Pump the brakes: It makes sense that Wilson stays in Seattle.

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Try to remain rational and have a discussion.

It seems the Seahawks can restructure Wilson's contract, without his approval, to make cap room and add offensive linemen, which should be available given the reduced cap for all teams. (Buyer's market.)

Also, they would put themselves in cap hell if they traded before Jun 1st.

Meat and potatoes of the article below.

If the Seahawks were to trade Wilson now,, before June 1, they would realize an accelerated cap hit of $39 million for 2021. That’s untenable for Seattle; such a move would cost the team nearly 25% of its entire salary cap of $182.5 million for this year.

Not to mention it would leave the Seahawks without Russell Wilson.

If they traded him after June 1, their cap acceleration charge would go down to $13 million. However, that late into the summer, teams don’t want to acquire a franchise quarterback and all the costs that go with one. And, again, the Seahawks would still be without Wilson or any other starter at the sport’s most vital position—only then it would be far closer to the start of the regular season.

If Wilson’s base salary gets restructured this spring into bonus money to clear more cap space this year, his cap charges would go up for 2022 and ‘23, by the amount of salary restructured. That means a trade after a restructure would result in a cap acceleration charge for Seattle that’s even more than $39 million.

So one way to look at this is: if the Seahawks restructure Wilson’s deal to gain more buying power in free agency this month, that would further cement that they aren’t trading him.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
the NFL is becoming a player’s league more and more each offseason. just because Seattle may, or may not, want to keep him does not mean Russ wants to be there. Is it really unreasonable to think a QB of his caliber would want to play in an offense that high lights his ability instead of complimenting a run game?

Canth

Liked Posts:
From Seattle's perspective, it certainly makes more sense to create the cap space and build around your franchise qb rather than trade him away with no feasible back-up plan in place for even a starting caliber qb.

ChiGuy

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
We’re in lying season, so who knows what to believe.

But if those that say Wilson isn’t happy and doesn’t want to be there, are right, does any of the aforementioned make a difference to him? Unlikely.

Hopefully there will be answers from a Bears’ perspective soon. Feels like everything is on hold until we have a QB.

Canth

Liked Posts:
the NFL is becoming a player’s league more and more each offseason. just because Seattle may, or may not, want to keep him does not mean Russ wants to be there. Is it really unreasonable to think a QB of his caliber would want to play in an offense that high lights his ability instead of complimenting a run game?

If they create cap space and go get him protection in the form of upgrades to the offensive line, they already have a couple of good wr's, Seattle is a really neat city...I could see Wilson being willing to not force the issue at that point and stick with them.

ChiGuy

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Are we talking about Matt Nagy's offense?
Let’s be honest, if Wilson or someone of that ilk came to Chicago, it’s going to be their offense.

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If they create cap space and go get him protection in the form of upgrades to the offensive line, they already have a couple of good wr's, Seattle is a really neat city...I could see Wilson being willing to not force the issue at that point and stick with them.

Yep.

I don't think Wilson has demanded a trade. I don't think he's the type of guy to sit out a season or anything like that. He's reasonable. If Seattle clears the cap space for o-lineman....him and Pete Carroll will work this out.

ChiGuy

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
We heard all last year how Nagy cannot adjust to his player's strengths - has that changed?
No player on that side of the ball can call shots, is what I mean. Mitch bitched about it and we saw Foles remonstrating with Nagy on the sidelines, but if it’s Wilson, isn’t that a different story?

Look, I’m not saying it’s going to happen or not going to happen. I don’t know. But IF it does happen, Wilson is walking into a situation where he holds more weight than most.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Oh well, maybe KC will trade Mahomes then.

@Chicoman start a thread for that please...LOL

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
We heard all last year how Nagy is stubborn and cannot adjust to his player's strengths - has that changed?
Incorrect. Nagy ran two different styles last year with Mitch and Foles. Nagy has a plethora of flaws but he did adjust to his QBs, problem is they're garbage

Seattle has had several chances to upgrade their OL and have either ignored the opportunity or picked awful players. Just last year they traded a 1st fir a safety and it did nothing for them

As far as the hit they'll take im sure that can be worked out in negotiations

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
It’s obvious the Seattle has nothing to gain from the trade, especially a trade with Chicago. It’s the offseason. The writers and fans need something to talk about even if it’s meaningless.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
It’s obvious the Seattle has nothing to gain from the trade, especially a trade with Chicago. It’s the offseason. The writers and fans need something to talk about even if it’s meaningless.
this would make sense if russ hadn’t given a list of teams he would accept to, to adam schefter. there’s legit issues in seattle between Russ and the Carroll’s

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

Try to remain rational and have a discussion.

It seems the Seahawks can restructure Wilson's contract, without his approval, to make cap room and add offensive linemen, which should be available given the reduced cap for all teams. (Buyer's market.)

Also, they would put themselves in cap hell if they traded before Jun 1st.

Meat and potatoes of the article below.

If the Seahawks were to trade Wilson now,, before June 1, they would realize an accelerated cap hit of $39 million for 2021. That’s untenable for Seattle; such a move would cost the team nearly 25% of its entire salary cap of $182.5 million for this year.

Not to mention it would leave the Seahawks without Russell Wilson.

If they traded him after June 1, their cap acceleration charge would go down to $13 million. However, that late into the summer, teams don’t want to acquire a franchise quarterback and all the costs that go with one. And, again, the Seahawks would still be without Wilson or any other starter at the sport’s most vital position—only then it would be far closer to the start of the regular season.

If Wilson’s base salary gets restructured this spring into bonus money to clear more cap space this year, his cap charges would go up for 2022 and ‘23, by the amount of salary restructured. That means a trade after a restructure would result in a cap acceleration charge for Seattle that’s even more than $39 million.

So one way to look at this is: if the Seahawks restructure Wilson’s deal to gain more buying power in free agency this month, that would further cement that they aren’t trading him.

God, you are so desperate....

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
this would make sense if russ hadn’t given a list of teams he would accept to, to adam schefter. there’s legit issues in seattle between Russ and the Carroll’s

Yup.

I get that there are bloggers and beat writers in Seattle who realize just how insane it is to trade a franchise quarterback, and are essentially pleading with them not to do it.

But they aren't in the locker room, and have 0 input on the situation.

Ultimately Russ may not be traded.

But that doesn't mean Seattle never was.

Seems like the Bears have made an offer that was good enough to leave Wilson off the season ticket holders' letter...