Roster Projection: OL

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
At least if someone gets hurt this season we have guys worth playing. Borom may have growing pains, but at least he would be developing, Bars is a solid backup, and Wilkerson has experience.

Last season we started Coward and Spriggs, neither of which should be in the NFL.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Daniels blew at Center as did Whitehair. Mustipher, IMO is better than both of them with limited snaps.
Agreed, Daniels was awful at C. Mustipher was solid.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jenkins may struggle against speed at times but he's going to beat the shit out of edge rushers when he gets hands on them. From the tape I've watched, his feet and hands are fundamentally sound. I love the gamesmanship he shows baiting rushers into moves. He's got to be an improvement over Leno even in pass pro on day 1.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Top 3 at what?

They were horrendous when Foles was in there and better at the end of the season when we were running the training wheels offense for Mitch.

The truth is that what Nagy wants to run is going to challenge them way more than what we did late last season.
That's why my next sentence was "I don't know what she was going off of" because all she said was the Bears o-line were in the top 3rd of the league last year.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
All we heard all season was how Leno wasn't good enough. Then it was "build up the O-line". The Bears cut Leno and build up the OL with an early pick that people would have loved at 20, and now people are are upset that Leno is gone and don't trust a rookie top 20 talent at LT.
............................................CCS

BearTX

Liked Posts:
All I wanted was to replace Leno, he has killed year in and out! I like LT Jenkins, LG Daniels, C. Mustipher, RG Whitehair and RT open
competition.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Ifedi is not really starting material at tackle, and no top 15 OL will have him at tackle.

bears will need 1 more tackle next year - RT if they believe in Jenkins or move him to RT and pick up a LT

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I think Jenkins floor is what we were getting from Leno.

I am 100% ready for a bigger, meaner, and better OL.
At the very least, we're getting a top 10 run blocking tackle. If he can't pass block that's an issue but Leno could not run block and he had huge lapses in the pass game. I think with Jenkins at 1 tackle spot and Whitehair at G instead of center, we could be looking at a 1/2 yard per carry better at least. Pass blocking may be marginally worse, but simply having a QB that isn't a statue half the year and one that panics like a deer in headlights after his 1st read is covered the other half of the year, should be an improvement.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
OL [9]

LT: Jenkins, Hambright
LG: Whithair, Bars
C: Mustipher
RG: Daniels, Wilkerson
RT: Ifedi/Borom

I think you need to keep 9 guys on the line, with 8 active on game day, because you have a bunch of ? marks on the line and thus way you have enough guys to weather it.

The starting 5 seem locked in. I think you let Borom compete with Ifedi, but my guess is the experience wins out.

Bars showed enough last year that I think you keep him.

Hambright, may not make it, but he is the one backup with significant LT experience in case Jenkins falters or gets injured.

Short Term: This is the most enthused I have been with a group the Bears have had in a long time.
Long Term: Daniels is a free agent, we need Mustipher to continue to show improvement, and then it is all about RT. Are Ifedi or Borom the RT for the next 3-4 years?
Wasn't the other late round 2020 drafted offensive lineman seen as having a better chance of making something out of himself?

Freddie Mitchell

The bears cause me misery
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Ohio Bobcats
I have some physical concerns about Jenkins at LT (footspeed & arm length), but this may have been our best option to get rid of Leno after we used our 1st round pick on a QB. He may not see his entire career at LT though and that would not be a failure.

I think the interior of the line is capable and better QB play should help.

Kmet was more physical run blocking that many thought he would be and can help the weakest tackle.
These days teams love putting their edge rushers on the left and right side, so those concerns would be the same at right tackle, but I think he can be really good out there hopefully he's not overwhelmed early on. I do agree the interior line will be decent and will be able to create a decent pocket for whoever is playing qb to step up in.

Freddie Mitchell

The bears cause me misery
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Ohio Bobcats
Aaron Donald was looking forward to eating Germain Ifedi’s lunch on Monday night.

