CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Its pretty obvious that out of Castro, Russell, or Baez. One of them is going to be traded for pitching at some point. They could keep all 3 and move Alcantara to super sub thats a good bit of people are suggesting.
They should keep them all. With Rizzo's success, players like Vogelbach will be the ones with trade value...as will MRP, etc. I can't see them trading away any of this talent on pitching until they really see what they have.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
They should keep them all. With Rizzo's success, players like Vogelbach will be the ones with trade value...as will MRP, etc. I can't see them trading away any of this talent on pitching until they really see what they have.

Cubs homerish aside, Vogelbach doesn't net you much. Consider that Vizcaino is a similar level prospect who was traded for Maholm and Reed Johnson. To get something of value you have to give something of value. So, unless, you're planning on trading a guy and developing him into a top of the rotation starter you're likely giving up a crap ton. Consider that the last 3 big time trades were this deal yesterday(top 10 prospect), Shields trade(Wil Meyers top 10 prospect) and Latos who went for Yonder Alonso and Griendal who were both top 50 IIRC. Vogelbach and someone like Almora/Soler might not even be enough for a Garza level trade.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Sox fans have spoken. Clearly a bad trade for the cubs. Subtraction by subtraction and stuff.

---> Sent from above.

ok thanks I feel better now..... do they now return to their deserted forum and discuss amongst themselves ?

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Cubs homerish aside, Vogelbach doesn't net you much. Consider that Vizcaino is a similar level prospect who was traded for Maholm and Reed Johnson. To get something of value you have to give something of value. So, unless, you're planning on trading a guy and developing him into a top of the rotation starter you're likely giving up a crap ton. Consider that the last 3 big time trades were this deal yesterday(top 10 prospect), Shields trade(Wil Meyers top 10 prospect) and Latos who went for Yonder Alonso and Griendal who were both top 50 IIRC. Vogelbach and someone like Almora/Soler might not even be enough for a Garza level trade.
I understand that. That's why I specifically stated "I can't see them trading away any of this talent on pitching until they really see what they have".

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jesse Rogers ‏@ESPNChiCubs 1m
Theo reached out to Castro's agent just to say they like what he's doing...still doesnt see moving him off SS

Patrick Mooney ‏@CSNMooney 1m
Theo calls Starlin a centerpiece to plans and says Cubs SS shouldn't be looking over his shoulder.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't know. Maybe this will work out but it just seems too skewed to me. Trading pitchers who can pitch for a good, young SS giving you 3 potential starters at one position with hopes to trade one or more for pitching. Castro could conceivably be an All-Star this year, do you move him? Do you switch one to 2B? They do have options I guess but it just seems like a strange way to do business. Funny thing is that if everything breaks right for them, they could end up with a hell of an infield.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jesse Rogers ‏@ESPNChiCubs 1m
Theo reached out to Castro's agent just to say they like what he's doing...still doesnt see moving him off SS

Patrick Mooney ‏@CSNMooney 1m
Theo calls Starlin a centerpiece to plans and says Cubs SS shouldn't be looking over his shoulder.

That some strong words from Theo considering Russell about a year to year and a half away and Baez less than a year away.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Also, I read from another source the Yankees offered the second best package. They really wanted Shark but they couldnt compare to Russell.

Liked Posts:
Rizzo has more value. They shouldn't hesitate to trade Rizzo either. Bryant could be moved to first if necessary,

By trading Samardzija, Theo is really all in with the generation coming through the system.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Also, I read from another source the Yankees offered the second best package. They really wanted Shark but they couldnt compare to Russell.

I honestly can't imagine what that would have been. Sure Gary Sanchez(35-40 depending on where you look) but then what? Mason Williams has been garbage this year and he was their only other top 100 guy. If you're talking Hammel for Sanchez maybe but Sanchez and Williams wouldn't even get you Russell in a trade let alone a 2013 1st round pick and Straily who formerly was a top 100 type. They never made sense to me unless they traded someone like Gardner but if you're trying to win why would you do that?

Anyways, know you're just passing along info and all I'm just saying if the market was truly that soft that the yankees were #2 then the haul they got from the A's is rather impressive. Hell, I think Russell, Straily and McKinney is a better package than Sanchez, Norris and Dalton Pompey which the Jays supposedly would wouldn't do albeit less pitching.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I honestly can't imagine what that would have been. Sure Gary Sanchez(35-40 depending on where you look) but then what? Mason Williams has been garbage this year and he was their only other top 100 guy. If you're talking Hammel for Sanchez maybe but Sanchez and Williams wouldn't even get you Russell in a trade let alone a 2013 1st round pick and Straily who formerly was a top 100 type. They never made sense to me unless they traded someone like Gardner but if you're trying to win why would you do that?

Anyways, know you're just passing along info and all I'm just saying if the market was truly that soft that the yankees were #2 then the haul they got from the A's is rather impressive. Hell, I think Russell, Straily and McKinney is a better package than Sanchez, Norris and Dalton Pompey which the Jays supposedly would wouldn't do albeit less pitching.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer...ees-made-big-try-for-samardzija-finish-second

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Rizzo has more value. They shouldn't hesitate to trade Rizzo either. Bryant could be moved to first if necessary,

By trading Samardzija, Theo is really all in with the generation coming through the system.
Um. No. Rizzo and Castro are the young, tested vets that will be leading the generation coming through the system. Rizzo is getting it done and signed to a friendly contract for quite a few years.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

From my understanding those guys are more really good depth than anyone with elite top end. Even if you threw a large quantity at them I'm not sure that gets you in the door. I'm not sure any of those guys is even going to be as good as Straily for instance. Honestly I feel like the Yankees were long propped up by the media in these sort of talks more so than the cubs actually being on the verge of anything with them. I mean that's sort of the media thing to do. And the cherry on top for me anyways is that with a weak system they weren't going to include Severino or Betances.

Either way, I would have been pretty disappointed with that sort of package. Even including Sanchez was a pretty meh prospect for a top 5 player.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Um. No. Rizzo and Castro are the young, tested vets that will be leading the generation coming through the system. Rizzo is getting it done and signed to a friendly contract for quite a few years.

Just like Castro. No reason to trade either of them.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I'm not sure it has if you're talking about the draft part. I can't remember if it's based on the time of the draft or the time they sign. Either way, you're probably talking about knowing before August. That being said, it's probable the PTBNL if there is one will be known within the next week or so
I think its draft day but could be wrong

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I am not saying the Cards tank seasons to acquire these prospects. But the Cubs needed to in order to stock the farm.

But the way the Cards do it is to bring up top prospects from a deep farm system. As opposed to teams who try to constantly patch too many holes with FA's. Which is what the Cubs have tried for years.
The Cards did both.