Rangers @ Blackhawks IGT 3/8 @ 6:30 p.m.

roshinaya

fnord
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Hawks have been a weird team this season, certain aspects have been good, other not so good. The offense struggling is rather odd, usually it's been pretty good these past years and the defense being dodgy. I wonder if they are just going through the motions until the real games begin.

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
The Hawks have been a weird team this season, certain aspects have been good, other not so good. The offense struggling is rather odd, usually it's been pretty good these past years and the defense being dodgy. I wonder if they are just going through the motions until the real games begin.

Not odd at all. The defense has been a train wreck this season when it comes to puck retrieval, winning battles, and breaking out of the zone. So, the offense has the puck a lot less, and are being forced to play a lot more defense. The transition game isn't what it was, and they are not breaking out of the zone as cleanly as the past. The first pass is crucial towards an offense's success, and the Hawks' D has been brutal all season in making those passes. The PP has also been absolute dogshit, which is where a talented team like the Hawks should shine. When you aren't scoring on the PP, it affects your even strength scoring as well. Teams aren't afraid to take penalties against you, because you aren't likely to make them pay for it. Coaching, line match ups, and line combinations have been shit most of the season too.

If you are watching most of the Hawks' games, the problems are glaringly obvious.

TCD

Liked Posts:
Hawks lead the league in shots for. And are around the 19th mark for shots against which isnt horrible but Is middle of the pack if you dont get hung up on .2 percentages and down on the rankings from previous seasons. Defense has slid a bit but i think people are blowing shit way out of proportion.

And puck possession hasnt been an issue. Accuracy has been as has shot selection and lack of bodies at goalies.

PP not included that has all been possession problems because they havent been able to get it with the other teams zone. Outside of it? Lots of possession lol.

Variable

Liked Posts:
Oduya has taken a huge step backward from the previous two seasons which is a big problem because he and Hammer were the best pure defensive pairing they had over those two seasons. Which allowed Keith and Seabs better match ups and offensive opportunities.

TCD

Liked Posts:
Ill agree with that variable but before i throw oduya to the wolves like others im willing to give him his playoff spotlight where he typically tightens his game up. In my opinion anyways as i know people are going to pin point previous playoff fuck ups by Oduya while passing on the good things he has done in the past. Is the nature of fandom as i do the same thing with saad when it comes to his playoff game. So i expect it.

But the reason i do it with saad is because i expect more and know he has the skill levels to give more. Like he did in the Kings series last year he shined and was at his best. The previous 2 series he wasnt playing to his strengths and abilities for what ever reasons. Perhaps it was the match ups perhaps it was coaching perhaps it was his own confidence? Who knows but when Saad plays to his strengths he is impactful when he doesnt he is mediocre. Saad cant be mediocre on this club anymore.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Ill agree with that variable but before i throw oduya to the wolves like others im willing to give him his playoff spotlight where he typically tightens his game up. In my opinion anyways as i know people are going to pin point previous playoff fuck ups by Oduya while passing on the good things he has done in the past. Is the nature of fandom as i do the same thing with saad when it comes to his playoff game. So i expect it.

I've got this feeling about pretty much the entire roster.

I still don't think anyone could convince me that this team is capable of finding another gear come April and making these regular season issues a distant memory.

[Edit] Except Roszival. He's just too old.

Last edited:

TCD

Liked Posts:
I've got this feeling about pretty much the entire roster.

I still don't think anyone could convince me that this team is capable of finding another gear come April and making these regular season issues a distant memory.

Agree 100%. Playoffs become more of a full on team game where everyone is on the same page and working for the same goals. This club gets tight in the playoffs. They have for the last 6 years? Even 2011 with that rough regular season they seemed to tighten up ( did take the canucks taking them to a 3-0 deficit though..but still).

Lets not forget the end schedule of the regular season can take a little focus off team play and go a little in the individual direction also. Happens to a lot of teams. Not saying that the Hawks are completely thrown off their game but i am willing to bet during kanes run for the hart and the scoring title a little of that excitement creeped i to the overall teams play. Again not suggesting kane became selfish or anything like that but i bet as a team a little of that " lets get kaner the title" crept in. Maybe im crazy though.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Well Oduya shall play on Thursday, if that means its back to eternal Rundblad sitting or partial Rozi rotation is gonna be determined

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Well Oduya shall play on Thursday, if that means its back to eternal Rundblad sitting or partial Rozi rotation is gonna be determined

Who is he paired with is the real question.

TCD

Liked Posts:

Hopefully it's the Roz that sits. The Runder hasnt been all that bad lately. Not that he is living up to that Sopel #5 or anything. Good ole Runder and The Roz.

TCD

Liked Posts:
P.S. This schedule right now sucks. What is with all these days off between games? It's never a good thing.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hopefully it's the Roz that sits. The Runder hasnt been all that bad lately. Not that he is living up to that Sopel #5 or anything. Good ole Runder and The Roz.

LOL, you made me pee my runderwear.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It is clear to me how much the Hawks miss Kane. The magic of Kane makes everyone he plays with so much better. Other teams go back on their heels like no other player in my memory other than Orr or Gretzky. He is magic and they miss him.

So other people are going to have to step up and play better than they usually do to make up for his loss and I fell that this has not happened as yet. And the defense needs to right the ship and to start winning the play in front of Crawford. They are going to have to start kicking some ass for a change if they are to advance.

Popinski Soda

Back in the USSR
Donator
Liked Posts:
P.S. This schedule right now sucks. What is with all these days off between games? It's never a good thing.

I've been wondering that myself. Seems like if it's not 90-days inbetween games, then it's either a 40-game homestand or a 2-year road trip.

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
It is clear to me how much the Hawks miss Kane. The magic of Kane makes everyone he plays with so much better. Other teams go back on their heels like no other player in my memory other than Orr or Gretzky. He is magic and they miss him.

So other people are going to have to step up and play better than they usually do to make up for his loss and I fell that this has not happened as yet. And the defense needs to right the ship and to start winning the play in front of Crawford. They are going to have to start kicking some ass for a change if they are to advance.

Come on. Kane is awesome but there have been PLENTY of guys that have come through the NHL that have the same effect on the defense. Bure, Selanne, Jagr, Lemieux, Crosby, Ovechkin, Datsyuk, Tavares, Stamkos, Sakic, Forsberg, Coffey, Savard??? Just to name a few.... Putting Kane in sole company with Gretzky and Orr is absurd.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
The list should be -
1)Modano
2)Kane
3)Gretzky
4)Orr
5)James Black
6)Gordie

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Come on. Kane is awesome but there have been PLENTY of guys that have come through the NHL that have the same effect on the defense. Bure, Selanne, Jagr, Lemieux, Crosby, Ovechkin, Datsyuk, Tavares, Stamkos, Sakic, Forsberg, Coffey, Savard??? Just to name a few.... Putting Kane in sole company with Gretzky and Orr is absurd.

What I am referring to is puck control. The other players you listed were great in many ways and in many ways better than Kane all around. But I still think that in puck control, Kane is as good as it gets. It is like he hypnotizes the opponent. He just is an amazing player with the puck.