Roster cuts around the league + 53 man roster

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Seeing some of these backup types getting traded gives me hope that we'll get something for Gipson instead of just straight cutting him (if that's indeed what the Bears plan to do).

DanielCCSBears

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Cool. But they weren't claimed off waivers, which is specifically what I was asking about.

Good talk.
So what's the point? No one else has claimed anyone from the Chicago Bears that's turned out to play for another team or is it just the immediate timing that matters for you.

Is it how good the players were or just the fact they weren't claimed RIGHT AWAY.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
So what's the point? No one else has claimed anyone from the Chicago Bears that's turned out to play for another team or is it just the immediate timing that matters for you.

Is it how good the players were or just the fact they weren't claimed RIGHT AWAY.
It's the point that they weren't claimed off waivers because they weren't worth it to any team

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Has Brett figured out what a coaching tree is yet?

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Both were then added to the 53 man roster and played significant time for the Vikings last year.
And the Vikings have a freaking terrible defense. Shelley wasn’t even resigned from what I believe.

DanielCCSBears

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
And the Vikings have a freaking terrible defense. Shelley wasn’t even resigned from what I believe.
Signed with the Raiders.

Tonga got his first opportunity in a Vikings uniform in a Week 8 win over the Cardinals and didn't look back. He played at least 20 defensive snaps in ten of the final 11 games (including playoffs) and earned a very strong 77.8 grade from PFF. Not only was he fantastic against the run, Tonga also racked up ten pressures and batted down four passes in a rotational role.

Tonga looks like he might be starting in Minnesota

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Signed with the Raiders.

Tonga got his first opportunity in a Vikings uniform in a Week 8 win over the Cardinals and didn't look back. He played at least 20 defensive snaps in ten of the final 11 games (including playoffs) and earned a very strong 77.8 grade from PFF. Not only was he fantastic against the run, Tonga also racked up ten pressures and batted down four passes in a rotational role.

Yep. Tonga looked pretty promising here but then we changed the defense (Eberflus brought in) and he was no longer a good fit. The Vikings made a nice pickup with him.

Duke Shelley was never good though. He was the DB equivalent of Sam Mustipher, pretty much

DanielCCSBears

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Yep. Tonga looked pretty promising here but then we changed the defense (Eberflus brought in) and he was no longer a good fit. The Vikings made a nice pickup with him.

Duke Shelley was never good though. He was the DB equivalent of Sam Mustipher, pretty much
Maybe teams should focus so hard on scheme fit all the time and look to find good players.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I agree. They can find the backup safety they need. And maybe a better backup special teamed/RB than Homer. And a better backup IOL/swing tackle
The guys being cut by good teams will not be great players, but they could be better than the guys at the bottom of a bad teams roster.

I remember when the bottom feeders used to sign Bears castoffs. Well, right now the Bears are the bottom feeders.

You will probably not find future HOFers, of even Pro Bowlers being cut. But a bad team can improve the quality of their backups/bench players with these guys.

A decent punt returner or backup Safety, sure you can find those.

The worst team in the league can get better with other teams castoffs. Hopefully the Bears are not doing this again in a year.

Best shot is from teams that are changing schemes or late round/UDFA players that looked good in camp that they are sneaking through. It's also possible that some guys get cut due to cap issues and Poles has still got $ to work with.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Signed with the Raiders.

Lol. Tonga starting shows how little talent Minny has on the DL. The Vikings had one of the worst defenses in the league last year. Their message board is discussing drafting or signing a better NT in 2024; that he is best suited for a part time role. Jonathan freaking Bullard gets meaningful snaps in that defense.
Maybe teams should focus so hard on scheme fit all the time and look to find good players.
Duke Shelley is currently listed 8th on the Raiders depth chart.