBacks offered Aaron Hill for Shark it would make sense because Hill plays 2B, a dire need for the cubs and he provides offense. It makes sense. So why not pull the trigger?

IF this were to ever be entertained, Almora for Syndergaard makes far more sense to the mets than Starlin Castro. I doubt anyone wants to touch Castro while giving up talent, even if he works his way back to average.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Interesting arguement. Castro got his mechanics fucked with. The league knew he was at his best as a battler at the dish vs a waiter. It killed his aggressiveness.

Bottom line is he will most likely bounce back with dip shit Dale not trying to fuck with him.

He is a 3 war player.

Now if they did trade him the natural solution is to put Murphy back at SS (as he played in Iowa). Then platoon Valbuena and Olt at 3B.

Again they have the depth to pull this off.

But

Until Baez proves that he is not a 30-40 error guy Castro is better at SS. With all of the talk on Castro he reduced his errors last year. His bat should come back and with his improvement in the field and his age and long term control he should have real value if Baez solidifies his D.

In the end I am not trading.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
They're not dire, you look at Tejada's 2013 and assume they're in dire need, yet his pretty good years in 2012 and 2011 get ignored.

2011 - 31 runs 0 HRs 36 RBIs and 5 SBs .284/.360/.335
2012 - 53 runs 1 HR 25 RBIS 4 SBs .289/.333/.351
2013 - 20 runs 0 HRs 10 RBIs and 2 SBs .202/.259/.260

So that's pretty good? Then what's this?

2011 - 91 runs 10 HRs 66 RBIs 22 SBs .307/.341/.432
2012 - 78 runs 14 HRs 78 RBIs 25 SBs .283/.323/.430
2013 - 59 runs 10 HRs 44 RBIs 9 SBs .245/.284/.347

Sorry man but if the cubs had a player who's career high for runs/rbi's was 53 and 36 you would call him absolute garbage and you know it not "pretty good." You can't even use the argument that Tejada is a young guy who will grow into his skill set because they are the same age. As for your Aaron Hill comparison, I'm not sure where you pulled that out of your ass from. Aaron Hill is 31 not 24. Aaron Hill is making roughly $12 mil/year not around $5. The cubs have a legit 2nd base prospect in their farm system ready to come up. To make that sort of argument it would have to be for starting pitching as they have legit prospects in every other positional prospect which the mets don't for SS. Their best guy is their 9th best prospect who's just going to be 20 and the Mets farm system isn't that deep. He's at a similar level to someone like Matt Szczur. If you're going to make that sort of comparison it would something like Jarrod Parker(3.5 war in 2012 at 23 and 1.3 WAR at 24) for x on the cubs.

Point being, if Tejada isn't dire then Darwin Barney's good piece for the future right?

2011 - 66 runs 2 HRs 43 RBIs 9 SBs .276/.313/.353
2012 - 73 runs 7 HRs 44 RBIs 6 SBs .254/.299/.354
2013 - 49 runs 7 HRs 41 RBIs 4 SBs .208/.266/.303

patg006

Liked Posts:
2011 - 31 runs 0 HRs 36 RBIs and 5 SBs .284/.360/.335
2012 - 53 runs 1 HR 25 RBIS 4 SBs .289/.333/.351
2013 - 20 runs 0 HRs 10 RBIs and 2 SBs .202/.259/.260

So that's pretty good? Then what's this?

2011 - 91 runs 10 HRs 66 RBIs 22 SBs .307/.341/.432
2012 - 78 runs 14 HRs 78 RBIs 25 SBs .283/.323/.430
2013 - 59 runs 10 HRs 44 RBIs 9 SBs .245/.284/.347

Sorry man but if the cubs had a player who's career high for runs/rbi's was 53 and 36 you would call him absolute garbage and you know it not "pretty good." You can't even use the argument that Tejada is a young guy who will grow into his skill set because they are the same age. As for your Aaron Hill comparison, I'm not sure where you pulled that out of your ass from. Aaron Hill is 31 not 24. Aaron Hill is making roughly $12 mil/year not around $5. The cubs have a legit 2nd base prospect in their farm system ready to come up. To make that sort of argument it would have to be for starting pitching as they have legit prospects in every other positional prospect which the mets don't for SS. Their best guy is their 9th best prospect who's just going to be 20 and the Mets farm system isn't that deep. He's at a similar level to someone like Matt Szczur. If you're going to make that sort of comparison it would something like Jarrod Parker(3.5 war in 2012 at 23 and 1.3 WAR at 24) for x on the cubs.

