So.... about that Eddie Goldman extension...

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
31m is not a lot when you need 20 players. Lets say Amos and Goldman are 15 million combined. That is only 16 million for 18 players or less than 1 million a person.

You're not even looking at what are the players no longer under contract at that point. Its the back end of the roster. Players that will be replaced by draft picks and cheap pick ups.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
The bottom 20 of our roster is worth about 13.2 million in cap cost this year......

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I dont think Amos is going to be as expensive to resign as many believe, and I wouldnt be surprised to see him replaced. But I do like his growth last year, and would love to see him sign a new contract with us.

Goldman, however, I would make a priority to resign. He has the raw strength to beat a lot lineman in one-on-one situations. Right now, with Mack and Hicks getting extra attention for being able able to blow up any given play, he is going to see a lot of those opportunities.

Resigning these two lets us focus our draft capital on depth at OLB and T.

What are many believing Amos will get? I haven't seen anyone making any predictions on what he would get so i'm interested to know what people think. I gotta think with PFF giving him all the love they gave him and having him as one of their top safeties in the NFL for what he did last year can't help us.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
First off, no one is saying we should cut those guys for sure. Second off, Long has barely been able to play the last 2 seasons due to injury and there's a very good chance that is going to continue. If you want to spend $8mil+ on a guy who either can't play or can't play effectively, that is stupid. If he can, then you don't cut him. Hence why I wrote $30-$50mil. Kind of a big range.

So go bang your head against the wall for some other made up reason.

It's not if Long needs to go or not. It's that you think you get to cut Long and somehow fill the spot with just as good for cheaper.
If you cut Long or McManis you need to replace them with just as good or better which isn't going to come any cheaper. You can't continually rob the rest of the team to build defense.
If you're making cuts to pay for defense the cuts had better come from defense when the defense is already stacked.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
A healthy Trevathan is a far better player than Fuller.

I would go

Mack
Hicks
Smith
Trevathan
Amos
Floyd
Goldman
Jackson
Fuller
Amukamara
Bullard

If Fuller is the player he was last year then that's a false statement without a doubt but if he's the player he was his first 4 years then that's true.....we don't know which one he is yet to be able to make that statement though. Do you agree with that or no?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
What are many believing Amos will get? I haven't seen anyone making any predictions on what he would get so i'm interested to know what people think. I gotta think with PFF giving him all the love they gave him and having him as one of their top safeties in the NFL for what he did last year can't help us.

PFF does not set the market for salaries....Bears won't have to pay more because of PFF. Bears will value him at what level they think he is worth, regardless of what PFF believes. If he thinks he is worth more, then they may not sign him and we would probably elevate Bush or go get a vet.

Amos at most is going to get between 4 to 6 m a year.....that would put him around 5th to 10th highest paid safeties....he is not worth Cam Chancellor money, which is about 12m.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
PFF does not set the market for salaries....Bears won't have to pay more because of PFF. Bears will value him at what level they think he is worth, regardless of what PFF believes. If he thinks he is worth more, then they may not sign him and we would probably elevate Bush or go get a vet.

Amos at most is going to get between 4 to 6 m a year.....that would put him around 5th to 10th highest paid safeties....he is not worth Cam Chancellor money, which is about 12m.

Thank you but i know PPF doesn't set the salary of a player which is why i only said it can't help and i guarantee you that Amos' agent will absolutely bring that up in his talks with Pace and there's no doubt about that cause that's what agents do. I think anything at $4-$6 is fine with me. It won't be as low as $4 though and more closer to that $6. I don't think anyone on here was thinking anything close to $12 mil.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thank you but i know PPF doesn't set the salary of a player which is why i only said it can't help and i guarantee you that Amos' agent will absolutely bring that up in his talks with Pace and there's no doubt about that. I think anything at $4-$6 is fine with me. It won't be as low as $4 though and more closer to that $6.

of his agent will bring it up, but no GM will pay extra because PFF says so. If Amos' agent overvalues him out of the market based on PFF he needs a new agent.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
of his agent will bring it up, but no GM will pay extra because PFF says so. If Amos' agent overvalues him out of the market based on PFF he needs a new agent.

