Pro Football Weekley Ranks the HC Jobs

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
All of those QB's have won SB's or should have won it (Ryan). Even the "lowly incompetent Bears" have played in two Championships and a SB recently.

True, none of which has anything to do with the post I made, which was purely to the age of Stafford, nothing else. Everyone of those guys, at an advanced age, is in the playoffs, with the exception of Rodgers.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Hotwheelz24

They See Me Rollin'
Liked Posts:
Bears have a stigma associated with them because of ownership. They should be ranked right where they are. Any good HC is gonna interview with the Bears and then politely decline any offer. NFL is a pretty close knit community so word gets around fast. Any of the good HCs are gonna want more control than Ted and George will be willing to sacrifice.

I strongly disagree with this. First off...why would someone interview with the Bears if they've already made up their mind to decline? Just for fun? Are they bored? That's like saying you would go on a date with someone you have zero interest in just so at the end of the night you can tell them "sorry but not interested".

Second...What control are you referring to? Have the owners held ANY of our coaches back? I'm not asking to be a dick, but I would like to know what you mean exactly. As far as I know Fox, Trestman, Lovie, etc. have all been allowed to handle the team the way they see fit. The only example I can imagine relates to GM where George and/or Ted may have pushed Fox on Pace but even then our GM's have been allowed to spend freely.

I think some people are putting too much stock into this idea that candidates will be so turned off by ownership. I believe the things that matter most and above all else are...
1) Who is the GM & what relationship will you have with them. i.e. Player signings, drafting, approach to free agents, etc.
2) What the QB situation is. I honestly believe Trubisky is someone most would be very excited to work with who has huge potential.

I believe the Bears should be a top ranking. Giants may have a high pick, but the QB's in the draft are underwhelming. Andrew Luck is a HUGE question mark with the Colts and his future. Cardinals have nothing at QB and again, not much hope in drafting someone. Best hope is to land a big name free agent but you can't accept a HC job with the "hope" or "assumption" that you'll be able to do this. If anything I would argue maybe the Lions would be ranked ahead of the Bears because they do have the QB and a decent roster in place. A few pieces on defense and they could easily get back in the playoffs.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I strongly disagree with this. First off...why would someone interview with the Bears if they've already made up their mind to decline? Just for fun? Are they bored? That's like saying you would go on a date with someone you have zero interest in just so at the end of the night you can tell them "sorry but not interested".

Second...What control are you referring to? Have the owners held ANY of our coaches back? I'm not asking to be a dick, but I would like to know what you mean exactly. As far as I know Fox, Trestman, Lovie, etc. have all been allowed to handle the team the way they see fit. The only example I can imagine relates to GM where George and/or Ted may have pushed Fox on Pace but even then our GM's have been allowed to spend freely.

I think some people are putting too much stock into this idea that candidates will be so turned off by ownership. I believe the things that matter most and above all else are...
1) Who is the GM & what relationship will you have with them. i.e. Player signings, drafting, approach to free agents, etc.
2) What the QB situation is. I honestly believe Trubisky is someone most would be very excited to work with who has huge potential.

I believe the Bears should be a top ranking. Giants may have a high pick, but the QB's in the draft are underwhelming. Andrew Luck is a HUGE question mark with the Colts and his future. Cardinals have nothing at QB and again, not much hope in drafting someone. Best hope is to land a big name free agent but you can't accept a HC job with the "hope" or "assumption" that you'll be able to do this. If anything I would argue maybe the Lions would be ranked ahead of the Bears because they do have the QB and a decent roster in place. A few pieces on defense and they could easily get back in the playoffs.

First of all, any HC gig is coveted. I highly doubt any of these would turn down the Bears if it was their only offer. The problem is when a coach is offered a job by mulitple teams, then the preferred list comes into play. If Shurmur is the HC Pace wants (or just name one) and Shurmur is offered a job by 2-3 of these teams, he has to make a choice. Which one would he choose? That being said, it is Naive to think each candidate would Have his personal list identical to all the other candidates.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Question. Does Mitch get that same privilege?

If he gets injured and misses 13 games next year, yes (2010). Pinning a 4 win season on a QB that played in only the first three games is a little much, don't you think? 2009 he played in only 10 games (again injury) and was a rookie going to a 0-16 team. I can't pin Mike Glennon's loss's on Mitch, can I?

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If he gets injured and misses 13 games next year, yes (2010). Pinning a 4 win season on a QB that played in only the first three games is a little much, don't you think? 2009 he played in only 10 games (again injury) and was a rookie going to a 0-16 team. I can't pin Mike Glennon's loss's on Mitch, can I?

Fair enough. I thought you were going a different direction there based on team rebuilding but injury is also a fair logical leap.

MakeMyDay

VISIONARY
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oh but the Raiders are 3rd best

- Even though the owner with a bowl haircut just fired the coach on his way out of the tunnel at the end of the last game of the season.

and an away game at that...LOL

Yea everyone would love to work for a team who has shorted the salary of every coach that has ever worked for them

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Oh but the Raiders are 3rd best

- Even though the owner with a bowl haircut just fired the coach on his way out of the tunnel at the end of the last game of the season.

and an away game at that...LOL

Yea everyone would love to work for a team who has shorted the salary of every coach that has ever worked for them

Shorted? NFL HC contracts are guaranteed. Del Rio is going to be paid to sit on his ass. They ate like 3 years on his contract to fire him. Presumably for Gruden.

