Relax Cub Fans, Stewart is Out

Kleats

Liked Posts:
Where does Vitters stand in this ? Why waste time with Stewart and Valbuena ? Why not just give it to Vitters and tell him he's gonna have to accept that he's going to struggle some but will get better with time . I think it would pay off in the long run and it's not like the Cubs have any obvious better options at 3rd .

Tell him to play solid D , hit 15 dingers and bat .240 ( with the hope that he improves for the future ). Better than wasting time with the other two imo . Get the kid ML AB's and find out IF he has a realistic future at this level.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think Vitters will be called-up again this year at some point, but they want him to get the at-bats in Triple A. Especially if Stewart and Valbuena struggle, they may call him up sooner than later if he's hitting in Triple A. Who knows, maybe they both hit and could be traded this season. Then, Vitters has a great chance to get the call.

Also, Vitters is dealing with a hammy problem along with Stewart.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
What a bum...waste of a roster spot. :rolleyes:

Srsly, dude is teh suck.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm giving him 1 more season and see what he does. His wrist is suppost to be 100% healthy for the 1st time in th epast couple season, so we will see if that helps. He was a top prospect and had a good 1st season, but then everything went downhill.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Stewart is a piece of shit. He couldnt hit in Coors so everyone knew he suck at Wrigley where wind blows in alot more then blows out now. I personally hope Cubs save 2 mil and just play Valbuena first halve with Vitters getting chance to take job later in the year. I dont think Vitters is the answer long term but do job till Cubs find one.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
The fact that Vitters can't really field the position is why he is going to start the year in Iowa. Feldman when is going good is an extreme groundball pitcher and they are going to need a solid defense behind him. Given the struggle the lineup is going to have they are going to need be as strong defensively as possible. I would love to see what a healthy Ian Stewart is capable of, but that might not happen this year. And this is the last year you can roll the dice and see if he can do it.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
He did hit at Coors when he 1st came up, then he injured wrist and it's finally 100% (per reports) now, that's why I'll give it 1 more year.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
He did hit at Coors when he 1st came up, then he injured wrist and it's finally 100% (per reports) now, that's why I'll give it 1 more year.

Colvin also did it at Coors. Coors makes hitters TONS better. Stewart hasnt been healthy in years and hasnt hit since rookie year. Time to move on and play the kids. Dabs i agree Vitters DEF is bad and cause 1 SP is a groundball machine doesnt mean you send him to AAA. So on that day where Feldman pitches you put Valbuena in. Still get Vitters 4 out of 5 starts per week. DEF at 3B is overated. DEF matters up the middle. The corners i want hitters.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Give Stewart a few months and if nothing changes,l then you make moves. Maybe try Lake at 3B as well.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Colvin also did it at Coors. Coors makes hitters TONS better. Stewart hasnt been healthy in years and hasnt hit since rookie year. Time to move on and play the kids. Dabs i agree Vitters DEF is bad and cause 1 SP is a groundball machine doesnt mean you send him to AAA. So on that day where Feldman pitches you put Valbuena in. Still get Vitters 4 out of 5 starts per week. DEF at 3B is overated. DEF matters up the middle. The corners i want hitters.

The Cubs staff as a whole doesn't rack up strikeouts and is going to rely on defense. Feldman might be the only extreme groundball pitcher, but only Shark or Garza really can take the defense out of the equation. Defense matters and the minimal at best gain in offense you would get is going to be wiped out by Vitter's play in the field.

The fact that he needs to work on his defense is something that can't be brushed aside especially considering his extremely limited offensive upside given his approach at the plate.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
I'm giving him 1 more season and see what he does. His wrist is suppost to be 100% healthy for the 1st time in th epast couple season, so we will see if that helps. He was a top prospect and had a good 1st season, but then everything went downhill.

This is about how I feel about the Ian Project.

Anno Catuli

World Series Dreaming
Liked Posts:

You do realize that a healthy Valbuena was barely better last year than an injured Stewart right?

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
You do realize that a healthy Valbuena was barely better last year than an injured Stewart right?

Valbuean looked way better last year because he had hot streaks where he look pretty good.

Anno Catuli

World Series Dreaming
Liked Posts:
Valbuean looked way better last year because he had hot streaks where he look pretty good.

And even with those hot streaks he was barely better

Valbuena
90 G 4 HR 28 RBI .219 BA .310 OBP .340 SLG .650 OPS

Stewart
55 G 5 HR 17 RBI .201 BA .292 OBP .335 SLG .627 OPS

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
And even with those hot streaks he was barely better

Valbuena
90 G 4 HR 28 RBI .219 BA .310 OBP .340 SLG .650 OPS

Stewart
55 G 5 HR 17 RBI .201 BA .292 OBP .335 SLG .627 OPS

By hot streak ... puthing a coulple good games in a row.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
3B is a gaping hole for Cubs right now. So why not play the kid. Vitters has struggled every level he starts off with but then figures it out. So let him struggle and see if he figures it out like he has every other level he played in.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
3B is a gaping hole for Cubs right now. So why not play the kid. Vitters has struggled every level he starts off with but then figures it out. So let him struggle and see if he figures it out like he has every other level he played in.

Because his upside just isn't that high. What Stewart has already done in the majors is far beyond the offensive output that Vitters is capable of in terms of power, obp, and defense.