Stanley Cup Finals Pre-Series Discussion/Speculation

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Re: 5/29 - SCF Game 1 - Flyers (0) @ (0) Blackhawks 7:00PM NBC

Updated: May 28, 2010, 10:59 AM ET

The Blackhawks' main advantage

Shot differential -- a good indicator of postseason success -- swings heavily to Chicago

By Tom Awad

Puck Prospectus

Archive

Getty ImagesDuncan Keith's abilities at puck control give Chicago a huge advantage in any series.

When you think of teams that win the Stanley Cup, you usually come back to these main trends: quality goaltending, reliable defense and explosive offense. The Chicago Blackhawks, though, are once again proving the importance of one of hockey's most fundamental concepts: good old-fashioned puck control.

The Blackhawks were the regular-season's best team by shot differential, outshooting their opponents by 731 shots, or 8.9 shots per game. The second place team, the Pittsburgh Penguins, were not even half as good, outshooting their opponents by 4.2 shots per game. Not only were the Blackhawks the season's best team by this measure, but they were one of the all-time best. Here are the top 12 teams of the last 12 years, all of whom managed to outshoot their opponents by at least 550 shots on the season:

The Best At Shot Differential

These are the best 12 teams of the past 12 years in the shot differential category, which speaks to puck possession ability. Check out how far most of them have advanced.

Team Name Season Shots/Game Shots Against/Game Differential Playoff Result

Detroit Red Wings 2008 34.4 23.5 10.9 Won Stanley Cup

Detroit Red Wings 2007 33.8 24.6 9.2 Lost Conference Final

Chicago Blackhawks 2010 34.1 25.1 9.0 In Stanley Cup Final

Detroit Red Wings 2009 36.2 27.7 8.5 Lost Stanley Cup Final

New Jersey Devils 2003 31.7 23.6 8.1 Won Stanley Cup

St. Louis Blues 2000 29.8 22.1 7.7 Lost First Round

Detroit Red Wings 2006 34.1 26.6 7.5 Lost First Round

New Jersey Devils 2000 33.1 25.6 7.5 Won Stanley Cup

St. Louis Blues 1999 30.1 22.8 7.3 Lost Second Round

Philadelphia Flyers 1999 29.9 22.9 7.0 Lost First Round

New Jersey Devils 2001 31.6 24.7 6.9 Lost Stanley Cup Final

St. Louis Blues 2001 30.4 23.6 6.8 Lost Conference Final

This is a very good group of teams, containing three Stanley Cup Champions, two other Stanley Cup finalists and two Conference finalists. Eight of the 12 teams on that list made the conference finals.

We can also see that the list is dominated by three teams: the 2006-2009 Detroit Red Wings, the 2000-2003 New Jersey Devils, and the 1999-2001 St. Louis Blues. Both the Wings and the Devils were the dominant team of their era. The Blues had the misfortune of peaking at the same time that Colorado and Dallas were also at their zenith, and never managed to break through in the playoffs.

What do all these teams have in common that allows them to dominate play and shots to this extent?

Multiple puck-moving defensemen. The Red Wings' blue line has been patrolled for nearly two decades by Nicklas Lidstrom, arguably the best of his generation. In the 2000s, he was paired first with Mathieu Schneider and later with Brian Rafalski. The 2000-2003 New Jersey Devils had one of the finest troikas of defensemen ever assembled, with Scott Niedermayer, Scott Stevens and, again, Rafalski. The 1999-2001 St. Louis Blues had a young Chris Pronger and a gray-haired Al MacInnis, a combination that -- with better goaltending and a little luck -- could have produced a Cup (as Pronger has since shown). While all of these teams had all-star forwards, their defensemen are what really set them apart.

