Stanley Cup Finals Pre-Series Discussion/Speculation

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Re: CONGRATULATIONS EVERYONE!!!! STANLEY CUP FINALS!!!

Lord Stanley, you have something that belongs to us.

whiteevo

Liked Posts:
Re: TBD - SCF Game 1 - TBD (0) @ (0) Blackhawks TBD NBC

i'm still on cloud 9. really can't even believe it.

it feels so good cheering for a team that you live and die with, remembering back to those days where you could have a whole row of seats to yourself. to see them winning on the biggest stage is crazy. the fight in this group is rediculous.

now i just gotta get over the fact that its gonna cost a grand to see a cup game. i really could give a shit about the cost though.

gotta get some cup finals patches for the jerseys guys!!

GOOOO HAWKKKSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!

Ashor-redtribe

Liked Posts:

Rk any word on Ladd since Q seems to think he will be ok? I'm jacked for the next round. I don't know whom I want, but I would love to see Hawks vs Montreal, but thats a long shot now I guess. We should get a hawks night out whom ever can't go to the game.

Shredder

Liked Posts:

A nice little subplot will be the fact that we'd hand over the Longest Drought title to the Leafs if we win it all. As if there wasn't enough angst there already.

klemmer

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

[quote name="Shredder"]A nice little subplot will be the fact that we'd hand over the Longest Drought title to the Leafs if we win it all. As if there wasn't enough angst there already.[/quote]

Excellent!

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

My tale of the tape:

The 'hawks biggest adversary will be complacency and playing down to either of these teams. Leighton and Halak have shown utter brilliance in stealing games recently, and being 7/8 seeds aren't going to help.

But, that being said, neither of those teams have faced any team with the depth the 'hawks have. 'hawks can roll 3 lines that are legit scoring threats, and all 4 lines are solid on D. We have the best D-man tandom that can play near 30 mins/game, have one of the best breakout-d's, and even our last pairing is solid in the back end.

Further, one could argue that Niemi has stolen a couple.

I think that to win, the 'hawks need to be in full business mode (like they were after the win), and play either team like they were the caps or the sharks--take nothing for granted and treat each line like it's Malkin/Crosby/Ovechkin/Pronger/Doughty.

In a nutshell, the key for the 'hawks is not to play down, but to play up.

Lastly, the Hossa curse: it's rebuttal.

The last time Hossa was with/brough a team to the championship and won was the 1998 memorial cup, in which he led the Portland Winterhawks to victory. One could argue that 12 years is a long time ago, and cannot be taken seriously, however, notice the style of the Winterhawk sweater:

portland_winterhawks_1997-98_front.jpg

And lets not forget that the Winterhawks sweaters were originally donated by the Blackhawks.

Thus, I think the antidote the the "Hossa curse" is truly the Indianhead. Hopefully history will prove my theory correct. :evil:

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:

Philly may give the Hawks some fits - it's not going to be easy....they have a good combination of size and speed as well - I think they are better than their 7th seed.

Getting Carter and Lapierriere back is big for them - but I dont think Leighton will have 3 SO's against CHI

Gagne - Richards - Carter

Hartnell - Giroux - Briere

JVR - Lieno - Asham

Carcillo - Betts - Lappierere

Cornflake

Liked Posts:

Yes been waiting for this one for quite some time. What a change in terms of support. How many times when people found out I was a hawks fan I'd get laughed at, a confused look would appear on faces of others, or the most common response was one word 'why?'

Basically it's felt like I was cheering for the Atlanta Thrashers until a few years ago in terms of responses from people.

I told some of the youth on my rec hockey team that you need to be a certain age to actually enjoy the potential winning of the cup, but if you supported and regularly followed the hawks through this decade you should get some bonus years lol. It was easy when I was a young kid cheering for the Larmer, Roenick, Belfour years....not so much the ABC lines and Passmore years lol.

BTW is anybody else growing their beards still? I haven't heard much from people concerning their beards since it should be longer than last years by now lol. I am being told at work that I look like a hobo and need to trim it down.

whiteevo

Liked Posts:

[quote name="Cornflake"]Yes been waiting for this one for quite some time. What a change in terms of support. How many times when people found out I was a hawks fan I'd get laughed at, a confused look would appear on faces of others, or the most common response was one word 'why?'

Basically it's felt like I was cheering for the Atlanta Thrashers until a few years ago in terms of responses from people.

I told some of the youth on my rec hockey team that you need to be a certain age to actually enjoy the potential winning of the cup, but if you supported and regularly followed the hawks through this decade you should get some bonus years lol. It was easy when I was a young kid cheering for the Larmer, Roenick, Belfour years....not so much the ABC lines and Passmore years lol.

BTW is anybody else growing their beards still? I haven't heard much from people concerning their beards since it should be longer than last years by now lol. I am being told at work that I look like a hobo and need to trim it down .[/quote]

mine is still going full throttle. i already had a headstart on the beard but i always thin it out to the "1" length on the trimmer. it is bushy as hell now. annoying too. plus i've been growing my hair out for a while (usually have a buzz). just last week my boss told me i look like shit.

obviously i can't do anything about it now

PYsebaert

Liked Posts:

Thats some pretty sweet fact there Shredder.

