So.... about that Eddie Goldman extension...

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Going forward, we aren’t going to be spending on free agents. Now it’s all about re-signing our young talent and hitting on picks to balance big wages with cheap contracts. Much better problem to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AussieBear

If the Bears move on from one, itll probably be Goldman, mainly due to DT salaries vs safeties. It also helps that Nichols showed some flashes this preseason. Sure, they are different players, I get it, but still.

Longer term money the Bears can move on from next year IMO are Long (RPO rookie or FA fodder)

The following players are gone next year and that'll create some space, Sims (cut), Massie, White (Miller and Wims).

Danny tre probably plays out his contract through the 19 season and moves on in 2020. Prince is probably cut after the 19 season, saving roughly 9 mil.

Gabriel after the 19 season (Miller and Wims)

Cant really move on from fuller or restructure until 20 or 21.

Deals needed for 2020.... Jordan Howard and Leonard Floyd, if youre extend during yr 5.

Deals in 2021, Floyd if you didn't extend early, Eddie Jackson, Cohen, Shaheen, AR-12 and Mitch if you extend in yr 5.

Its more than just looking at Goldman and Amos, you also got to prepare for everyone else as well.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
A healthy Trevathan is a far better player than Fuller.

I would go

Mack
Hicks
Smith
Trevathan
Amos
Floyd
Goldman
Jackson
Fuller
Amukamara
Bullard

Easily debatable. Easily. The only way to objectively rank would be comparing players to their NFL peers and Fuller wins out in that regard IMO. There are far less good CBs than there are good linebackers. Even if you were to specifically limit to inside linebackers. This is of course assuming we are comparing most recent production, in other words last season. If you're relying on looking at career production over last season's production then you're living in the past instead of the now.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
I would say Goldman is very good but at a position that isn't considered too valuable. I think he gets about $8-9mil/year, which isn't a big investment given what the cap will be during his contract.

SS is probably the least valued position in the NFL going by this past year's free agency. I think Amos will get about $5-6mil/year. Again, a small % of the cap.

goldman is going to get over 10 mill easy. Brandon Williams got a 5yr 52 mill ~34 gtd last year, goldman and his agent are likely using that as a starting point...

Godzilla

Liked Posts:
Easily debatable. Easily. The only way to objectively rank would be comparing players to their NFL peers and Fuller wins out in that regard IMO. There are far less good CBs than there are good linebackers. Even if you were to specifically limit to inside linebackers. This is of course assuming we are comparing most recent production, in other words last season. If you're relying on looking at career production over last season's production then you're living in the past instead of the now.

So your defense of Fuller is that there are less good players at his position? Interesting take.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So your defense of Fuller is that there are less good players at his position? Interesting take.

I'm talking comparative value to rank them. Plus its also harder for me to rank a player on his decline higher than a player on his ascent. Even if I were to blindly ignore the fact Fuller balled out at corner and Tre played alright then ate shit to injury.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'm just going by what I see, and when Trevathan is healthy he's a very good player. Good instincts, good tackler, good in coverage especially for a shorter LB, and smart enough to man the green dot.

Now that I've thought about it more I move Goldman up a smidge. Him Amos and Floyd are in the same ballpark, imo.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I think Eddie gets re-signed. Amos very well could as well but he's probably not a priority.. Although, he probably won't command a big contract so it's very feasible they are both retained.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm just going by what I see, and when Trevathan is healthy he's a very good player. Good instincts, good tackler, good in coverage especially for a shorter LB, and smart enough to man the green dot.

Don't get me wrong. I easily recognize his importance and it was never more apparent than each time he was injured and someone else had to take on the burden of that green dot.

Godzilla

Liked Posts:
I'm talking comparative value to rank them. Plus its also harder for me to rank a player on his decline higher than a player on his ascent. Even if I were to blindly ignore the fact Fuller balled out at corner and Tre played alright then ate shit to injury.

Eh DT has an actual career body of work to look at, as opposed to a contract year for Fuller and nothing else. Kind of a meatball/homer bias imo but to each their own.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
goldman is going to get over 10 mill easy. Brandon Williams got a 5yr 52 mill ~34 gtd last year, goldman and his agent are likely using that as a starting point...