Point being, if Tejada isn't dire then Darwin Barney's good piece for the future right?

2011 - 66 runs 2 HRs 43 RBIs 9 SBs .276/.313/.353
2012 - 73 runs 7 HRs 44 RBIs 6 SBs .254/.299/.354
2013 - 49 runs 7 HRs 41 RBIs 4 SBs .208/.266/.303

I'm not debating Ruben Tejada is a better player than Starlin, cupcake. I would take Starlin at the plate in a second.

I'm debating that if the Mets were to entertain Noah Syndergaard trade talks with the cubs, Castro would not be who they go after/want based on the fact they want to give Ruben Tejada another chance, maybe two because he just turned 24, post injury-plagued 2013. He has shown incredible promise at the plate and although inconsistent like Castro, I'd call him better on defense. The mets have openly stated he will be their starter pending injury in 2014, and unless he outright tanks, its his job.

They will want Almora or Soler to begin talks. Their top 2 OF prospects are Cesar Puello, serving a 50 game ban that goes into 2014 season for PEDs through Biogenesis and Brandon Nimmo, who is lacklusting to put it nicely at A+.

But Boy Blunder wont give up his precious prospects.

marines1

Liked Posts:
Garza got a good deal with the Brewers.

I would happily had the Cubs sign him for the same amount.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I'm debating that if the Mets were to entertain Noah Syndergaard trade talks with the cubs, Castro would not be who they go after/want based on the fact they want to give Ruben Tejada another chance, maybe two because he just turned 24, post injury-plagued 2013.

Ok humor me for a minute then. You agree Castro over Tejada is a big upgrade. I think you'd also agree that 2013 for Castro was an anomaly not the norm. How much of one is open for debate but he should be better in some extent in 2014. If you take 2010-2013 these are the top SS in terms of WAR

#1 Troy Tulowitzki(29)
#2 Jose Reyes(31)
#3 Jimmy Rollins(35)
#4 Alexei Ramirez(32)
#5 Elvis Andrus(25)
#6 J.J. Hardy(31)
#7 Erick Aybar(30)
#8 Jhonny Peralta(32)
#9 Starlin Castro(24)

I've already stated the upgrade is a need. Who on the above list are they realistically getting then? Rollins is no longer the player he once was so he's out. I don't see any reason why the Rangers would trade Andrus now that they have a place for Profar and he is no longer blocked. Peralta is signed long term and unlikely to be traded. So that leaves Tulow, Reyes, Ramirez, Hardy, and Aybar as "better" options. Tulow is flat out going to cost Syndergaard + another two to three top level pieces. Doubt they have the prospects. Reyes is making around $17 mil a year and I don't really see why the Jays would be inclined to move him. The O's are actual competitors for the playoffs so I think Hardy is unlikely to be moved over the next couple years either. The Angels might be willing to move Aybar but given their large contract one would think they are still looking to compete soon.

Point here being there's not a lot of options out there. The Sox have supposedly talked about moving Ramirez and they like the cubs are in rebuild mode so it would make sense. However, if you say their window is the next 5ish years are you betting on a 32-37 year old Ramirez or a 24-29 year old Castro? Also, I don't get your reasoning on why someone would want Almora over Castro especially given your feelings on prospects. Almora's peak unless he puts on some big time power is likely Coco Crisp level as a player. Crisp has 4 seasons better than Castro's 2011-2012 with 3.9 WAR in 2004, 5.1 WAR in 2005, 4.4 WAR in 2007 and 3.9 WAR last year. That's assuming Almora meets expectations which as you well know is far from a guarantee.

