Poles won't spend FA money on a player when that position group needs more than one player.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I will say that this year's WR class doesn't look to have much SUPER ELITE talent, but there is a good amount of depth. Which should benefit us in the 2nd round and beyond.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
And I agree with this approach.

We just have too many holes to sit here and try to spend our way out of it. Everyone was bitching about the dead money and the cap leading up to this off season, and now everyone wants us to spend like crazy to patch all these holes which would only fuck up our cap even more.

Meanwhile, those of us who are patient can see poles is lining things up for the future.

You aren't winning next year anyway, so get in some cheap veterans to field a team, invest in protecting fields but don't overpay any one position on the line since you likely will eventually be drafting their replacement in the next 3 years anyway, and rebuild your roster through the draft.

As long as your drafting is on point, you should be able to make noise by Year two of this regime, if Justin Fields is the guy. And instead of overspending for at best a potential 1A receiver, you can use your first round pick next year to draft a true number one.
Rams and Saints have proven over the years the cap means jack shit.

UChiLAbear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
So he settled on Pringles an St brown cuz they play special teams? Lol

You're just gonna forget the 600 yards Pringles had last year?

The QB has been an issue since the 40's. I'm just kind of desensitized to it at this age.

We're still pretty early in free agency. Some I figured would have been signed by now. I'm not ready to rip my dick off, yet.
Not to be "anal"....but since '68......outside of McMahon......but I'm sure in the lifetime of most posters the QB position has been horrendous.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
So poles shouldn’t put together a decent oline to protect a 2 year qb because we will suck regardless? That doesn’t make sense. And first day of fa he did spend 13.5 on a dt he just didn’t pass a physical.

You make good investments regardless of state of the team. None of the wrs in this fa were a good investment excellent pass by poles. Plenty good olinemen but poles passed in them anyways idt that was a good idea
Still a lot of guys on the O line that are available and would improve the line. There's the stuff about Ryan Bates. Then you've still got Eric Fisher, Billy Turner, JC Tretter, David Quesenberry and others. The offensive line market has moved rather slowly, and considering how Armstead's deal with the Dolphins is considered somewhat a steal for a guy of his caliber (when healthy), Poles could end up solidifying the O line here with a couple of the aforementioned guys both found at a reasonable price. If he does, that's to be commended after years of having a GM that barely addressed it.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
And I agree with this approach.

We just have too many holes to sit here and try to spend our way out of it. Everyone was bitching about the dead money and the cap leading up to this off season, and now everyone wants us to spend like crazy to patch all these holes which would only fuck up our cap even more.

Meanwhile, those of us who are patient can see poles is lining things up for the future.

You aren't winning next year anyway, so get in some cheap veterans to field a team, invest in protecting fields but don't overpay any one position on the line since you likely will eventually be drafting their replacement in the next 3 years anyway, and rebuild your roster through the draft.

As long as your drafting is on point, you should be able to make noise by Year two of this regime, if Justin Fields is the guy. And instead of overspending for at best a potential 1A receiver, you can use your first round pick next year to draft a true number one.
Right on but they gotta hit on the draft.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Still a lot of guys on the O line that are available and would improve the line. There's the stuff about Ryan Bates. Then you've still got Eric Fisher, Billy Turner, JC Tretter, David Quesenberry and others. The offensive line market has moved rather slowly, and considering how Armstead's deal with the Dolphins is considered somewhat a steal for a guy of his caliber (when healthy), Poles could end up solidifying the O line here with a couple of the aforementioned guys both found at a reasonable price. If he does, that's to be commended after years of having a GM that barely addressed it.
We need Jamarcus webb and frank omyalye that would be a dream oline!

SpinachTeeth

Liked Posts:
I honestly don’t care about Poles ignoring the overpriced WRs in this year’s free agent class. It’s better to go draft or wait till next year when we can compete since we’re not expected to this year anyway.

