So.... about that Eddie Goldman extension...

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
But you aren't going to fill all the open positions with just people on vet or rookie mins. There will be probably 4-5 guys who you given 2 million + dollar contracts to unless you really just want scrubs as depth.

As I have shown, per spotrac, most of the bottom roster is cheap. Yes you do fill that out with cheap guys....

The entire starting offense is under contract next year except the RT. The entire starting defense is under contract except for Amos and Goldman.

here is the list of Bears free agents next year....

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2019/all/chicago-bears/

most these replacements are on the roster already.....you are not going to spend 31m plus the 13m left this year to replace all of these guys.....thats 43 million for re-signing and new contracts next year

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
You draft your QB with the #2 pick and then what other sure thing stars have gone into building around him? We got Daniels and that's about it, maybe Miller (but that same risk of WRs drafted high busting doesn't magically get better as the picks go down). Everyone else requires a lot of prayer.

giphy.gif
Seriously? What are you not getting? Why do they have to be "sure thing stars?" They got players to fit a role. The combined parts are supposed to make the whole machine work. Robinson, Gabriel, Miller, Burton, Shaheen, Cohen, Daniels, Whitehair, Howard, Trubisky. There is a lot of young talent and a lot of speed, and they are all under multiple year, team friendly deals. The Bears are investing a lot into this panning out, and the Mack trade shows their belief in this. I don't know why that continues to escape you.

If it doesn't work out is the problem. While you're all worried about what about how to afford our now better than top 10 D so let's cut offense based on presurgical performance I'm more worried about if the offense doesn't work out whether or not it's because the surgery didn't help. How do we afford those new needed stars to make our offense great not how do we afford a #1 defense.
Offense is the question mark not defense.

If the offense doesn't work, they're basically fucked. It's that simple. They can't do anything else until they find out if Trubisky is the real deal. Why is this so hard for you?

Actually you do ignore the rest of the defense because you just sunk a bunch of money into a star. That's how it works. How it doesn't work is to sell off the offense to pay for a defense.
Yes if Trubisky ends up being great the contract he demands should take away from offense because he will elevate the players around him. But actually QB is so important and costs so much you end up ignoring the rest of the team to have a great one in that position. What was the talk when Stafford got his payday contract?

When you start talking about cutting offensive starters and replacing them with low round rookies to afford defense because you got a defensive star you're not talking investing in offense. You're giving lip service to investing in offense when the truth is you're bringing in long shots.

No one is talking about replacing offensive starters. They mentioned one, who plays a non impact position, is an injury risk, and is one of the older players on the team. You just continue to make shit up about the Bears ignoring offense when it is clear they are investing in young, cost controlled talent. You do not ignore the pieces around the star just because you have a star. Some guys might have to go, but you still try to keep the best players on the team, especially when they play critical positions. You ignore the rest of the defense because you have Mack, and teams can easily scheme away from him. Stop being ridiculous.

But you still need to replace him with another ST'er who is just as good. That for a $700K savings which is offset by the pay for the one to replace him, league minimum for a player with no years is $500K. We saved a whopping $200K. Get a player with more than 3 years experience and the cut ends up costing money.
If we have the player already on payroll to replace him on STs, sure. If we don't it's just like Bellamy, the savings isn't there to replace what he does.

Right, and I'm sure you could find another 5th rounder, just like McManis, to replace him. Just stop man, you're ranting about nothing that is even happening.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
As I have shown, per spotrac, most of the bottom roster is cheap. Yes you do fill that out with cheap guys....

The entire starting offense is under contract next year except the RT. The entire starting defense is under contract except for Amos and Goldman.

here is the list of Bears free agents next year....

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2019/all/chicago-bears/

most these replacements are on the roster already.....you are not going to spend 31m plus the 13m left this year to replace all of these guys.....thats 43 million for re-signing and new contracts next year

The poster also said they were cutting Simms and DT to get to 31 million as currently we only have 22 million in cap space. So next year you will need to replace the following.

RT - Need to replace Massie. Again, maybe you go with Coward and a draft pick but if you have to get a FA then that is probably 5-8 million. Personally I would rather get a legit RT than resign an Amos as protecting Trubs is more important.

TE - You have a pass catching TE and an injured Shaheen. Think you will need to replace Simms as Brown and BB are not good enough.

CB - Callahan is one of the best Nickel CBs and so will command a decent amount on the open market. Considering Akumura's age and the fact Cooper is also a FA we will definitely need probably 2 CBs and likely will have to spend some money. Even Cooper when he first signed was 3 million a year. So think we will have to spend at CB.

OL - Let's assume Daniels becomes a starter. We have zero OL depth worth a shit adide from maybe Coward. Kush cost us 1.3 million so you looking at 2 million or so to get a vet G or swing T worth a shit.

