Switching to a 3-4: Is it the right move?

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
I haven't watched any of Fangio's defense yet but Dan Durkin did and writes that Fangio runs a two-gap scheme up front with linebackers that play one gap. So if what Durkin writes is true, then it would make this article essentially factually incorrect that there are one-gap principles shared by both Fox and Fangio, not that Fox is even going to bother running the defense or implementing his scheme.

The three down linemen play two-gap responsibility, which means they’re attacking the player they’re lined up across from (opposed to one-gap, where defensive linemen attack the space in between offensive linemen), reading his leverage and occupying the immediate gaps to their left and right. The four-technique ends attack the offensive tackles, while the zero-technique attacks the center.

Also,incorrect is the statement that Del Rio leans 3-4 when he comes from the Tony Dungy defensive philosophy.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/01/22/durkins-playbook-breaking-down-vic-fangios-defensive-scheme/

Liked Posts:
I haven't watched any of Fangio's defense yet but Dan Durkin did and writes that Fangio runs a two-gap scheme up front with linebackers that play one gap. So if what Durkin writes is true, then it would make this article essentially factually incorrect that there are one-gap principles shared by both Fox and Fangio, not that Fox is even going to bother running the defense or implementing his scheme.

The three down linemen play two-gap responsibility, which means they’re attacking the player they’re lined up across from (opposed to one-gap, where defensive linemen attack the space in between offensive linemen), reading his leverage and occupying the immediate gaps to their left and right. The four-technique ends attack the offensive tackles, while the zero-technique attacks the center.

Also,incorrect is the statement that Del Rio leans 3-4 when he comes from the Tony Dungy defensive philosophy.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/01/22/durkins-playbook-breaking-down-vic-fangios-defensive-scheme/

Worng again. http://www.denverpost.com/ci_21672566/broncos-defense-features-classic-4-3-scheme-pass

Also, everything I have read, seen, & been told, tells me that Fangio runs a 1 gap. 49ers didn't have space eaters to run a 2 gap front.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:

He's wrong. Fangio ran mostly 1-gap 3-4. He did run some traditional 2-gap 3-4, but mostly ran a 1-gap according to most of what I've read.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
He's wrong. Fangio ran mostly 1-gap 3-4. He did run some traditional 2-gap 3-4, but mostly ran a 1-gap according to most of what I've read.

Interesting that everyone is saying Durkin is wrong, especially given that Fangio came from the Dom Capers and Dick LeBeau coaching tree...

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fangio has gone in and out of fronts with the niners......I would expect the same with the Bears.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Interesting that everyone is saying Durkin is wrong, especially given that Fangio came from the Dom Capers and Dick LeBeau coaching tree...

well he ran the niners defense for the last 4 years and so it's not like it's speculation. fangio does a lot of different things. he never ran a full time 2 gap scheme. he used some 2 gap concepts but his defense in san fran is closer to a one gap 4-3 under then a traditional 2 gap 3-4. his front was definitely not a two gap. he had a 305 pound nose tackle last year(ian williams). ends in a 2 gap 3-4 are essentially tackles...that was not what he did in san fran either.

again, because he ran such a versatile scheme in san fran it's hard to predict exactly what he's going to do...and also fox will probably have input but if his time in san fran is any indicator, you'll see a lot more one gap concepts then two gap concepts from fangio.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Worng again. http://www.denverpost.com/ci_21672566/broncos-defense-features-classic-4-3-scheme-pass

Also, everything I have read, seen, & been told, tells me that Fangio runs a 1 gap. 49ers didn't have space eaters to run a 2 gap front.

Del Rio coached to his personnel, but he's a 4-3 guy and always has been. Mel Tucker developed his 4-3 philosophy under Del Rio in Jacksonville. If you think Del Rio is a 3-4 guy than you're an even bigger moron than I thought.

Liked Posts:
Del Rio coached to his personnel, but he's a 4-3 guy and always has been. Mel Tucker developed his 4-3 philosophy under Del Rio in Jacksonville. If you think Del Rio is a 3-4 guy than you're an even bigger moron than I thought.

Keep crying Biff.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
well he ran the niners defense for the last 4 years and so it's not like it's speculation. fangio does a lot of different things. he never ran a full time 2 gap scheme. he used some 2 gap concepts but his defense in san fran is closer to a one gap 4-3 under then a traditional 2 gap 3-4. his front was definitely not a two gap. he had a 305 pound nose tackle last year(ian williams). ends in a 2 gap 3-4 are essentially tackles...that was not what he did in san fran either.

again, because he ran such a versatile scheme in san fran it's hard to predict exactly what he's going to do...and also fox will probably have input but if his time in san fran is any indicator, you'll see a lot more one gap concepts then two gap concepts from fangio.

This part is actually quite arguable, hell they have even listed their D-line personnel as LDT-NT-RDT. Sure, they aren't the prototypical mold of an under tackle as far as height/length (but weight is very close), but they often lined up in the B gap and played just as though they were 3-techs rather than traditional 5-tech DEs. So he did actually play his ends more like tackles, but not in the sense of an old-school interior 2-gap 4-3.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There are only 3 things certain in life:

1) death
2) taxes
3) any thread about 3-4 vs 4-3 defense or threads involving player contracts and caps will end up up in plenty of experts telling each other that they don't know what they're talking about

Josh2J

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
wnod.gif

just read Dan Durkin's column on 670...he pretty much nails it on why now is the time.

Escobar's Army

Liked Posts:
Let's hope he runs a D that utilizes the talent we have each season and if he has a preference that the team builds toward that preference. He has been effective running a variety of schemes so until he shows otherwise, I'm going with the assumption that he will do just that. I think most arguments on here are done just to see our opinions on the internet.