Bears_804

Liked Posts:
Shorted? NFL HC contracts are guaranteed. Del Rio is going to be paid to sit on his ass. They ate like 3 years on his contract to fire him. Presumably for Gruden.
I wish I could get fired like Del Rio. Man's getting paid more to be terminated than I'll have in a lifetime.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I wish I could get fired like Del Rio. Man's getting paid more to be terminated than I'll have in a lifetime.

No shit. Its even more of a joke because isn't that Del Rio's first losing season with the Raiders? I felt bad he was fired when it was his childhood team and his dream job. He bled Raider silver and black. But he gets to rub millions in that pain and wipe away the tears with hunnits.

MakeMyDay

VISIONARY
Donator
Liked Posts:

They may have been guaranteed but old AL would find a way to short them if he wanted to got rid of them early...Its been a known thing about the Raiders since Shannahan was there. At least I thought it was common knowledge??

Why do you think Sean Payton turned down that job a season before he went to the Saints? Rumor was he didn't want to deal with Al Davis management...

Anyway Here you go -

Davis has a history of financial disputes with his head coaches dating back to Mike Shanahan. The NFL has had to help settle financial disputes with four of Davis' past five head coaches, according to a source.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=6027281

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They may have been guaranteed but old AL would find a way to short them if he wanted to got rid of them early...Its been a known thing about the Raiders since Shannahan was there. At least I thought it was common knowledge??

Why do you think Sean Payton turned down that job a season before he went to the Saints? Rumor was he didn't want to deal with Al Davis management...

Anyway Here you go -

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=6027281

Nope, didn't know about that crap with the Raiders. Then again I am not surprised by it. A team owner can try to "prove" the coach breached the contract to not pay up but that is the only way they can get away with it. Aside from offset language to recoup money paid by a new coaching gig towards what was owed.

Mjiton

Liked Posts:
Seems like the Raiders shouldn't be on that list. They already have Gruden for HC.
I know it's not official. But that's just a formality. Gruden saying "I think the Raiders are interested in me." Is a leak to let ppl know where he is going, soon as the Rooney rule is covered and the air of a "search" has been made. Like when a Presidential candidate says "I am thinking about running" so there supporters can start stuffing money into Super PACs before the declaration initiates a donation limit.

At this point it would be shocking if the Raiders went another direction.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Seems like the Raiders shouldn't be on that list. They already have Gruden for HC.
I know it's not official. But that's just a formality. Gruden saying "I think the Raiders are interested in me." Is a leak to let ppl know where he is going, soon as the Rooney rule is covered and the air of a "search" has been made. Like when a Presidential candidate says "I am thinking about running" so there supporters can start stuffing money into Super PACs before the declaration initiates a donation limit.

At this point it would be shocking if the Raiders went another direction.

The thing is that the Raiders already fucked themselves by stating their intentions plainly. They said they would only fire Del Rio if Gruden came over. Del Rio was fired. No dots even need be connected. They never had any intention of following the Rooney rule. The SJWs are going to have a field day with this shit. I am just waiting for it at this point.

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
Just wondering what Chris Ballard has done to be considered a gem? Serious question, not one that's meant to be Pace vs. Ballard. I'm just very curious as to why he's considered a gem and what he's done to merit that?

MakeMyDay

VISIONARY
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nope, didn't know about that crap with the Raiders. Then again I am not surprised by it. A team owner can try to "prove" the coach breached the contract to not pay up but that is the only way they can get away with it. Aside from offset language to recoup money paid by a new coaching gig towards what was owed.

Putting the money piece aside - My point still stands that the Raiders have been and still are a classless organization - Look how Jack Del Rio was treated - I always looked at him as a stand up solid honorable guy -

Mark Davis fires him on the road - at the away stadium and then announces it in the news...Jack Del Rio can't even formulate a statement to the team.
How classless and unprofessional ..

As douche baggish as Emery, Trestman, Kromer debacle was and everyone wished they would have just locked them out - at least Bears management treated those guys with some dignity, which most teams would do also...

Just trying to make a point that no way the Raiders are 3rd best-

MakeMyDay

VISIONARY
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just wondering what Chris Ballard has done to be considered a gem? Serious question, not one that's meant to be Pace vs. Ballard. I'm just very curious as to why he's considered a gem and what he's done to merit that?

I have no idea - I think our core team is young and ready to ascend and I look at the Colts and don't see anything other than hopes that Luck will be OK-

I don't get it either-

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Putting the money piece aside - My point still stands that the Raiders have been and still are a classless organization - Look how Jack Del Rio was treated - I always looked at him as a stand up solid honorable guy -

Mark Davis fires him on the road - at the away stadium and then announces it in the news...Jack Del Rio can't even formulate a statement to the team.
How classless and unprofessional ..

As douche baggish as Emery, Trestman, Kromer debacle was and everyone wished they would have just locked them out - at least Bears management treated those guys with some dignity, which most teams would do also...

Just trying to make a point that no way the Raiders are 3rd best-

Oh I am not defending their actions at all. The Raiders have long been a bunch of assholes from ownership on down. I honestly hope that Gruden bent them over and rammed it right up their asses with his demands to coach for them. With that history of shit, not a chance in hell I would touch that organization unless I had 100% assured ownership stake in the franchise.

Mjiton

Liked Posts:
I have no idea - I think our core team is young and ready to ascend and I look at the Colts and don't see anything other than hopes that Luck will be OK-

I don't get it either-

Those rankings are all about QBs. Everything else is just dressing.
I am willing to bet candidates are weighing other things more heavily than those rankings give credit.
Like how much power will they be allowed.
Are the owners/CEOs hands off or fingers in every pie.
GM situations.
And some candidates would take anything just to be a HC.