Right now, Foles isn't producing any better (an arguably worse) than Trubs..

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I was looking for an upgrade at QB when Foles came in and we got that for about 2 quarters in the Atlanta game. But since then, Foles really hasn't performed better than Trubs.

Next gen stats show Foles with a slight increase in accuracy ( -.2 vs. -1 expected comp %) & (62% vs 59% actual comp %), but lower stats than Trubs in other areas (lower QBR 80.4 vs 87.4), less average completed air yards (5.3 vs 6.7), less throws to the sticks (-1 yards vs. +2 yards ), lower TD rate (3.9 vs 6.9).

Foles is completing a few more shorter throws, while Trubs was attempting and completing more mid range throws (Aggressiveness 21% vs 33%).

Stats alone are not a fair comparison. Foles has been playing more difficult defenses, has lost Cohen and an offensive lineman. I don't think this offsets the gains of Mooney's experience, Graham's comfort with the team or Kmet finally catching 2 passes last game. Foles no doubt has had it harder than Trubs did.

But a full 7 point lower QBR? Foles is the 6th worst starting QB in the league right now QBR wise.

Fuck it. The Bears are 5-1, very likely to at least catch a wild card. Defense is on fire right now. Lets just hope Nick catches lightning in a bottle and figure this QB shit out in the offseason.

bareness

Liked Posts:
The running game for some strange reason looked better while Mitch was under center and the pass blocking but I also recognize it was the Lions, Giants, and Falcons also.

Liked Posts:
Foles is much better than the past QB who maybe gone next year. Foles can read defenses, Trubisky can't. I've watched Foles in a lot of situations and said if it was #10 in there he wouldn't/couldn't of done that. Foles is much more experienced and it shows. He's much more consistent. He's best for the team. No more 29 yds total offense at the half with Foles...can't handle the chit of the past.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I was looking for an upgrade at QB when Foles came in and we got that for about 2 quarters in the Atlanta game. But since then, Foles really hasn't performed better than Trubs.

Next gen stats show Foles with a slight increase in accuracy ( -.2 vs. -1 expected comp %) & (62% vs 59% actual comp %), but lower stats than Trubs in other areas (lower QBR 80.4 vs 87.4), less average completed air yards (5.3 vs 6.7), less throws to the sticks (-1 yards vs. +2 yards ), lower TD rate (3.9 vs 6.9).

Foles is completing a few more shorter throws, while Trubs was attempting and completing more mid range throws (Aggressiveness 21% vs 33%).

Stats alone are not a fair comparison. Foles has been playing more difficult defenses, has lost Cohen and an offensive lineman. I don't think this offsets the gains of Mooney's experience, Graham's comfort with the team or Kmet finally catching 2 passes last game. Foles no doubt has had it harder than Trubs did.

But a full 7 point lower QBR? Foles is the 6th worst starting QB in the league right now QBR wise.

Fuck it. The Bears are 5-1, very likely to at least catch a wild card. Defense is on fire right now. Lets just hope Nick catches lightning in a bottle and figure this QB shit out in the offseason.
Mentioned this yesterday and his passer rating is lower as well but I don't see going back unless we have to. Team is still better with Foles running the O right now and the players on O aren't yet intuitive to each other's tendencies. The chemistry between Foles an AR seems meh right now and in a few weeks Foles may hit that bomb to Mooney that he missed last week.

That said, It's easy to see how mitch won the competition against D he knows because Mitch has a higher skill set. Unfortunately, he lacks a football brane so lets hope Foles rubs off a bit.

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The running game for some strange reason looked better while Mitch was under center and the pass blocking but I also recognize it was the Lions, Giants, and Falcons also.
Assignments change a bit when your QB is mobile but he also had Cohen to help spread things out. I highly doubt that Mitch would have won all these games or made the comeback Foles did when he took the reigns. Foles tends to get results beyond his stats.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
What's not take into account is Foles is simply a smarter quarterback, gets rid of the ball light years faster, and typically puts them into favorable matchups. As far as the running game, the are very predictable right now. No threat of running, no threat of vertical passing, teams are giving up the underneath stuff and loading up the LOS. Until Nagy can figure out how to get 'over the top' of these defenses it's going to be tough sledding.

wonky73

Las Vegas Sorts News
Liked Posts:
I'm not gonna bother to look it up, but I am pretty sure we are under shotgun more with Foles. It's harder to run out of the shotgun in the NFL. Nagy just doesn't care.

msadows

Liked Posts:
News flash. They both suck ass

I mentioned this preseason nonstop.

That if our oline isn't much improved(it isn't) and our run game isn't improved(it isn't), that it won't matter who starts at QB.

Foles does seem like he is more comfortable in the offense, so that gives me more confidence going forward as far as improvement, but both these dudes will struggle and suck due to ineptness around them.

The idiotic playcalling doesn't help either.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
What's not take into account is Foles is simply a smarter quarterback, gets rid of the ball light years faster, and typically puts them into favorable matchups. As far as the running game, the are very predictable right now. No threat of running, no threat of vertical passing, teams are giving up the underneath stuff and loading up the LOS. Until Nagy can figure out how to get 'over the top' of these defenses it's going to be tough sledding.
The lack of over the top has been the most disappointing aspect of the change. Of course time to throw and having some some 2nd and shorts is an aspect of opportunity but we should still be taking more shots. Running game is the most disappointing aspect of the O but it's effectiveness is the same shittiness as before.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Foles is much better. The difference in the team is, with Trubisky, the Bears are bottom of that large group of mediocre teams while, with Foles, they are at the top of that same group of teams.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
The lack of over the top has been the most disappointing aspect of the change. Of course time to throw and having some some 2nd and shorts is an aspect of opportunity but we should still be taking more shots. Running game is the most disappointing aspect of the O but it's effectiveness is the same shittiness as before.

Play calling. They have to plow some people off the los before anyone is gonna respect them though. This bullshit zone stuff that they can't seem to get right needs to stop

gallagher

Ave Atque Vale
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
See, the stats aren't telling the story for who is playing better. That's an eye test, one that shows Foles hitting his targets better, seeing the field better, analyzing defenses pre-snap better, and moving through his reads better.

Trubisky's stats, or outcomes, did not give you the confidence that this offense can score points like we have with Foles.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
See, the stats aren't telling the story for who is playing better. That's an eye test, one that shows Foles hitting his targets better, seeing the field better, analyzing defenses pre-snap better, and moving through his reads better.

Trubisky's stats, or outcomes, did not give you the confidence that this offense can score points like we have with Foles.

Yep for real. When Foles drops back I am not puckering my asshole... well maybe because I'm afraid he's gonna get hurt, not because he's gonna throw a pick.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Bears don’t beat the Bucs with Mitch
Prove it! I don’t get why people say this without a caveat. Honestly it’s 50/50 he may have won he may not have. The defense is still the defense. Foles is more experienced yes, but he still makes the boneheaded plays that Mitch has made. The defense they played yesterday was putrid and he should have had a much better game......There is no going back now.

pinkfloydster

Liked Posts:

Fair question. I think if you were asking Nagy, he would say that he had to adjust an entire game plan just to get Trubisky those stats. Whereas with Foles, he can execute his game plan to arrive at those stats. Look at Rodgers stats vs Tampa Bay's defense and compare Foles' stats.