It now becomes obvious why these Blackhawks are so good at outshooting their opposition. In Duncan Keith, Brent Seabrook and Brian Campbell, the Blackhawks have assembled the best blue line in the NHL. Keith is the heir to Lidstrom as the finest two-way defenseman in the NHL; even on an Olympic team with Niedermayer, Pronger, Shea Weber and Drew Doughty, he led the team in ice time. Campbell is the offensive sparkplug, capable of making the most dangerous clearing passes and jumping into the rush. Seabrook is the defensive rock, tasked with shutting down the opposition's top lines, but with enough offensive skill that he's dangerous with the puck and can still man the power play. Among all NHLers, Keith was No. 1 in outshooting the opposition while he was on the ice, with the Hawks outshooting their opponents by 259 shots at even-strength. Campbell was No. 2.

The Hawks are also helped by the complete game that their forwards -- think Jonathan Toews -- bring to the ice. Apart from his scoring touch, Toews is one of the best faceoff men in the NHL, winning an incredible 57.3 percent of his draws, second only to Patrice Bergeron among players with 1,200 or more faceoffs. He also is among the league leaders in takeaways, no small feat when your team seemingly always has the puck. They have many other forwards, such as Marian Hossa, Patrick Sharp, Dustin Byfuglien and Dave Bolland, who can both play physically and threaten to score. All this helps puck possession.

The Blackhawks' recipe is simple: take a few all-star defensemen, add some forwards who know how to backcheck, and never let the other guys touch the puck. It's a recipe that other teams would love to emulate -- and the Philadelphia Flyers can only hope to stop.

Tom Awad is an author of Puck Prospectus.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Very good article MH. It's funny that Flyers fans just can't understand it. They will see, oh yes they will.

Rdrhwke

Liked Posts:

[quote name="Tater"]Very good article MH. It's funny that Flyers fans just can't understand it. They will see, oh yes they will.[/quote]

You expected more from grammar school dropouts?

IceHogsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

[quote name="PatrickSharpRules"]Jesus fucking christ, get POLITICS OUT OF OUR STANLEY CUP THREAD!!!!

Its a never ending petty bullshit argument, Hawks NOW!!!![/quote]

You know PSR, you are correct.

My apologies.

PatrickSharpRules

Liked Posts:

Sooooooooo, can the Cup start already.

Rdrhwke

Liked Posts:

[quote name="PatrickSharpRules"]Sooooooooo, can the Cup start already.[/quote]

Not for another day...... :(

CLWolf81

Fan Captain
Liked Posts:

Its typical for there to be a 4 day wait between the last Finals game and the Game 1. I did mention that before, you guys.

Rdrhwke

Liked Posts:

[quote name="CLWolf81"]Its typical for there to be a 4 day wait between the last Finals game and the Game 1. I did mention that before, you guys.[/quote]

Sorry Wolfie, but the Hawks are FINALLY back in the finals and expecting some of us to remember that is asking an awful lot.

PatrickSharpRules

Liked Posts:

[quote name="Rdrhwke"]
[quote name="CLWolf81"]Its typical for there to be a 4 day wait between the last Finals game and the Game 1. I did mention that before, you guys.[/quote]

Sorry Wolfie, but the Hawks are FINALLY back in the finals and expecting some of us to remember that is asking an awful lot.[/quote]

Dude, I mean I have done a fair amount today, yard work, cooked dinner, and all I can do is think about the cup. I'm just gonna get really drunk so I time warp to tomorrow.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:

[quote name="PatrickSharpRules"]
[quote name="Rdrhwke"]

Sorry Wolfie, but the Hawks are FINALLY back in the finals and expecting some of us to remember that is asking an awful lot.[/quote]

Dude, I mean I have done a fair amount today, yard work, cooked dinner, and all I can do is think about the cup. I'm just gonna get really drunk so I time warp to tomorrow.[/quote]

I have done nothing all day, trying to pass time by posting on here which is usually a good time waster. I like your thought though. I think I'll get horrifically drunk and warp till tomorrow night. I'm heading to Korean BBQ with friends, should be interesting.

Rdrhwke

Liked Posts:

[quote name="MassHavoc"]
[quote name="PatrickSharpRules"]

Dude, I mean I have done a fair amount today, yard work, cooked dinner, and all I can do is think about the cup. I'm just gonna get really drunk so I time warp to tomorrow.[/quote]

I have done nothing all day, trying to pass time by posting on here which is usually a good time waster. I like your thought though. I think I'll get horrifically drunk and warp till tomorrow night. I'm heading to Korean BBQ with friends, should be interesting.[/quote]

Memorial Day weekend guys. Lots of cops out there so be careful.