RB - Benny is a free agent and made a million so if you get a vet RB, you looking at 1-2 million as well.

DE - We only have Bullard, Nicholls and Hicks under contract and Bullard may be well on his way to being a bust. So unless Nicholls impresses, will likely be in he market for a starting caliber DE.

The money adds up. Considering our 1st pick next year is 3rd round, I don't think you can just assume draft picks are going to fill all these holes so like I said you will probably end up signing 4-5 vets that are making 2 million + or so. I think you can probably pick up a 3rd RB, Blocking TE, and an OL comfortable in the draft but you can't just assume all your late round draft picks hit particularly at DE, CB and starting RT. This doesn't even get into the fact that a couple of guys may bust at say WR. If Gabriel or Miller don't play well this year, are you going to just stick with them or are you going to bring in another WR to be WR2?

So sure, if every single FA and draft pick from this year is a success then no biggie but more than likely we will have to think about extending only one of Goldman and Amos and then seeing how things shake out at the end of this year. So I think you extend Goldman and see where we stand at the end of this season before doing anything with Amos.

CHI(c'-')AGO

Liked Posts:
giphy.gif
Seriously? What are you not getting? Why do they have to be "sure thing stars?" They got players to fit a role. The combined parts are supposed to make the whole machine work. Robinson, Gabriel, Miller, Burton, Shaheen, Cohen, Daniels, Whitehair, Howard, Trubisky. There is a lot of young talent and a lot of speed, and they are all under multiple year, team friendly deals. The Bears are investing a lot into this panning out, and the Mack trade shows their belief in this. I don't know why that continues to escape you.

If the offense doesn't work, they're basically fucked. It's that simple. They can't do anything else until they find out if Trubisky is the real deal. Why is this so hard for you?

No one is talking about replacing offensive starters. They mentioned one, who plays a non impact position, is an injury risk, and is one of the older players on the team. You just continue to make shit up about the Bears ignoring offense when it is clear they are investing in young, cost controlled talent. You do not ignore the pieces around the star just because you have a star. Some guys might have to go, but you still try to keep the best players on the team, especially when they play critical positions. You ignore the rest of the defense because you have Mack, and teams can easily scheme away from him. Stop being ridiculous.

Right, and I'm sure you could find another 5th rounder, just like McManis, to replace him. Just stop man, you're ranting about nothing that is even happening.

:clap: Trying to get this turd Myk to comprehend any sane thought is like trying to turn chicken shit into chicken soup, it ain't happening. His asshole must be jealous from all the shit that comes out of his mouth. Everyone's entitled to be stupid but he's abusing the privilege.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I'm honestly confused why your clown crew has chosen this phrase to latch onto. Its not even remotely clever, funny or even insulting. But I mean you lapdogs can do however you want to do. Doesn't bother me any.

It's a good thing you're above being above it all.

heh

Ej63090

Anti-Exultant Cruise Dire
Liked Posts:
This is why good QB play trumps all.

No team will have a great situation at every position. However, a superstar at one will cover up deficiencies at others.

The packers roster has been a mess since they won the SB. Someone tell me a year their o-line, RB’s, TE, DL, CB’s, S, ILB, etc hasn’t been complete dogshit. Every year they have 2-3 position groups that are awful and haven’t had elite talent in years. Yet they continue to ride high in the playoffs year after year. Elite QB play will shore up a whole lot of issues.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
This is why good QB play trumps all.

No team will have a great situation at every position. However, a superstar at one will cover up deficiencies at others.

The packers roster has been a mess since they won the SB. Someone tell me a year their o-line, RB’s, TE, DL, CB’s, S, ILB, etc hasn’t been complete dogshit. Every year they have 2-3 position groups that are awful and haven’t had elite talent in years. Yet they continue to ride high in the playoffs year after year. Elite QB play will shore up a whole lot of issues.

They wasted Rodgers best years by not building around him. They should have more than one SB with that QB. Their defense cost them multiple times in the playoffs.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
The poster also said they were cutting Simms and DT to get to 31 million as currently we only have 22 million in cap space. So next year you will need to replace the following.

RT - Need to replace Massie. Again, maybe you go with Coward and a draft pick but if you have to get a FA then that is probably 5-8 million. Personally I would rather get a legit RT than resign an Amos as protecting Trubs is more important.

TE - You have a pass catching TE and an injured Shaheen. Think you will need to replace Simms as Brown and BB are not good enough.

CB - Callahan is one of the best Nickel CBs and so will command a decent amount on the open market. Considering Akumura's age and the fact Cooper is also a FA we will definitely need probably 2 CBs and likely will have to spend some money. Even Cooper when he first signed was 3 million a year. So think we will have to spend at CB.

OL - Let's assume Daniels becomes a starter. We have zero OL depth worth a shit adide from maybe Coward. Kush cost us 1.3 million so you looking at 2 million or so to get a vet G or swing T worth a shit.