Maybe the mets decide to package him for some other position but the need on offense is real. So trading Noah for offense makes total sense. I've already demonstrated the need at SS is real. I'm not saying Castro is their only option if they decide to trade Noah just that it's one that makes sense and as I've illustrated here SS is a difficult position to fill.

patg006

Liked Posts:
Ok humor me for a minute then. You agree Castro over Tejada is a big upgrade. I think you'd also agree that 2013 for Castro was an anomaly not the norm. How much of one is open for debate but he should be better in some extent in 2014. If you take 2010-2013 these are the top SS in terms of WAR

#1 Troy Tulowitzki(29)
#2 Jose Reyes(31)
#3 Jimmy Rollins(35)
#4 Alexei Ramirez(32)
#5 Elvis Andrus(25)
#6 J.J. Hardy(31)
#7 Erick Aybar(30)
#8 Jhonny Peralta(32)
#9 Starlin Castro(24)

I've already stated the upgrade is a need. Who on the above list are they realistically getting then? Rollins is no longer the player he once was so he's out. I don't see any reason why the Rangers would trade Andrus now that they have a place for Profar and he is no longer blocked. Peralta is signed long term and unlikely to be traded. So that leaves Tulow, Reyes, Ramirez, Hardy, and Aybar as "better" options. Tulow is flat out going to cost Syndergaard + another two to three top level pieces. Doubt they have the prospects. Reyes is making around $17 mil a year and I don't really see why the Jays would be inclined to move him. The O's are actual competitors for the playoffs so I think Hardy is unlikely to be moved over the next couple years either. The Angels might be willing to move Aybar but given their large contract one would think they are still looking to compete soon.

Point here being there's not a lot of options out there. The Sox have supposedly talked about moving Ramirez and they like the cubs are in rebuild mode so it would make sense. However, if you say their window is the next 5ish years are you betting on a 32-37 year old Ramirez or a 24-29 year old Castro? Also, I don't get your reasoning on why someone would want Almora over Castro especially given your feelings on prospects. Almora's peak unless he puts on some big time power is likely Coco Crisp level as a player. Crisp has 4 seasons better than Castro's 2011-2012 with 3.9 WAR in 2004, 5.1 WAR in 2005, 4.4 WAR in 2007 and 3.9 WAR last year. That's assuming Almora meets expectations which as you well know is far from a guarantee.

Maybe the mets decide to package him for some other position but the need on offense is real. So trading Noah for offense makes total sense. I've already demonstrated the need at SS is real. I'm not saying Castro is their only option if they decide to trade Noah just that it's one that makes sense and as I've illustrated here SS is a difficult position to fill.

No doubt the Mets can upgrade the SS position and find someone better than Tejada. He's no world beater, he's no elite talent. But they're giving him more of a chance because he looked more than serviceable when he was on.

Forget my view on prospects for a second, and forget WAR too (shitty, useless statistic I've told you why I distrust). I'm taking the point of view like I am the mets front office, and common sense. I got Tejada and he's penciled in to start the 2014 year pending injury setbacks at SS. I got that kid Ceccini you mentioned, though he doesn't look fabulous. But still, cant write off a 20 year old 1st round pick from a year or two ago who wasn't outstanding, but looks okay.

The big problem with the mets is.......what is my outfield look like in the future? I got a 21 year old Brandon Nimmo who like I said, isn't spectacular at A+.

I also have Cesar Puello, who had a dynamite year, then got busted for roids.

What's the future? You got Grandy locked in. You got Chris Young on a 1 year flyer. Certainly not a future fixture coming off a year he couldn't hit his weight. Then you got Juan Lagares who barely hit his weight, and his OBP blows. Then there's Matt den Dekkar, who also sucked--but he's young.

Do you see why common sense dictates that yes, the Mets could stand to upgrade the SS position but it seems they would more be in the market for an OF if they are dealing one of their top arms in the minors?

Maybe its just me putting myself in the other team's shoes. But if you gave me Castro for Syndergaard, A) I'd look around to see what more I could get (like any team would do) and B) I'd milk you for more because I have the upper hand it doesn't behoove me to ship off a top pitching prospect because you think I need offense. Then there's C) He's not untouchable, but you make the deal to my liking.

Castro for Syndergaard makes sense to you and your half baked situation you can back up with all the stats you want. It doesn't make sense for the Mets because common sense tells you they're committed to Tejada for at least this year and they have other more pressing needs to deal a trump card of a pitching prospect.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
This should not be about Castro's return value.

It should be about if Baez can hold down SS at this level.

Until Baez proves he can control his errors Castro is going nowhere.

