Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
It sounded from Emerys comments on the past and now he was always intended to be used as a moving part and situation like rusher like that. They did a lot last year in the mid of the season too. Cowboys game last year did it well a bunch. But injury making Izzy play DT just like injuries this year made that thrown out. I know you need bodies but I think both times it was bad choices.

Sent from my LGL85C using Tapatalk 2
I do remember him dropping off the line to cover TE's a fair amount in 2012. I thought that would be his value moving forward, as a guy that you could disguise coverages and confuse blocking assignments. Sort of a hybrid DE/LB, where he would line up as DE and cover with a OLB blitzing. I don't know if that stopped this year as an intended change, or need due to injuries, but I doubt he was ever seen as a 3 down 4-3 DE.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
At this point all I want Shea to be is serviceable expecting anything more is setting myself up for disappointment.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
he's a 3-4 linebacker or nothing. what's he going to do at SAM? blitz every time? he doesn't have the skill set to cover, or play the run, or do anything else an outside linebacker has to do.

he has no place in a 4-3. they can try him at SLB, but if they stay with a 4-3, he will not be on the opening day roster.

It remains to be seen whether he has the skill set to cover.

And if he can't play the run as a SAM then not sure how you think he would be able to play it in a 3-4. The thing is as a SAM, you have more space to evade the blocker and you tend to go up against TEs or HBs more. It was always dumb that they played Shea a lot of the time as a LE where it was easy for him to get engulfed. He should have been playing mostly RE with the bigger Peppers/Wooten playing over on the left side.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
Trolling or serious? Shea does not have the size to be an effective DE but has the strength, speed and brains to succeed at the linebacker position. I rate him above a hunter hillenmeyer, who if you remember only started for the bears for a few years...

He has the speed (albeit playing fast and being fast is not the same thing). Debatable on the strength (Will he be able to shed blocks or stop the run?). But what has he done to make you think he has the brains? Just wondering why you threw that in there. You could argue that isn't a matter of intelligence, but over the course of 2 seasons McClellin still makes the same mistakes every week, has difficulty reading and reacting, and can't maintain gap discipline. There is also the question of whether he can turn, drop into coverage, and cover players. But I agree he does not have the ability to be an effective DE.

DaDanimal

CBMB Fugitive.
Donator
Liked Posts:
I thought a majority of people figured when we drafted Shea that it would be Lovie's last year - followed by a year of "don't fix what isn't broken" - which would then be followed by a 3-4.

Blap

Liked Posts:
Well, anything would be an upgrade over Greene. Might as well give him a shot