Round 2 & Beyond

Willrust

Liked Posts:
Right, but the population doesn't always translate to true market share or something. I think their formula is broken and unfair, but that's MLB for ya.

Yeah, no shit. Still shocked that Bud didn't sneak in something to get the Brewers extra picks.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
It is still Type A, they just don't use that designation. The new "type A" determination is if the player is one of the top 125 players in baseball, and their previous team gave them a qualifying offer, which will be right around 14M for 2013 offseason.

BTW, what if the Cubs keep Scott Feldman and give him a qualifying offer? Worst case scenario, he accepts and the Cubs are on the hook to him for 14M but could still trade him either in the offseason or at the deadline next year (and likely have to pick up some of the money). If he declines for a multi year deal, Cubs get compensatory pick at worst.

I think Feldman would probably not find a job until after his draft compensation tie-in expires. He'd be even worse off than Kyle Lohse was. Feldman is solid but I don't think he's worth the $14MM. If they don't keep him they'd pretty much have to trade him. If they do keep him they should negotiate a much more team-friendly contract. I believe his best value is in a trade to a contender who's desperate for pitching, like, let's say Baltimore.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
seems then its pretty unlikely we see teams trading their lottery pick before the deadline unless their receiving a player that not only will help them In a playoff push but will be under their control for a few yrs..

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I doubt they hold onto feldman pass the deadline.. be surprise if they dont trade him as soon as teams start making offers in case he starts to struggle and they lose any value he has now

Willrust

Liked Posts:
I think Feldman would probably not find a job until after his draft compensation tie-in expires. He'd be even worse off than Kyle Lohse was. Feldman is solid but I don't think he's worth the $14MM. If they don't keep him they'd pretty much have to trade him. If they do keep him they should negotiate a much more team-friendly contract. I believe his best value is in a trade to a contender who's desperate for pitching, like, let's say Baltimore.

Baltimore could be a match. Sander Beck, Eduardo Rodriguez or Nick Delmonico would be nice youth additions for the Cubs.

I think they should try dealing with Colorado. They have a plethora of prospects in A and AA ball: RHP Daniel Winkler, RHP Chris Jensen, C Tom Murphy, SS Rosell Herrera, RHP Chad Bettis, RHP Christian Bergman or RF Kyle Parker. Any 2 of those players would be a solid haul.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I doubt they hold onto feldman pass the deadline.. be surprise if they dont trade him as soon as teams start making offers in case he starts to struggle and they lose any value he has now

Agree with that. It would have to be a contender. But I'd look to bundle Pack either Dejesus, Gregg or Barney to net a better return. Feldman's command is gaining attention this year. He is a solid 4-5 right now.