Now I just want the dates for then SC-final to be set so I can book my planetickets to Chicago. Btw, whats up with the hotelprices downtown, 450 usd/night???

Chief Walking Stick

Donator
Liked Posts:

[quote name="PYsebaert"]Thats some pretty sweet fact there Shredder.

Now I just want the dates for then SC-final to be set so I can book my planetickets to Chicago. Btw, whats up with the hotelprices downtown, 450 usd/night???[/quote]

Jee whiz Mr. Moneybags! Can just book a flight from Sweden to Chicago any time you feel like it? Must be nice ;)

Anyways... I'm not an expert on the Metra trains here but I'm sure someone could help you out. I would stay like 15 miles outside the city and you could probably use hotwire.com to find hotels for like $79.99/night. The trains from the Suburbs leave about every hour and take you right into downtown. When you walk out of Union Station you're literally standing right under the Willis "Sears" Tower.

Chief Walking Stick

Donator
Liked Posts:

[quote name="whiteevo"]
[quote name="Cornflake"]Yes been waiting for this one for quite some time. What a change in terms of support. How many times when people found out I was a hawks fan I'd get laughed at, a confused look would appear on faces of others, or the most common response was one word 'why?'

BTW is anybody else growing their beards still? I haven't heard much from people concerning their beards since it should be longer than last years by now lol. I am being told at work that I look like a hobo and need to trim it down .[/quote]

mine is still going full throttle. i already had a headstart on the beard but i always thin it out to the "1" length on the trimmer. it is bushy as hell now. annoying too. plus i've been growing my hair out for a while (usually have a buzz). just last week my boss told me i look like shit.

obviously i can't do anything about it now[/quote]

I shaved last night. Clean shave, nothing left. My regular season ended around 5PM last night.

Oh and rumors... well it's pretty much a fact. That if the Flyers win tonight or Wednesday Game 1 will be Saturday regardless. Otherwise probable start on Sunday afternoon.

I really hope if it starts on Saturday that it's an evening game.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

[quote name="Stu Grimson"]

I shaved last night. Clean shave, nothing left. My regular season ended around 5PM last night.

Oh and rumors... well it's pretty much a fact. That if the Flyers win tonight or Wednesday Game 1 will be Saturday regardless. Otherwise probable start on Sunday afternoon.

I really hope if it starts on Saturday that it's an evening game.[/quote]

I'm hoping it's Sunday. I can tolerate an afternoon (morning here) game, but Saturday evening I have a concert I have tickets for. I'd hate to miss it. :(

Irish Hawk

Liked Posts:

Absolutely amazing feeling being in the final. Even though my girlfriends sister ruined the surprise by texting her after the game last night to say that the Hawks won, even though she knew I wouldn't get to see the game till today she still had to tell me. Hard to believe looking back sitting in the Hartwall arena in October after that terrible loss to Florida that the team is only 4 games away from lifting the cup. Great performance all round but Niemi has to be singled out as the player of the play-offs so far. So roll on the weekend...

My beard is still going strong too even though it's pissing me off at this stage and everyone telling me I look sick.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:

1.) Yes, my beard is still going strong, had to trim the stache just a bit for an interview tomorrow, but haven't touched anything but the lines or it since I shaved before round 1 game 1. You're welcome.

2.) Would love an update on Ladd as well, was so happy that Keith was back out the same period.

3.) Had any player gone to three straight Stanley Cup finals with 3 different teams before? Also, 3rd time is the charm, Hossa get's it done.

Chief Walking Stick

Donator
Liked Posts:

[quote name="MassHavoc"]1.) Yes, my beard is still going strong, had to trim the stache just a bit for an interview tomorrow, but haven't touched anything but the lines or it since I shaved before round 1 game 1. You're welcome.

2.) Would love an update on Ladd as well, was so happy that Keith was back out the same period.

3.) Had any player gone to three straight Stanley Cup finals with 3 different teams before? Also, 3rd time is the charm, Hossa get's it done.[/quote]

Don't know but here's your random NHL nugget of the day.

Nieuwendyk won 3 cups on 3 teams in 3 different decades.

phranchk

Liked Posts:

[quote name="MassHavoc"]1.) Yes, my beard is still going strong, had to trim the stache just a bit for an interview tomorrow, but haven't touched anything but the lines or it since I shaved before round 1 game 1. You're welcome.

3.) Had any player gone to three straight Stanley Cup finals with 3 different teams before? Also, 3rd time is the charm, Hossa get's it done.[/quote]

They answered that on NHL on the fly today. The answer is no.

Razzberry

Liked Posts:

The answer to 3 is no. It's happened twice in baseball though (can't remember the players names because I didn't care enough to commit them to memory).

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:

[quote name="Razzberry"]The answer to 3 is no. It's happened twice in baseball though (can't remember the players names because I didn't care enough to commit them to memory).[/quote]

Interesting indeed.

Razzberry

Liked Posts:

One of the baseball guys won 1, the other won 2, so take that for what it's worth.