However, I’m not ok with ignoring the offensive line other than a couple career backups from other teams. The O-line can’t usually be built in 1 off-season. We need to start protecting fields, starting today, both for his development for the coming years and before we have an Andrew Luck type situation. Lucas/Bates are not cutting it. If there’s anywhere we need to spend, it has to be O-line. This year. And then again next year. And then again the year after that.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I honestly don’t care about Poles ignoring the overpriced WRs in this year’s free agent class. It’s better to go draft or wait till next year when we can compete since we’re not expected to this year anyway.

However, I’m not ok with ignoring the offensive line other than a couple career backups from other teams. The O-line can’t usually be built in 1 off-season. We need to start protecting fields, starting today, both for his development for the coming years and before we have an Andrew Luck type situation. Lucas/Bates are not cutting it. If there’s anywhere we need to spend, it has to be O-line. This year. And then again next year. And then again the year after that.
There’s no one to spend it on. Hasn’t been anyone really. most of the top OTs re-signed with their current teams. Because teams don’t let good OL talent hit FA.

The best of the rest was Armstead, who was overpriced and never able to stay healthy. Pretty sure it doesn’t help Fields if your LT is out 1/3 to 1/2 the season…

WestsideResider

Bro idk
Liked Posts:
if this is correct we paid 6mill for Pringle for 1 year and the Chiefs paid 3.25mill for JuJu for 1 year.....they must see Pringle as ascending and a better contributor or his special teams must be amazing ....or did they overpay?

the WR prospects at this point look like the chicks at closing time at a bar in Green Bay
Juju is obviously taking less to play on a contending team with Mahomes

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
All those people: "If the Chiefs let Pringles go they must think he is bad."

Are gonna be very quiet now with Hill getting traded, lol.
Not the same in the least bit. Getting traded for what Hill hauled in is not the same as letting a player go via free agency for nothing.

If Pringle had outperformed his contract and was going to be worth more than KC could've paid him they would've traded him last year for picks instead of letting him walk.

We've seen WRs outperform their original teams' budgets a lot in recent years and none let them walk for nothing: Stefon Diggs, Deandre Hopkins, Davante Adams and now Hill all traded for picks because their original teams couldn't afford them.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Not the same in the least bit. Getting traded for what Hill hauled in is not the same as letting a player go via free agency for nothing.

If Pringle had outperformed his contract and was going to be worth more than KC could've paid him they would've traded him last year for picks instead of letting him walk.

We've seen WRs outperform their original teams' budgets a lot in recent years and none let them walk for nothing: Stefon Diggs, Deandre Hopkins, Davante Adams and now Hill all traded for picks because their original teams couldn't afford them.

Sometimes, the simplest answer is the correct one.

When the Chiefs let Pringle go, they didn't know they wouldn't be able to get a deal done with Hill. All reports were that this is what the Chiefs thought up until 2 days before the trade.

Not that Pringle is a replacement, but at the bare minimum, he's depth that knows the system. I bet Pringle would have been retained if the Chiefs knew from the beginning.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
Sometimes, the simplest answer is the correct one.

When the Chiefs let Pringle go, they didn't know they wouldn't be able to get a deal done with Hill. All reports were that this is what the Chiefs thought up until 2 days before the trade.

Not that Pringle is a replacement, but at the bare minimum, he's depth that knows the system. I bet Pringle would have been retained if the Chiefs knew from the beginning.
Or, the simplest answer is KC felt Pringle was expendable and easily replaced.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I am thoroughly enjoying all the people freaking out over Poles building the team the right way and not screwing over cap management. People didn't learn from Pace at all.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
he settled on them because the draft is strong with WR and thats the only way youre gonna find a "difference" maker this season
Pringles may be more than that and turn out to be solid in the slot. I agree he's #3 at best if the draft works out. I expect we draft someone like Christian Watson or George Pickens to project as the #1. One should be left at 39 but it's not assured,:(

Last edited: