Polian on the cost of JG today

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I agree! Because I don't think the Patriots would be dumb enough to franchise tag him...your scenario has the Pats franchise tagging him, Garoppolo refusing to sign the franchise tag, and then subsequently being traded to a new team and working out a long-term deal.

My scenario makes sense! Yours fails every step of the way!

No you are being stupid. My scenario is that the Pats franchise tag him, he accepts, and then he is traded to a new team and at that point he signs a long term deal.

There were posters saying he wouldn't sign a long term deal with his new team because he could just play under the franchise tag. When I said he would be stupid to play under the franchise tag, it was in relation to that point.

You are stupidly pretending like it was a comment about him refusing the Pats franchise tag.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This makes no sense.

*He doesn't have to sign a long term deal.
*If he doesn't want to play on the terms of his 1-year franchise tag deal, then he essentially 'retires' for one year, makes no money, and is a free agent the following year.

So the posters are right in that JG is under no obligation to sign a long term deal. You are wrong by saying it would be 'stupid' for JG to play under the franchise tag, because the only alternative is to give back the $25M and make $0.

Not sure what is going on here. Still.

The best is not only would this net JG $0 it would also net Agent Remy $0 as he would not make commission off of JG that season. So as JG's agent it would be career suicide.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Because he cares more about winning the Super Bowl. Having JG at 1.1 million next year as insurance is more valuable in the event Brady does down. Unless of course, JG isn't as good as he is being hyped up to be which if that is the case then by all means he should trade him now to a sucker. That's kind of the point. If BB truly believed JG was franchise QB worthy then I think he holds onto him this year and takes his chances on being able to flip him next year. If he doesn't then he tries to trade him now and hope he can get more value out of him than is warranted.
It comes down to how many years TB has left in him. If you think he only has 1 year left he will keep JG.

And it has nothing to do with if BB thinks JG is a franchise QB. You are comparing that to the best QB in NFL history. I don't think any of the JG fanclub thinks he is better then TB. That is rediculous..

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This makes no sense.

*He doesn't have to sign a long term deal.
*If he doesn't want to play on the terms of his 1-year franchise tag deal, then he essentially 'retires' for one year, makes no money, and is a free agent the following year.

So the posters are right in that JG is under no obligation to sign a long term deal. You are wrong by saying it would be 'stupid' for JG to play under the franchise tag, because the only alternative is to give back the $25M and make $0.

Not sure what is going on here. Still.

We all know he isn't obligated. I don't think this scenario happens because I don't think anyone trades for him without knowing what he wants for a long term deal. Like this isn't that complicated. He would sign a long term deal because the team trading for him would know what his asking price is and would feel confident of being able to work out a deal. Otherwise, they wouldn't be trading for him. Duh!

Further, if you actually sat out a year without playing then you don't accrue a year of service so he would be subject to the franchise tag again and it wouldn't count as a second franchise tag since he never accrued the service year. So that option is fucking stupid.

He would sign a long term deal. Not sure why people think otherwise.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
BB also wouldn't have leaked shit to test the market if he had no interest in trading him.

bufordht

Liked Posts:
What was this thread about again?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Really? Cite?

http://sportsagentblog.com/2016/02/24/explaining-the-nfls-franchise-tag-and-identifying-candidates/

The last day a franchised player can sign his tender is the Tuesday following the tenth week of the regular season. If he does not accept the tag by this date, he will not be eligible to play in the NFL until the following league year. This would be extremely detrimental to a player because he would not accrue a season towards free agent and would be eligible to receive the tag again as if it was his first time.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
http://sportsagentblog.com/2016/02/24/explaining-the-nfls-franchise-tag-and-identifying-candidates/

The last day a franchised player can sign his tender is the Tuesday following the tenth week of the regular season. If he does not accept the tag by this date, he will not be eligible to play in the NFL until the following league year. This would be extremely detrimental to a player because he would not accrue a season towards free agent and would be eligible to receive the tag again as if it was his first time.

remydat said:
JG's agent would be stupid to let JG play under the franchise tag

So this statement of yours just got even more Special person and awful.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So this statement of yours just got even more Special person and awful.

No you just left off the rest of the statement.

JG's agent would be stupid to let JG play under the franchise tag given the uncertainty around whether he is actually a good QB or not and this is without considering the fact said agent would be passing on the commissions he would get from a long term deal.

Like how disingenuous can you guys get. The comment is saying it would be stupid for his agent to let JG play under the franchise tag instead of accepting a long term deal.

Like maybe this is hard for you and Rory to understand but people form sentences so that you can read the entire sentence for context. Anyone reading the entire sentence that thinks I am talking about sitting the entire year is a fucking moron or just trolling. I'll leave it up to people to decide which you fall under.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
No you just left off the rest of the statement.
The rest of your statement is irrelevant. JG's agent would be an idiot to advise him to not play under the tag regardless of circumstances.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
This is what happens when you put the most argumentative people on the same message board with different opinions...

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The rest of your statement is irrelevant. JG's agent would be an idiot to advise him to not play under the tag regardless of circumstances.

Lol, there is no post from me where I said the above, you are full of shit. His agent should get him to sign a long term. To say he should play under the tag if he gets 45 million guaranteed is moronic.

