TGDT: 11/14 Ducks @ Blackhawks 6:00PM CSN/NHLN

Shoots_he_scores

Liked Posts:
University of North Dakota, by way of Oak Lawn
Hiller's mask looked flat black, what's up with that?

It's a weird flat black finish with some weird small D on the forehead. Looks terrible but his masks usually do.

Great game from the hawks, honestly I can slowly see this team rounding into shape. Stalberg has impressed me more and more every game he plays, and he's quickly making Versteeg an afterthought. Crawford was exactly what you want to see out of your goalie last night, solid all game and spectacular when shorthanded. Keith looked much better too IMO. I think it's only a matter of time before this team explodes, and hopefully by the time the return home they've gotten this thing figured out and we see the team that we expected to see.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
What a play/pass by Soupy and thankfully, Keith didnt fuck that one up too.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
Seabrook and Hjarlmarsson had a strong game - Nik especially blocking shots.

Great job by Q to put those 2 together. I think Cullimore didnt play too bad either (yeah, I said it). Maybe Soupy is elevating his game...nah. Can't go that far. I think as long as he plays sound positionally, Campbell will cover for him. Cully is smarter than Walker was on the blueline and thats all Campbell needs in a partner. Just be where you're supposed to be for outlet/ D to D passes. Walker was never in postition for that and handled the puck like a hand grenade.

Anything Q can do to limit Keith's minutes until he gets his head out of his ass.

I guess the "effort" was there...since they won
<

bierboy

Liked Posts:
Not to rain on the parade here, but I thought the second goal against was a bit of a softie on Craw. I'll give him some slack though, since it was a laser.

Boys overall showed a much better effort for most of the game. Keith still hasn't found his game, but it's coming along (despite the horrible giveaway leading to goal #1)...and Hoss looks like he's getting it back, too....

Central PA Hawk Fan

Liked Posts:
Seabrook and Hjarlmarsson had a strong game - Nik especially blocking shots.

Great job by Q to put those 2 together. I think Cullimore didnt play too bad either (yeah, I said it). Maybe Soupy is elevating his game...nah. Can't go that far. I think as long as he plays sound positionally, Campbell will cover for him. Cully is smarter than Walker was on the blueline and thats all Campbell needs in a partner. Just be where you're supposed to be for outlet/ D to D passes. Walker was never in postition for that and handled the puck like a hand grenade.

Anything Q can do to limit Keith's minutes until he gets his head out of his ass.

I guess the "effort" was there...since they won
<

I liked the pairings as well. Its obvious the strategy. Q is trying to shelter Boyton and Cullimore to allow them to play more mins than they should but needs to keep the top 4 mins down enough to not wear them out.

I agree with you on Keith as well, they guys on NHL on the Fly were singing Duncs praises after this game but I thought he was pretty brutal outside of the nice shot for the tip in winner. Nice to see Q actually start to limit Keith some, as I think Keith will turn it around but its obvious right now he's struggling bad.

FlaHawkFan

Liked Posts:
What a play/pass by Soupy and thankfully, Keith didnt fuck that one up too.

pmxc, I usually think you're spot-on but you're starting to sound like Jaekel only with Keith as your whipping boy instead of Skille. Yeah, he made a big mistake that led to a goal (as it appeared Hammer did on the third Duck goal) but I thought he was solid after that. He's a good player and his career thus far leads me to believe he'll be fine. I guess I don't see the need to trash him after every game -- or every play -- especially when there are other players who have struggled so far this season as well.

I rarely read Jesse Rogers but he wrote an interesting column last week about Keith. Rogers talked to Scott Niedermayer and Chris Chelios and both said they had never seen any player coming off a long Stanley Cup run playing as many minutes as Keith has played this year. And Niedermayer pointed out that Keith's 30 mins per game are a lot tougher than might be the case for other d-men who don't expend energy jumping into the play and generally playing a more mobile game. Let's see if he gets better playing fewer minutes and simplifying his game playing with Boynton instead of relying on Seabs. If he doesn't get back to form, I'll agree he sucks and that every good play he makes is pure luck. Until then I'm willing to cut the guy some slack and recognize his good play rather than only his mistakes.

