Sources: Cubs pursuing Pujols, Fielder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anno Catuli

World Series Dreaming
Liked Posts:
KEN ROSENTHAL

UPDATED NOV 29, 2011 2:33 AM ET

The Cubs are pursuing both Albert Pujols and Prince Fielder, and not simply because the free-agent first basemen are difference-makers.

New Cubs president Theo Epstein and general manager Jed Hoyer have made it clear that they intend to rebuild the team. However, the Cubs are indeed showing interest in both Pujols and Fielder, major league sources say.

Pujols, 31, is nearly 3½ years older than Fielder, but sources say the Cubs are more willing to go long-term with Pujols, who is the better defender according to advanced metrics. Some teams, concerned by Fielder’s body would prefer him on a shorter, high-dollar deal.

By signing one of the two, the Cubs would ensure that they are set with a premier slugger as they try to return to prominence in the NL Central.

The Dodgers’ recent signing of center fielder Matt Kemp to an eight-year, $160 million contract leaves Rangers outfielder Josh Hamilton as the top free-agent hitter in next year’s class – and it’s possible that Hamilton, too, might never hit the open market.

Meanwhile, the Cubs’ goal of rebuilding through the draft took a hit in the new CBA, which will penalize teams that spend over set limits on amateurs. Clubs that exceed the limits will be subject to taxes and the loss of top picks.

Some executives speculate that the restrictions on draft spending will lead clubs to boost their major-league payrolls. Teams also spend more historically in the first off-season of a new CBA, confident that the game’s short-term economic future is secure.

The Cubs are the third team known to have interest in Pujols, joining the Cardinals and Marlins. Fielder’s known list of suitors includes the Brewers and Nationals, and the Mariners also are believed to have interest.

The Rangers eventually could enter the mix for both players, and the Nationals could grow more interested in Pujols. The Nats’ talks with Fielder hit a significant roadblock Monday, sources said.

Chicago Cubs pursuing Albert Pujols and Prince Fielder, according to a source - MLB News | FOX Sports on MSN

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why does Ken Rosenthal have to make me have a little bit of hope?

I would love for this report to be true but it doesn't make sense given alll the talk of trading all of our decent veterans and then sign a 31 year old (who might even be older than that) superstar.

I don't think Pujols would sign with the Cubs anyway unless the money was significantly better than the 9 year/210 deal St Louis has one the table and that doesn't seem possible.

still want Fielder though.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs Pursuing Fielder and Pujols |

According to Ken Rosenthal, the Cubs are pursing ex Brewers’ Prince Fielder and ex Cardinal’ Albert Pujols. Rosenthal states, Cubs “also are acknowledging two emerging realities – a dwindling number of sluggers available in future free-agent markets and the restrictions on spending in the amateur draft under baseball’s new collective bargaining agreement.” So…that’s another reason why the Cubs would pursue the 2 1B sluggers.

The Cubs reportedly are more willing to go long-term with Albert Pujols over Prince Fielder. That does make sense because Fielder is slated to become a DH later in his career. Pujols is a little more than 3 years older than Fielder.

This comes as no surprise, as the Cubs need a 1B and Fielder/Pujols fits the bill. I have to say…Fielder would be a better choice in the long run. Either way, one or both teams will surely hurt in ’12 if they lose their big 1B slugger. That means the Cubs would then jump up in 2012 and compete. The Cubs do need more than just Fielder or Pujols, but it’s a good start and you have to imagine, Team Theo will add more pieces to the team….if that comes in a trade or free agency.

We have not heard the Cubs linked to Pujols much and just Fielder. Probably the reason being that he’ll re-sign with the Cardinals. It’s been reported a few times that he already did re-sign, but were all false reports. So..now you can add the Pujols rumors to the Cubs mix. However, the Cards have offered Albert 9 years/210 million. They made that offer before 2011 season and he declined. Now the Cards will not go up from 9 years/200-210 million, per Jon Heyman.

Buster Olney tweeted this morning that “The mere perception Cubs are after Pujols/Fielder helps the Cubs, to potentially drive up the price for division rivals.”

The Brewers said they are not going to re-sign Fielder and are looking at other options. The Brewers have talked to the agents of Jose Reyes, Aramis Ramirez and Rafael Furcal. In await of Fielder leaving.

The Cubs are not the only team that has interest in both 1B sluggers. Quite a few of other teams are pursuing one or both. The Mariners could have interest in Fielder, the Rangers could pick up the pursuit of both, the Marlins reportedly made an offer to Pujols (around 190 million) and the Nats could have interest in both. Talks with Fielder reportedly hit a roadblock. That could mean the Nats could switch their attention to Pujols.

Jim Bowden of ESPN.com has heard the Cubs would be players in free agency and could make a splash or two. Could one be for Pujols or Fielder? It sure does sound like it could. Team Theo has already spoken to Scott Boras and Prince Fielder has to be brought up. Only time will tell and the rumors ’bout these two have just begun.

O’ My, the Winter Meetings sound like it’ll be fun.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I still love Fielder but i think this is to get Fielder and Pujols asking price even higher

bbaker

Liked Posts:
Get them both. :beerbang: :crazydance:

Lex L.

Liked Posts:
Whore:shifty:

Fielder I would think based off of Epstein's wishes of paying players for future performance, and not past.

As has been mentioned, Fielder has bigger risk in some ways than Fielders.

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just taking a stab here..

I can see us getting Pujols and Fielder leaving the NL.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just taking a stab here..

I can see us getting Pujols and Fielder leaving the NL.

I have head that good reason to go after Pujols. about 99% chance Fielder dont go to MIL so then if Cubs got Fielder, 2 NLC teams get worse while Cubs get better

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Unless the Cubs come in with the highest dollars, I can't see either coming. Why would a free agent take less to come to Chicago if they didn't have to?

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Unless the Cubs come in with the highest dollars, I can't see either coming. Why would a free agent take less to come to Chicago if they didn't have to?

If the Cubs are serious about it they will pay the most. That's the name of the game as you have astutely pointed out.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Certainly Albert might take cash over chance. He's got two rings. I think Fielder wants a ring more.

Status
Not open for further replies.