This is what happens when you put the most argumentative people on the same message board with different opinions...

Particularly when one side literally makes up statements that the other side never said and then argues against them.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Lol, there is no post from me where I said the above.

remydat said:
JG's agent would be stupid to let JG play under the franchise tag given the uncertainty around whether he is actually a good QB or not and this is without considering the fact said agent would be passing on the commissions he would get from a long term deal

Your above statement was Special person. It became even more Special person once it was found out that his agent advising JG to not play while under the tag would also kill JG getting a year of service time and getting a year closer to a second contract.

I repeat:
JG's agent would be an idiot to advise him to not play under the tag regardless of circumstances.

You can keep trying to squirm out from under your stupid bullshit but you've yet again dug your own grave on this one. I'll just keep reposting the above to make you look like an ass. Have fun squirming but the above is all you're going to see now.

Ctrl+C....Crt+V awaits.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Again your argument is stupid. The statement is making a comparison between playing under the tag and accepting a long term deal.

JG's agent would be stupid to let JG play under the franchise tag given the uncertainty around whether he is actually a good QB or not and this is without considering the fact said agent would be passing on the commissions he would get from a long term deal.

You have literally ignored the comparison and pretended like I was saying his agent should advise him to sit. No his agent should advise him to sign a long term deal. You are trying to blame me because you can't read and created a ridiculous strawman.

straw-man.gif

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
55457493.jpg

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Again your argument is stupid. The statement is making a comparison between playing under the tag and accepting a long term deal.

You have literally ignored the comparison and pretended like I was saying his agent should advise him to sit. No his agent should advise him to sign a long term deal. You are trying to blame me because you can't read and created a ridiculous strawman.

straw-man.gif

Ahh yes, the magical "long term" contract that magically appears out of nowhere. So in your scenario, it's March 12 2018. NE has just franchised tagged JG for 25 mil. He now makes 3 mill more than Tom Brady, (but hey, Tom won't care, right?) and spent the last year holding a clipboard and saw very limited playing time with the exception of pre-season.

Meanwhile a bottom feeding team is hungry for a QB.

But, available notable FA options this year are Matt Stafford, Kirk Cousins, Sam Bradford, not to mention any 2nd string QB's that filled in (during 2017) for a starting QB that went down to injury and played very well, becoming the next "hot item". Also the draft looks pretty strong at qb too.....

Just what kind of "long term" contract do you think JG will get? It has to be at least 40 mill guaranteed for it to even begin to make any sense (remember he as already signed his tender, he is guaranteed 25 mil (for ONE FUCKING YEAR).

And if a trade partner can be found, just exactly what compensation would you expect them to trade to NE, considering they will have to pay this "long term contract" as well? You have just pissed away JG's 2017 year that payed him a mere 1.1 mil so you lost that crucial year to defer a significant portion of the signing bonus.

NE would be lucky to get a 5th rounder under your idiotic scenario. And if no suitors came calling, NE would be on the hook for JG at 25 mil and TB at 22.

Fucking brilliant!

latest

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
Dont you guys have something better to do like masturbate or something than argue about this IMO basically inane argument.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Ahh yes, the magical "long term" contract that magically appears out of nowhere. So in your scenario, it's March 12 2018. NE has just franchised tagged JG for 25 mil. He now makes 3 mill more than Tom Brady, (but hey, Tom won't care, right?) and spent the last year holding a clipboard and saw very limited playing time with the exception of pre-season.

Meanwhile a bottom feeding team is hungry for a QB.

But, available notable FA options this year are Matt Stafford, Kirk Cousins, Sam Bradford, not to mention any 2nd string QB's that filled in (during 2017) for a starting QB that went down to injury and played very well, becoming the next "hot item". Also the draft looks pretty strong at qb too.....

Just what kind of "long term" contract do you think JG will get? It has to be at least 40 mill guaranteed for it to even begin to make any sense (remember he as already signed his tender, he is guaranteed 25 mil (for ONE FUCKING YEAR).

And if a trade partner can be found, just exactly what compensation would you expect them to trade to NE, considering they will have to pay this "long term contract" as well? You have just pissed away JG's 2017 year that payed him a mere 1.1 mil so you lost that crucial year to defer a significant portion of the signing bonus.

NE would be lucky to get a 5th rounder under your idiotic scenario. And if no suitors came calling, NE would be on the hook for JG at 25 mil and TB at 22.

Fucking brilliant!

latest

I operate on the assumption that most good QBs aren't on the market because teams don't let them get to FA. We saw that this year with Cousins getting the tag. So all you have done is come up with a hypothetical that I fundamentally think is bullshit. I don't think Cousins or Stafford would be available and Bradford is fucking terrible. I also don't know who these mystery QBs will be next year.

You are literally introducing more unknown parameters into the equation and pretending like they are facts.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
This is usually what goes on in a Remy argument thread eventually....
It comes from the same mind that gave us...
Fundamentals are worked on in practice and the offseason not in games. Repetition is the key and Trubisky had 3 years of largely uninterrupted repetition. By contrast, Watson was constantly practicing and then playing, practicing and then playing so it's easier to have stretches during that time period where you lose your fundamentals.