maxhatter

Liked Posts:
OL [9]

LT: Jenkins, Hambright
LG: Whithair, Bars
C: Mustipher
RG: Daniels, Wilkerson
RT: Ifedi/Borom

I think you need to keep 9 guys on the line, with 8 active on game day, because you have a bunch of ? marks on the line and thus way you have enough guys to weather it.

The starting 5 seem locked in. I think you let Borom compete with Ifedi, but my guess is the experience wins out.

Bars showed enough last year that I think you keep him.

Hambright, may not make it, but he is the one backup with significant LT experience in case Jenkins falters or gets injured.

Short Term: This is the most enthused I have been with a group the Bears have had in a long time.
Long Term: Daniels is a free agent, we need Mustipher to continue to show improvement, and then it is all about RT. Are Ifedi or Borom the RT for the next 3-4 years?
I would not rule out the Bears signing a more experienced LT to backup Jenkins. I think you need more experience at LT than Hambright whom the Bears have penciled in at OG

napo55

Liked Posts:
It all comes down to Jenkins. If he can play LT at NFL an level the line should be fine. If not that unit faces huge question marks at LT.

This is why a lot of people lamented the loss of Leno. You can never have too much depth.

Clearly it would have been best to keep Leno and let Jenkins win the starting spot by his play. But Pace's incompetence at managing the cap and expensive free agent trades made that impossible.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Our o-line was top 3rd in the league last year. I don't know what she was going off of but this is what Cynthia Frelund from NFL Network said and she's known for being a numbers person. Take that for what you will but i just think because of the years of dealing with Leno and Massie and how they both became pretty much hated by all of us that some don't give enough credit to the o-line we had last year that wasn't that bad for all the changes that were made throughout the year because of injuries or average play by some like Coward. Getting Daniels back and adding Jenkins and Borom should only help. I could see a slow start and mistakes being made early in the season with players getting used to playing with the guy on each side of them and Jenkins taking over at LT at the next level of football but it hopefully will come together pretty quickly.

Top 3 at what?

They were horrendous when Foles was in there and better at the end of the season when we were running the training wheels offense for Mitch.

The truth is that what Nagy wants to run is going to challenge them way more than what we did late last season.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
I have more confidence in that than the "expect Leno to be anything better than average" basket.
Im 100% behind moving on from Leno but Bears need to bring in better depth for their LT than the hamburlger.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I guess I’m a little confused. Wasn’t Daniels the best lineman last year before his injury? Also, when Whitehair played his natural position at LG, PFF graded him at an elite level and he earned a Pro Bowl nod in 2016. He had a very high grade in Pass Pro last year and was above average in run blocking. Now we expect them to both be average to a little below average?

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I think Jenkins has potential to be great at LT, but I dunno about starting him there when he played RT in college.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Start him and leave him there. No more musical positions.
If that's the case, then we need Dalton to start so he gets comfortable. Let Dalton take the beating and it gives Fields a chance to learn by watching anyway.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I have more confidence in that than the "expect Leno to be anything better than average" basket.
All we heard all season was how Leno wasn't good enough. Then it was "build up the O-line". The Bears cut Leno and build up the OL with an early pick that people would have loved at 20, and now people are are upset that Leno is gone and don't trust a rookie top 20 talent at LT.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
All we heard all season was how Leno wasn't good enough. Then it was "build up the O-line". The Bears cut Leno and build up the OL with an early pick that people would have loved at 20, and now people are are upset that Leno is gone and don't trust a rookie top 20 talent at LT.
Right? TJ probably shits more talent than Leno has in his entire body of work.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
If that's the case, then we need Dalton to start so he gets comfortable. Let Dalton take the beating and it gives Fields a chance to learn by watching anyway.
If Dalton takes a beating because Jenkins isn't good at LT, then the biggest issue isn't that you're saving Fields...the issue is that you drafted a bad lineman. And he's on the roster for 4 years, so you gonna sit Fields his entire rookie contract? That's like saving Cutler until Gabe Carimi was comfortable.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Right? TJ probably shits more talent than Leno has in his entire body of work.

7th round pick vs. a guy everyone was surprised was sitting on the board at 39. Doesn't guarantee Jenkins will be any good, but the Bears clearly improved the talent at LT and on the OL in general

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think Jenkins floor is what we were getting from Leno.

I am 100% ready for a bigger, meaner, and better OL.

flabear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Orlando Magic
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tampa Bay Lightning
  1. Alabama Crimson Tide
LT: Jenkins, Hambright
LG: Whithair, Bars
C: Mustipher
RG Daniels,Borom