Which is why i never said a GM would. Just simply said it can't help is all.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Which is why i never said a GM would. Just simply said it can't help is all.

if it wouldn't affect the negotiation how would it help or hurt then? I think the PFF ranking is a complete non-issue

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
Thank you but i know PPF doesn't set the salary of a player which is why i only said it can't help and i guarantee you that Amos' agent will absolutely bring that up in his talks with Pace and there's no doubt about that cause that's what agents do. I think anything at $4-$6 is fine with me. It won't be as low as $4 though and more closer to that $6. I don't think anyone on here was thinking anything close to $12 mil.

the SS market is very low in terms of AAV. Burnett got just under 5 mill a year and i'd take burnett over amos anyday. To me amos is just a solid player, he doesnt cause turnovers. I'd give him a 3yr 10 mill deal, max a 3yr 12 mill deal.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

GMs in fact use PFF stats and analysis in contract negotiations. Players and agents also use them. Its not an end all be all of course but its brought up by both sides in negotiations.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
It's not if Long needs to go or not. It's that you think you get to cut Long and somehow fill the spot with just as good for cheaper.
If you cut Long or McManis you need to replace them with just as good or better which isn't going to come any cheaper. You can't continually rob the rest of the team to build defense.
If you're making cuts to pay for defense the cuts had better come from defense when the defense is already stacked.

If long is hurt and can't really play, then you can fill his spot pretty cheaply. There is a draft too. Alco, is there a rule that your have to fill every spot with someone just as expensive? The goal is to have lots of good players, not an $8 mil guard.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
GMs in fact use PFF stats and analysis in contract negotiations. Players and agents also use them. Its not an end all be all of course but its brought up by both sides in negotiations.

Well there you go....and Xero is the PFF king of CCS so he would know. That's all i was trying to get at with my post that Amos' agent will use his grading by PFF last year in his contract negotiation.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well there you go....and Xero is the PFF king of CCS so he would know. That's all i was trying to get at with my post that Amos' agent will use his grading by PFF last year in his contract negotiation.

Don't put that evil on me. I'm just pointing out the fact it is used whether people like it or not. Chris Colinsworth is the owner of PFF and he's mentioned it before that they use their stats in countless contract negotiations. So I am just presenting facts here, no more no less.

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Are we turning towards another PFF debate?

xCdstgL.png

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers

LOL, dude, seriously. Long plays guard (right guard at that) and McManis is a special teamer and like 4th string CB. Long has been oft injured the last few seasons, so he isn't really contributing his salary to begin with and, quite frankly, he's overrated around here. I like him, and he's good when he's healthy, but he's rarely ever healthy anymore. You can find guys that are cheap to replace both of them at their positions and keep chugging along. Let's not act like the players on that list he posted are irreplaceable. I don't understand why it bothers you so much that players that are better and play a more valued position gets more attention than oft-injured RGs and 4th string special teamers. It's not like we're talking about letting Howard walk.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
If long is hurt and can't really play, then you can fill his spot pretty cheaply. There is a draft too. Alco, is there a rule that your have to fill every spot with someone just as expensive? The goal is to have lots of good players, not an $8 mil guard.

Exactly my point. You want to take a first round OT and replace him with a scrub. You want to replace a very productive ST'er with a scrub. You want to do that so you can improve an already top D, a plan otherwise known as "Why do the Bears continually suck year after year?" or "Why didn't Lovie's Bears ever win a Super Bowl?"

The goal is to have an offense that can score. You can't have an offense if you don't protect the QB. If Long is no good he needs to be replaced with better. If you're not willing to do that then trade Trubisky and all the WRs because they won't do any good.
There's your money to have a defense that can lose every game by 3 points.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
LOL, dude, seriously. Long plays guard (right guard at that) and McManis is a special teamer and like 4th string CB. Long has been oft injured the last few seasons, so he isn't really contributing his salary to begin with and, quite frankly, he's overrated around here. I like him, and he's good when he's healthy, but he's rarely ever healthy anymore. You can find guys that are cheap to replace both of them at their positions and keep chugging along. Let's not act like the players on that list he posted are irreplaceable. I don't understand why it bothers you so much that players that are better and play a more valued position gets more attention than oft-injured RGs and 4th string special teamers. It's not like we're talking about letting Howard walk.

Oops, I thought they stopped that with Long. I thought that shuffle was one they went back on quickly. Now I'm really worried about our oline.

But my point stands. You can't keep cutting offense to build defense if you plan on winning in today's NFL.