FlaHawkFan

Liked Posts:
Not to rain on the parade here, but I thought the second goal against was a bit of a softie on Craw. I'll give him some slack though, since it was a laser.

Boys overall showed a much better effort for most of the game. Keith still hasn't found his game, but it's coming along (despite the horrible giveaway leading to goal #1)...and Hoss looks like he's getting it back, too....

Hoss looked great last night. Hopefully that means he's recovering well from his injury. He looked tons better last night than he did even on Saturday. I love to watch that guy play the kind of physical game he played last night.

mill500

Liked Posts:
Hoss looked great last night. Hopefully that means he's recovering well from his injury. He looked tons better last night than he did even on Saturday. I love to watch that guy play the kind of physical game he played last night.

Yeah, I thought so too. He's pretty damned impressive when he's healthy enough to keep from getting knocked off the puck.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
When Keith plays well, I'll be the first to say so.

The guys the reigning Norris winner and is crucial to this team. It wasnt just the giveaway to the goal that was poor, IMO. He coughed a few up. His outlet passing has been horrendous...and this team relies on the first pass in their transition game.

No doubt the 30min a game he plays, and the 20gms in 39 days....missing Soupy has put more on his shoulders. But the little/small plays is what has concerned me about him. It hasnt just seemed that it's been 1 or 2 games with him...as he goes - so does alot of the team. The guy has been a leader on the blueline the last few years....and, again, IMO...has been brutal this year. As much as Cullimore, Hendry, Boynton, Scott get grief - I really don't expect great play out of them. I expect mistakes...their 500K players playing spot duty.

I think Hjarllmarsson (I think I spell his name differently every time) was terrible the first part of the year. Last few games, he's been stellar. And his play has helped the PK, kept the shots down and saved some goals with his blocking. The guy went and signed an offer sheet (dont blame him) to get paid big bucks, may have cost the Hawks a player along the way. Well....step up big boy and play like it.

Keith, is a reigning Norris winner. Signed a huge deal. I really dont expect the 60+ point season out of him, but for a guy that's been reliable in his own zone...a +84 the last 3 years...to be a -6 this year and again, IMO, making alot of mistakes has really hurt the Hawks. I don't think its a lack of effort, or he doesnt care, etc....I just think he's sucked. Too many minutes played - too much pressure on himself - whatever it is. I dont think the offense has been as bad as others. I figured they'd take time to get the flow. But the D group really only lost Sopel (and Soupy when he was hurt)....and they've been the weak link to this point. Before Campbell, giving up way too many shots on net, bad puck possesion, poor outlet passing...I just expect him to be better in his own zone.

Toews and Bolland are the other 2 in the core I think need to get going. TCD hit the nail on the head on some board play where it looked he gave up - and thats unlike him. I think there comes a time where he needs to be a 30-35 goal scorer and not the 20-25. He's better than that. Now, he plays in all 3 situations, best faceoff guy....so he still does alot. But with the chances he gets, I wish he'd start finishing. Bolland needs to be more of an impact player in the regular season as well. This team put him in that core group - over a guy like Ladd....and he needs to pay the team back by being better. 3pts in 14 games isnt good enough for a guy making 3.25mil per year. When Ladd has 18pts in 18gms.....Bolland needs to be better. His faceoffs have sucked. Again, I am not questioning their "heart" or "effort"....but the bottom line is, they need to produce and contribute.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
My only complaint about the game is that we should have put it away in the 3rd.

But a win is a win is a win and I'll take it. Plus, it was a win at home.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I feel as I must take full credit for this win. I made a rare appearance at the U.C. last night and wore my lucky black jersey.

They never lose when I wear that.