I'm expecting Baez to be pushed to 3B if Olt doesn't win a job. If Olt bounces back then Baez is going to 2B. Alacantra then gets pushed to the OF as Almora is still a year at min out at that point.

This is really all about Baez in the end.

What could end up happening is Olt's vision corrects and Valbuena moves over to 2B. He played 2B in the winter league so this is something that was prepared for in advance. (Note Lake played OF last winter/Theo's guys are not that dumb)

At that point Baez projects at 2B. I would make the switches out of S/T even though I doubt they will. Lake didn't hit LF until he hit the Cubs.

So around the ASG move Alcantara to CF and Baez to 2B. At that point RF should be opening up. If Bryant needs more time then push Sweeney over to his natural RF spot or give it to Rugg. Depends on performance.

The last thing they should do is open holes on the team before the plug is proven.

Going forward. Almora will take another year and at that point they can decide if Baez can handle SS. If so then make a trade when Castro's value is higher.

Trading at low value is not to smart in general anyways,

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Do you see why common sense dictates that yes, the Mets could stand to upgrade the SS position but it seems they would more be in the market for an OF if they are dealing one of their top arms in the minors?

Maybe its just me putting myself in the other team's shoes. But if you gave me Castro for Syndergaard, A) I'd look around to see what more I could get (like any team would do) and B) I'd milk you for more because I have the upper hand it doesn't behoove me to ship off a top pitching prospect because you think I need offense. Then there's C) He's not untouchable, but you make the deal to my liking.

Castro for Syndergaard makes sense to you and your half baked situation you can back up with all the stats you want. It doesn't make sense for the Mets because common sense tells you they're committed to Tejada for at least this year and they have other more pressing needs to deal a trump card of a pitching prospect.

As I said, there may be other options perhaps even better options. But you're not likely to get Stanton for Noah alone. It's doubtful Cargo gets traded for that alone. So who are you getting? It's fine and well to say they need an OF. Forgetting for a moment your issues with WAR, just use it as a way of ranking players. How man 3+ WAR type talents are there that are A) Available B) cost similar prospects and C) fit their age/price range?

Last year there were 65 players with 3+ WAR which is the level of player Castro was in 2011-2012. Again, even if you don't care for a statistic it's fair to suggest there's only around 65 players of a similar level or better. Of those there were 23 with 5+ WAR who would likely take well more than Noah alone to get. That leaves you with around 40 players. Of those only these players were on noncompetitive teams last year which is to say teams that were fringe playoffs or better.

Gerardo Parra(dbacks)
Jose Bautista(jays)
Edwin Encarnacion(jays)
Chris Denorfia(padres)
Chase Utley(phillies)
Jonathan Lucroy(brewers)
Chase Headley(padres)
Kyle Seager(mariners)
Jean Segura(Brewers)
Alexei Ramirez(white sox)
Daniel Murphy(mets)

There's perhaps others who are available but my point here is that it's not like there's 50 guys to choose from. There's a limited amount of players that fit their needs and are actually available. It's not some half baked solution as you make it out to be. If Castro is someone the front office is willing to part with he'd be one of the very few young all-star level talents available. Also your suggestion that the mets have the upper hand is pure speculation. If the cubs put Castro on the market there's 20 teams he'd be an upgrade for at SS. And as I suggested earlier how many realistic options are there if you're a team that wants to upgrade? Castro makes sense for the mets but any other of these teams who are in the hunt for the playoffs next year would also make sense. It's not like there is 0 market for a 24 year old former all star SS. As such the cubs have leverage. On the contrary, the Dbacks last year wanted a SS who wasn't as good as Castro and gave up Bauer for him who baseball america had as the #14 prospect.

What amazes me is your stance on Noah given your past comments. I mean for crying out loud he's not even pitched in the majors and only has 50 innings at AA. Sure he's a talented young pitcher but you're acting as though he's Shelby Miller or Wacha who are talented young pitcher proven in the majors. Tyler Skaggs(#12 prospect before last year and unproven in the majors) and Adam Eaton were traded for Trumbo(his best year last year he was 2.5 WAR). Whether or not you like WAR to sit here and say Trumbo is more valuable than Castro is asinine. SS is a much more valuable position. Castro's production prior to this year was better. Castro's younger. Castro's locked up long term.

