Ratliff: "Felt Like Killing Everybody In The Building"

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...iah-ratliff-death-threats-20151030-story.html

Sounds like that firefighter story is true.

Former Chicago Bears defensive lineman Jeremiah Ratliff made death threats and claimed to be the devil during multiple visits to team headquarters on Oct. 21, according to the report released Friday by the Lake Forest Police Department.

Ratliff showed up at Halas Hall in no condition to work on the morning of Oct. 21, multiple people familiar with the situation have said. After Ratliff was sent home, the Bears decided to cut the four-time Pro Bowler.

After Ratliff was informed of his release, he returned to team headquarters, parked outside the security gate and came onto the property on foot, saying he needed to gather his belongings.

According to the police report, Ratliff at one point said “he felt like killing everybody in the building.”

Ratliff left with his belongings without further incident. However, he returned to Halas Hall a short time later, saying he needed to retrieve his cell phone, according to the report. During that visit, he said, “I am the devil” and that he “wished staff member’s children would die.”

The Bears asked Ratliff to leave the property and not return. They called police to request additional security, partly because they believed Ratliff owns multiple firearms, the report says.

I know this sounds "crazy" to some if you.....but maybe Ratliff needs help and is crying out for help. Just a thought.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
I'm concerned that this is more in context of CTE. he sounds like he's off his rocker, I hope he gets the help he needs.

More and more football seems to become a guilty pleasure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Liked Posts:
I'm concerned that this is more in context of CTE. he sounds like he's off his rocker, I hope he gets the help he needs.

More and more football seems to become a guilty pleasure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know. If this were truly CTE wouldn't there be a pattern of outbursts before he came to the Bears to be coached by a bunch of clueless pushovers?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I know this sounds "crazy" to some if you.....but maybe Ratliff needs help and is crying out for help. Just a thought.

He obviously needs help and I don't doubt that the McCaskey family would be in favor of doing so. You can not like their football acumen but they've displayed compassion in the past. What so many don't get is that it can't be forced on him. He still has rights and if he'd rather be a wack job than play football, the league or Bears are in no position to influence his personal decisions. When this 1st happened and we didn't know the severity of the confrontation, there were a bunch of posters with this opinion but you can't help a guy that doesn't want to be helped or is at least willing to go through the motions (hoping something will stick) to keep his job.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Every time the new qb threw off his back foot in to triple coverage the cutler types would start a thread claiming Jay was turning the corner when he met his tragic end and, had he lived longer, would not have done that.

Such obsession is unhealthy. I mean you and them.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
He obviously needs help and I don't doubt that the McCaskey family would be in favor of doing so.

You can not like their football acumen but they've displayed compassion in the past. What so many don't get is that it can't be forced on him.

He still has rights and if he'd rather be a wack job than play football, the league or Bears are in no position to influence his personal decisions.

When this 1st happened and we didn't know the severity of the confrontation, there were a bunch of posters with this opinion but you can't help a guy that doesn't want to be helped or is at least willing to go through the motions (hoping something will stick) to keep his job.

I never heard anything about the McCaskey family offering or Ratcliff. rejecting help. Where's the "displayed compassion" for Ratliff

Yeah, the league should be ' in position to influence his personal decisions.' when it comes to a players mental health, especially with all the "head injury drama" coming to light.

Another, wild idea. How about the NFL having a counseling dept. for players especially when a player has shown some type of erratic behavior

How many Dave Dureson's, Junior Seau's or Jim McMahon's ( who's admitted to having suicidal thoughts), etc. .....do we need before the league puts in place a protocol for dealing these problems before they arise.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The McCaskeys may be better off distancing the organization from him. If truly said he felt like killing people, anyone, in the organization, cut him and ban him from the property. Threats have to be taken seriously. If they want to offer him help that would be a nice gesture. But they are certainly under no moral or legal obligation to do so. Threaten violence against your co-workers anywhere and you are gone-period. The police should be called and, perhaps, should remain on site or close by for a period of time.

Reactions: DC

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is BS. Jay does this kind of stuff all the time ...

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I never heard anything about the McCaskey family offering or Ratcliff. rejecting help. Where's the "displayed compassion" for Ratliff

Yeah, the league should be ' in position to influence his personal decisions.' when it comes to a players mental health, especially with all the "head injury drama" coming to light.

