Poles won't spend FA money on a player when that position group needs more than one player.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Yeah let’s take wr advice from the Philly guy. Cause they just crush it at that position for years right?

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
What Poles is doing is smart. No reason to blow money just to maybe be mediocre next year.

Maybe it won't work out, but this is the right approach for a team that needs a complete overhaul.

I'm a little bummed that it seems like Fields' job will be tougher next season... but it is what it is.
Not only that but I don't see a WR FA they could have gone after who was both legit and cost effective. Seen the Raiders go get the big name receivers plenty of times before and never seems to pan out for them. Guess you just have to hope Mooney steps up and they hit big on a WR in the draft.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So poles shouldn’t put together a decent oline to protect a 2 year qb because we will suck regardless? That doesn’t make sense. And first day of fa he did spend 13.5 on a dt he just didn’t pass a physical.

You make good investments regardless of state of the team. None of the wrs in this fa were a good investment excellent pass by poles. Plenty good olinemen but poles passed in them anyways idt that was a good idea

cutting goldman free'd up around 11m i think? so he was just gonna redirect that money to a DT that fit the system better than Goldman

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
You're just gonna forget the 600 yards Pringles had last year?
Idk what Pringles does with more opportunity but you’re talking about a guy on one of the best offenses with one of the best QBs. I’m fine with not spending big on the WRs that were available, but I think the rational from the article is bogus

Perspective

Liked Posts:
Typical idiots on this board .... just because Pringle got 600 yards in KC does not mean he will get 600 yards with the Bears .... in KC he had two of the best weapons in Tyreek Hill and Kelce that had the best DBs attention and the entire defensive plans by the opponent was geared towards stopping Hill and Kelce .... not garbage like Pringle .... if Pringle was any good why would Andy Reid let him go in FA? With the Bears he has a QB that was one of the worst QBs in the league throwing to him, and he has Mooney and Kmet .... not Hill and Kelce surrounding him .... same thing with ESB .... he was garbage despite having a much better QB and much better weapons around him.....

These pick ups are no better than the WRs Ryan Pace got for cheap last year for the Bears .... Poles has failed until now in making this team better ..... trading Mack is a horrible move too .... you do not give up all pros for 2nd round picks

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lest we forget, not filling holes often begets drafting strictly for need which is generally seen as a very suboptimal strategy.

Though... I will say that the only positions that I couldn't constrew as drafting for need are FB, K, C, QB, RB and maybe DE (We can also talk about individual LB positions but they are at least one short). Point being, there are so many need areas right now you're almost drafting need by drafting BPA this year.

Last edited:

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Typical idiots on this board .... just because Pringle got 600 yards in KC does not mean he will get 600 yards with the Bears .... in KC he had two of the best weapons in Tyreek Hill and Kelce that had the best DBs attention and the entire defensive plans by the opponent was geared towards stopping Hill and Kelce .... not garbage like Pringle .... if Pringle was any good why would Andy Reid let him go in FA? With the Bears he has a QB that was one of the worst QBs in the league throwing to him, and he has Mooney and Kmet .... not Hill and Kelce surrounding him .... same thing with ESB .... he was garbage despite having a much better QB and much better weapons around him.....

These pick ups are no better than the WRs Ryan Pace got for cheap last year for the Bears .... Poles has failed until now in making this team better ..... trading Mack is a horrible move too .... you do not give up all pros for 2nd round picks
With Kelce and Hill getting most of the targets in KC, 600 yards was impressive. I can see him putting up even more here easily.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:

You're not calling us idiots, you're calling Poles an idiot. A guy infinitely more experienced than you.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
And I agree with this approach.

We just have too many holes to sit here and try to spend our way out of it. Everyone was bitching about the dead money and the cat leading up to this off season, and now everyone wants us to spend like crazy to patch all these holes which would only fuck up our cap even more.

Meanwhile, those of us who are patient Tennessee poles is lining things up for the future.

You aren't winning next year anyway, so get in some cheap veterans to field a team, invest in protecting fields but don't overpay any one position on the line since you likely will eventually be drafting their replacement in the next 3 years anyway, and rebuild your roster through the draft.

As long as your drafting is on point, you should be able to make noise by Year two of this regime, if Justin Fields is the guy. And instead of overspending for at best a potential 1A receiver, you can use your first round pick next year to draft a true number one.
Excellent post.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Excellent post.
Thank you, but I saw it in your quote that voice to text absolutely butchered the shit out of a couple places in my post LOL.

I went back and fixed it. Thank you for the kudos!

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I don’t think they were completely opposed to signing one of the bigger names, but it had to be the perfect fit, and for the right price. That player wasn’t available, so they stuck to their guns and passed. I give them kudos for that.

Fans will complain, but those same fans would be complaining even louder if/when that player didn’t produce as expected.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Everyone also remember we are dealing with a 36 year old GM with very limited executive experience. He is going to make his fair share of mistakes.

With the coaching upgrade and the talent downgrade, I expect a similar season as last year. It is too bad that we are going to waste Fields inexpensive years, but that is just bad timing. Poles will earn his money if he stockpiles successful draft selections.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Meanwhile, those of us who are patient Tennessee poles is (are) lining things up for the future.
As opposed to impatient Georgia Poles or Fighting French Lick Irish?

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Lest we forget, not filling holes often begets drafting strictly for need which is generally seen as a very suboptimal strategy.

Though... I will say that the only positions that I couldn't constrew as drafting for need are FB, K, C, QB, RB and maybe DE (We can also talk about individual LB positions but they are at least one short). Point being, there are so many need areas right now you're almost drafting need by drafting BPA this year.
It'll be interesting to see Poles draft strategy. Pace was a fan of using FA to fill out the roster early and address needs so in the draft he could strictly draft BPA (or that's what he thought). Unfortunately, when you give FA's bad contracts and then also draft busts coupled with giving up a lot of picks you end up in the situation we are in now lol.

Personally, I think Poles is attacking this year as a throw away. A year to shed as many bad contracts as possible, spend wisely to not hurt the future and attack 2023. I think it's fine to go for a committee approach at WR for 2022, but he should really be bolstering the OL at least. And maybe he does that in the draft. If Fields has time, I don't think it'll matter much who he is throwing too.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
It'll be interesting to see Poles draft strategy. Pace was a fan of using FA to fill out the roster early and address needs so in the draft he could strictly draft BPA (or that's what he thought). Unfortunately, when you give FA's bad contracts and then also draft busts coupled with giving up a lot of picks you end up in the situation we are in now lol.

Personally, I think Poles is attacking this year as a throw away. A year to shed as many bad contracts as possible, spend wisely to not hurt the future and attack 2023. I think it's fine to go for a committee approach at WR for 2022, but he should really be bolstering the OL at least. And maybe he does that in the draft. If Fields has time, I don't think it'll matter much who he is throwing too.
I did not disagree with Pace's strategy. It was a good strategy, he just fucked around with too many bad decisions which ultimately cost him. But for the most part, we were never locked into drafting any specific player to fill an unaddressed need.

And unfortunately Pace's bad decisions are going to interfere with Pole's first year, and into his second year, because the cupboard was pretty bare for what he wants to accomplish. Thank goodness we have a QB to be excited over, but there looks like there are only two players on either side of the ball that I am ready to bet will be on this team in three years. I hope our first three picks are all on offense.