Roster Projection: WR and TE

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Miller's career averages per season in yards and TDs are higher than Byrd's and Goodwin's combined in both categories.

Goodwin and Byrd are just "meh"
Miller has talent but chooses not to get the most out of it

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Goodwin and Byrd are just "meh"
Miller has talent but chooses not to get the most out of it
My guess is they will keep Miller and one of Byrd or Goodwin. I think you're right on the above.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Why are people talking as if whims will be here? I know they didn't replace his height but certainly replaced him in terms of talent.
Well we're probably only keeping 6 WR's especially if we can't trade Foles or cut him and have 3 QB's on the opening game roster.

ARob
Mooney
Miller
Goodwin
D.Newsome
D.Byrd
J.Wims
R.Ridley

2 gotta go.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My guess is they will keep Miller and one of Byrd or Goodwin. I think you're right on the above.

All of this hype around B&G is just the usual camp hope. Chances are they don't make a difference in the offense

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
I've already drafted Monty as my #2 RB in multiple mocks i've done. I have no issue with him as my #2 RB at all.
i think he'll have his highest yardage output but i do agree that once Fields is on the scene he may poach a few goal line TD's

UK_STALEY

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He played 60 special teams snaps AKA 13% of them. Only 28% of the offensive snaps so his run blocking isn't anything worth keeping him for. He only played so much at the end of the year because Trubisky was so ineffective throwing down the field, Miller was ineffective in general, and Mooney got hurt. The Bears don't have enough offensive firepower to keep a skill player for run blocking and special teams.
I didn’t say there was a ton of value, how many passing targets on those offensive snaps? And do any of Ridley, Byrd, Goodwin or Newsome project to make up those ST snaps?

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well we're probably only keeping 6 WR's especially if we can't trade Foles or cut him and have 3 QB's on the opening game roster.

ARob
Mooney
Miller
Goodwin
D.Newsome
D.Byrd
J.Wims
R.Ridley

2 gotta go.
Wims and Dazzle Newsome easily.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I didn’t say there was a ton of value, how many passing targets on those offensive snaps? And do any of Ridley, Byrd, Goodwin or Newsome project to make up those ST snaps?
Newsome does, yes. But again, there aren't many ST snaps to replace as I said. And he was sparingly used in coverage. A WR doesn't have to make up those. Herbert can. Thomas Graham can. A backup LB can. Any of the backup DBs. Jordan Lucas opted out last year and was a special teams stalwart in KC before 2020, he most certainly can if he makes the roster.

And there was 12 passing targets in 268 offensive snaps.

UK_STALEY

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Newsome does, yes. But again, there aren't many ST snaps to replace as I said. And he was sparingly used in coverage. A WR doesn't have to make up those. Herbert can. Thomas Graham can. A backup LB can. Any of the backup DBs. Jordan Lucas opted out last year and was a special teams stalwart in KC before 2020, he most certainly can if he makes the roster.

And there was 12 passing targets in 268 offensive snaps.
Yeah, that seems plausible, more likely a WR or DB as a like for like though eh?

So those are the stats on offense that lean toward him being seen more as a blocker or route runner than a pass catcher. He was the WR4 based on use so I don’t think it’s as guaranteed he’s gone as some think

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
If he's still starting when Fields does, Fields only needs to understand and trust his routes for miller to stick. Miller will never be a great programmed route runner but if he an Fields are on the same page, it won't matter.
I was thinking the same thing.

Miller is a great sandlot player. I kind of think that Fields could work with that.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
If wims doesn't make the team, I'll bark like a dog
The sad thing is that someone on some podcast said that Wims looks much bigger and stronger.

Potential TE project ... if he weren't a headcase.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
What do y'all think of Jake Butt's chances of making it?
The only chance he has if he can show that he is back physically to his college years, and that would still be a risk because of his type of injury.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
for whatever reason, Ridley hasn't had many chances and when he's had a few, he made every catch thrown to him. I think in as man games as he played, his stats were better than Wims for the year, I don't get it.

But then again, Nagy started Coward for two years, he's fucking clueless.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
for whatever reason, Ridley hasn't had many chances and when he's had a few, he made every catch thrown to him. I think in as man games as he played, his stats were better than Wims for the year, I don't get it.

But then again, Nagy started Coward for two years, he's fucking clueless.
Yeah, i would have liked to see him get more opportunities. Has the Bears coaching staff ever come out and say why he doesn't get more opportunity?

CC: @zack54attack what do we know?

Decatur Staley

CBMB Legend
Donator
Liked Posts:
Miller's career averages per season in yards and TDs are higher than Byrd's and Goodwin's combined in both categories.

That's just flat out untrue:

Career GamesRecYardsTDAVG ReceptionsAVG YardsAVG TD's
Miller
47​
134​
1564​
11​
Goodwin
75​
140​
2323​
13​
Byrd
44​
91​
1092​
4​
Combined3.955.80.26

It's also intellectually lazy...

Miller was a 2nd round pick and was instantly slotted in as a starter on the team. At best, he's been a disappointing but steady contributor. At worst, he's gotten less and less effective and has become a distraction at times.

Byrd was undrafted and kicked around the league... Spent 1 years on the panther practice squad, but has improved each year and last year broke out with the patriots (with very weak QB play). Byrd ran a 4.28 40-yard dash during a draft workout and was considered a project coming out of school.

Goodwin was a third round pick that ran a 4.27 40 at the combine.... His best season was 56 receptions for 962 yards (17 YPC)... A number that Miller has never come close to matching (his highest YPC is 12.8). Goodwin's biggest issue has been staying healthy and available.

To summarise: Miller is trending down / Byrd is trending up / Goodwin is better than both (when healthy).

Last edited: