Tanaka Watch Thread (Cubs Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Believe it or not, I think the A-Rod decision makes it less likely the Yankees sign Tanaka. Had the decision been reversed they had basically no shot to really stay under the luxury tax threshold. However, they now have roughly $23 mil to work with to find a 3B and another starter. Even if they go cheap at 3B you're talking $3-5 mil for a starter. It's sort of safe to assume Tanaka gets at least $20 mil average which would put them just barely over. If you're that close and it has been a stated goal to get under it why would you go over it? The team is built to win today and after that they are likely to be bad anyways as they don't have much young talent. They could instead pick up someone like Garza for $15-18 mil who helps them contend during their window. Additionally, resetting the luxury tax actually helps them in their ability to spend in the next several years.

patg006

Liked Posts:
Why wouldnt he want to break it? :)

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

I'm sure he doesn't.

The talent on this team says otherwise.

This is going to be a shit show year. On the bright side, I wont be short of money going to a game......

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Considering all of the false starts and speculative reports we experienced as the Rakuten Golden Eagles contemplated posting Masahiro Tanaka last month, we should probably take the following report with a grain of salt. With that said, we at least have to acknowledge whatSports Hochi out of Tokyo published in its Sunday newspaper.According to Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times, who translated the report on Twitter, Masahiro Tanaka has narrowed his list to three potential suitors:*New York Yankees,Los Angeles Dodgers*and*Los Angeles Angels.Hernandez says the report adds the Yankees are considered the favorites to sign Tanaka, which wouldn’t be a surprise, but he also cautions what we’re learning should be taken with a grain of salt.Fair enough.What we do know with certainty isTanaka traveled back to his native country on Saturday*after meeting with major league clubs this past week in Los Angeles. The*Chicago White Sox*are the only team to acknowledge their meeting with Tanaka, but it's reported he met with as many as 12 teams while in the U.S., including the Yankees, Dodgers and Angels.Tanaka did not speak to reporters upon his return to Narita airport in Tokyo. It's just a single report out of Tokyo that may or may not provide a clue into Tanaka's next move.If the report is true, we may be moving toward a Tanaka decision a little earlier than we anticipated. If not true, hey, we can’t complain too much, can we? We love a good mystery every now and then.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-b...masahiro-tanaka-according-083439346--mlb.html

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437 using Tapatalk

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
ESPN New York reporting Yankees, Angels, and Dodgers 3 finalists for Tanaka from a report from Japanese sporting news media outlet, Sports Hochi.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/yankees/post/_/id/68354/how-can-yanks-get-beat-on-tanaka-now

So. Now what does Boy Blunder do to prevent tying 119 loses?

Just like the blunder that is Rick Hahn plus the other twenty-five (besides Hahn and Hoyer) that missed out on him plus the two others soon to follow that missed out. How do you miss out when there is only twenty-nine other teams going for the player?

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Just like the blunder that is Rick Hahn plus the other twenty-five (besides Hahn and Hoyer) that missed out on him plus the two others soon to follow that missed out. How do you miss out when there is only twenty-nine other teams going for the player?

exactly. . especially considering if it true about his wife wanting to showcase herself in the states, where better to go then LA or NY.
so all the other teams never really had a chance.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Accept mediocrity. Pitiful.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Accept mediocrity. Pitiful.

no.. especially when it looks as if tanaka pretty much had his mind made up for his destination before talks began. if he indeed made his choice to those 3 teams without allowing others to try and bargain for him with 12 days remaining, shows where he was leaning as talks began as early reports stated about his wife who is a big star in Japan. NY and LA were going to be his destination of choice for his wife to further her career in the states.

patg006

Liked Posts:

Bullshit.

The cubs were expected and talked about as a major player for Tanaka. It was the Cubs, Yankees, and Dodgers everybody wouldn't shut up about as major players. DBacks reports came in late that they were big time players.

The white sox and other 25 you allude to weren't considered big players. Sure, its easy for you to say 'well he can only pick one team.'

It was supposed to be this team. Theo, this mastermind team builder you all slurp him to be, was supposed to have this guy in the bag. Bring him to Chicago, show him a bright future. With promising lottery tickets.

Another failure.

This entire front office should be fired if the cubs lose 100+. This dogshit, half baked braintrust has done nothing but mislead a dumb enough fan base to believe them. When will fans start holding this guy responsible?

The sickening part about this will be that Theo will get a free pass for missing on Tanaka. Even worse, he'll be exalted if Tanaka has a bad outing or slumps for not signing such an albatross contract to an unknown.

patg006

Liked Posts:
no.. especially when it looks as if tanaka pretty much had his mind made up for his destination before talks began. if he indeed made his choice to those 3 teams without allowing others to try and bargain for him with 12 days remaining, shows where he was leaning as talks began as early reports stated about his wife who is a big star in Japan. NY and LA were going to be his destination of choice for his wife to further her career in the states.

