legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Looks like he’s making the line calls better than anyone in 3 years when running the ball. If he really is leading these guys already, then you’ve found a good player.

Da Bears Oregon

Liked Posts:
He has done a fantastic job so far and seems to be improving every week. The same with Santos. Eddie is toast.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Lol ok . They need a veteran at center. Let him compete if he wins it, awesome. You know how you build a mediocre offensive line? By handing jobs to UDFAs and later round picks.

edit: the lions and Texans defense sucks.

If starting a UDFA at center is good enough for the pats to win two superbowls, it's good enough for the bears.

msadows

Liked Posts:
If starting a 7th round pick is good enough at guard/center for the rams, It's good enough for us.

msadows

Liked Posts:
If starting an UDFA is good enough at center for the ravens, it's good enough for us.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Mustipher has been solid in the few games he's played. I'm just not sure if the team should just go ahead and hand him the keys next year. I would keep Daniels and Whitehair at the guard spots while pursuing someone like Chase Roullier in FA to fulfill the center spot. That way you'll still have Mustipher and Bars as depth.
Valid. But I would rather just draft a C and swing for a T in FA if moves are made to free up cap. Trey Hill out of UGA if falls to the 3rd please.

msadows

Liked Posts:
It isn't rare to find starting quality talent as UDFA's at interior OL. Most interior lineman aren't drafted high, so a lot of prospects fall. Usually some of the best UDFA's are interior lineman. Most of them don't develop, some do however.

Guard/Center has the lowest bust rate in the NFL as far as draft picks go, so it makes sense.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Valid. But I would rather just draft a C and swing for a T in FA if moves are made to free up cap. Trey Hill out of UGA if falls to the 3rd please.

There is zero money to really upgrade tackle in FA this year. As bad as leno is, you aren't finding a starting quality LT for cheap in FA.

If you want a replacement at tackle, you got to draft him.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
The thing everyone says about Mustipher is his intelligence. If he’s already very good at making the calls up front, he can be a quality NFL player.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
There is zero money to really upgrade tackle in FA this year. As bad as leno is, you aren't finding a starting quality LT for cheap in FA.

If you want a replacement at tackle, you got to draft him.
All depends on the moves to be made. Whether they trade Fuller, Foles, etc etc. I’m not saying they will be able to, but going in for Taylor Moton and drafting a LT who is good is the dream scenario.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Let's see how the final 3 games go but the bears clearly have improved line play recently; esp at center.

When's the last time we've discussed the snap? Seems like it was weekly with Whitehair.

I'd be fine with this group next year ; esp if the last 3 weeks go as well as the previous 3-5

Daniels
Mustpiher
Whitehair
Bars
Hambright
Cheap 1 year vet fa center

Then work the tackles in both the draft/fa

Tackle early (1st/2nd) to start at 1 T spot
Leno 1 more year at LT (cap strapped and likely though to start 2 rookie T)
Vet T signed (like an Ifedi....who hasn't been bad at T) as the swing guy
Develop Simmons

Better group of 10 than this year
No big signings breaking the bank
Lots of young/inexpensive guys to keep developing

msadows

Liked Posts:
All depends on the moves to be made. Whether they trade Fuller, Foles, etc etc. I’m not saying they will be able to, but going in for Taylor Moton and drafting a LT who is good is the dream scenario.

No one is taking on foles contract, and I'm not really sure how trading fuller makes this team better. He's a fantastic teammate, and his game should translate into the later years because its mostly based off of reads due to his heavy tape watching. He's gotten better basically every year here after getting tendered.

The only player you can cut is Hicks, and that doesn't make any sense either.

You're stuck with Danny T, Mack, Eddie, Fuller, etc until at least 2022.

MarkBear

?⬇️
Liked Posts:
I was talking about this in another thread:

I thought may trading Whitehair and have the line look like this:

LT - Leno
LG - Daniels
C - Mustipher
RG - Bars
RT - Rookie

this gives us some youth and financial flexibility.
No Leno has to go

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
No Leno has to go

Yes, I agree it needs to happen eventually, but Massie is definitely gone first.

If you could only keep one as a starter who do you keep and who do you replace in the 1st/2nd rd between Ifedi at RT abd Leno at LT?

Maybe if you really need the cap space you can draft a LT 1st or 2nd round, then draft another swing tackle in the early 3rd day to backup both KT abd RT behind Ifedi.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
No one is taking on foles contract, and I'm not really sure how trading fuller makes this team better. He's a fantastic teammate, and his game should translate into the later years because its mostly based off of reads due to his heavy tape watching. He's gotten better basically every year here after getting tendered.

The only player you can cut is Hicks, and that doesn't make any sense either.

You're stuck with Danny T, Mack, Eddie, Fuller, etc until at least 2022.
Never know about Foles. I agree it’s unlikely, it just depends on a lot of factors. What the draft brings, Mitch, etc. Never can tell-a team may trade for him depending on circumstances.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Yes, I agree it needs to happen eventually, but Massie is definitely gone first.

If you could only keep one as a starter who do you keep and who do you replace in the 1st/2nd rd between Ifedi at RT abd Leno at LT?

Maybe if you really need the cap space you can draft a LT 1st or 2nd round, then draft another swing tackle in the early 3rd day to backup both KT abd RT behind Ifedi.
That’s close. I think I’d rather have a high draft LT replace Leno and roll with Ifedi at RT if I had to choose.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Kreutz and other former Bears players were saying Whitehair was not making the correct blocking assignment adjustments earlier in the year. Looks like that might be the case.

greg23

Liked Posts:
That’s close. I think I’d rather have a high draft LT replace Leno and roll with Ifedi at RT if I had to choose.

That would be fine....but

It means hitting on that 1st round LEFT TACKLE and rolling him out there day 1

It means cutting and paying the price for cutting both Leno and Massie

It means paying Ifedi the going rate for fa RT

Lots of money tied up in those moves....think they roll with one of them next year (likely Leno) and cutting the other

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
He'd probably be better at RG than LG.

Daniels is more of a finesse blocker, his game translates more to the left side. Whitehair is more of a power blower, should be fine at RG.
Exactly