Another, wild idea. How about the NFL having a counseling dept. for players especially when a player has shown some type of erratic behavior

How many Dave Dureson's, Junior Seau's or Jim McMahon's ( who's admitted to having suicidal thoughts), etc. .....do we need before the league puts in place a protocol for dealing these problems before they arise.

http://nfllifeline.org/resources/
Resources for Current Players

NFL Player Engagement: provides current players with personal and professional development resources, while supporting and educating players' families to take full advantage of the opportunities afforded to them by their NFL experience. Visit Life, Player Engagement's page for current NFL players, for more information.
NFL Total Wellness: a comprehensive resource that helps NFL Family members succeed in all areas of life. Topics include healthy relationships, financial responsibility, and a smooth transition from the NFL to a new career or calling. By taking advantage of the NFL Total Wellness resources, current players can ensure that they stay healthy, on and off the field.
NFL Player Assistance and Counseling Service: Players and their family members can call (800) 635-4625 to get access to the NFL Player Assistance and Counseling Service. Eligible current and former players can receive up to eight free counseling sessions and referrals for child care and elder care resources, financial and legal assistance, and other support.
NFL Continuing Education Program (CEP): helps current NFL players finish their undergraduate, graduate, or professional degrees. The program works with schools to allow players to conveniently study in their club city and become better prepared for life after football.

Resources for Former Players

The NFL is committed to the well-being of its players, including those who are no longer playing in the league, and offers numerous resources for eligible vested players:

Health Services: The Former Player Life Improvement Plan provides several programs and benefits for eligible retired players. Benefits include joint replacement support, Medicare supplements, neurological care, spine treatment, assisted living facilities, a prescription drug card, and more. Other services include cardiovascular and prostate screenings, long-term care insurance, and more.
NFL Player Engagement: offers resources to support former players as they transition to a life after football. The services provided by NFL Player Engagement can guide a vested player through his "next steps" and foster both personal and professional growth. Visit Next, Player Engagement's page for former NFL players, for more information.
NFL Total Wellness: a valuable set of services and resources to help former players and their families stay healthy physically, emotionally, and financially. With information on chronic diseases, maintaining fulfilling relationships, and tips for managing your health, NFL Total Wellness can keep former players living well long after they've left the game.
NFL Player Assistance and Counseling Service: provides vested NFL players with support and assistance across all parts of life, including child care, legal and financial assistance, and confidential counseling services (players and their household members are afforded up to eight face-to-face sessions with a counselor at no cost). Players and their family members can call (800) 635-4625 to get access to the NFL Player Assistance and Counseling Service.
Pensions and Disabilities: The NFL provides financial benefits to eligible players based on medical or mental health conditions. Monthly pension benefits are also available to eligible players who reach retirement age. For more information call (800) 638-3186.
NFL Players Association: offers financial guidance, legal support, and health and wellness programs to current and former players and the NFL community.
NFL Player Care Foundation: provides charitable grants to qualified former players experiencing financial hardship. The PCF also supports the cardiovascular and prostate screenings.
Gene Upshaw Player Assistance Fund: provides former professional and amateur football players with financial assistance in times of crisis. The fund was created by the Professional Athletes Foundation, which oversees all of its funding.
Gridiron Greats Assistance Fund: a charity founded by former Chicago Bears coach Mike Ditka. The foundation provides medical and financial assistance to retired players, and its services include medical evaluations, housing assistance, and coordination of food services.

Learn more about programs and benefits for players.

MIKETOUHY

Liked Posts:
He obviously needs help and I don't doubt that the McCaskey family would be in favor of doing so. You can not like their football acumen but they've displayed compassion in the past. What so many don't get is that it can't be forced on him. He still has rights and if he'd rather be a wack job than play football, the league or Bears are in no position to influence his personal decisions. When this 1st happened and we didn't know the severity of the confrontation, there were a bunch of posters with this opinion but you can't help a guy that doesn't want to be helped or is at least willing to go through the motions (hoping something will stick) to keep his job.
The McCaskeys shouldn't have to bothers spending money for counseling service for the players along with other owners.

They just need to behave themselves or don't join the NFL.

Could anyone imagine Halas or other owners back in the day wasting time and money on players who can't control themselves?

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
The McCaskeys shouldn't have to bothers spending money for counseling service for the players along with other owners.

They just need to behave themselves or don't join the NFL.

Could anyone imagine Halas or other owners back in the day wasting time and money on players who can't control themselves?
When Halas started coaching, they didn't have the polio vaccine.

Schmidtaki

Just your everyday fail.
Donator
Liked Posts:

Unfortunately you have to want help for help to be given too you.

Reactions: DC

Mitchapalooza

If he was crying for help he should get himself some help instead of threatening his coaches and whatnot. He's a grown man not a child.