Smith to Ravens

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
2nd and a 5th is pretty solid return. Sends a pretty bad message to the team though - they are mailing it in
The message to the team is if you are seeking a market setting deal, you need to be the most impactful player at your position. Quan is not that.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
After the way he acted this off-season and his yearly early season underperformances, it felt super risky to pay him. He reeks of a guy whos gonna take the foot off the gas once he gets paid. No more headaches with the agentless player. No more puffy nipples(CC: @ThatGuyRyan ). No more awful quotes like "Chin up, chest out, sunsets, no regrets, baby". No more fake crying at the podium because your friend got traded.

More picks to maneuver in the draft or if they want to trade for a WR. More money to pay positions that actually make a difference. Smith wanted out. He got it. Even if they use that 2nd round pick to replace him, they still save $20M. If Poles can draft, this is a great move. If he cant, it doesnt matter either way.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
In addition to the 9 picks, I read they have a chance for a 7th round comp pick. The way Poles trades back, he might end up with 15 selections.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Who was saying? People on CCS? Never saw anything anywhere else besides the rumor that the Bears wanted two 1st round picks for him.
Here you go. Was just going to post this article that ran BEFORE the season started.

2nd and a 5th exactly

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
We are tanking. We got extra picks and saving money that we can use at other positions. Let's all be honest; we are not competing until 24.
This is a big IF, but IF Fields continues ascending and Poles is able to get some solid skill guys there is no reason Bears can't be in the WC hunt next year. The NFC is a wreck and the NFCN is not a good division. But agreed, a deep playoff run is probably 2+ years away

RubberBanMan

I’m just a fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
Anybody know Edmunds’ status on the bills? I remember slightly preferring him over roquan in that draft

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
To the people who don’t think a 2nd and 5th are enough, what did you expect?
If Roquan were to hit the FA market he would be one of the top 5 free agents. We have plenty of money to spend the next few seasons, not plenty of great defensive leaders. We aren't going to be able to easily fill the hole. Say we use the 2nd rd pick to draft a LB that maybe could fill the gap Roquan is leaving...we will have to pay him along with every other draft pick in 4 years.

The point Im trying to get at is that it is OK to overpay a guy like Roquan while Justin is on his rookie deal. Pay him upfront the next two years when there is plenty of cap space. You have a good young player and there is no need to trade him in hopes you can maybe find another like him.

If we are getting rud if him I want a deal that incorporates two high draft picks. (1st through 3rd rd). It's not like the Ravens are picking at the bottom of the draft. That way we have two solid shots to find a player as good as Roquan, regardless of position.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Cmon this is fucking horrible. Smith is 25 never hurt, all pro. We can’t even get one fucking 1st? Panthers can get 4 picks for mcaffrey who will be hurt in 4 games.

Beardown34

Liked Posts:

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
I said since the offseason holdout Bears should trade him if they arent close to a # they would be willing to sign him at - so generally in favor of this move. Questionable timing but maybe this or better wasnt on the table in offseason. Maybe it was though.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is a big IF, but IF Fields continues ascending and Poles is able to get some solid skill guys there is no reason Bears can't be in the WC hunt next year. The NFC is a wreck and the NFCN is not a good division. But agreed, a deep playoff run is probably 2+ years away

No reason? How about no defense?

jive

Liked Posts:
I get that there's some business decisions related to Quinn and Roquan. However, as a fan, this is going to make this season hard to watch. Not because I'm in love with those players, but because the defense was one of the things that made the games competitive and watchable. However if we can stay competitive without those 2, then we know we have a pretty good coaching staff on hand. But, even then, I'm not sure coaching can do much with the dearth of talent we have now.

2023 and 2024 have to be pretty damn good for us to put up with the rest of this season. Otherwise, this season is just a kick in the nuts.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
How many draft picks will it take to replace the top tackler in the NFL and the top pressure DE on the team in 2022 and one of the top sack artists in 2021?

These trades do not happen in a vacuum ... or on Madden. People need to consider the ramifications of the trades.

Let's take Smith as an example because he is still quite young.

Chances are high that the Bears will not be able to replace Smith's production with a 2nd and 5th round pick even if both of those picks were linebackers.

What will probably happen is that the Bears will pay 2023-type-Roquan-Smith-compensation for some free agent LBer who is a shadow of Roquan's performance.

I guess the Bears can bring in a ton of offensive players with all of their wealth of draft picks in the early rounds and hope to find their defensive "Braxton Jones" in the later rounds.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Here you go. Was just going to post this article that ran BEFORE the season started.

2nd and a 5th exactly
So one writer pretty much nailed it. Got it

Thanks for posting.

Sicario

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If Roquan were to hit the FA market he would be one of the top 5 free agents. We have plenty of money to spend the next few seasons, not plenty of great defensive leaders. We aren't going to be able to easily fill the hole. Say we use the 2nd rd pick to draft a LB that maybe could fill the gap Roquan is leaving...we will have to pay him along with every other draft pick in 4 years.

The point Im trying to get at is that it is OK to overpay a guy like Roquan while Justin is on his rookie deal. Pay him upfront the next two years when there is plenty of cap space. You have a good young player and there is no need to trade him in hopes you can maybe find another like him.

If we are getting rud if him I want a deal that incorporates two high draft picks. (1st through 3rd rd). It's not like the Ravens are picking at the bottom of the draft. That way we have two solid shots to find a player as good as Roquan, regardless of position.
One injury to Lamar and we will have a high 2nd and 5th round pick.