Pompei on the Score about HC

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I'm not sure about McDaniels. All reports said that he was a complete asshole as a Head Coach. But then he failed. So a humble man would reflect and look inward at what went wrong, and then change himself for the better. Has he? No fucking clue. :D

I think at this point, I'm highest on Shurmur and Nagy.

Luke

Liked Posts:
The thing with the flip is he's out of contract once the Eagles are done.

His head coaching availability may be overblown. Some of these solicitations for head coach also be a way of getting a jump on hiring him as an offensive coordinator, if the head coach is on board.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

that makes the most sense to me.

The Eagles blocked QB coach John DeFilippo from interviewing for the New York Jets OC job earlier this month.
Jeff Kerr - Jan 28, 2017

Earlier in January, the Philadelphia Eagles blocked quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo from interviewing for the New York Jets offensive coordinator position.

Teams have been accustomed to do this over time, so the decision wasn't a shocking one.

According to a report from Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer, Eagles general manager Howie Roseman and head coach Doug Pederson promised DeFilippo if he had an offer to become an offensive coordinator the pair wouldn't stand in his way. Roseman and DeFilippo stayed true to their word, but owner Jeffrey Lurie vetoed the bill and denied the request.

Lurie is "obsessed" with the development of Carson Wentz, making sure the second-year quarterback has all the resources necessary to succeed in the NFL. That includes the retaining of DeFilippo.

The next step in Lurie's process? Acquiring multiple playmaking wide receivers to help take Wentz's game to the next level.

DeFilippo has one year left on his contract and could be a prime candidate for offensive coordinator jobs in 2018 should Wentz continue to show significant progress.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
McD made Orton & Bradford look fantastic, it was not just Brady. The guy is creative as shit, give him credit for that. Learning to be a HC, that is the appropriate question.

Orton had a slightly better rating over 12 games with Buffalo, 88 vs 87 rating at Denver and Bradford had his worst year by far with McD. Orton was what he was by that point and 87 isn't 'fantastic', it's Jay Cutler. There may be reasons beyond McD for this but your statement is patently false.

Ditka19861

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I like the idea of a changed McDaniels... IF he has changed. I have to give him credit that the first thing he wanted to do was get Cutler out of town. He saw that through the pro-bowl year Cutler had. If he has changed and presents humility and leadership by example and not by force, I wouldn't be against it. Belichick didn't fare so well in Cleveland, before figuring it out in NE (having the greatest QB ever helps). I hope Pace gets his coach to pair with his QB. Some prolonged continuity would be great around Halas Hall.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I am willing to take the risk on McDaniels.

There are very few "special" coaches in the NFL who really scheme their way past their opponent. Belicheck #1, then maybe Carroll, Tomlin and Payton.

Its a handful of guys that are just that much football smarter than the rest.

This is the kind of coach you need to win. New England didn't have the most talented team several times they won the superbowl, they just out coached the other team.

McDaniels is the only guy right now with that type of talent. Nothing special about Shurmur and Patricia. Nagy is very unproven long term.

The personality issue is huge with McDaniels, I won't deny it. Trestman was an absolute failure in the NFL and it wasn't due to football IQ.

Don't be surprised when Pace pulls the trigger as fast as possible on McDaniels. I would have no doubt that McDaniels has been Pace's #1 target since last season when he added Trubisky, along with Shaheen and Cohen to try and bring the Patriots offense to Chicago.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
Thank God you are not the GM

yeah we should hire a guy who called plays for a QB who was going to be good anyway because he "developed" him....BS

Matt Patricia is the biggest brain in the FA coaching pool and anybody who knows the league is aware of this

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
guess what happened to the patriots offense when mcdaniels was in Denver the 2nd year? They finished number one in points scored

of course he's amazing because he sends the plays in to a hof qb

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
I like the idea of a changed McDaniels... IF he has changed. I have to give him credit that the first thing he wanted to do was get Cutler out of town. He saw that through the pro-bowl year Cutler had. If he has changed and presents humility and leadership by example and not by force, I wouldn't be against it. Belichick didn't fare so well in Cleveland, before figuring it out in NE (having the greatest QB ever helps). I hope Pace gets his coach to pair with his QB. Some prolonged continuity would be great around Halas Hall.

