So.... about that Eddie Goldman extension...

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Oops, I thought they stopped that with Long. I thought that shuffle was one they went back on quickly. Now I'm really worried about our oline.

But my point stands. You can't keep cutting offense to build defense if you plan on winning in today's NFL.

You continue to overrate positions that don't have much value and can be replaced in the draft with 3rd rounders. You did it this draft with Nelson, and you're doing it now with Long and McManis. Yes, you need an OL, but guards aren't game changers. Smith could be a game changer. Mack is a game changer. Amos and Goldman have more of an opportunity to impact the game than Long or McManis (LOL, I don't even know why you care about him).

And again, everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, hinges on Trubisky. This was before they traded for Mack, and it remains true after the trade. If he sucks, the D can at least carry the team. If he's good, the Bears are legit SB contenders. They invested pretty heavily this year to give Trubs not just weapons to use, but also a scheme that could finally bring the offense into the current era, as well as the coaches to properly develop his game. I don't know why you continue to harp on something that isn't even happening.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Exactly my point. You want to take a first round OT and replace him with a scrub. You want to replace a very productive ST'er with a scrub. You want to do that so you can improve an already top D, a plan otherwise known as "Why do the Bears continually suck year after year?" or "Why didn't Lovie's Bears ever win a Super Bowl?"

The goal is to have an offense that can score. You can't have an offense if you don't protect the QB. If Long is no good he needs to be replaced with better. If you're not willing to do that then trade Trubisky and all the WRs because they won't do any good.
There's your money to have a defense that can lose every game by 3 points.

I don't want anything. I didn't think I would have to explain this, but the money from cuts plus the existing money could be used for players who play any position. Goldman and Amos might cost $15. Then the rest can be used for other holes. How the fuck is that difficult to get?

dawags

Liked Posts:
My biggest worry is that if Pace can't extend Goldman and he hits the open market the bidding war might reach over 10 million and we don't match it. A hole in our defense would be created that we would try to fill it with limited 2019 draft resources.

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well, they have the money that would have went to a first rounder, but won’t anymore.

:crazydance:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Myk

pfcmsh

Liked Posts:
I am thinking that Pace looked ahead a year or 2 and has an idea of how to keep the good players on the Bears.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Well 16 posts in and you've already caught up with the CCS norm. You're ahead of the curve I suppose. When people can't post a logical rebuttal they fall back on calling someone a meatball, homer, troll, pessimist/optimist etc. etc. So, welcome to CCS.

Ah yes, this from someone that is entirely above it all.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Ah yes, this from someone that is entirely above it all.

I'm honestly confused why your clown crew has chosen this phrase to latch onto. Its not even remotely clever, funny or even insulting. But I mean you lapdogs can do however you want to do. Doesn't bother me any.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
You continue to overrate positions that don't have much value and can be replaced in the draft with 3rd rounders. You did it this draft with Nelson, and you're doing it now with Long and McManis. Yes, you need an OL, but guards aren't game changers. Smith could be a game changer. Mack is a game changer. Amos and Goldman have more of an opportunity to impact the game than Long or McManis (LOL, I don't even know why you care about him).

And again, everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, hinges on Trubisky. This was before they traded for Mack, and it remains true after the trade. If he sucks, the D can at least carry the team. If he's good, the Bears are legit SB contenders. They invested pretty heavily this year to give Trubs not just weapons to use, but also a scheme that could finally bring the offense into the current era, as well as the coaches to properly develop his game. I don't know why you continue to harp on something that isn't even happening.

From what I see it's only Bears fans who underrate offense.
How many decades does it take watching teams with offenses repeating in the Super Bowl for you to realize offense is what wins? But Papa Bear said...
I wanted to stay a defensive team but came to realize it doesn't cut it in the modern era NFL. The majority here wanted to go with what works and have an offense...until we actually start making moves to do that and then it becomes the redheaded step child again. And I wouldn't even mind that, fans have no say in the matter, but it seems someone at the top keeps pushing what Papa Bear said 50 years ago.

Sure Mack is great. That means you don't need Goldman or someone else on D. Mack has nothing to do with not protecting our own QB.
Everything about Trubisky hinges on him having the amount of time we see other teams giving their QB. Even if he's able to create time like Rodgers can and keep his accuracy that can't be the whole game plan or the QB eventually gets broke, even Rodgers got broken. Those other teams didn't give their QB time against us because our D is only top 10.
You seem to think the QB is the lone player on offense. If that was the case we would have a lot more post season games over the last 13 years.

