Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I read this and I told u I've also I made a living interviewing ppl. I've seen ppl with " charisma, leadership, ability to teach and connect based on a resume."

For the purposes of this discussion, which is about Fields' Qb development and hiring the best most qualified OC....

I want to know have u done in you career with regards to Qb development?
Have u ever run a pro offense?
Have u called plays at any point?

Now if the answer is no to those questions then "charisma, leadership, ability to teach and connect based on a resume."
mean nothing to me. I want tangible results from a potential OC candidate. I don't want " but I can learn"
So why do you interview people? Seems all you value is what they put on paper.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Well apparently from some of my sources whomst I have twitter direct messengered such as Greg Gabriel and Harold Winman is that Getsby has roots deep within the Shanahan coaching tree and he branches off of that with deep passing and also RPOs with some QB designed runs to keep the defence literally honest so maybe it is his time to shine?
like Greg Gabriel he is a literal LEGEND round the SF nightclubs where Shanahan' teeth have been cut on outside zoning and strong tight end running plays.

So yes.

Robocop 80

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Houston Astros
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Miami Hurricanes
Well apparently from some of my sources whomst I have twitter direct messengered such as Greg Gabriel and Harold Winman is that Getsby has roots deep within the Shanahan coaching tree and he branches off of that with deep passing and also RPOs with some QB designed runs to keep the defence literally honest so maybe it is his time to shine?
Ooooooooh……..so technical!

TL1961

Liked Posts:
He's never called plays, never OC at any level (I think), he was a WR coach until the last few years, never been above 3rd in command of an NFL offense. I'm not against it, but this is a pretty low experience hire.
The OC typically calls plays, unless it's the HC. So "never called plays" and "never OC" are pretty much the same thing.

Except in GB, where the offensive coaches had different areas of responsibility. His was 3rd downs, and the Packers were pretty good on 3rd downs. (Though I'm sure a certain QB had a lot to do with that, as well as Adams.)

dennehy

Liked Posts:
The OC typically calls plays, unless it's the HC. So "never called plays" and "never OC" are pretty much the same thing.

Except in GB, where the offensive coaches had different areas of responsibility. His was 3rd downs, and the Packers were pretty good on 3rd downs. (Though I'm sure a certain QB had a lot to do with that, as well as Adams.)
He's never called plays at any level.

He had a very small piece of the whole in GB, apparently. His responsibility was very narrow. Again, I'm not against it. But when compared to say, Kevin O'Connell, or Joe Brady, or even Mike McDaniel, his responsibilities have been limited. That's not to say he will do poorly.

cameronkrazie86

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers
I have no idea how good Getsy will or won't do. I will say though, if you get Bill Callahan to coach the offensive line, that's an instant upgrade that should help out immediately. Better blocking up front makes any offensive coordinator look better. The RPO's and adding a deep, vertical passing game sound like things that Justin Fields can excel at so those two combos at least give me confidence that perhaps they're on to something. As with everything, time will tell the story.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Getsy has called plays. He’s been an OC.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Getsy has called plays. He’s been an OC.
At D3 (before he was even agrad assistant) and D2 (where the HC was an offensive guy - not sure he called plays) schools a decade and more ago. Dan Mullen called plays at MSU. So yes, but it's tough to imagine that is much like running an NFL offense.

Last edited:

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
As with Poles and Eberflus, it's impossible to predict how good a hire this is at this point, but I like bringing in someone who was involved with such a good, well managed organization. Regardless of what his personal responsibilities were, something good should have rubbed off (yeah I know you could say the same thing about Nagy but it was his stubbornness and inability to adjust that made him suck more than anything).

This last two seasons I've been less excited about football than I ever have in 35 years of watching, because Nagy's disorganized teams just sucked the life out of it for me. Nice to have something potentially exciting to look forward to again.

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:

If Eberflus is bringing Getsby in to run a Kyle Shanahan type offense I'm all for it.

DM and Fields would feast in that scheme.

Rise

Liked Posts:
If Getsy is a huge success they should shitcan Eberflus Dallas style.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So any HC in Houston has to take Pep? Seems like a McCaskey move.

Josh McCown will probably need all the help he can get if he is to get that HC position

i was watching Adam Rank on some podcast and he is not a fan of joe Brady I dont think he said why though

Not that I'm not a fan, I just don't get the hype. Went to LSU to design plays and then he failed at the NFL level as an OC. He was never an OC or ever called plays at LSU, so maybe that OC job in the NFL was too much for him to handle. Good thing he won't be calling plays with the Bears. I'm sure the Bears could use his vertical passing designs though. Supposedly he was involved with the passing game with the Saints before going to LSU

He's never called plays at any level.

He had a very small piece of the whole in GB, apparently. His responsibility was very narrow. Again, I'm not against it. But when compared to say, Kevin O'Connell, or Joe Brady, or even Mike McDaniel, his responsibilities have been limited. That's not to say he will do poorly.

Pretty sure he called plays in college. Either way, all we can do is watch and hope that he's at least better than Nagy

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Man watching shanny’s run plays. Did Nagy use the pitch from under center or I formation or off I? It was always using QBs in shotgun.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Getsy seems like a good coach, but I will reserve judgement until I see what his offense looks like. I don't like Fields in an RPO heavy offense. Love him in an outside zone/play action style offense.