RB - Benny is a free agent and made a million so if you get a vet RB, you looking at 1-2 million as well.

DE - We only have Bullard, Nicholls and Hicks under contract and Bullard may be well on his way to being a bust. So unless Nicholls impresses, will likely be in he market for a starting caliber DE.

The money adds up. Considering our 1st pick next year is 3rd round, I don't think you can just assume draft picks are going to fill all these holes so like I said you will probably end up signing 4-5 vets that are making 2 million + or so. I think you can probably pick up a 3rd RB, Blocking TE, and an OL comfortable in the draft but you can't just assume all your late round draft picks hit particularly at DE, CB and starting RT. This doesn't even get into the fact that a couple of guys may bust at say WR. If Gabriel or Miller don't play well this year, are you going to just stick with them or are you going to bring in another WR to be WR2?

So sure, if every single FA and draft pick from this year is a success then no biggie but more than likely we will have to think about extending only one of Goldman and Amos and then seeing how things shake out at the end of this year. So I think you extend Goldman and see where we stand at the end of this season before doing anything with Amos.

I'm only going to address this as I have a lot of good TV to watch.....wtf has Simms done that can't be replaced on the cheap..........are you kidding......how could we possibly replace the great Simms stat line of 180 yards and 1 TD with 15 receptions........

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'm only going to address this as I have a lot of good TV to watch.....wtf has Simms done that can't be replaced on the cheap..........are you kidding......how could we possibly replace the great Simms stat line of 180 yards and 1 TD with 15 receptions........

Guess you missed where I said you can pick up a blocking TE in the draft. However, the point is if you don't pick up one in the draft then a decent FA is going to get millions. As shitty as Simms is, he still cost 6 million per. Don't think you want to go into next year just trusting Shaheen unless he comes back from injury and is actually good. We are basically one Trey Burton injury away from being absolute shit at TE next year.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The Bears should use the money they have to extend Goldman. Amos can be extended to if he takes a team friendly deal because the safety market is trash.

Goldman

Extension: 4 years 40 million/25 guaranteed
Total: 5 years 42 million/25 guaranteed

10 million cap hit in 2018

Leaves 4 years 32 million or 8/season when Mack gets expensive.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
No one is talking about replacing offensive starters.

No one is talking about replacing offensive starters? How do you cut Long to save cap space without replacing him? You realize Daniels is listed as our only backup for G and C, and we have a backup for each OT? That's where you all lose me on the unimportant oline talk, not only do you think anyone can do it, you start talking like they don't even need to fill the positions or have any depth.

If the $200K you save on McManis after league minimum for his rookie replacement will pay for Goldman there's no worries about paying for Goldman. I'm sure you could rework a contract out of 53 to come up with the $181K you'd net cutting him. You may even get Mack to pay 1.3% of his 2018 salary to keep him or maybe about half that percentage of his 2019 salary.
We don't have talent lined up for depth at most positions but especially on offense that can let us cut starters without replacing them with another contract just as bad. And the ST'ers aren't going to save enough money to do anything with.
If you don't like the players just man up and say that. Don't make up lies about how saving $200K will make it so you can afford a $5M player.

I know it's not happening. It's moronic meatball talk trying to play armchair GM and letting personal issues because someone doesn't like how a player tweets enter into it. It's not the Bears doing the ignoring, it's the moronic meatballs wanting to go back to old school Bears where offense isn't needed. If it was the Bears I'd be watching a different team that understands the modern NFL that has been in place since the 1960s.

If Pace says they can afford Mack's contract I'm sure they have a plan for what happens to Goldman.

circusboy666

Liked Posts:
I think I may be the only one who wants Amos locked up first...

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I don’t disagree on Sims. Keeping him was clearly hedging on the development of young players. I understand that move a little more after losing Shaheen to IR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When KC lost Kelce for some time due to injuries the offense took a huge hit because they did not have a quality catching TE to step in for him. I think the reason you see us a bit overloaded at TE is because it is a key position in Nagy's offense and he does not want to get caught with his pants down again. They did keep both Brown and Braunecker to make sure they can weather the season.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Coward will get his shot. Looked like he only needs a season of learning to do this. That they wouldn't risk him on waivers tells us they feel the same. RT and G are positions that you can develop and we have the coach to do that.

Shaheen should be 100% and Blocking TEs are not that costly if you decide to get one. Of course we also get players at many positions in FA, draft etc like every team, every year but really, a guy like Simms should be cheaper to replace than he costs.

I think this will be more graduation than anything else. Letting a guy like LeBlanc go should tell us it's not that weak.