Donald spoke with ESPN’s announcers before “Monday Night Football” between his Los Angeles Rams and the Chicago Bears at SoFi Stadium in Inglewood, Calif. Donald apparently shared with the announcers that he was eager for his matchup with Ifedi. The offensive lineman switched positions from tackle with Seattle to guard with Chicago, and Donald thinks that has hurt Ifedi.

“We asked Aaron Donald about [the switch] and he said ‘he just looks uncomfortable in there at guard.’ He’s like, ‘quite honestly, I’m looking forward to the opportunity,'” ESPN’s announcers shared during the game.
Yeah not sure Ifedi is the answer at guard or even tackle, but hopefully he can be serviceable this year. Also I am positive about James Daniels playing well and securing another contract.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
OL [9]

I think you need to keep 9 guys on the line, with 8 active on game day, because you have a bunch of ? marks on the line and thus way you have enough guys to weather it.

The starting 5 seem locked in. I think you let Borom compete with Ifedi, but my guess is the experience wins out.

Hambright, may not make it, but he is the one backup with significant LT experience in case Jenkins falters or gets injured.

Short Term: This is the most enthused I have been with a group the Bears have had in a long time.
Long Term: Daniels is a free agent, we need Mustipher to continue to show improvement, and then it is all about RT. Are Ifedi or Borom the RT for the next 3-4 years?
“Bars showed enough last year that I think you keep him.”

Bars can play any position on the o-line. He even played a game at center which he had never done before and did a reasonably good job. He’s a lock.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
“Bars showed enough last year that I think you keep him.”

Bars can play any position on the o-line. He even played a game at center which he had never done before and did a reasonably good job. He’s a lock.
Honestly the depth isn't terrible. Borom/Ifedi, Bars, and Wilkerson can all play G or T as back up. That's at least nice flexibility. Bars and Ifedi/Borom I think will be serviceable. Wilkerson I'd rather not see, but he is better than the depth last year.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Honestly the depth isn't terrible. Borom/Ifedi, Bars, and Wilkerson can all play G or T as back up. That's at least nice flexibility. Bars and Ifedi/Borom I think will be serviceable. Wilkerson I'd rather not see, but he is better than the depth last year.
I agree. The line in general was pretty decent before Daniels went down other than the fact Leno had fallen off the cliff of mediocrity and landed in the pit of awful. His lack of production and propensity for pre-snap penalties brought the whole group down.

Once Mustipher was installed at center, they were at least able to slay the bums on the last 1/3 of the schedule.

I’m excited to see what Jenkins can do for the group. He’s a major upgrade from a pure talent perspective.

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
I don't feel great about Jenkins at LT as much as I do RT. I don't know what it is about Ryan Pace, but he seems to refuse to play guys at their most natural position on the OL. I think he does too much shuffling around instead of letting guys grow in one spot.

Jenkins ultimately moves to RT, and Borom either is a backup RT or he moves to guard. That's my prediction.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
OL [9]

I gotta tell you, I think last year's bring the nasty, Eiselen, is going to make a push for RG. I mean, due to injuries last year, he was promoted to the active roster once, so maybe he can bring that nasty to the line and push either Wilkerson or Bars away from the Back up G position.

Not to get too ahead of myself, but he may, eventually, make Daniels' fifth year option more expendable.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I think Daniels should be LG, Cody on right. Cody has more experience and might be bigger help to rookie LT than Daniels.

That said, Daniels is more athletic than Whitehair, so guess I’ll trust Juan and his staff to work out who’s best where.

LOL A raging moron that thinks he knows something!!!

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Wasn't the other late round 2020 drafted offensive lineman seen as having a better chance of making something out of himself?
Hambright is the one that was active and played.

I think they could sign a veteran to backup LT, but Hambright is the backup with experience at that spot as we sit here.

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
This is one lineman better at best playing out of position!!!! Idedi blows as does mustipher.

Could have signed Fischer maybe or Schwartz. Schwartz or Jenkins are easily better than both ifedi and their other tackle!!!!