Report: Bears offer OC job to Packers QB coach Luke Getsy

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
You dont bring in a guy with no experience calling plays and give him a second year young QB. It reeks of disaster and Im not a Bears fan. Maybe he beats the odds, but he is already put in a shitty situation
what odds?

Is there some scientific study done of young OCs and young QBs?

(btw Young OC sounds like a 90s rapper hiphop name)

people are acting like this guy has no idea how an NFL game plan is formed and called.

You don't spend 10+ years in college and pro offensive coaching groups and not know how this works.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Live look at Getsy trying to call an NFL Game plan.....

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Getsy seeing a NFL QB for the first time......

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
By the same logic....we should have never hired Poles because he was never a real NFL GM before, Nor Eberflus because he was never a HC....

Come to think of it why did we ever put Buddy Ryan in charge of an NFL defense? He was never a Coordinator before he came to the Bears.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Gesty has been an OC in college and has called games in Preseason in the NFL.

You have two choices either you get someone who has failed someplace else as an OC or you getsy an up and comer...

There is no perfect situation. The perfect situation doesn't exist.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
He's never called plays at any level.

He had a very small piece of the whole in GB, apparently. His responsibility was very narrow. Again, I'm not against it. But when compared to say, Kevin O'Connell, or Joe Brady, or even Mike McDaniel, his responsibilities have been limited. That's not to say he will do poorly.
But those guys all called plays for the first time somewhere, right? And Getsy did call plays as OC in college for a year.

I certainly understand the concern or uncertainty if he has not been the play caller. I respect that some are less than sure. That's entirely fair. But where do people think OCs come from? It is a very regular thing for a team to promote an offensive coach to OC, either internally, or through hiring from another organization. Some people here act as though this is an aberration.

And some here called him "grossly unqualified" while an NFL team felt he was worthy of a head coach interview. I trust the NFL people more than someone here (not you) just criticizing to criticize.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
He has never done it in the NFL. Night and Day
We don't want someone who has never held the job, and we don't want a retread who has been fired from his last job. So, that leaves a pretty small pool from which to hire.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
hey guys

did you know that there are playcallers that were BORN with experience. not like they got their chance at some point to start actually calling plays. No, that cant be it

TL1961

Liked Posts:
At D3 (before he was even agrad assistant) and D2 (where the HC was an offensive guy - not sure he called plays) schools a decade and more ago. Dan Mullen called plays at MSU. So yes, but it's tough to imagine that is much like running an NFL offense.
Getsy was OC at MSU the year after Dan Mullen left for Florida. Getsy was not at MSU when Dan Mullen was.

Last edited:

dennehy

Liked Posts:
But those guys all called plays for the first time somewhere, right? And Getsy did call plays as OC in college for a year.

I certainly understand the concern or uncertainty if he has not been the play caller. I respect that some are less than sure. That's entirely fair. But where do people think OCs come from? It is a very regular thing for a team to promote an offensive coach to OC, either internally, or through hiring from another organization. Some people here act as though this is an aberration.

And some here called him "grossly unqualified" while an NFL team felt he was worthy of a head coach interview. I trust the NFL people more than someone here (not you) just criticizing to criticize.
I'm not calling him grossly unqualified. If you want to argue with someone who thinks that, go for it.

He probably called plays at a D3 school over a decade ago. He's didn't call plays at MSU per an article I found and linked.

It's a large step up in what he will probably have on his plate here compared to his previous jobs. I hope he can handle it and will give him the benefit of the the doubt on it.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I'm not calling him grossly unqualified. If you want to argue with someone who thinks that, go for it.

He probably called plays at a D3 school over a decade ago. He's didn't call plays at MSU per an article I found and linked.

It's a large step up in what he will probably have on his plate here compared to his previous jobs. I hope he can handle it and will give him the benefit of the the doubt on it.
You linked an article about a coach Getsy never worked with.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
At the NFL level Getsy called plays in preseason only, but that's to be expected with the OC as head coach....

dennehy

Liked Posts:
You linked an article about a coach Getsy never worked with.
I acknowledged that and then I linked one about about a coach who he did work with. He was not the play caller, although it seems like it was something of a collaborative process under Moorhead.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Y’all good?

stelz

Heavily Medicated
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The guy should have some insight into the Packers and strategies to use against them.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
He has never done it in the NFL. Night and Day
Neither did Matt Lefleur, Kyle Shanahan, McVay,. I am sure there are more that succeed rather than fail. If they're propped up by a play caller, which Getsy certainly is there is a level of risk. He has a supposed history with developing WR too, Davante Adams and Corey Davis at Central Western Michigan.

I think he will be fine plus it weakens the Peckers.

stelz

Heavily Medicated
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Have there Bears ever hired a guy off the Packers' staff? Can't recall it ever happening. Is Virginia carrying a resentment from the 1950's about that whole "forward passing" thing?

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wonder if all the Shanahan tree setup their O staffs the same way GB has theirs. I also wonder if Getsy will do that here.

OC: Redzone and play calling
QBC: Passing game
WRC: 3rd down
RBC: Running game
OLC: Short distance
TEC: Goal line

… or something similar

I know most teams have running and passing game coordinators but I’ve never heard of team splitting up situational offense like that. Is this a prevalent practice in the NFL or something that has been unique to the Shanahan tree or even more specifically just GB?

In theory it’s a good way to split up the responsibilities so all of it isn’t on one person but could cause a too many cooks in the kitchen situation.