So.... about that Eddie Goldman extension...

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Does signing Mack impact the re-signing of Eddie Goldman?

Godzilla

Liked Posts:
I certainly hope not, but the move was still worth it regardless.

Newblood

Liked Posts:
Yes.

But from what I understand, Bears are only taking the $13.8M cap hit this year and not the full $23+M.

So extending Goldman is still doable

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
They have enough space to extend Goldman but will probably have to wait on Amos.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't know how they're going to proceed with Goldman or Amos' contracts. Salary cap will keep going up year on year so they will have space for both contracts and could just as easily roll over what is left over this year into next year should they choose to go that route. I also presume we will end up cutting dead weight like Dion Sims.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Pace was asked about that during the presser yesterday and he didn't give give a yes or no and said something like they talked about all of that before making the Mack trade or they took all of that into account before the trade. So no solid answer obviously but as i've always said teams can always find ways to create cap space and i can't see them letting Goldman get away. I would think it would happen soon if it was gonna happen though and not sure what they're thinking about Amos.

Who's more important to our team out of Amos and Goldman? Gotta be Goldman.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Getting a good NT or good SS is easier than an elite pass rusher. So while I would prefer we sign both, it is not the end of the world if one or both move on.

Godzilla

Liked Posts:
Getting a good NT or good SS is easier than an elite pass rusher. So while I would prefer we sign both, it is not the end of the world if one or both move on.

Agreed, and I believe Amos is a bit overrated. He's good not great.

dabears584

Bears Fan For Life TT&T
Liked Posts:
Ranking the defense:

Mack
Hicks
Smith (if he lives up to his potential)
Fuller
Amos
Floyd
Goldman
Jackson
Amukamara
Trevathan
Bullard

when the time does come when tough choices need to be made they need to make sure they have their #1 pass rusher OLB, Mack, signed; their #1 DL, Hicks, signed; their #1 ILB, Smith, signed; their #1 CB, Fuller, signed; their #1 S, Amos, signed. From there they work on the #2 OLB, #2 DL, #2 ILB, #2 S, #2 CB. In a lot of cases well you want to retain all your #1 guys but have to let some of your #2 guys go or depending on age and salary that #2 becomes your #1 and draft picks are always being developed and they become your #2. It's a process that will work itself out and I'm sure Pace knows what he's doing.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
bears have about 10 mill in space for 2018...roll that over, cut sims and save 6 mill. bears should have about 34 mill in space accounting for the draft class in 2019...

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Bears not having two first round picks probably saves us some money. Can someone do a cap breakdown?

dennehy

Liked Posts:
For Goldman and Amos, the $ in 2019 is what matters. Assuming no more moves this year, they will roll over about $10mil. If the salary cap increases at the rate its been increasing recently, it will be about $187mil. Add in the Bears' roll over, and the Bear's have a cap of about $197. As of right now they have $165 in expenditures for 2019, and their rookie pool will be very small with no first or second rounder. There are a few possible cuts to save $:
Simms ($6mil) - almost certain
Trevathan ($6.4m)
Long ($5.5m)

and a few others like Acho, McMannis, Sowell who would clear a little more. Chase Daniel could also clear his entire $6m - not sure they would do that.

You're looking at something like $30-50 to spend, but they probably won't want to bump up against their cap because it would hurt them in the future.

So, there probably will be room to extend Goldman and or Amos. Although the more guys you extend, the more difficult it gets to extend guys down the line. A good problem to have, and one we aren't used to.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
For Goldman and Amos, the $ in 2019 is what matters. Assuming no more moves this year, they will roll over about $10mil. If the salary cap increases at the rate its been increasing recently, it will be about $187mil. Add in the Bears' roll over, and the Bear's have a cap of about $197. As of right now they have $165 in expenditures for 2019, and their rookie pool will be very small with no first or second rounder. There are a few possible cuts to save $:
Simms ($6mil) - almost certain
Trevathan ($6.4m)
Long ($5.5m)

and a few others like Acho, McMannis, Sowell who would clear a little more. Chase Daniel could also clear his entire $6m - not sure they would do that.

You're looking at something like $30-50 to spend, but they probably won't want to bump up against their cap because it would hurt them in the future.

So, there probably will be room to extend Goldman and or Amos. Although the more guys you extend, the more difficult it gets to extend guys down the line. A good problem to have, and one we aren't used to.

If anyone wonders why I feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall this is a perfect example.

If we cut the whole offense and special teams and afford a really great defense. Defense is what wins games...just not in this reality.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I dont think Amos is going to be as expensive to resign as many believe, and I wouldnt be surprised to see him replaced. But I do like his growth last year, and would love to see him sign a new contract with us.

Goldman, however, I would make a priority to resign. He has the raw strength to beat a lot lineman in one-on-one situations. Right now, with Mack and Hicks getting extra attention for being able able to blow up any given play, he is going to see a lot of those opportunities.

Resigning these two lets us focus our draft capital on depth at OLB and T.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
If anyone wonders why I feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall this is a perfect example.

If we cut the whole offense and special teams and afford a really great defense. Defense is what wins games...just not in this reality.

First off, no one is saying we should cut those guys for sure. Second off, Long has barely been able to play the last 2 seasons due to injury and there's a very good chance that is going to continue. If you want to spend $8mil+ on a guy who either can't play or can't play effectively, that is stupid. If he can, then you don't cut him. Hence why I wrote $30-$50mil. Kind of a big range.

So go bang your head against the wall for some other made up reason.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Ranking the defense:

Mack
Hicks
Smith (if he lives up to his potential)
Fuller
Amos
Floyd
Goldman
Jackson
Amukamara
Trevathan
Bullard

A healthy Trevathan is a far better player than Fuller.

I would go

Mack
Hicks
Smith
Trevathan
Amos
Floyd
Goldman
Jackson
Fuller
Amukamara
Bullard

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I would say Goldman is very good but at a position that isn't considered too valuable. I think he gets about $8-9mil/year, which isn't a big investment given what the cap will be during his contract.

SS is probably the least valued position in the NFL going by this past year's free agency. I think Amos will get about $5-6mil/year. Again, a small % of the cap.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Same with Goldman. He's talked about like he's an elite player but he's just solid.

Can't believe they kept Sims. He's garbage and makes a lot of money.

I don’t disagree on Sims. Keeping him was clearly hedging on the development of young players. I understand that move a little more after losing Shaheen to IR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk