Quenton Nelson, Notre Dame

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
No matter what I am bringing Sitton to camp. We won't need the space and way too many question marks on the interior.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I can't possibly overstate this though, Harry Hiestand knows what he is doing. I have complete faith in his judgement and I know for a fact he will impart his opinion upon Pace.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I'd be open to having our new o-line coach get with K.Long and seeing if Long can play RT and replacing Massie with Long if he can. I know we tried K.Long at RT a couple of years ago and he wasn't great there (even though he made the pro bowl that year at RT) but the way he was put there with pretty much not giving Long any warning it was gonna happen had to be tough for him and of course without any time there he wasn't gonna be great from the get go. Maybe with a full offseason and training camp knowing he's gonna play RT will help him.

LT--C.Leno
LG--J.Sitton
C--C.Whitehair
RG--Q.Nelson
RT--K.Long

what would you guys think about playing K.Long at RT? Maybe keep B.Massie instead of cutting him or sign another decent player that can play RT. If he can play and can stay healthy that would be a really good o-line.

Kyle Long will be 30 years old next season he only has 3 maybe 4 years left in the league by the time he got a good understand of the tackle position he'd be gone keep him at guard. We should be building younger depth.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Once? I don't think you were paying attention to how many pancakes he was dishing out in that highlight reel alone. I also posted his PFF analysis which you're welcome to check for yourself as for his pass blocking grades. Nelson is a guy who wins the moment his mitts touch defenders.

he serves more pancakes than IHOP

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
I can't possibly overstate this though, Harry Hiestand knows what he is doing. I have complete faith in his judgement and I know for a fact he will impart his opinion upon Pace.

Just human nature that having Hiestand in the building makes Nelson more likely. We'll see how it pans out but I'd be totally on board with it.

I was listening to Tony Wise and he reckons he's only slightly behind Zach Martin coming out. And that's mainly to do with Martin's incredible competitive edge. Wise has seen Nelson a bunch as he still visits Hiestand a couple of times a year. FWIW.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Since this thread is about Quenton Nelson I am a bit confused by this question. As Nelson seemingly can transcend scheme. As he alluded to in the question bears26 posted when they asked him about how Heistand prepared him for the NFL. His answer was that Harry preached and taught fundamentals. So as for a guard, Nelson offers you anything you would possibly need out of a guard. His pass blocking is great, his run blocking is mauler style serving up pancakes galore. His pulling isn't as athletic as like a Kyle Long in my opinion but he's still good at it regardless of it looking slow.

My comment wasn't an implication that Nelson can't fit the new scheme, just an observation about how differently amateurs evaluate prospects than coaches/GMs.

Who cares?! He's a "mauler" and threw a guy down once!

But does he have a Matt Slauson-Viking tough guy-beard and go overboard with the war paint eyeblack? That's really the best measure of how beloved of a player he'll be in Chicago, regardless of talent.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Just human nature that having Hiestand in the building makes Nelson more likely. We'll see how it pans out but I'd be totally on board with it.

I was listening to Tony Wise and he reckons he's only slightly behind Zach Martin coming out. And that's mainly to do with Martin's incredible competitive edge. Wise has seen Nelson a bunch as he still visits Hiestand a couple of times a year. FWIW.

The deep personal connection can take a ton of the risk out of the draft.

It is why adding Hiestand and Helfrich interest me so much as both have incredible connection to players and coaches in college.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
The deep personal connection can take a ton of the risk out of the draft.

It is why adding Hiestand and Helfrich interest me so much as both have incredible connection to players and coaches in college.

It's a real side benefit of getting both these guys for sure. Hiestand will know everything about Nelson and McGlinchey and we should feel good if either are taken I think despite some concerns I have with McGlinchey (obvs not at 8).

Interested to see what impact Helfrich has on the draft too.

I really think they've crushed it so far. My biggest hope is that Nagy brings a sufficiently specific scheme that he can help Pace in free agency. Wilson being an obvious example.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
I think the wild card is how Long recovers from his surgeries. Neck surgery can be a tricky thing...I'm not saying he won't fully recover and be the same type of player at G, but its still an unknown.

Obviously, if he's not ready to go by the season, or if the medical personnel don't think he will ever regain his full physicality, then cutting Sitton doesn't make a lot of sense-even with his $8 mil contract. He's still playing at a high level.

Either way, I don't see Q. Nelson as being a "luxury pick." If Long is fine, we can cut Sitton and use the 8 mil towards an OLB, CB, or RT. If Long can't recover, pairing him with Sitton (for at least this year at least) would be nice.

Either way, I think its critical to establish a young, dominant O-line that can develop continuity, not just with each other, but with Mitch, as well.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Kyle Long will be 30 years old next season he only has 3 maybe 4 years left in the league by the time he got a good understand of the tackle position he'd be gone keep him at guard. We should be building younger depth.

He has played there before and OL guys often play into their mid 30s. That said, He may not fit as well there but it's not his age or learning curve.

jbunch14

Liked Posts:
Wouldn't mind this pick at #8 at all. The guy has all of the makings of a dominate OG in the NFL, and he seems very intelligent to boot. Fuck positional value. Give me a clean pocket for Mitch and gaping holes for Howard and Cohen.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
To those worrying about Nelson's mobility -

Zach Fulton started at RG for the KC Chiefs this year, is one of the least athletic O-lineman out there and had a very solid year under Reid and Nagy.

Nelson is plenty athletic enough to get the job done, he is probably an above average athlete at the position.

Also, sometimes it just pays to have a big, strong, mean SOB out there on your O-line anyway who just imposes there will. It sets a tempo and an attitude.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Nelson literally has hall of fame potential. The only question is the value of the position. Personally, I think you can make the argument that he has the highest upside and is the safest pick in the draft.

Hall of fame potential....wow. That's a lot to say about a college guard but i don't think anyone on here don't think he's gonna be great and is the safest pick in this draft. The question is more about drafting a guard at #8 when you already have two starting guards and a couple of guys who could start at guard if one of the two got hurt already on the roster, especially when we have much bigger needs at more then one other position and when there will be some great talent sitting there at those needed positions. Nelson will be a great one and can't say i'd be angry with the pick but no way am i drafting a guard at 8.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I'm the furthest thing from a Notre Dame fan, but I am Bears fan. I think Nelson could help the Bears, hence why I don't think taking him at #8 is such a bad thing.

But hey, if I ever need to stay overnight at the house of straw you're building in this post, I hope you'll accommodate me.

A Bears fan but no Bears picks under your avatar pic but all Redskins pics. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Josh2J

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nelson was recruited out of HS to play tackle, but was moved to Guard out of need/necessity. Wonder if he could transition to RT in the NFL? Which to me is the most immediate need on the OL

If Bears draft him as a guard would they still keep Sitton?