CLWolf81

Fan Captain
Liked Posts:

[quote name="Rdrhwke"]

I keep forgetting that sometimes. Its one of the weaknesses for my being this far a 3rd time in my hockey history... Never thought I'd come back, though, honestly. It is still a shock to me. Even then, I still prepare for a game like this mentally by just doing everything else ahead of time, like chores, work, and whatnot. Nothing changes in my daily routine.

When it comes, it comes, and I'll be ready for it... especially this series. Its for the Holy Grail and a promise I've yet to have fulfilled. ;) Trust me, I'll be ready.

howcho

Liked Posts:

[quote name="MassHavoc"]I have done nothing all day, trying to pass time by posting on here which is usually a good time waster. I like your thought though. I think I'll get horrifically drunk and warp till tomorrow night. I'm heading to Korean BBQ with friends, should be interesting.[/quote]

Will you be BBQ'ing a North or South Korean? Do you serve a Chardonnay or a nice Merlot with that?

howcho

Liked Posts:

Woe is me.

Learned a couple of days ago that I will be installing a server in one of our remote locations, this Saturday. I am to commence this operation at the close of business, Saturday evening (5pm pacific). Can't sluff it either as I have another install in another location on Sunday.

Oh boy, I'm giddy with joy!

I am praying to the heavens that there will be an encore telecast later on Saturday evening when I finally hit the motel room. sigh!

Save me Jebus

Ashor-redtribe

Liked Posts:

guys, its 1:28 and im soo wired and nervous. anyway I kept checking tickets and all sights known to mankind, they are going down slowly but those taxes and service charges plus shipping is whats rapping you. keep in mind when you see the tickets cheaper on one sight over another it's all the other charges they are getting you, and vis versa. FUCKIN BROKERS. Any way I will be checking at work today since its sat. for last min deals I know I will get something its just the matter of which day I want to go. I really don't want to be in the same building with Martin Luther King wanna be on Monday though. We shall see. I'm about to piss in my pants from this waiting. OHH one more thing, what about all these talk radio shows now discussing the Hawks making the finals like they really gave a shit when they were not even the talk of the town. I felt like calling them and saying please change the topic because your not worth it.

bookjones

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

[quote name="IceHogsFan"]

That is just fodder because he has to do something.

Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is where his ass should be
.[/quote]

GMAFB. That? Might be one of the crassest pieces of garbage I've ever read up in here. So the military servicepeople who are buried at Abraham Lincoln are somehow less deserving of the POTUS's valuable Memorial Day time? Next time I visit my grandfather's grave there I'll be sure to clue him on that edict. Gee, and here I was thinking that it was sort of neat that a sitting President who happened to represent IL before assuming office and who admires Lincoln would be visiting a national cemetery named in honor of that other adopted son of IL turned President. The nerve of him!

PatrickSharpRules

Liked Posts:

[quote name="bookjones"]

GMAFB. That? Might be one of the crassest pieces of garbage I've ever read up in here. So the military servicepeople who are buried at Abraham Lincoln are somehow less deserving of the POTUS's valuable Memorial Day time? Next time I visit my grandfather's grave there I'll be sure to clue him on that edict. Gee, and here I was thinking that it was sort of neat that a sitting President who happened to represent IL before assuming office and who admires Lincoln would be visiting a national cemetery named in honor of that other adopted son of IL turned President. The nerve of him![/quote]

I know I said no politics in here, but:

kelso_burn.gif

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:

Let's not try and sully the Finals discussion with flag waving debates (unless they have an indian head on them). Start up another thread and we can discuss Obama coming into town (and the politics related).

Let's keep it on track, or the next derail can lick my moderator balls.

I just finished a bunch of work in my garage, and they're real sticky.

:dance:

Anyhow, Let's go Hawks.

bierboy

Liked Posts:

GAME DAY, BABY! Drop the ever-loving, freakin' PUCK ALREADY!!!!!!