Report: Bears offer OC job to Packers QB coach Luke Getsy

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
It is but probably wanted someone who likely needs 2-3 years before getting a HC gig.
This is what I was thinking. I want someone who can coach Fields for at least 2 years. Make him good and OC proof, then get your coaching job.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yep a 31 yr old who had never called plays who nobody had ever heard of at the time.
McVay? He was a offensive coordinator and has called every single play for the Rams since he was coach. Da fuq>

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Neither did Matt Lefleur, Kyle Shanahan, McVay,. I am sure there are more that succeed rather than fail. If they're propped up by a play caller, which Getsy certainly is there is a level of risk. He has a supposed history with developing WR too, Davante Adams and Corey Davis at Central Western Michigan.

I think he will be fine plus it weakens the Peckers.
You ar wrong before you begain

Visionman

Liked Posts:
You dont bring in a guy with no experience calling plays and give him a second year young QB. It reeks of disaster and Im not a Bears fan. Maybe he beats the odds, but he is already put in a shitty situation
Stick to what you know…it isn’t football

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You dont bring in a guy with no experience calling plays and give him a second year young QB. It reeks of disaster and Im not a Bears fan. Maybe he beats the odds, but he is already put in a shitty situation
Worked for the Rams back in 2017
?
McVay? He was a offensive coordinator and has called every single play for the Rams since he was coach. Da fuq>
Yes he has but when he got to LA he had not called plays before under Shanahan and came to a team with 2nd year QB.

Sooooo… da fuq?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
We could always a guy with experience like Beiniemy who called a great play at the end of the 1/2. How do you call that and not remind your QB to end zone or ditch? It literally cost them the game.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
How? They were position coaches before becoming coordinators, all of them.

McVay called plays under Jay Gruden. He was TEs coach under Shanny. Gruden called plays his first season then McVay called plays the 2 years before he become Rams HC.

Kyle called plays with Texans before he joined his dad in Wash.

Lafleur called plays for Titans before rhe GB job.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
McVay called plays under Jay Gruden. He was TEs coach under Shanny. Gruden called plays his first season then McVay called plays the 2 years before he become Rams HC.
I know this. I’m saying they weren’t coordinators out of the gate. They were position coaches

WestsideResider

Bro idk
Liked Posts:
We could always a guy with experience like Beiniemy who called a great play at the end of the 1/2. How do you call that and not remind your QB to end zone or ditch? It literally cost them the game.
I think Reid calls the plays in KC

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
That ball was supposed to go in the end zone or thrown away, on mahomes there

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Mahomes knew what he was supposed to do there. He was just cocky enough to think Hill could get the TD.

Rise

Liked Posts:
I’ll be shocked if Getsy gets a HC a job after only one year here. It would have to be one hell of a year.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
By the same logic....we should have never hired Poles because he was never a real NFL GM before, Nor Eberflus because he was never a HC....

Come to think of it why did we ever put Buddy Ryan in charge of an NFL defense? He was never a Coordinator before he came to the Bears.

True......here's some additional info on Ryan

New York Jets​

Ryan joined the New York Jets of the AFL in 1968. He and Walt Michaels' defensive game plan was instrumental in holding the NFL's Baltimore Colts to seven points in Super Bowl III and earning Ryan his first Super Bowl ring. Seeing the emphasis that Weeb Ewbank placed on protecting Joe Namath and his fragile knees.

Ryan created multiple blitz packages (i.e. the "59 blitz", the "Taco Bell blitz", and the "Cheeseburger blitz") reasoning that the quarterback is the focal point of any offense, and that a defense must attack the offense's strength and centerpiece.

Minnesota Vikings​

In 1976 and 1977, Ryan served as defensive line coach for the Minnesota Vikings. The Vikings' defensive line, known as the "Purple People Eaters", was heralded for its ability to punish rivals. The 1976 Vikings won the NFC Championship and appeared in Super Bowl XI. In 1977, the Vikings won the NFC Central and reached the NFC Championship game.

During his time with the Vikings, he started working on a defensive nickel scheme designed to disrupt the passing game. That formed the early basis of the 46 defense.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I'm not calling him grossly unqualified. If you want to argue with someone who thinks that, go for it.

He probably called plays at a D3 school over a decade ago. He's didn't call plays at MSU per an article I found and linked.

It's a large step up in what he will probably have on his plate here compared to his previous jobs. I hope he can handle it and will give him the benefit of the the doubt on it.

On Moorhead serving as the offensive play-caller…

"It'll be very similar to where I just came from. The head coach has a lot of responsibilities and a lot of hats to wear. Yes, he's going to be the play-caller on game days, and it is his offense first and foremost. The importance of the leadership of the offensive coordinator is critical. He's not going to be able to do everything that he did at Penn State as far as his commitment to the offense, and it's my responsibility to be his second-hand man, his right-hand man, always there to think alike, act alike and hopefully lead alike."

-Luke Getsy,

Getsy, Offensive Staff Eager To Turn Football Into Championship ...

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

New York Jets​

Ryan joined the New York Jets of the AFL in 1968. He and Walt Michaels' defensive game plan was instrumental in holding the NFL's Baltimore Colts to seven points in Super Bowl III and earning Ryan his first Super Bowl ring. Seeing the emphasis that Weeb Ewbank placed on protecting Joe Namath and his fragile knees.

Ryan created multiple blitz packages (i.e. the "59 blitz", the "Taco Bell blitz", and the "Cheeseburger blitz") reasoning that the quarterback is the focal point of any offense, and that a defense must attack the offense's strength and centerpiece.

Minnesota Vikings​

In 1976 and 1977, Ryan served as defensive line coach for the Minnesota Vikings. The Vikings' defensive line, known as the "Purple People Eaters", was heralded for its ability to punish rivals. The 1976 Vikings won the NFC Championship and appeared in Super Bowl XI. In 1977, the Vikings won the NFC Central and reached the NFC Championship game.

During his time with the Vikings, he started working on a defensive nickel scheme designed to disrupt the passing game. That formed the early basis of the 46 defense.
Yes but he never was a DC so we really can't count any of it...by the previous logic

Do you think that, being the passing coordinator, and having called plays in the preseason might have built some plays and help generate a scheme for the Packers?

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

New York Jets​

Minnesota Vikings​

Yes but he never was a DC so we really can't count any of it...by the previous logic

Do you think that, being the passing coordinator, and having called plays in the preseason might have built some plays and help generate a scheme for the Packers?

Well if find where getsy was or is working on some innovative offensive scheme akin to the innovative
"46 D",
please share it. I like learning about innovative offensive scheme

Canth

Liked Posts:
We don't need Getsy to invent a brand new NFL offense that nobody has seen before. We just need him build a modern offense that makes sense and that is structured to put his players in a position to succeed. I know that will seem like a miracle in Chicago, but it really doesn't need to be that hard.

More to the point, we need a coaching staff that can teach the details of whatever scheme they run so the players can go execute the offense. It would be a nice change to see a team that knew what they were doing out there and eliminated dumb penalties.