Relax Cub Fans, Stewart is Out

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Because his upside just isn't that high. What Stewart has already done in the majors is far beyond the offensive output that Vitters is capable of in terms of power, obp, and defense.

I have heard scouts that think he could be a .260-.270 with 15-20 HR guy. Stewart will never be anything like that. he a .220 hitter with 15-20 HR IF HEALTHY and he proving again he not

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have heard scouts that think he could be a .260-.270 with 15-20 HR guy. Stewart will never be anything like that. he a .220 hitter with 15-20 HR IF HEALTHY and he proving again he not

Seriously I know you hate the guy, but that .260-.270 is going to come with a .300 OBP and maybe 20 HRs. Stewart has already done better than that. Yes I know Coors, Coors, Coors, but if you bother to look at his career splits you will see that he has hit the same away as his had at Coors. If healthy Stewart is far likely to outproduce Vitters in 2013. That is an if I am willing to concede, but the need to see if Vitters can be a .750 OPS player, which is about as a big if as Stewart staying healthy, is hardly pressing.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Seriously I know you hate the guy, but that .260-.270 is going to come with a .300 OBP and maybe 20 HRs. Stewart has already done better than that. Yes I know Coors, Coors, Coors, but if you bother to look at his career splits you will see that he has hit the same away as his had at Coors. If healthy Stewart is far likely to outproduce Vitters in 2013. That is an if I am willing to concede, but the need to see if Vitters can be a .750 OPS player, which is about as a big if as Stewart staying healthy, is hardly pressing.

So both have huge questions. So next question is do you want to give the 23 y/o a chance or a 28 y/o that cant stay healthy. Il take my chance on 23 y/o that has hit at every level in the minors after he struggles at beggining. Cubs didnt give him much of shot last year. Never got consistant AB. Played 1 out of every 3/4 days. Hard to get into rythem playing that way. While team is young and shitty is great time to play the young 3B. Yes i know im a hater of Stewart but theres no reason for me to have any hope for him. Vitters theres still an ounce of hope. I saw Vitters play alot of games in Peoria and see some skill. He never be a good DEF of 3B but DEF at 3B is very overrated.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
So both have huge questions. So next question is do you want to give the 23 y/o a chance or a 28 y/o that cant stay healthy. Il take my chance on 23 y/o that has hit at every level in the minors after he struggles at beggining. Cubs didnt give him much of shot last year. Never got consistant AB. Played 1 out of every 3/4 days. Hard to get into rythem playing that way. While team is young and shitty is great time to play the young 3B. Yes i know im a hater of Stewart but theres no reason for me to have any hope for him. Vitters theres still an ounce of hope. I saw Vitters play alot of games in Peoria and see some skill. He never be a good DEF of 3B but DEF at 3B is very overrated.

Vitters as a player does not mesh with what the FO is doing, and that is the reason he isn't getting any of the same treatment as other prospects. Yes he is 23 years old but he is a butcher in the field and swings at anything close to the strikezone. I would rather the Cubs continue to focus on players that fit the philosophy of working counts and playing good defense unless they are so ridiculously talented it makes up for those faults, e.g. Starlin Castro.

We will see at the end of the day, but the lottery ticket that is Ian Stewart has a lot higher payday than Josh Vitters does at this point. That is why I am willing to play that one until a better option emerges in Javier Baez hopefully.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wouldn't mind seeing Lake over at 3B... I've said that before.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I completely agree he not what the FO wants in a player. Dont get me wrong i dont think Vitters is the answer but until they find an answer i rather see Vitters play and maybe get some trade value. Baez i also believe will be the 3B in the next couple years. Vitters i can see turn into a Jeff Baker type. Will end up playing 3B,2B,LF,RF and be a bench player with some HR pop

Lake be interesting guy to see this year also. I think anyone would be more interesting then Stewart a 3B this year lol

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I completely agree he not what the FO wants in a player. Dont get me wrong i dont think Vitters is the answer but until they find an answer i rather see Vitters play and maybe get some trade value. Baez i also believe will be the 3B in the next couple years. Vitters i can see turn into a Jeff Baker type. Will end up playing 3B,2B,LF,RF and be a bench player with some HR pop

Lake be interesting guy to see this year also. I think anyone would be more interesting then Stewart a 3B this year lol
Vitters can barely play 3B, what makes you think he can handle 2B? I agree a bench role is Vitters ultimately role with filling at 3B, 1B and LF. I know your position on Stewart, but he really does offer the highest ceiling of any of the realistic options this year. That is why he should play to give a chance to either emerge as a stopgap until a better option comes along or a flippable asset given the dearth of 3B in major league baseabll right now.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
In my eyes Stewart has no upside. Im not the only one who thinks that. Vitters only being 23 still has some upside. We just have different view on upside of Stewart and Vitters. I think we both agree neither are long term answer.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
In my eyes Stewart has no upside. Im not the only one who thinks that. Vitters only being 23 still has some upside. We just have different view on upside of Stewart and Vitters. I think we both agree neither are long term answer.

You are right that neither seem them as long term solution. The fact that Stewart got a contract to come in this year seems to indicate that some pretty smart baseball people think there is some upside with Stewart. We will see.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
You are right that neither seem them as long term solution. The fact that Stewart got a contract to come in this year seems to indicate that some pretty smart baseball people think there is some upside with Stewart. We will see.

He got a NO guarentee contract. So that kind of proves what they think about him. I think its more of throwing something at the board and hoping it sticks. Stewart matches there type of player cause of DEF and being semi patient at plate alot more then Vitters who free swinger aka Hendry type of player lol. Since both players have there downfalls i would just want to play the younger of 2. Thats the way i look at it

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
He got a NO guarentee contract. So that kind of proves what they think about him. I think its more of throwing something at the board and hoping it sticks. Stewart matches there type of player cause of DEF and being semi patient at plate alot more then Vitters who free swinger aka Hendry type of player lol. Since both players have there downfalls i would just want to play the younger of 2. Thats the way i look at it

Most misunderstood thing in spring training. Stewart got the same contract every arbitration player gets. They, arbitration contracts, are all nonguaranteed contracts. The same could be said for Nate Schierholtz.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Gordon Wittenmyer ‏@GDubCub
Sveum says Stewart faces "cram session" to make team by time expected back.

Would make my ST season if he doesnt make team lol

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Most misunderstood thing in spring training. Stewart got the same contract every arbitration player gets. They, arbitration contracts, are all nonguaranteed contracts. The same could be said for Nate Schierholtz.

Can you prove that? If thats the case why did Cubs non tender Stewart and just not do ARB so he had no chance of hitting market. They could have tender him and if didnt like way he played cut him in ST at same cost. No team would have reason to non tender cause if they didnt want to pay player that salarly they could just cut him in ST. I dont think thats correct. I think contract is guaranteed if offered ARB

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs just last year had to pay Randy Wells his contract over 2 mil for ARB. They knew they had to pay him no matter if released or AAA so they stuck him in AAA for depth

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
THanks.. Wells was cause it wasnt during ST. It happen during regular season. So only time to release an ARB guy without paying is during ST. Thanks Dabs

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
THanks.. Wells was cause it wasnt during ST. It happen during regular season. So only time to release an ARB guy without paying is during ST. Thanks Dabs

Yes, and so Samardzija, James Russell, Nate Schierholtz, Luis Valbuena, etc. all have the same language in their deals. Stewart's deal is no different than any other guy with less than 6 years of major league service.