Round 2 & Beyond

patg006

Liked Posts:
Well since Houston's whole draft strategy seems to be to save cash for overslots later, I highly doubt Manaea would slide past them at 41. Now perhaps if the Cubs grabbed a supplemental round, or whatever they are actually called now, pick like Kansas City's then it might get interesting.

He wont fall past St. Louis at 19 (or 28.) I would be surprised as hell and actually want to see KC's 34 pick come to us somehow. Cubs dont pick again after 2 until 41st. By then, hopefully AJ Puk is still around. Big, intimidating lefty HS product who's one of the best HS prospects this draft.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Can they trade for that pick now to use this year, or do they have to do the trade after the next set of comp balance picks are awarded to try that next year?

Only asking because I heard someone (it might even be you) say that there's a stipulation for these picks in terms of when they can be traded and used.
I've heard both to be honest, and I don't feel like rereading the CBA again. I believe that they can trade picks for this draft at this point, but I would be surprised if any were moved at this point of the season.

He wont fall past St. Louis at 19 (or 28.) I would be surprised as hell and actually want to see KC's 34 pick come to us somehow. Cubs dont pick again after 2 until 41st. By then, hopefully AJ Puk is still around. Big, intimidating lefty HS product who's one of the best HS prospects this draft.
I actually wouldn't be shocked if TO picked him at 10. Either way, there is virtually no chance he makes it to the Cubs second round pick is the bottom line.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Can they trade for that pick now to use this year, or do they have to do the trade after the next set of comp balance picks are awarded to try that next year
?

http://realdirtymets.com/2011/11/30/mlb-to-introduce-the-trading-of-draft-picks-in-2013/

MLB To Introduce The Trading Of Draft Picks In 2013
Mets, Mr. North Jersey, Real Dirty Mets Blog, TRDM by Mr North Jersey
Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com wrote an interesting article explaining the “Competitive Balance Lottery” in the new CBA. In it one of the items he mentions is how teams that qualify for the Competitive Balance Lottery will be allowed to trade those draft picks.
According to Mayo the teams will be a crossover of the 10 smallest market teams and the 10 lowest revenue teams. The teams eligible for the 1st lottery are the Diamond backs, Orioles, Indians, Royals, A’s, Pirates, Padres, Rays, Reds, Rockies, Marlins, Brewers and Cardinals.
Regarding the trading of those picks Mayo explains the conditions and limitations as follows.
“Only a team that wins a pick in the lottery can trade it, meaning that selection can be traded just once. It can’t be sold for cash, and it may only be dealt during the season. Trading can commence the day after the lottery is held and is allowed until the end of that regular season. So seeing a lottery pick or two involved in some July 31 Trade Deadline deals is a distinct possibility. They cannot be included in any Winter Meetings deals, however, with trading of picks again permitted at the beginning of the following regular season. “
Mayo also goes on to explain that there will be a second lottery “for picks forfeited by teams going over their allotted bonus pools.” Teams that did not go over their allotted bonus pools will be in that lottery.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
?

http://realdirtymets.com/2011/11/30/mlb-to-introduce-the-trading-of-draft-picks-in-2013/

MLB To Introduce The Trading Of Draft Picks In 2013
Mets, Mr. North Jersey, Real Dirty Mets Blog, TRDM by Mr North Jersey
Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com wrote an interesting article explaining the “Competitive Balance Lottery” in the new CBA. In it one of the items he mentions is how teams that qualify for the Competitive Balance Lottery will be allowed to trade those draft picks.
According to Mayo the teams will be a crossover of the 10 smallest market teams and the 10 lowest revenue teams. The teams eligible for the 1st lottery are the Diamond backs, Orioles, Indians, Royals, A’s, Pirates, Padres, Rays, Reds, Rockies, Marlins, Brewers and Cardinals.
Regarding the trading of those picks Mayo explains the conditions and limitations as follows.
“Only a team that wins a pick in the lottery can trade it, meaning that selection can be traded just once. It can’t be sold for cash, and it may only be dealt during the season. Trading can commence the day after the lottery is held and is allowed until the end of that regular season. So seeing a lottery pick or two involved in some July 31 Trade Deadline deals is a distinct possibility. They cannot be included in any Winter Meetings deals, however, with trading of picks again permitted at the beginning of the following regular season. “
Mayo also goes on to explain that there will be a second lottery “for picks forfeited by teams going over their allotted bonus pools.” Teams that did not go over their allotted bonus pools will be in that lottery.