You're right. McDaniels was the smartest guy in the room when it came to Cutler. We should all remember that.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Regarding McDaniels...People don't change mid life. If you are an asshole at 32, then you will be an asshole at 41.

Mostly true but:
1. Most people don’t work for the nfl
2. Most people aren’t public figures
3. Most people don’t experience constant success until a huge failure at the age of 32.
4. When most people get fired they don’t get articles written about it, nor do they get public interviews with former employees/co workers.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
I'm not sure if you are kidding about Romo, but he does know his shit.

I'm not kidding one bit...have you watched him do a broadcast, he correctly predicts the play nearly every time, this way you have the genius HC on D and a really smart former QB who can help the kid grow....but yeah...thank God I'm not the GM....from the apes here who want the flavor of the day who are mostly going to flame out within 3 years

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I'm not kidding one bit...have you watched him do a broadcast, he correctly predicts the play nearly every time, this way you have the genius HC on D and a really smart former QB who can help the kid grow....but yeah...thank God I'm not the GM....from the apes here who want the flavor of the day who are mostly going to flame out within 3 years

Romo is smart as all hell and would make a great OC if he ever went that route.

thenewguy

Liked Posts:
Regarding McDaniels...People don't change mid life. If you are an asshole at 32, then you will be an asshole at 41.

I couldn't disagree more. Professionally, most people grow the most in their 40's, let alone their 30's.

Highly successful people often reach their peak in their 50's. A lot of that has to do with learning to work with people and knowing what you don't know. It's pretty common for intelligent people to get a chip on their shoulder and think they know everything in their 20's and 30's.

But I do agree it's going to be difficult to know how much he has grown, it at all. Also, it's football. He just needs to get the respect of his players and have some success. Then you can still act like Jim Harbaugh on the sidelines and people don't care.

Reactions: DC

Uncle Zeek

Liked Posts:
McD made Orton & Bradford look fantastic, it was not just Brady. The guy is creative as shit, give him credit for that. Learning to be a HC, that is the appropriate question.
Fantastic???

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
McD has the best offensive brain of available coaches. He would be removed from drafting and FA pickups and trades.

The big question is his maturity and ability to lead people.

The last part makes me nervous.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Jack Lame

Liked Posts:
McD has the best offensive brain of available coaches. He would be removed from drafting and FA pickups and trades.

The big question is his maturity and ability to lead people.

The last part makes me nervous.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Yeah, I do think head coaching candidates need to give up the idea of "full power". That's not the trend now in the NFL....it's moving towards a GM driven model. All the open jobs(except maybe Oakland who will give the keys to Gruden) have a GM in place that isn't giving up power.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I couldn't disagree more. Professionally, most people grow the most in their 40's, let alone their 30's.

Highly successful people often reach their peak in their 50's. A lot of that has to do with learning to work with people and knowing what you don't know. It's pretty common for intelligent people to get a chip on their shoulder and think they know everything in their 20's and 30's.

But I do agree it's going to be difficult to know how much he has grown, it at all. Also, it's football. He just needs to get the respect of his players and have some success. Then you can still act like Jim Harbaugh on the sidelines and people don't care.

This +10000 I agree 1000% people DO make change on their lives, dramatically between 30s and 40s, and I have personally experienced this second-hand as my real paternal biological father went from disappearing from my life in his 30s to now just weeks ago taking me ice-fishing and making efforts to try to heal our relationship in December, now in his 40s, and Josh McDaniels has even more motivation to better himself and how he approaches relationships because we are talking about being in charge of and mentoring a whole professional football team with millions of contract job dollars at stake here!