McManis was a local high school player so maybe I hear of his good plays more than you do. He's more important than Bellamy to STs and he seems to be untouchable.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
I'm honestly confused why your clown crew has chosen this phrase to latch onto. Its not even remotely clever, funny or even insulting. But I mean you lapdogs can do however you want to do. Doesn't bother me any.

Don't be confused, you try to call others out for "namecalling" when you are one of the biggest shit talkers on this board.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
From what I see it's only Bears fans who underrate offense.
How many decades does it take watching teams with offenses repeating in the Super Bowl for you to realize offense is what wins? But Papa Bear said...
I wanted to stay a defensive team but came to realize it doesn't cut it in the modern era NFL. The majority here wanted to go with what works and have an offense...until we actually start making moves to do that and then it becomes the redheaded step child again. And I wouldn't even mind that, fans have no say in the matter, but it seems someone at the top keeps pushing what Papa Bear said 50 years ago.

FFS dude, how many times do we have to explain to you that the Bears are investing in offense? They drafted a QB, brought in 3 WR, 2 TEs, a RB, and a G/C in the last two seasons. All with the intent on them being factors. There is nothing to do but wait and see if it pans out. Even if it doesn't work, it wasn't for lack of trying. It's not like they have Hester as the #1 WR.

Sure Mack is great. That means you don't need Goldman or someone else on D. Mack has nothing to do with not protecting our own QB.

This is just fucking ridiculous, especially with your claims about ignoring offense. You DO NOT ignore the rest of the defense just because Mack is good. The goal is to have as many playmakers as possible. We have Stafford, Cousins, and Rodgers in our division. I'd like as many players to disrupt as many things as possible that those guys are able to do well. If Trubisky ends up being the Mack of the offense, do you ignore the rest of the offense because Trubisky is that good? It's fucking asinine.

Everything about Trubisky hinges on him having the amount of time we see other teams giving their QB. Even if he's able to create time like Rodgers can and keep his accuracy that can't be the whole game plan or the QB eventually gets broke, even Rodgers got broken. Those other teams didn't give their QB time against us because our D is only top 10.
You seem to think the QB is the lone player on offense. If that was the case we would have a lot more post season games over the last 13 years.

Where have I said that? I already told you that the Bears are investing in offense, from the coaching staff on down. There isn't much else for them to do but see how it works.

McManis was a local high school player so maybe I hear of his good plays more than you do. He's more important than Bellamy to STs and he seems to be untouchable.

Yeah, you're overrating him.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Don't be confused, you try to call others out for "namecalling" when you are one of the biggest shit talkers on this board.

See, that is where your reading comprehension fails you. I don't give a shit about name calling or shit talking. What I care about is when trying to have an actual conversation based on logic and facts it ends in someone reducing the entire conversation into a sweeping generalization. All because they were left with no intelligent response. In other words a waste of time.

I can understand when people call others trolls and homers based on their posting history. I don't fall under a homer or meatball category at all. I call a spade a spade and often times am a dick in how I do it. I make no attempts to hide that.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
most of the players they bring on will be making between 500k to 750k....those are most of the players leaving.......

Lets say you need all vet minimums (which won't be the case, many will be around 500 to 600), that leaves you with 18m to bring in a couple players or resign Goldman and Amos.....not to mention the money they have this year....they are fine.

But you aren't going to fill all the open positions with just people on vet or rookie mins. There will be probably 4-5 guys who you given 2 million + dollar contracts to unless you really just want scrubs as depth.

Washington

Liked Posts:
If I was a player of Goldman's talent, I'd let the contract expire and try my luck at FA. Good DTs, especially NTs are a tough find and market prices are on the rise. If he really liked the situation in Chi, he could still come back.

With all the recent FA signings and the Mack trade, the salary cap is now a big thing. The team is not going to be able to keep everyone and will have the same tough decisions other good teams have had for years. That is why drafting well is so important. The team went from not being there to being there overnight.

Reactions: Myk

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Getting a good NT or good SS is easier than an elite pass rusher. So while I would prefer we sign both, it is not the end of the world if one or both move on.