THERE it is. When were last year's comp balance picks awarded? If that's the case then the Cubs can't grab any more comp picks anyway...right?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
THERE it is. When were last year's comp balance picks awarded? If that's the case then the Cubs can't grab any more comp picks anyway...right?
I think the Mayo article pretty clearly states that draft picks could be traded again at the start of the regular season.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
They cannot be included in any Winter Meetings deals, however, with trading of picks again permitted at the beginning of the following regular season. “

Missed that part. Oops.

But yeah, it'd be tough to deprive a team of their comp pick since the draft happens nearly two months before the deadline.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Trading can commence the day after the lottery is held and is allowed until the end of that regular season. So seeing a lottery pick or two involved in some July 31 Trade Deadline deals is a distinct possibility.

just throwing it out there, of these teams Diamondbacks, Orioles, Indians, Royals, A’s, Pirates, Padres, Rays, Reds, Rockies, Marlins, Brewers and Cardinals that own a pick, maybe the Orioles could be a team that uses such player in a deal for Soriano..

But yeah, it'd be tough to deprive a team of their comp pick since the draft happens nearly two months before the deadline.

team can always draft a player that a trade partner wants (agreed too) and trade him later before the deadline..

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
team can always draft a player that a trade partner wants (agreed too) and trade him later before the deadline..

You can't trade a draft pick until a year after they signed. I thought PTBNL had to be agreed upon six months after the trade.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Unless im reading it wrong regarding the lottery picks..

Trading can commence the day after the lottery is held and is allowed until the end of that regular season. So seeing a lottery pick or two involved in some July 31 Trade Deadline deals is a distinct possibility.

Willrust

Liked Posts:
The competitive balance picks between the end of round 1 and the start of round 2 can be traded. However, I read at bleacher nation that the cutoff to trade for these picks had passed. The competitive balance picks for the 2014 draft will be announced in July and teams can begin trading them right after they are announced.

Teams cannot trade a drafted player until after the following year's draft, ie, a player drafted in 2013 cannot be traded until after the 2014 draft. Teams could utilize the PTBNL aspect to include these players, however a PTBNL in a 2013 deal has to be named before the end of the baseball year typically 1-2 weeks after the World Series.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Unless im reading it wrong regarding the lottery picks..

I was referring to the scenario of one team drafting a player for another team not the trading of the draft pick themselves.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was referring to the scenario of one team drafting a player for another team not the trading of the draft pick themselves.

I don't think that's practical or realistic because that player would technically be under the drafting team's control for the year of time he is not allowed to be traded. The drafting team won't waste time and resources developing and grooming a player that they're not even going to keep, and the team that will get him won't really lend any clue as to their organizational development secrets either. But that's just my opinion.

chibears55

Liked Posts:

The competitive balance picks between the end of round 1 and the start of round 2 can be traded. However, I read at bleacher nation that the cutoff to trade for these picks had passed. The competitive balance picks for the 2014 draft will be announced in July and teams can begin trading them right after they are announced.

ok, so the only thing they can trade now til the end of season is their spot in the 2014 or future lottery draft..
heres my question, is it always those same 13 teams..

Diamondbacks, Orioles, Indians, Royals, A’s, Pirates, Padres, Rays, Reds, Rockies, Marlins, Brewers and Cardinals.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
The teams who get into that comp balance lottery are either the ones with really shitty records or the ones in the smallest markets, I forget which. Depending on how the local ratings and team revenues stack up I think it could change, but my understanding is that there is almost no way you would ever see the LA, Chicago or NY teams in this lottery.

