Tanaka Watch Thread (Cubs Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Tanaka to the dodgers makes no sense to me. Basically it means they'd have to then deal Beckett and likely Billingsley. I suppose you can make the argument it's a way to restock some of their farm system after using a lot of it to get the Red Sox players but they would be negotiating at a disadvantage because everyone would know they had to trade someone. It's actually a worse situation than they already have in the OF. At least there the guys are playing well. Beckett had a 5.19 ERA last year and a 4.65 ERA the year before. Billingsley is coming off an injury.

Frankly, if this does happen I'd love to see the cubs work a package deal of some sort for Billingsley and Either with the Dodgers eating some money. BIllingsley is going to be 29 and is a decently #3/4. Either will be 32 but if they could get the Dodgers to eat $11 mil of his deal you'd essentially have him at $15 mil/year for 4 years and then also have his 5th year $2.5 mil buy out covered. Billingsley, if healthy would give you another arm in case you trade Shark and you would also have additional space

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is what I said from the beginning. Teams that spend big like the Yanks and Dodgers. If they want the player, they will do whatever possible to get him then figure shit out later.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Tanaka to the dodgers makes no sense to me. Basically it means they'd have to then deal Beckett and likely Billingsley. I suppose you can make the argument it's a way to restock some of their farm system after using a lot of it to get the Red Sox players but they would be negotiating at a disadvantage because everyone would know they had to trade someone. It's actually a worse situation than they already have in the OF. At least there the guys are playing well. Beckett had a 5.19 ERA last year and a 4.65 ERA the year before. Billingsley is coming off an injury.

Frankly, if this does happen I'd love to see the cubs work a package deal of some sort for Billingsley and Either with the Dodgers eating some money. BIllingsley is going to be 29 and is a decently #3/4. Either will be 32 but if they could get the Dodgers to eat $11 mil of his deal you'd essentially have him at $15 mil/year for 4 years and then also have his 5th year $2.5 mil buy out covered. Billingsley, if healthy would give you another arm in case you trade Shark and you would also have additional space

Billingsley wont be back till after All Star Break. He be good piece for pen. Beckett now a 5 and LAD dont build teams of # 5. They look for 1, 2, or 3. They understand how Big Markets suppose to build

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

I could see this but then at least one of the big four would be traded away from the Cubs

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Billingsley wont be back till after All Star Break. He be good piece for pen. Beckett now a 5 and LAD dont build teams of # 5. They look for 1, 2, or 3. They understand how Big Markets suppose to build

Beckett apparently is a #6 cuz they just signed Haren. They already have Ryu, Kershaw, and Grienke.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
The Dodgers are drunk off of that insane tv contract. They are spending like crazy, but I can't hate though.

If the Sox ever spent money like that, spring training would be like Christmas morning to me. Hell, I'd even buy season tickets.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Dodgers are drunk off of that insane tv contract. They are spending like crazy, but I can't hate though.

If the Sox ever spent money like that, spring training would be like Christmas morning to me. Hell, I'd even buy season tickets.

Magic Johnson is one of the owner. He had enough money to fend off HIV. I think he has enough money to buy some players. "Showtime"

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Alex Rodriguez Suspension Now 162 Games
By Charlie Wilmoth [January 11 at 10:45am CST]
The result of Alex Rodriguez's appeal is in, and he will be suspended for 162 games, Bob Nightengale of USA Today tweets. Rodriguez plans to appeal the suspension in federal court. The suspension will cover the full 2014 season, and also the postseason, Yahoo! Sports' Tim Brown tweets. The suspension previously was 211 games. Even though the suspension was reduced, the decision by arbitrator Fredric Horowitz appears to be a victory for Major League Baseball, which won a suspension for A-Rod that goes far beyond those of other first-time PED offenders.

"The number of games sadly comes as no surprise, as the deck has been stacked against me from day one," says Rodriguez in a statement released on his Facebook page. "I am confident that when a Federal Judge reviews the entirety of the record ... the judge will find that the panel blatantly disregarded the law and facts, and will overturn the suspension."

The MLBPA, meanwhile, says in a statement that it disagrees with the arbitrator's decision, but respects the process that led to it. "We recognize that a final and binding decision has been reached, however, and we respect the collectively-bargained arbitration process which led to the decision," says the union.

A-Rod's suspension for the entire season means the Yankees will save about $24.3MM against the 2014 luxury tax threshold. Rodriguez's luxury-tax figure is $27.5MM, but Joel Sherman of the New York Post notes (via Twitter) that the Yankees will be assessed about $3.16MM of that, since 183 days, and not 162, counts as a year. In any case, the suspension could help the Yankees get below the $189MM threshold, if they choose. The Yankees will also save $25MM in salary.

That savings could give the Yankees more flexibility to pursue Masahiro Tanaka or other free agents. Also, the Yankees may now look for another option at third base, even though they have Kelly Johnson -- a report earlier today indicated that they could consider Michael Young or Mark Reynolds, both of whom are free agents.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Tommy Nickels won't spend on him, bank on it.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
per japan media: its between both LA teams and nyy.

Sent from my Rotary Phone using Tapatalk

chibears55

Liked Posts:
per japan media: its between both LA teams and nyy.

Sent from my Rotary Phone using Tapatalk

I heard that because his wife is a big Japanese star and wants to make a name for herself in the states. so yea I can see LA and NY being his destination of choice.. wouldn't surprise me to see the angels get him.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Frankly I don't buy translation of media reports. Reportedly there were no contract offers made during the various visits. Even if he has no intention of signing in say Chicago, why would he cut off negotiations with a team to drive up the price to his preferred destination?

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Frankly I don't buy translation of media reports. Reportedly there were no contract offers made during the various visits. Even if he has no intention of signing in say Chicago, why would he cut off negotiations with a team to drive up the price to his preferred destination?

Because the Cubs and White Sox don't have the desire to spend the monies for an elite international talent?

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was confident the Cubs weren't going to get him so I'm not heartbroken but man, this just cements that the offseason couldn't have been a bigger joke for the Cubs.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
[video=youtube;Ac6h2wczxGA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac6h2wczxGA[/video]

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Because the Cubs and White Sox don't have the desire to spend the monies for an elite international talent?

Why shut it down before offers are being made? What harm does it have to have more bids in? What incentive is there for Tanaka to shut down talks with teams at the earliest stages of negotiations?

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Why shut it down before offers are being made? What harm does it have to have more bids in? What incentive is there for Tanaka to shut down talks with teams at the earliest stages of negotiations?

Simple. Why waste time with teams that aren't interested in improving their team at a significant financial cost?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Last edited:

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Even if you are right are you really telling me that there are only 3 teams willing to invest significant money in Tanaka? I find that very hard to believe because that is what it would take for this report to be true.

Depends what you define as significant. I would say that logically those 3 teams monies would blow everyone else's out of the water, but like you said the wait and see approach is the best thing for this, as we've seen over recent offseasons, the "surprise" team is the one that seemingly gets the player.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
who says offers werent made on initial meetings ? we and media dont know what was being discussed in those meetings. . we dont even know for sure what teams actually talked to him. kinda strange we heard all about the white sox but not a peep about the cubs. . they asked for teams to keep meetings and discussion on a down low. so we dont know if offers were made or not but im guessing yes. .
there 12 days left, im sure they went back to japan to go over offers and discuss best place to be.. they prob come back next week to talk with their finalist to see if they can get a better offer and then make decision the final week.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.