Stock Market/Investing

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
@MDB111™ do you ever buy stocks that are priced at ATHs or at least 52 wk highs?

I'm watching CNBC listening to these people tell me to buy shit that is at ATH and wondering if that ever works out well?

I suppose in some cases you buy and it just keeps going up and that's great, but my instinct tells me shit usually hits a sell wall and drops, so why would I not just hold my dry powder and buy it when it drops?

I can look for other opportunities in the intervening days/weeks/months or trade options.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
@MDB111™ do you ever buy stocks that are priced at ATHs or at least 52 wk highs?

I'm watching CNBC listening to these people tell me to buy shit that is at ATH and wondering if that ever works out well?

I suppose in some cases you buy and it just keeps going up and that's great, but my instinct tells me shit usually hits a sell wall and drops, so why would I not just hold my dry powder and buy it when it drops?

I can look for other opportunities in the intervening days/weeks/months or trade options.
What I'd tell you about watching CNBC?

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins

All the time. Momentum stocks are my favorite. Jjst make sure it's a solid company that has tons of volume and can afford to lose 20% in a month.

YOU will get caught at the top! But don't panic sell.

I probably make more money scalping Momentum plays than I do day-trading high volume day winners.

For someone like you who believes in say PLTR....My suggestion would be buy at first and buy every dip. If you get to 50% profit....Take it! Buy back in. Just wait the T+3 for your cash to settle.
If you don't want to wait,apply for full margin account and just don't use margined funds. Then you don't have to wait for settlement.

But absolutely, buy certain stocks at ATH. Christ, AAPL wouldn't be shit if no one bought at ATH. Some stocks just have perfect left to right trajectory.

Think V, SQ, AAPL, MA, MSFT

I buy all those all the time once per month. Whenever I have a shitty day, I look at those ones and remember I picked right!

The title to this book I'm about to recommend is hella douche lordy but this guy knows his shit

Trade Like a Stock Market Wizard by Mark Minervini....

Pick that up and he tells you all about trading momentum ATHs. He is the man. Get this book.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
What I'd tell you about watching CNBC?

giphy.gif

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

Since MDB answered.. I'll give you my own answer.

There are numerous times you could have bought Amazon or Apple at their ATH and it would have kept going up.

In 2014, you could have bought Amazon at 397.. in 2015, it would gone down to 330, but in 2016 it hit 600, and now it's over 3000.

Personally, my philosophy since I started trading was not buy ATH stocks unless I plan on owning it for years/decades/possibly forever.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Since MDB answered.. I'll give you my own answer.

There are numerous times you could have bought Amazon or Apple at their ATH and it would have kept going up.

In 2014, you could have bought Amazon at 397.. in 2015, it would gone down to 330, but in 2016 it hit 600, and now it's over 3000.

Personally, my philosophy since I started trading was not buy ATH stocks unless I plan on owning it for years/decades/possibly forever.

Yeah I mean I understand stocks can hit ATHs and keep going higher.

I was more picking on MDB because I'm pretty sure he's been investing for longer than the two of us combined lol.

I was wondering with experience if chasing hot stocks hitting highs was worth it more often than not, or if it was one of those FOMO traps.

And I'm talking normal stock behavior, not GME lol.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Yeah I mean I understand stocks can hit ATHs and keep going higher.

I was more picking on MDB because I'm pretty sure he's been investing for longer than the two of us combined lol.

I was wondering with experience if chasing hot stocks hitting highs was worth it more often than not, or if it was one of those FOMO traps.

And I'm talking normal stock behavior, not GME lol.
Ah yeah.. I think it really goes back to my philosophy of "how long do you want to own this" kind of thing.

I do laugh that I once owned Amazon back when it was a cool $100-150 stock. Only had like 25 shares.. but still. I do know my whole philosophy was to basically own stocks until I bought a home, so I knew I would never been a real long term owner.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Ah yeah.. I think it really goes back to my philosophy of "how long do you want to own this" kind of thing.

I do laugh that I once owned Amazon back when it was a cool $100-150 stock. Only had like 25 shares.. but still. I do know my whole philosophy was to basically own stocks until I bought a home, so I knew I would never been a real long term owner.

Ah man you got dem ? ? ? ? ? ?

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
@MDB111™ did you buy any DXYN?

Nice gains today, perfect little jump for a day-trade win.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
@MDB111™ did you buy any DXYN?

Nice gains today, perfect little jump for a day-trade win.
I didn't.I thought i set a but alert at 3.30 on Friday. But it hit 3.34 and was never triggered? I'm sure i screwed something up.

Did you get in?

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I didn't.I thought i set a but alert at 3.30 on Friday. But it hit 3.34 and was never triggered? I'm sure i screwed something up.

Did you get in?

I got in at 3.43... not where I wanted to be, but yeah I got in.

Do you ever feel like the fucking market/tools always seem to manage to find a way so you don't get the price you want lol?

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I got in at 3.43... not where I wanted to be, but yeah I got in.

Do you ever feel like the fucking market/tools always seem to manage to find a way so you don't get the price you want lol?

Do you do market orders or limit?
market order will bone you real good.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
VTHO pumping over 70% today while most other tokens are red. It's truly a sight to see.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Do you do market orders or limit?
market order will bone you real good.

Limit, always.

Idk I always seem to get bit by a running stock.

It runs past my limit unfulfilled at market open and then I have to chase it.

Feel like the price isn't the price.... like a car dealership.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Powell to the rescue again!!!

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Every day, record high. Is this the new normal?