The 2013 Cubs are better than we think... (FanGraphs)

Freakyslow15

Liked Posts:
I never said Isn Stewart was awesome. I'm just saying Chavez is injured AGAIN- he had sucked the past 5 years now? And you tools are saying he's the answer to the Cubs' 3rd base woes lol.

And if you think Soriano's contract isn't ridiculous, then we should've just kept Aramis.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
It seemed to me he is saying Soriano's contract isn't ridiculous (it is) and is claiming 30-year old outfielders with 30/100 numbers all make Soriano money.

Going back, i see he was referring to Sori in '06 when the Cubs signed him. and yes i think it was a ridiculous contract then too. At the time it was the fifth largest deal ever. for alphonso soriano, for 8 years. He's averaged sucky numbers for that money.

And this is an open forum, anyone can comment. And why the hell are you speaking for him anyway?

Go mount more salami.

You still can't read and comprehend. Pat isn't close to being dumb enough to claim what you have stated.

That speaks volumes about how your brain operates.

Start banging your head against a brick wall and try again.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
And you tools are saying he's the answer to the Cubs' 3rd base woes lol.

Wrong.

What us people who are smarter than you are saying is that Chavez would be an improvement over Stewart and Valbuena even injured or not.

Not one person has said he is the long term solution to the 3B situation despite your little temper tantrums, just that he would be a big improvement over what the team has now.

And if you think Soriano's contract isn't ridiculous, then we should've just kept Aramis.

Absolutely they should have kept Ramirez.

Now queue the #TheoSpankFest and they come up with excuses on how Ramirez didn't want to play for a losing/rebuilding team.

Bullshit.

Look at Milwaukee, they suck.

Had the Cubs offered him 3 years and more money than Milwaukee (which the Cubs have PLENTY of despite the idiots claims) he would still be playing 3B for the Cubs.

BearsWillWin

Liked Posts:
basically we're better then our record says,

Where exactly does being better than your record get you?

Freakyslow15

Liked Posts:
The topic of discussion is Eric Chavez, not Mark Prior. Mark Prior didnt show last year he was still a good pitcher with something left in the tank like Chavez a good hitter.

On what planet did Eric Chavez show last year that he was still a good hitter with something left in the tank? He showed the same thing he's shown us for the past 6 years- he's injury-prone.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
On what planet did Eric Chavez show last year that he was still a good hitter with something left in the tank? He showed the same thing he's shown us for the past 6 years- he's injury-prone.

On what planet has Ian Stewart or Luis Valbuena shown they have ever been even decent players?

I will take a better player who gets hurt over a plain bad player all day every day.

At least with the hurt player you get some decent production. With bad players you don't.

Clearly you prefer the just plain bad players.

Freakyslow15

Liked Posts:
On what planet has Ian Stewart or Luis Valbuena shown they have ever been even decent players?

I will take a better player who gets hurt over a plain bad player all day every day.

At least with the hurt player you get some decent production. With bad players you don't.

Clearly you prefer the just plain bad players.

I have never said Valbuena or Stewart are any good. I just said Chavez is always hurt- which therefore makes him unreliable. For someone who says "strawman" a lot, you sure do use it a lot in your arguments.

patg006

Liked Posts:
I have never said Valbuena or Stewart are any good. I just said Chavez is always hurt- which therefore makes him unreliable. For someone who says "strawman" a lot, you sure do use it a lot in your arguments.

Its not a 'strawman' when he looks at the alternatives to Eric Chavez, sees their shitty production compared to his, and prefers Chavez even with injury consistency to the alternative.

You think it makes him 'unreliable.' I see 325 average with great stats in 38 games before a very short DL stint. Then I look at Brent Lillebridge.

When he hit .280 with 16 home runs in 113 games and under 300 PAs. Thats more home runs than Stewart, Val, and Lillbridge combined in 2012. He knocked in 37 runs. Not imressive, no. Oh yeah. Val knocked in 17 last year. Stewart? 17 too. Knocked in more runs in less games. Took more walks, hit more doubles than all 3. Higher averages too, or is that not on your agenda?

So when I say, 4 million a year for an average commodity at 3B (a premier position) is better than what we see in front of us now, theres some substance behind it. And in case you're curious, Stewart makes 2 mil, Val and Brent together 1.7. So 3.7 million a eyar for 3 turds, or 4 million a year for an average player?

I know what I'm taking....

Freakyslow15

Liked Posts:
It is the very definition of strawman when I say how Chavez is used up and he counters with, "we'll, the Cubs' 3Bs are awful." I'm talking about Chavez. He cannot stay healthy. If the goal is to build a playoff contender/WS championship team, I would not want someone for whom 300 PA's and 16 HRs/37RBIs in the AL represents a good year. The fact that the current Cubs' 3Bs suck do not make Chavez awesome- he can't stay healthy.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Valbuena has actually been pretty damn good this year, .817 OPS and a 123 OPS+

Sure Chavez has been better, and I expect Valbuena to regress, but I don't think he's worth complaining about at this point in time.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
If the goal is to build a playoff contender/WS championship team, I would not want someone for whom 300 PA's and 16 HRs/37RBIs in the AL represents a good year.

This team is quite a ways away from being a playoff contender/WS championship team.

So we should just accept shitty players because they aren't a playoff contender/WS championship team?

The fact that the current Cubs' 3Bs suck do not make Chavez awesome- he can't stay healthy.

But it still makes him better than the current Cubs' Third basemen, which is the only point being made.

You are clearly living up to your screen name.