Could be, but Williams and Harrison are really the only guys in that run stuffing zero tech mold who make that kind of $. I guess Star Lotulelei too. I think a lot will depend on how he rushes the passer this year. He declined a bit in that regard last year, at least statistically.

dabears584

Bears Fan For Life TT&T
Liked Posts:
A healthy Trevathan is a far better player than Fuller.

I would go

Mack
Hicks
Smith
Trevathan
Amos
Floyd
Goldman
Jackson
Fuller
Amukamara
Bullard

Trevathan's best season was in 2013. He's often been injured and hasn't put together what you could call a real stellar season here. Besides I have Smith as the #1 ILB right now as his future is valued more and his projection is much better than that of Trevathan's especially as you see as he hasn't done much with his prime and will be entering his 30s soon. I'm ranking the best player by position group. Bears won't be resigning Trevathan unless it's a cheap contract. Not priority. Kyle Fuller's projection is much better than Trevathan's. He came back from injury last season and played very well and didn't miss a game. Besides he's the #1 CB. Trevathan is a #2 ILB that will be able to be replaced easily.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Eh DT has actual career body of work to look at, as opposed to a contract year for Fuller and nothing else. Kind of a meatball/homer bias imo but to each their own.

I'm beyond tired of repeating myself about Fuller. I already spent an entire off-season highlighting why it was important to re-sign him and why. If you want to write off logic based arguments with meatball/homer generalizations I'm more than happy to never engage you in thoughtful discourse. There are already enough morons I ignore here. No problem at all to add another one to the list.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If the Bears move on from one, itll probably be Goldman, mainly due to DT salaries vs safeties. It also helps that Nichols showed some flashes this preseason. Sure, they are different players, I get it, but still.

Longer term money the Bears can move on from next year IMO are Long (RPO rookie or FA fodder) and Gabriel (Miller and Wims).

The following players are gone next year and that'll create some space, Sims (cut), Massie, White (Miller and Wims).

Danny tre probably plays out his contract through the 19 season and moves on in 2020. Prince is probably cut after the 19 season, saving roughly 9 mil.

Cant really move on from fuller or restructure until 20 or 21.

Deals needed for 2020.... Jordan Howard and Leonard Floyd, if youre extend during yr 5.

Deals in 2021, Floyd if you didn't extend early, Eddie Jackson, Cohen, Shaheen, AR-12 and Mitch if you extend in yr 5.

Its more than just looking at Goldman and Amos, you also got to prepare for everyone else as well.

Gabriel would cost cap space to cut so probably not cutting him until after 2019 at earliest.

Godzilla

Liked Posts:
I'm beyond tired of repeating myself about Fuller. I already spent an entire off-season highlighting why it was important to re-sign him and why. If you want to write off logic based arguments with meatball/homer generalizations I'm more than happy to never engage you in thoughtful discourse. There are already enough morons I ignore here. No problem at all to add another one to the list.

I just signed up here, not sure what's with the hostility.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
according to spotrac, if the Bears cut Sims and Acho next year they will have about 31m in cap space next year if the cap only goes up to 187m....

that will give them 33 players under salary and the biggest need will be a RT, NT and maybe a S (unless Bush starts)

This is more than enough to re-sign both Goldman and Amos if they so choose.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I just signed up here, not sure what's with the hostility.

Well 16 posts in and you've already caught up with the CCS norm. You're ahead of the curve I suppose. When people can't post a logical rebuttal they fall back on calling someone a meatball, homer, troll, pessimist/optimist etc. etc. So, welcome to CCS.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
31m is not a lot when you need 20 players. Lets say Amos and Goldman are 15 million combined. That is only 16 million for 18 players or less than 1 million a person.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
31m is not a lot when you need 20 players. Lets say Amos and Goldman are 15 million combined. That is only 16 million for 18 players or less than 1 million a person.

most of the players they bring on will be making between 500k to 750k....those are most of the players leaving.......

Lets say you need all vet minimums (which won't be the case, many will be around 500 to 600), that leaves you with 18m to bring in a couple players or resign Goldman and Amos.....not to mention the money they have this year....they are fine.