Poles won't spend FA money on a player when that position group needs more than one player.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
This goes in line with what people are saying around here, that spending heavily on one player, when we need many would actually make the team worse off.

"According to Dan Pompei of The Athletic, Poles thought about making a push for one of the bigger names on the receiver market. Somebody that might be able to become that #1 target for Justin Fields. However, he was talked out of it by assistant GM Ian Cunningham. The reason was that pouring that much money into one player wasn’t likely to make this team better. A wiser course of action was spreading it around to multiple receivers. Particularly types that offer athletic versatility.

IN A FREE-AGENCY MEETING WITH OTHER TEAM PERSONNEL, IT HAS HAPPENED ALREADY. POLES SAID HE WAS LOOKING AT OPPORTUNITIES WITH A NARROW VISION.
“I DON’T WANT TO BE TOO SPECIFIC, BUT IT WAS LIKE, WOULD YOU RATHER PAY ONE RECEIVER ONE LUMP SUM, OR HAVE TWO RECEIVERS THAT BETTER YOUR TEAM?” SAID POLES, WHO APPARENTLY DECIDED AGAINST PAYING ONE RECEIVER BIG MONEY. “OR DO YOU GO WITH A GUY THAT HAS VERSATILITY OR NO VERSATILITY? WAIT, THIS GUY CAN DO HIS JOB AND ANOTHER JOB. SHOULD WE CONSIDER THAT? IN FREE AGENCY, WE’RE TRYING TO BE DISCIPLINED IN HOW WE SPEND MONEY AND CAP SPACE, SO IT’S NEGOTIATING WHICH PLAYER TO CHOOSE.”

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
This goes in line with what people are saying around here, that spending heavily on one player, when we need many would actually make the team worse off.

"According to Dan Pompei of The Athletic, Poles thought about making a push for one of the bigger names on the receiver market. Somebody that might be able to become that #1 target for Justin Fields. However, he was talked out of it by assistant GM Ian Cunningham. The reason was that pouring that much money into one player wasn’t likely to make this team better. A wiser course of action was spreading it around to multiple receivers. Particularly types that offer athletic versatility.

And I agree with this approach.

We just have too many holes to sit here and try to spend our way out of it. Everyone was bitching about the dead money and the cap leading up to this off season, and now everyone wants us to spend like crazy to patch all these holes which would only fuck up our cap even more.

Meanwhile, those of us who are patient can see poles is lining things up for the future.

You aren't winning next year anyway, so get in some cheap veterans to field a team, invest in protecting fields but don't overpay any one position on the line since you likely will eventually be drafting their replacement in the next 3 years anyway, and rebuild your roster through the draft.

As long as your drafting is on point, you should be able to make noise by Year two of this regime, if Justin Fields is the guy. And instead of overspending for at best a potential 1A receiver, you can use your first round pick next year to draft a true number one.

Last edited:

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
And I agree with this approach.

We just have too many holes to sit here and try to spend our way out of it. Everyone was bitching about the dead money and the cat leading up to this off season, and now everyone wants us to spend like crazy to patch all these holes which would only fuck up our cap even more.

Meanwhile, those of us who are patient Tennessee poles is lining things up for the future.

You aren't winning next year anyway, so get in some cheap veterans to field a team, invest in protecting fields but don't overpay any one position on the line since you likely will eventually be drafting their replacement in the next 3 years anyway, and rebuild your roster through the draft.

As long as your drafting is on point, you should be able to make noise by Year two of this regime, if Justin Fields is the guy. And instead of overspending for at best a potential 1A receiver, you can use your first round pick next year to draft a true number one.
So poles shouldn’t put together a decent oline to protect a 2 year qb because we will suck regardless? That doesn’t make sense. And first day of fa he did spend 13.5 on a dt he just didn’t pass a physical.

You make good investments regardless of state of the team. None of the wrs in this fa were a good investment excellent pass by poles. Plenty good olinemen but poles passed in them anyways idt that was a good idea

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
I can see that approach, proper depth has been this teams biggest issue since the early Lovie years. Cunningham has seen what proper depth can do for a competitive roster with both the Ravens & in his first year in Philly(winning the SB).

I'll wait and see, because, I remember Pace saying he'd build through the draft

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
i'm not understanding the none of the WRs were good enough to sign thing....do you think the Chiefs think going from Pringle to JuJu was an upgrade or downgrade? We have one guy on the roster who has been a regular starter.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I can see that approach, proper depth has been this teams biggest issue since the early Lovie years. Cunningham has seen what proper depth can do for a competitive roster with both the Ravens & in his first year in Philly(winning the SB).

I'll wait and see, because, I remember Pace saying he'd build through the draft
Proper depth has been this teams biggest issue?

You and I must have very different takes on the QB position.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
i'm not understanding the none of the WRs were good enough to sign thing....do you think the Chiefs think going from Pringle to JuJu was an upgrade or downgrade? We have one guy on the roster who has been a regular starter.
I think that is a wash. Ju Ju may have been more productive when healthy, but he has missed time in two of the last three years, while Pringel has worked his way up to the #3 WR on a top team.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
ESB is almost making league minimum so I really don’t get how he factors into any decisions to be honest.

Yeah, that’s the thing. Poles could have still signed ESB no matter what other receiver he signed. Maybe he’s still planning on signing another WR in free agency and ESB is not factored into the equation.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Yeah, that’s the thing. Poles could have still signed ESB no matter what other receiver he signed. Maybe he’s still planning on signing another WR in free agency and ESB is not factored into the equation.
That’s what I was hoping too.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
if this is correct we paid 6mill for Pringle for 1 year and the Chiefs paid 3.25mill for JuJu for 1 year.....they must see Pringle as ascending and a better contributor or his special teams must be amazing ....or did they overpay?

the WR prospects at this point look like the chicks at closing time at a bar in Green Bay

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Proper depth has been this teams biggest issue?

You and I must have very different takes on the QB position.
The QB has been an issue since the 40's. I'm just kind of desensitized to it at this age.

We're still pretty early in free agency. Some I figured would have been signed by now. I'm not ready to rip my dick off, yet.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I'll panic when we go into 2023 with holes not being filled.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
What Poles is doing is smart. No reason to blow money just to maybe be mediocre next year.

Maybe it won't work out, but this is the right approach for a team that needs a complete overhaul.

I'm a little bummed that it seems like Fields' job will be tougher next season... but it is what it is.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
What Poles is doing is smart. No reason to blow money just to maybe be mediocre next year.

Maybe it won't work out, but this is the right approach for a team that needs a complete overhaul.

I'm a little bummed that it seems like Fields' job will be tougher next season... but it is what it is.
That's a big "if" IMO, it sure seemed like coaching and scheme were his biggest adversaries last year, sans the opposing team