If that's what you need to sleep tonight, I'll let you believe it.

Maybe he heard the cubs' pitch of 'be part of a leading future along with prospects/lottery tickets' and wasn't the world's biggest idiot.

He didn't have his mind made up. The cubs' offer and pitch was just as bad as their last 2 seasons, and he didn't want to come to a lost cause.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
The cubs were expected and talked about as a major player for Tanaka. It was the Cubs, Yankees, and Dodgers everybody wouldn't shut up about as major players. DBacks reports came in late that they were big time players.

right, and who suggested they would be big players ? the media.. the same media that says the bears wouldn't bring back cutler or retain tucker..

Maybe he heard the cubs' pitch of 'be part of a leading future along with prospects/lottery tickets' and wasn't the world's biggest idiot

ok.. maybe the cubs offered up 7 yrs and 154 mil and he just didn't want it or LA and NY offered crazy more..
or maybe or maybe or maybe or maybe..

He didn't have his mind made up. The cubs' offer and pitch was just as bad as their last 2 seasons, and he didn't want to come to a lost cause.
yep, sure that what it was.. I bet you were right there listening to all of it too..

LMAO at you haters.. no matter what would of happened you would of found a reason to piss on these guys..lol

patg006

Liked Posts:
right, and who suggested they would be big players ? the media.. the same media that says the bears wouldn't bring back cutler or retain tucker..

ok.. maybe the cubs offered up 7 yrs and 154 mil and he just didn't want it or LA and NY offered crazy more..
or maybe or maybe or maybe or maybe..

yep, sure that what it was.. I bet you were right there listening to all of it too..

LMAO at you haters.. no matter what would of happened you would of found a reason to piss on these guys..lol

Its pretty hard to hate a rudderless ship I'm watching the cubs try to sail.

Pointing out the obvious clearly upsets you. I apologize.

2017 cubs playoff tickets go on sale when? Or is it 2018 now?

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:

I thought it was 2020

chibears55

Liked Posts:

LMAO.. yea ok.. whatever makes you sleep better..

don't know how old you are, but if what they've done the last couple yrs has given you this much hatred towards them, why the hell did you become a fan if before 1984 ?
or between 1989 to 1998 ? most of 2000's ?

they have been a mediocre to bad team for the better part of the last 45 years.. ok they didn't lose 100 games but they've 90+ a few times in that span..
just find it funny that you pick these last 2 yrs to get this hatred for them over all the years they have basically sucked for the majority of it ..LMAO

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
LMAO.. yea ok.. whatever makes you sleep better..

don't know how old you are, but if what they've done the last couple yrs has given you this much hatred towards them, why the hell did you become a fan if before 1984 ?
or between 1989 to 1998 ? most of 2000's ?

they have been a mediocre to bad team for the better part of the last 45 years.. ok they didn't lose 100 games but they've 90+ a few times in that span..
just find it funny that you pick these last 2 yrs to get this hatred for them over all the years they have basically sucked for the majority of it ..LMAO

They had a very good decade in 2000's. Alot of teams wish they could make playoffs 3 out of 5 yrs. 2003, 2007, 2008... They also were in playoff race in September in 2004, 2009. Only had 90 loss 2 times and both times after they made playoffs. Cubs were a very good team in 2000's. Before the 2000's i agree they were not good. Fans got a great taste in 2000's what winning is like. Had over .500 record in 7 of 10 yrs. Alot of MLB teams wish they could have that. Ask KCR, MIL, PIT, SEA, etc if they take that every decade. I know i sure would over this shit Cubs going through now

patg006

Liked Posts:

Because the last two years has been a dipshit front office who hasn't even tried to give a shit about being competitive. They have copped out behind 'this is the right way to build success,' 'every season is sacred,' and the goal every year is to win the world series. They have sucked for a long time, what's different about now is that everybody thinks prospects are a new, secret weapon to having a winning team.

If it were any other GM, if it was any other guy, you would be calling for his head. If Jim Hendry was doing this right now, you'd be the ones calling his head.

This franchise is being run by two incompetent frauds. But one has 2 world series rings in Boston.......because they were his teams.

patg006

Liked Posts:
They had a very good decade in 2000's. Alot of teams wish they could make playoffs 3 out of 5 yrs. 2003, 2007, 2008... They also were in playoff race in September in 2004, 2009. Only had 90 loss 2 times and both times after they made playoffs. Cubs were a very good team in 2000's. Before the 2000's i agree they were not good. Fans got a great taste in 2000's what winning is like. Had over .500 record in 7 of 10 yrs. Alot of MLB teams wish they could have that. Ask KCR, MIL, PIT, SEA, etc if they take that every decade. I know i sure would over this shit Cubs going through now

First mistake, trying to reason with the slurpers.

:fap:

Status
Not open for further replies.