I think it's bad to look at these as an either or. Pace needs to retain Goldman. Amos, less so.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I think it's bad to look at these as an either or. Pace needs to retain Goldman. Amos, less so.

Yeah, if it comes down to replacing one, it would be easier to find a replacement for Amos in the draft.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
If I was a player of Goldman's talent, I'd let the contract expire and try my luck at FA. Good DTs, especially NTs are a tough find and market prices are on the rise. If he really liked the situation in Chi, he could still come back.

With all the resent FA signings and the Mack trade, the salary cap is now a big thing. The team is not going to be able to keep everyone and will have the same tough decisions other good teams have had for years. That is why drafting well is so important. The team went from not being there to being there overnight.
No it's the time we need to see results on the field.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
See, that is where your reading comprehension fails you. I don't give a shit about name calling or shit talking. What I care about is when trying to have an actual conversation based on logic and facts it ends in someone reducing the entire conversation into a sweeping generalization. All because they were left with no intelligent response. In other words a waste of time.

I can understand when people call others trolls and homers based on their posting history. I don't fall under a homer or meatball category at all. I call a spade a spade and often times am a dick in how I do it. I make no attempts to hide that.
So you are so above it all that you have to tell us all how above it you are... Thanks slick.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
FFS dude, how many times do we have to explain to you that the Bears are investing in offense? They drafted a QB, brought in 3 WR, 2 TEs, a RB, and a G/C in the last two seasons. All with the intent on them being factors. There is nothing to do but wait and see if it pans out. Even if it doesn't work, it wasn't for lack of trying. It's not like they have Hester as the #1 WR.

You draft your QB with the #2 pick and then what other sure thing stars have gone into building around him? We got Daniels and that's about it, maybe Miller (but that same risk of WRs drafted high busting doesn't magically get better as the picks go down). Everyone else requires a lot of prayer.

If it doesn't work out is the problem. While you're all worried about what about how to afford our now better than top 10 D so let's cut offense based on presurgical performance I'm more worried about if the offense doesn't work out whether or not it's because the surgery didn't help. How do we afford those new needed stars to make our offense great not how do we afford a #1 defense.
Offense is the question mark not defense.

This is just fucking ridiculous, especially with your claims about ignoring offense. You DO NOT ignore the rest of the defense just because Mack is good. The goal is to have as many playmakers as possible. We have Stafford, Cousins, and Rodgers in our division. I'd like as many players to disrupt as many things as possible that those guys are able to do well. If Trubisky ends up being the Mack of the offense, do you ignore the rest of the offense because Trubisky is that good? It's fucking asinine.

Actually you do ignore the rest of the defense because you just sunk a bunch of money into a star. That's how it works. How it doesn't work is to sell off the offense to pay for a defense.
Yes if Trubisky ends up being great the contract he demands should take away from offense because he will elevate the players around him. But actually QB is so important and costs so much you end up ignoring the rest of the team to have a great one in that position. What was the talk when Stafford got his payday contract?

Where have I said that? I already told you that the Bears are investing in offense, from the coaching staff on down. There isn't much else for them to do but see how it works.

When you start talking about cutting offensive starters and replacing them with low round rookies to afford defense because you got a defensive star you're not talking investing in offense. You're giving lip service to investing in offense when the truth is you're bringing in long shots.

Yeah, you're overrating him.

But you still need to replace him with another ST'er who is just as good. That for a $700K savings which is offset by the pay for the one to replace him, league minimum for a player with no years is $500K. We saved a whopping $200K. Get a player with more than 3 years experience and the cut ends up costing money.
If we have the player already on payroll to replace him on STs, sure. If we don't it's just like Bellamy, the savings isn't there to replace what he does.

Sims on the other hand could be cut without much worry about what it does to the offense. If he needs to be replaced you could probably find a long shot as good for cheaper.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Makes perfect sense if you discount: literally an entirely new group of receivers; two second round OL; two quality RBs; and a huge FA investment plus second rounder in TE, all in the last three years. And that if you do resign Goldman and Amos there will still be $ and draft picks to replace Long if he's a cripple.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The bottom 20 of our roster is worth about 13.2 million in cap cost this year......

Which is already like 28.2 million when again you consider Goldman and Amos get around 15 million.

Further you are not going to just fill the everyone that leaves in FA with draft picks and scrubs. Maybe Coward you decide replaces Massie but if not and you need a FA starter tat RT he will be making more than the bottom 20.