Like I said before, I'm not guaranteeing it happens. But you're sitting here saying there's better options and giving 0 examples. You say they need an OF then who are they going to get for Noah alone who's on a similar talent level to Castro, has a similar age and is locked up long term cheap? The only reason the cubs would even entertain trading someone like Castro is because they have an even better talent nearing the majors at the same position. Of the top 30 prospects I'm fairly certain Baez is the only positional prospect legitimately "blocked" by someone at the major league level.

Oh and I don't know if Theo would but I'd deal Almora in a heartbeat for Noah rather than trading Castro because castro has far more value.

patg006

Liked Posts:
As I said, there may be other options perhaps even better options. But you're not likely to get Stanton for Noah alone. It's doubtful Cargo gets traded for that alone. So who are you getting? It's fine and well to say they need an OF. Forgetting for a moment your issues with WAR, just use it as a way of ranking players. How man 3+ WAR type talents are there that are A) Available B) cost similar prospects and C) fit their age/price range?

Last year there were 65 players with 3+ WAR which is the level of player Castro was in 2011-2012. Again, even if you don't care for a statistic it's fair to suggest there's only around 65 players of a similar level or better. Of those there were 23 with 5+ WAR who would likely take well more than Noah alone to get. That leaves you with around 40 players. Of those only these players were on noncompetitive teams last year which is to say teams that were fringe playoffs or better.

Gerardo Parra(dbacks)
Jose Bautista(jays)
Edwin Encarnacion(jays)
Chris Denorfia(padres)
Chase Utley(phillies)
Jonathan Lucroy(brewers)
Chase Headley(padres)
Kyle Seager(mariners)
Jean Segura(Brewers)
Alexei Ramirez(white sox)
Daniel Murphy(mets)

There's perhaps others who are available but my point here is that it's not like there's 50 guys to choose from. There's a limited amount of players that fit their needs and are actually available. It's not some half baked solution as you make it out to be. If Castro is someone the front office is willing to part with he'd be one of the very few young all-star level talents available. Also your suggestion that the mets have the upper hand is pure speculation. If the cubs put Castro on the market there's 20 teams he'd be an upgrade for at SS. And as I suggested earlier how many realistic options are there if you're a team that wants to upgrade? Castro makes sense for the mets but any other of these teams who are in the hunt for the playoffs next year would also make sense. It's not like there is 0 market for a 24 year old former all star SS. As such the cubs have leverage. On the contrary, the Dbacks last year wanted a SS who wasn't as good as Castro and gave up Bauer for him who baseball america had as the #14 prospect.

What amazes me is your stance on Noah given your past comments. I mean for crying out loud he's not even pitched in the majors and only has 50 innings at AA. Sure he's a talented young pitcher but you're acting as though he's Shelby Miller or Wacha who are talented young pitcher proven in the majors. Tyler Skaggs(#12 prospect before last year and unproven in the majors) and Adam Eaton were traded for Trumbo(his best year last year he was 2.5 WAR). Whether or not you like WAR to sit here and say Trumbo is more valuable than Castro is asinine. SS is a much more valuable position. Castro's production prior to this year was better. Castro's younger. Castro's locked up long term.

Like I said before, I'm not guaranteeing it happens. But you're sitting here saying there's better options and giving 0 examples. You say they need an OF then who are they going to get for Noah alone who's on a similar talent level to Castro, has a similar age and is locked up long term cheap? The only reason the cubs would even entertain trading someone like Castro is because they have an even better talent nearing the majors at the same position. Of the top 30 prospects I'm fairly certain Baez is the only positional prospect legitimately "blocked" by someone at the major league level.

Oh and I don't know if Theo would but I'd deal Almora in a heartbeat for Noah rather than trading Castro because castro has far more value.

Syndergaard won't get Stanton, you're correct.

I'm not sure the Brewers are ready to sell just yet, they've made a few moves to be competitive in 2014, and with the Reds likely regression and unknowns in Pittsburgh, they have an outside chance for the 4-5 WC seed. And I also think they'll shop Braun before Segura and Lucroy, though if they tank/are out of it I expect a huge fire sale of Aramis, Braun, Yovanni, and Lucroy. Maybe Gomez if someone offers an arm and a leg.