Willrust

Liked Posts:
ok, so the only thing they can trade now til the end of season is their spot in the 2014 or future lottery draft..
heres my question, is it always those same 13 teams..

Diamondbacks, Orioles, Indians, Royals, A’s, Pirates, Padres, Rays, Reds, Rockies, Marlins, Brewers and Cardinals.

No. MLB determines who gets the competitive balance picks and that determination will be made in July for the 2014 draft. I believe that these picks are based upon team revenue, how they spend their revenue sharing money (teams that spend their revenue sharing money on payroll receive additional consideration for a higher competitive balance pick) and the number of players they lost during the previous FA period.

There are also compensatory picks for the teams that lose type A free agents. The Braves received a compensatory pick from the Indians because the Indians signed Michael Boarn (type A FA) and their draft pick was inside the top 10. Subsequently, the Indians do not have a 2nd round pick due to the signing. The Mets, who pick 11th because the Pirates failed to sign Mark Appel and received the #9 pick in this years draft, would have lost their #11 pick to the Braves if they had signed Bourn. They were seeking special consideration due to the fact that they would have had a protected pick if the Pirates had signed Appel. If the appeal for the Mets would have been approved, the Braves would have received a compensatory pick between rounds 1 & 2.

Here is a link that shows the draft picks and what teams lost/gained what in terms of picks. Remember that the Pirates picking up the #9 pick this year pushed everyone back 1 space (Rangers got pick 23 instead of pick 22 from the Angels due to the Angels signing Josh Hamilton).

http://www.mymlbdraft.com/2013/mlb-draft-results-round-1

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
CBA abolished Type A/B. It's now based on qualifying offers.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111130&content_id=26059392

There is a link explaining the competitive balance picks.

Still trying to wrap my head around mlb justifying the Cardinals as needing a competitive balance pick. Also, Phoenix and San Diego are two of the ten most populace cities in the US.

Right, but the population doesn't always translate to true market share or something. I think their formula is broken and unfair, but that's MLB for ya.

Willrust

Liked Posts:
CBA abolished Type A/B. It's now based on qualifying offers.

It is still Type A, they just don't use that designation. The new "type A" determination is if the player is one of the top 125 players in baseball, and their previous team gave them a qualifying offer, which will be right around 14M for 2013 offseason.

BTW, what if the Cubs keep Scott Feldman and give him a qualifying offer? Worst case scenario, he accepts and the Cubs are on the hook to him for 14M but could still trade him either in the offseason or at the deadline next year (and likely have to pick up some of the money). If he declines for a multi year deal, Cubs get compensatory pick at worst.

Willrust

Liked Posts:
It is still Type A, they just don't use that designation. The new "type A" determination is if the player is one of the top 125 players in baseball, and their previous team gave them a qualifying offer, which will be right around 14M for 2013 offseason.

BTW, what if the Cubs keep Scott Feldman and give him a qualifying offer? Worst case scenario, he accepts and the Cubs are on the hook to him for 14M but could still trade him either in the offseason or at the deadline next year (and likely have to pick up some of the money). If he declines for a multi year deal, Cubs get compensatory pick at worst.

from wikipedia, so take with a grain of salt:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Baseball_Draft

Current rules

For the 2012 draft, the previous "Type A" and "Type B" designations remained in place, but the CBA included special provisions that modified the statuses of 11 players who were Type A free agents under the 2007 CBA. Six of these were "Modified Type A"—meaning that the signing team did not forfeit a draft pick, but the player's former team received a compensatory pick in the same position it would have earned under regular Type A rules. The remaining five were "Modified Type B", with compensation identical to that for other Type B free agents.[34]

"Starting with the 2013 draft, free agents are no longer classified by "type". Instead, a team is only able to receive compensation if it makes its former player an offer at least equal to the average of the 125 richest contracts.[35] However, if a player is traded during the final season of his contract, his new team will be ineligible to receive any compensation.[36]"