Round 2 & Beyond

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
And, I don't now, nor have I ever had a problem doing both. It just makes more sense to build a foundation of youth and continuity through player development and subsidize that talent with FA's rather than build a foundation of FA's and try to subsidize that talent through youth, especially when the player development aspect of the franchise was basically ignored from early 2000's to the end of 2010.

That sounds like a pot-shot. Will, you are living in the past in which you just stated that you don't like to do.

I guess the staff should start another thread for the "All Things Hendry/Tribune" for people to vent.

Willrust

Liked Posts:
Tell us Boo, who do you want the Cubs to draft so we can get this back on topic.

Willrust

Liked Posts:
Already said who I wanted. No need for me to repeat it.

You mentioned Dozier and Jagielo; so do you hope the Cubs focus on position prospects or is it just those 2 specific players that you are high on?

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
I never said that the draft is the only way to build a foundation. I said, "They have chosen to put more stock in the building the foundation of the franchise through acquiring talented prospects, and the draft is still the best way to acquire young, inexpensive, controllable talent."

Bullshit.

You argue against the signing of every decent FA and overhype prospects like Brandon Wood as the greatest things ever.

No one has said to write the draft off, yet you whine that is what people are saying.

People are saying to do BOTH things. You are saying to do just one.

patg006

Liked Posts:
You mentioned Dozier and Jagielo; so do you hope the Cubs focus on position prospects or is it just those 2 specific players that you are high on?

Im not that high on Jags or Dozier, but I like Puk and another in round 3, Andy Knapp from Cal. Catcher; with this as analysis.

A switch-hitter with a fast bat and great plate coverage. Knapp is a disciplined hitter with solid raw power, and generates great leverage at the plate. He rotates smoothly and hits through the ball. His swings from both sides are similar. He’s imperfect on D, but the bat could carry him even if he does end up at first base or in right field

His versatility is a big thing to like. Couldnt hurt as he was an all american, and is a junior at 21 years old. Shouldnt spend much time in the minors, I can see him popping up and starting at high A/AA.

http://www.calbears.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/andrew_knapp_739690.html

AmericanFlyer1

Liked Posts:
Bullshit.

You argue against the signing of every decent FA and overhype prospects like Brandon Wood as the greatest things ever.

No one has said to write the draft off, yet you whine that is what people are saying.

People are saying to do BOTH things. You are saying to do just one.

Yep, and now that his BS is called out it's all about "getting back on topic" now. It's getting really pathetic. Sorry, it was already pathetic.

Willrust

Liked Posts:
Im not that high on Jags or Dozier, but I like Puk and another in round 3, Andy Knapp from Cal. Catcher; with this as analysis.

A switch-hitter with a fast bat and great plate coverage. Knapp is a disciplined hitter with solid raw power, and generates great leverage at the plate. He rotates smoothly and hits through the ball. His swings from both sides are similar. He’s imperfect on D, but the bat could carry him even if he does end up at first base or in right field

His versatility is a big thing to like. Couldnt hurt as he was an all american, and is a junior at 21 years old. Shouldnt spend much time in the minors, I can see him popping up and starting at high A/AA.

http://www.calbears.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/andrew_knapp_739690.html

Knapp was a teammate of Chadd Krist who is currently the best catching prospect in the cubs farm system.

Puk would make sense in the 2nd. If Bobby Wahl falls to the 2nd round, the Cubs should give him a serious look. He could be a quick turnaround player that could plug into the bullpen in 2014.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm sorry, what posts of substance or worth have you contributed?

I'd say I'll hold my breath......but. Probably shouldnt knowing the 'masterpieces' your brain pumps out...

lol here comes batman's sidekick.

patg006

Liked Posts:
lol here comes batman's sidekick.

HA! Ok there tough guy.

Funny you of all people are going to talk about "putting thoughts into posts." Really showcases your brilliance. You must really ruin a kindergartener's day.

patg006

Liked Posts:
Knapp was a teammate of Chadd Krist who is currently the best catching prospect in the cubs farm system.

Puk would make sense in the 2nd. If Bobby Wahl falls to the 2nd round, the Cubs should give him a serious look. He could be a quick turnaround player that could plug into the bullpen in 2014.

From what I've read, Knapp will make it because of his bat. He was called imperfect behind the plate, and is much like Ryan Doumit in terms of player analogy.

Also saw Almora's teammate at Mater Dei Jeremy Martinez. More power than Knapp, doesnt hit for contact as much, bigger body too.

Danny Collins from Troy is a kid I'd keep an eye on if he can fall to round 4. 3B from troy who was red hot in cape cod league 2012 then was excellent at Troy in 13.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
What if Sean Manaea dropped to the Cubs second round pick after they draft either Mark Appel or Jonathan Gray? That would be cool but I don't think he will drop that far.

Willrust

Liked Posts:
What if Sean Manaea dropped to the Cubs second round pick after they draft either Mark Appel or Jonathan Gray? That would be cool but I don't think he will drop that far.

Several mocks have him falling to the Supplemental round, but haven't seen one with him getting to Houston in the 2nd. If he did fall that far, I don't see Houston passing him up (although it would be interesting).

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Several mocks have him falling to the Supplemental round, but haven't seen one with him getting to Houston in the 2nd. If he did fall that far, I don't see Houston passing him up (although it would be interesting).
Well since Houston's whole draft strategy seems to be to save cash for overslots later, I highly doubt Manaea would slide past them at 41. Now perhaps if the Cubs grabbed a supplemental round, or whatever they are actually called now, pick like Kansas City's then it might get interesting.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well since Houston's whole draft strategy seems to be to save cash for overslots later, I highly doubt Manaea would slide past them at 41. Now perhaps if the Cubs grabbed a supplemental round, or whatever they are actually called now, pick like Kansas City's then it might get interesting.

Can they trade for that pick now to use this year, or do they have to do the trade after the next set of comp balance picks are awarded to try that next year?

Only asking because I heard someone (it might even be you) say that there's a stipulation for these picks in terms of when they can be traded and used.