So. What does a Mel Tucker Defense Look Like?

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Trestman/Emery obviously found some glitter of hope in Tucker's record... Don't know what... I've looked over his record in Jacksonville and it's underwhelming at best. His 1st year playcalling as a DC was OK. Everything else (before and after) looks, on first glance, like garbage... I'm really making a conscious effort to find a positive spin on this decision. It's very hard...

How many decent players did he have to work with in JAX?

3rd and Long

Liked Posts:

That's a good point.... My problem is, it's very easy to have run an awful defense. You do it with bad players and/or bad coaches.... Tucker's career seems to be a long string of awful defenses. How do you parse the responsibility of the players and the coaches?

I'm very open minded to re-evaluate my opinion of Tucker. Right now, I don't see much more than wishful thinking... It's not like with Martz's offense where we could at least look back and hope he could somehow re-create what he had done somewhere before. There's nothing with Tucker.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Everybody keeps bringing this up...The Jags have been drafting very early these last couple years. Did Tucker have no say in the defensive players being drafted?

rudder

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's a good point....

Not really.

Coaches should be able to develop players and get the most out of them. Lovie consistently had so-so players over-achieving and looking serviceable, if even for only a year or two. I don't give a shit who tries to use the excuse "who could have done better with that many injuries"...Lovie would have, as would any DC worth a damn. You don't go from top 5 D to the worst defense in franchise history by accident.

Nick80

Not really.

Coaches should be able to develop players and get the most out of them. Lovie consistently had so-so players over-achieving and looking serviceable, if even for only a year or two. I don't give a shit who tries to use the excuse "who could have done better with that many injuries"...Lovie would have, as would any DC worth a damn. You don't go from top 5 D to the worst defense in franchise history by accident.

True, then again injuries and decline. I mean if people are going to be stuck records it works both ways right?

rudder

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You don't go from top 5 D to the worst defense in franchise history by accident.

To expound on this, the Bears gave up 478 points this season. The last 4 expansion teams have fielded better defenses from scratch in their first seasons- Jags 404 pa, Carolina 325 pa, Browns 437 pa, and Texans 356 pa.

New coaches, new players, new systems, entirely new franchises...and yet they fielded stronger defenses than Tucker did this year.

Nick80

To expound on this, the Bears gave up 478 points this season. The last 4 expansion teams have fielded better defenses from scratch in their first seasons- Jags 404 pa, Carolina 325 pa, Browns 437 pa, and Texans 356 pa.

New coaches, new players, new systems, entirely new franchises...and yet they fielded stronger defenses than Tucker did this year.

What about all the variables though?

Saluki

Liked Posts:
Then why not fire all the position coaches because no one looked prepared out there ever.

The db's were bad, but when you have the worst run d in the history of your orginization then dline and lbs take the brunt of that.

Hoke is the only one who didn't get fired though you could argue that everyone involved with that D could have been let go

bullsadonisdna

Liked Posts:
Variables be damned, the meatballs want their pound of flesh.

This is football you freakin meatballs not algebra. How many variables do u have to find for the worst run defenses in nfl history? U could build a mountain with all the variables that would lead to a d this bad.

rudder

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Variables be damned, the meatballs want their pound of flesh.

And the blind homers will continue to swallow the gobs of hot slimy shit they are fed and try to convince everyone that it really doesn't taste that bad.

Nick80

Hmmm, blind homers, gobs of hot slimy shit, tasting bad, meatballs and algebra ... Variables. Sounds like alot of blobbing to me. :troll:

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Hmmm, blind homers, gobs of hot slimy shit, tasting bad, meatballs and algebra ... Variables. Sounds like alot of blobbing to me. :troll:

Alright.

rudder

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
you forgot the pound of flesh

Nick80

Get to work, we are still a vote behind to become joint people of office. I've been busy with blind homers, meatballs, and 80s pop. Oh and Cutler reared his ugly head in another thread, it's misery, get on it!

:D

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
And the blind homers will continue to swallow the gobs of hot slimy shit they are fed and try to convince everyone that it really doesn't taste that bad.

You wouldn't know a blind homer if one bit you.

You can kiss my ass and call it a love story.

rudder

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
rudder: "um, I don't like eating shit."

teddykgb: "well, Emery is gonna sprinkle salt and pepper on it in april, then I will take 3 bites to see if I like it"