FlaHawkFan

Liked Posts:
Thanks, pmxc -- you definitely didn't owe any response but I appreciate it.

I agree that Duncan has been awful most of the year. I find myself yelling "DUNCAN!" at the TV screen the same way the STH whose seats are in front of ours used to yell "CAMERON!!!" at Barker. But damn, I hope the guy can turn it around and I have no reason to believe he can't. As frustrating as it is for us as fans to watch him make mistakes, it's got to be even more frustrating for him, knowing he's capable of being a great player but for some reason being unable to play that way right now. Still, I did think that after the huge mistake last night, he played a lot better, especially getting the puck out of the Hawks' end. He stopped playing fancy and just played, like he did on the GWG. I hope like crazy it's a sign that he's turning things around, and that the circus trip somehow does wonders for the guy, and for the whole team. Being the empathetic female that I am, it hurts to yell at the guy, even if it's on the TV!

God forbid he somehow turns into the hockey equivalent of Steve Sax or Rick Ankiel (although if he's Ankiel-like, I guess he could become a forward . . .)

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I agree that Duncan has been awful most of the year. I find myself yelling "DUNCAN!" at the TV screen the same way the STH whose seats are in front of ours used to yell "CAMERON!!!" at Barker. But damn, I hope the guy can turn it around and I have no reason to believe he can't. As frustrating as it is for us as fans to watch him make mistakes, it's got to be even more frustrating for him, knowing he's capable of being a great player but for some reason being unable to play that way right now. Still, I did think that after the huge mistake last night, he played a lot better, especially getting the puck out of the Hawks' end. He stopped playing fancy and just played, like he did on the GWG. I hope like crazy it's a sign that he's turning things around, and that the circus trip somehow does wonders for the guy, and for the whole team. Being the empathetic female that I am, it hurts to yell at the guy, even if it's on the TV!

God forbid he somehow turns into the hockey equivalent of Steve Sax or Rick Ankiel (although if he's Ankiel-like, I guess he could become a forward . . .)

Oooh, good Steve Sax reference. +1

CLWolf81

Fan Captain
Liked Posts:
I heard Brian Burke was in the house. Perhaps spending some time now second guessing himself for trading Stalberg. Then again, he probably has little time for that, instead spending most of the time second guessing himself for the Kessel trade.

Leafs are jonesing for goals, and just called up Nazem Kadri, who was the #7 pick in the 2009 draft.

Ya gotta think Hawks are discussing another possible trade with Burke if he was here.....

Maybe a trade will help wake up the team the core. wouldn't be surprised if hawks were thinking trade in large part for that reason.

-5Minutes

You also do realize that with the Ducks in town that night he might also be looking at them as well? Remember, him and Murray are butt buddies all the same when they worked together in Anaheim years ago.

Maiden

Liked Posts:

Somebody say "Barker?"

roshinaya

fnord
Donator
Liked Posts:
You also do realize that with the Ducks in town that night he might also be looking at them as well? Remember, him and Murray are butt buddies all the same when they worked together in Anaheim years ago.

Exactly and I think there were some Eklund rumours about Toronto and Anaheim looking to deal, but then again it's Eklund, so who knows. I doubt there is any trade talks between Burkie and Stan.

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:
Exactly and I think there were some Eklund rumours about Toronto and Anaheim looking to deal, but then again it's Eklund, so who knows. I doubt there is any trade talks between Burkie and Stan.

Toronto needs a center man. We do not have any depth at Center.

bierboy

Liked Posts:
...TCD hit the nail on the head on some board play where it looked he gave up - and thats unlike him. I think there comes a time where he needs to be a 30-35 goal scorer and not the 20-25. He's better than that. Now, he plays in all 3 situations, best faceoff guy....so he still does alot. But with the chances he gets, I wish he'd start finishing...

I claim bull-shite.....Toews never gives up. Yes, he hasn't put up the points we'd like, but give up? NEVER....