I hate hyping prospects, period. But in your trade scenario, I put myself in the Mets' shoes, because A) i hate trade scenarios that wont happen and B) everybody forgets it takes 2 teams to trade, so saying 'it works for my team' is easy, but does it work for the OTHER team--people forget that, so I like to be devil's advocate.

Syndergaard is the 11th ranked prospect now, 21, and probably going to start in AAA. He's shown talent with plus pitches being his fast which normally sits at 98 mph and curve. He still has to work on his change and develop a 4th pitch, some scouts suggest a cutter. He looks like Josh Johnson and draws comparisons. Both are tall, 3 pitch pitchers with ridiculous fast balls, powering 12-6 and a change.

I'm not devaluing Castro. I'm not devaluing his contract or 1 anomaly of a year. I like Castro.

I'm saying from the Mets standpoint, an OF would be more imperative in a return for a blue chip pitching prospect who is very close to being Major League ready. Put yourself in the mets' shoes. Short term you don't need a SS. Long term if Tejada and Ceccini don't work out then yes. But theres a plan there.

OF wise there are too many questions. You got a 32 year old grandy locked in for 4 years and a lot of money. There's chris young. A bust they're trying to catch lightning in a bottle with. Then there's 2 other bums who cant cut it. The one promising OF prospect wont be hitting .326 with 20 home runs after his suspension.

There are nothing but question marks short and long term with the Mets' OF situation. If I'm the Mets, Castro would be nice, but he's not as dire as the need of OF help. Its that simple.

I'd dish Almora or Soler for Syndergaard too. It would make much more sense to the Mets to entertain THAT instead of a Castro package that doesn't solve their OF situation, unless a half baked prospect in the OF like a Ruby Silva is added, even then no help.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I hate hyping prospects, period. But in your trade scenario, I put myself in the Mets' shoes, because A) i hate trade scenarios that wont happen and B) everybody forgets it takes 2 teams to trade, so saying 'it works for my team' is easy, but does it work for the OTHER team--people forget that, so I like to be devil's advocate.

I guess that's our point of contention because I don't think it's that unlikely. To me, the biggest barriers for this trade are all on the cubs side not the Mets. Does Baez actually make it in the MLB? And if he does, is it at SS. And if both of those two does Alcantara also make it at 2B. If all of those 3 answers are yes then you shop Castro for your biggest needs which are obviously pitching. The Mets are one of the few teams who have an obvious need at SS and have the ability to match the prospects the cubs would want. Maybe they find OF a bigger need as you suggest but that doesn't mean there are better options than Castro would be. Also, it is generally much easier to find OF in FA than it is starting SS not to mention they have 2 OF prospects that were higher rated than their best SS prospect to start last year.

Either way, whether the trade is real or not doesn't really matter. Castro very well could be a trade piece used to get quality pitching. That's the overarching point. Making the roster work with him at SS requires moving several guys off their current position. Maybe that's what happens but the cubs have Olt, Bryant, Candelario, and Villanueva who are all decently well regarded 3B prospects. Pushing Baez there blocks all of those. Bryant likely can move to the OF but the other guys aren't really ideal there. If you push Baez to 2B then Alcantara has to be an OF. So, the ideal situation is that Baez works out at SS and Alcantara works out at 2B. That then gives you the ability to use the immense depth they have at 3B and you'd only likely have to move one(probably still Bryant) to the OF. Also, Castro would have far more value than Olt even if Olt becomes the player you'd hope. So, I think the idea of moving him in a trade if he rebounds this year makes less sense than moving Castro assuming they are right and Baez sticks at SS.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Still the best answer is to let it play out. Right now Castro is at Chicago and 3B/2B/CF/LF/RF are all in question. Lake may be long term but he lacks a good BB rate. So he could bust.

Best option is to let it play out vs force things before the natural progression.

The thing is the Cubs need to build a starting 8 more than to build a rotation.

IMO they need to keep drafting and developing pitching.

When the starting 8 get sorted then trade the excess for more pitching.

If that team becomes a play off team then signing F/A pitching become easier. No one wants to sign onto a loser.

There needs to be a process. Ya they need pitching talent but that takes time and should come through self development.