OL - Let's assume Daniels becomes a starter. We have zero OL depth worth a shit adide from maybe Coward. Kush cost us 1.3 million so you looking at 2 million or so to get a vet G or swing T worth a shit. and we save Kush's and Massie's deals in the process.

Nall or a draft pick/UDFA fits nicely here

This ignores that Robertson-Harris may step up as well. This is normal NFL stuff and Mack can play with his hand down to stack a side.

Flip side is they both play well and we don't have enough snaps for them. Every team goes through turnover, every year. What you are describing is a team with little in the way of holes and just needs a bit of health, luck... like every team. We are not in cap hell or have bigger holes to fill than other teams. we have guys to sign or replace but right now, we have $15m more cap space than the Vikes in 2019. Sometimes folks look at an attractive sky and only see rain.

I think they can do both without much ado but I suspect it's more likely they let Amos test the market with a 1st round tender. Oops

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I think they can do both without much ado but I suspect it's more likely they let Amos test the market with a 1st round tender.

Amos will be a UDFA, he can't be tendered.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Mack has the kind of impact we're all hoping for and the secondary benefits with turnovers, the price for not just Amos, but the entire secondary, is going to go up- a lot.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Amos will be a UDFA, he can't be tendered.

Thanks. Then they sign him after the season and before FA or go a different way. Plenty of room if they want to keep him and he wants to stay. They could do both him and Goldman right now if they wanted but it's nice to leave some room for emergencies. Amos won't be one of the top 5 safeties in FA right now, regardless of PFF ratings. Obviously there will be another year of play and preferences involved but here's an example. https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-co...oys-could-sign-in-2019-119599697/#119599697_7 Of course, some of those others could be signed before then as well.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Thanks. Then they sign him after the season and before FA or go a different way. Plenty of room if they want to keep him and he wants to stay. They could do both him and Goldman right now if they wanted but it's nice to leave some room for emergencies. Amos won't be one of the top 5 safeties in FA right now, regardless of PFF ratings. Obviously there will be another year of play and preferences involved but here's an example. https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-co...oys-could-sign-in-2019-119599697/#119599697_7 Of course, some of those others could be signed before then as well.

Yeah the safety market was very poor this past year, and the only one who usually make real $ are the legit centerfielders (not always but usually). I don't think Amos is going to get a very big deal. Something like $5/year. But I also think it's really difficult to predict because lots of teams always have lots of $ to spend and are willing to give out bad contracts.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think they can do both without much ado but I suspect it's more likely they let Amos test the market with a 1st round tender. Oops

1. No one knows exactly how long it will take for Coward and the issue is what do you do if he bombs. Again, think you have to add someone he can compete with rather than just handing him the job. Maybe that comes in the draft but with so few picks and Pace sticking to BPA typically, it is entirely possible, we won't find someone in the draft at the spots we pick.

2. Shaheen is a complete unknown at this point. Whether he is at 100% or not, he has done nothing in the NFL to just be granted the 2nd TE spot. You are basically putting all your hopes at TE on an oversized WR and Shaheeen. They had every option to cut Simmis this year before his salary became guaranteed and they did not likely because they aren't 100% sold on Shaheen. Not sure they get sold on him this year if he misses a huge chunk of time.

3. Letting LeBlanc go tells us nothing because we have Callahan and Cooper. Next year both are FAs. Prince will be a year older and if we resign Callahan, he is probably going to cos 3-5 million if not more. Combined we chose to pay BC and MC 3.4 million so just assuming some dude making peanuts will replace them isn't necessarily true.

4. Massie and Kush not having deals are already including in the 21 million in current cap space we have. So if we cut Simms and DT then that is how we get to the 31 million that was apart of the original discussions.

5. RRH is a RFA. So if they put an original tender on him, you risk actually losing him like with CAM. And if they do that is still 1.9 million. If they do a 2nd round tender then that is 2.9 million. So it costs more than minimum.

Not saying we are in cap hell. Just saying we likely are not extending boh Goldman and Amos right now. Again if you go with the 31 million, extending both would cost around 15 million. Draft pool is another 3 to 3.5 million. Putting a tender on RRH is 1.9 to 2.9 million. So that is already 20 to 22 million right there on just 8 players. You still have 14 other spots to fill. Even at 500k that would be 7 million leaving only about 3-5 million for emergencies.

The best strategy is to extend one and then see how the season unfolds before committing to the other in the event more pressing needs reveal themselves as the season progresses. We can create more space with other moves for sure but the point is how all these pieces fit together remains to be seen so let's not jump the gun here and blow money when we can gather a year's worth of information by season how the season plays out.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If Mack has the kind of impact we're all hoping for and the secondary benefits with turnovers, the price for not just Amos, but the entire secondary, is going to go up- a lot.

Yep and Callahan is my bigger worry than Amos frankly. Finding a 3rd CB and also an eventual replacement for Prince is more pressing than extending Amos.